Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-21-2004   #1
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default Dolphins, Bears agree on mega-trade

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2682788
If it goes through...

For da Bears:
Tommie Harris and Adewale Ogunleye are a nice defensive line tadem...
Dont know who Grossman is going to throw to...

For the 'phins:
Booker can replace Boston...just imagine if Boston didnt get hurt and this trade still happened: Chambers, Boston and Booker??? Nice threesome...
Jason Taylor might see a couple more double teams this year

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004   #2
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Lions are so winning that first game now.

I love it. Good Trade ChiTown.
Old 08-21-2004   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

now all the Bears need is Derrick Johnson and they will have a fast and pretty nasty defense.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

The deal is pending due to Ogunleye reaching a contract agreement with Chicago before Saturday at 7pmET.

Last edited by TEXANS84; 08-21-2004 at 05:07 PM.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004   #5
jags98
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAN84
The deal is pending due to Ogunleye reaching a contract agreement with Chicago before Saturday at midnight.
I think it is unlikely this trade will happen, because of the Big Bucks involved. Thinkin about this trade I really dont know who would get the better end.
jags98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004   #6
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags98
I think it is unlikely this trade will happen, because of the Big Bucks involved. Thinkin about this trade I really dont know who would get the better end.
The Dolphins do, by far. There is also a 3rd round pick thrown in
Old 08-21-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihategeeks
The Dolphins do, by far. There is also a 3rd round pick thrown in
Well, the Bears are starting to get a Lovie Smith defensive line. That defensive line has a lot of speed and power with Ogunleye and Harris.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2004   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

the Bears get the better deal. Ogunleye is a premiere pass rusher in the NFL. he led the AFC in sacks last season with 15 and is still very young. Marty Booker is nothing special.
Old 08-21-2004   #9
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Booker had over 2900 yards, 16 TD, and 249 receptions over the last three seasons. That includes the season when he was injured. He's a good replacement for the crunch the Fins are in. Still a question as to who will throw him and Chambers the ball. Apparently Ogunleye and the Bears are far apart on the up front money he's asking for, and they're offering. They're offering 4million, and he wants like 12 million up front. On ESPN it's reporting the deadline is 7pm ET, and not midnight. Either way Rosenhaus is in for a long day.

ESPN
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to disagree about Booker. He'll have less impact than the Dolphins expect. From 83-85 the fairly average Tim Smith had 198 catches for 2977 yards and 12 touchdowns on an Oiler team that lacked weapons. Was he a great one? Of course not. He had good numbers on a bad team. Booker benefited in a similar fashion from his situation. Booker is IMO of course better than Tim Smith was but he's a band aid. The Dolphins are going to let a difference maker go to get a band aid.

I think they're crazy.
Old 08-21-2004   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

That's funny Vinny. You and I think the exact opposite thing for the exact same reason (only reversed, if I got that right? I've gone and confused myself again!)
Old 08-21-2004   #12
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
That's funny Vinny. You and I think the exact opposite thing for the exact same reason (only reversed, if I got that right? I've gone and confused myself again!)
Are you saying Jason Taylor benifited from Oguns Talent......
Taylor < Ogun

?
Old 08-21-2004   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

If I get this right I think that Booker benefited from a lack of other offensive options while I believe that Vinny feels that Ogunleye benefited from playing with Taylor. In other words we both think the player we're talking about (myself - Booker, Vinny - Ogunleye) is overrated but for different reasons.
Old 08-21-2004   #14
mes311
Rookie

Looks like the trade is official. $34 mil for 6 years, with $10 mil to sign and 5 mil roster bonus next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1864611
mes311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a bad deal for either team. The Fins weren't going to be able to sign Ogunleye. Miami might have gotten a future 1st, but how's that gonna save Speilman & Wannstedt's jobs? Booker is a vet and takes pressure off of Chambers. Too bad they couldn't get the Bears to throw in a RB.

Lovie Smith's specialty is d-line and he has some impressive talent to work with. Booker leaving may mean that former top 10 pick David Terrell is out of the doghouse and ready to finally contribute. 2nd year Justin Gage is the new Bear #1 WR.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I like Justin Gage too. Don't they have Berrian out of Fresno State too? He looked pretty quick from what I've seen of him. As far as the deal goes I am just glad to hear something positive for Miami. Seems like Rosenhaus did pretty good for Ogunleye. He got him most of what he wanted, and put him with a coach in Lovie that excells on defense. Looks like Farve, Harrington, and Culpepper have someone they'll be meeting very soon.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #17
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I think the Bears come out on top of this one, Ogunleye will make a nice addition to a good defense. Booker is a good receiver, but is not as good of a player at his respective position as Ogunleye, IMO.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #18
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Not a bad deal for either team. The Fins weren't going to be able to sign Ogunleye. Miami might have gotten a future 1st, but how's that gonna save Speilman & Wannstedt's jobs? Booker is a vet and takes pressure off of Chambers. Too bad they couldn't get the Bears to throw in a RB.

Lovie Smith's specialty is d-line and he has some impressive talent to work with. Booker leaving may mean that former top 10 pick David Terrell is out of the doghouse and ready to finally contribute. 2nd year Justin Gage is the new Bear #1 WR.

Getting Pressure on the QB won't matter much, if you can't generate offense yourself.

Defense wins Championships, Offense wins games. I don't see the greatest show on turf bailing Lovie out this time.
Old 08-22-2004   #19
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Lovie Smith is building a fast and athletic defense in Chicago. Chicago's offense will be ok since they mostly throw short dink and dunk passes. They still have Terrel, Gage, and Berrian which is decent.
Old 08-22-2004   #20
Mistril48
All Pro

I like how both teams did.

The Dolphins solved two problems (although granted not all their problems). They have a good option, opposite Chambers and they solved the problem of an unhappy camper, in Ogunleye. They also get a future first day pick. It may allow them to move up next year to get the pick they really want for their next coach ...

The Bears are trying to build a significant defense with a new coach and presumably he thinks Ogunleye will help. Time will tell.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read