Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-06-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We could be in for a very long season....

Prior to this offseason, we had an amazing number of holes to fill. All things considered, I think we filled the majority of those incredibly well. But to take off the steel blue glasses for a second, look at the following stats:

Flanagan - Major injury in 2004
Cowart - Major Injuries in 2001 and 2004
Weaver - Injury in 2005

So basically, our 3 biggest signing in Free Agency are all coming off recent injuries. Does this concern anyone but me??

Houston sports teams always end up with greater than average injuries per team (or so it seems). If we ar emissing some or all of these guys for multiple games, will we still be competitive??
Old 04-06-2006   #2
supertankman
Rookie

Hey, its the NFL, anything can happen, look what happened to Palmer; shredded his acl that possibly could be a career ending injury and this after he help lead bengals to the playoffs in over a decade?

Guys can bounce back, Seth Payne?
supertankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #3
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

I hope not but it probably will happen
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #4
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

On a more logical note, As far as injury problems, I figure we cant get any worse than last year? At least they have experience and leadership abilities that this team has been needing pretty bad so if they do go down they can mentor our younger guys.
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't worry, Reggie will be here to make next year the best season ever.

You didn't include Eric Moulds (guess he hasn't been hurt), so I figure he's the one who will get hurt and miss a lot of games. Shame though.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #6
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Houston sports teams always end up with greater than average injuries per team (or so it seems).
In poker, it's called confirmation bias. You have an expected outcome, so any time it happens it confirms your expectations. The bias is that if the opposite happens, it doesn't confirm anything to you.

Example - If you think that your pocket Aces never hold up, any time they get cracked it confirms your belief. However, if they hold up it seems like a rarity.
The reality is that AA is the best starting hand.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #7
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Prior to this offseason, we had an amazing number of holes to fill. All things considered, I think we filled the majority of those incredibly well. But to take off the steel blue glasses for a second, look at the following stats:

Flanagan - Major injury in 2004
Cowart - Major Injuries in 2001 and 2004
Weaver - Injury in 2005

So basically, our 3 biggest signing in Free Agency are all coming off recent injuries. Does this concern anyone but me??

Houston sports teams always end up with greater than average injuries per team (or so it seems). If we ar emissing some or all of these guys for multiple games, will we still be competitive??
I think I would be worried if they had a pattern of not making it through a year year after year. It also matters what kind of work ethic the individual has and how much they love what they do and work their A** off to get back on the field. I know Flanagan is that type of player. He is a hard worker and loves the game and works his butt off day in and day out.

Fluke injuries happen (trust me as a Bear fan I know), it is when a player misses games every year because of injuries is when I worry.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2006   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Injuries happen, and that is a fact that everyone knows when you play football. It's how you recover from your injuries that's important. It's usually not your fault when you get hurt, unless your an immobale QB trying to cross the goal line with the football and you get hurt for the rest of the season. Then, after all that, you don't make it in the endzone.
Old 04-06-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
Fluke injuries happen (trust me as a Bear fan I know), it is when a player misses games every year because of injuries is when I worry.
enter Zach Weigert...
Old 04-06-2006   #10
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

That's why we have the most used pre-season statement in all of team sports...

"If everyone can stay healthy."
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Don't worry, Reggie will be here to make next year the best season ever.

You didn't include Eric Moulds (guess he hasn't been hurt), so I figure he's the one who will get hurt and miss a lot of games. Shame though.
I could care less about Reggie Bush or Eric Moulds or any of those guys who touch the ball. The guys the Texans have who carry, catch and throw the ball were fine in 2005. It's everyone else who's the problem and I don't see much being done in that area.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #12
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

We've been hit hard by injuries before, and very few teams can overcome injuries to their most valuable players, ie. the Patriots last year. We're bound to have a couple guys go down to injury this year, but I definitely feel we've improved our depth at LB, offensive line, WR, and with the drafting of Bush, RB. With a little luck we should get a chance to see what Kubiak can do for this team with a decent NFL roster on his hands.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

As it sets right now with the O-line, the right side is already suspect IMO and with just one injury from center to LT and we are majorly screwed.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #14
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
You're making good points, but I still have a lot of faith that the coaching staff can make the players, um.....execute....better than last year's staff did.

I am hoping the injuries don't happen. Of course.
Old 04-06-2006   #15
el toro
All Pro

Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL.
Exactly. The best you can do as a NFL team is be prepared for the worst possible scenario. That's why we have over 50 players on the roster and not just enough to play.
Old 04-06-2006   #17
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Why do we not have any Monday night games? Say we draft Bush, We have Car and Johnson. That should be worthy of a Monday night appearance, right? No matter who we draft, Shouldn't we have atleast one Monday night game?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #18
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible
Why do we not have any Monday night games? Say we draft Bush, We have Car and Johnson. That should be worthy of a Monday night appearance, right? No matter who we draft, Shouldn't we have atleast one Monday night game?
Teams are given Monday night games based on their previous year's performance and/or popularity. The Texans should feel lucky to get Sunday day games, much less a Monday night game.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

After last year, our games should be on the Late, Late Show.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #20
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave350
On a more logical note, As far as injury problems, I figure we cant get any worse than last year? At least they have experience and leadership abilities that this team has been needing pretty bad so if they do go down they can mentor our younger guys.
yeah and well all teams have injuries. thats part of the game. the only reason why everyone notices it more in htown is bc of our lack of depth being a 5th yr franchise. i will say that even if we do suffer alot of serious injuries, our coaching staff wont let our team be as bad as last yr. there should be no reason to crap the playbook midseason this yr like last yr.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read