Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2006   #1
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 97639 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 4-3 Info?

We are all aware of the transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3 defense that the team will make this season, but does anyone have more specific detail regarding schemes?

I have read a few posts alluding to us being primarily a cover 2 type 4-3 and wondered if that were true.

Any of you couch HCs out there give us your thoughts.

Thanks
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
Mr Shush
Veteran

Frankly, most 4-3 defenses in the modern NFL use some variation on Cover-2 as their base.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #3
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I've heard some talk about running a lot of 4-3 over and unders and some complex-sounding blitz schemes in there too, plus I think they'll still have a 3-4 package since they still have three good DTs that could play the line in a 3-4. It sounds like the defense should be quite exciting and successful if our personnel adapt to it well.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

There really isn't too much you can do to a 4-3 defense. What you see, is what you get..... more or less.

Compared to a 3-4, it's less about scheming, and more about my guy is better than yours.
Old 04-05-2006   #5
outofhnd
All Pro

We are running a very simple and upfront basic 4-3. No Frills.

1. Because we are transitioning players and its the 1st year of the transition.

2. The assignments for each player stay about the same. Unlike the 3-4 where you blitz one time and another time you drop into man coverage. another time your drop into middle zone, or flat zone.

3. Obviously the complex 3-4 was not working. A simple 4-3 defense will get alot of these players back into the fundamentals of their position and assignments.

4. The Interior line of our 3-4 was not occupying all of the blockers thereby freeing up the linebackers to get in and make plays. A 4-3 allows 4 guys to continuously wear out an O line not give the opposing offense a breather by blitzing different gaps and rolling Coverages.

Dont expect an exotic 4-3 this year maybe as we add and solidify the defense in the coming years we will add some wrinkles but for now dont expect alot of different looks or hybrid defense.
Old 04-05-2006   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

In essence, our defense is moving from complex to simple, while our offense does just the opposite. For this one time, I will agree with thunderkyss on a topic.
Old 04-05-2006   #7
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

If you look at the Bears defense for example as a 4-3 defense. It has alot to do with discipline on the part of the players. Making sure each player knows his role and what gaps to fill. The theory is that if avryone hits their gaps the RB has no where to hit except a wall of players and then try to get around the line. Also by playing this way you have the opportunity to blitz the LB as well. Having 4 down linemen versus 3 really helps when you have a stud DE and DT because the 5 down linemen on offense will have to doubleteam one of the guys allowing one on one with the other players and that is where it comes to (like someone said earlier) my guy can beat your guy.

I think the big problem was that the run could not be stopped and there was not as much pressure on the QB. FI you get pressure on the QB often that is when he makes a bad throw and is picked off. Therefore, I think we have enough DT that can fill those spots for now, but maybe someone can comment on the DE positions... so we have a true pass rusher? I am being honest when I am asking as I personally do not know and need help with that one.

If the line gets to the QB fast the DBs look that much better because they are not out there on an island chasing the WRs around. Hell that is why every defense that played us looked like all pro DBs because the Oline sould not hold off the pressure.

It is going to be much better this year. I think with the players right now from FA and the experience we have improved 3-4 games over last year. Now if we get a strong draft with 3 impact players this year I can see a 9-7 year
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2006   #8
bdiddy
Veteran

Everyone that runs a 4-3 now has at least some variation of cover two. Essentially cover 2 is a type of zone. It allows you to use less athletic corners because of safety help. The defense is built on the model that you are going to make a team beat you by marching up the field with short chunks of yardage. Most teams, most defintely the Texans of last year, shot themselves in the foot when forced to drive the length of the field in this manner.
Old 04-06-2006   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 97639 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Everyone that runs a 4-3 now has at least some variation of cover two. Essentially cover 2 is a type of zone. It allows you to use less athletic corners because of safety help. The defense is built on the model that you are going to make a team beat you by marching up the field with short chunks of yardage. Most teams, most defintely the Texans of last year, shot themselves in the foot when forced to drive the length of the field in this manner.

With this description in mind, how much safety help could we reasonably expect? It is well documented here that there is very little faith in our safeties (coverage wise), espescially FS. Cover two seems to be like a scheme we might run occasionally, but not as a base, considering our safety situation.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

In a cover 2 situation, if you've got 2 recievers on the same side of the ball, that safety will most likely cheat to that extra reciever, in a base package, with a linebacker providing underneath coverage. Depending on how the recievers leave the line, and what kind of moves he makes, the safety will most likely leave that corner on an island. In most cases, the safety is reading the QB, trying to figure out what he's going to do. If you've got a good pass rush, then the QB will be forced to make the first move, giving the safety the advantage. If he's got time in the pocket, the safety has to make the first move, and looses the advantage, unless you've got a true shutdown corner...... my player is better than yours. Then the safety can forget about the covered reciever, and focus on the other. Release a tight end into the pattern(shockey, Dave Thomas, Witten, etc...) and the safeties job get's a lot tougher.

Bringing the safety down for run support(as opposed to cover 2) gives you a bit of that 3-4 unpredictability.... is the safety coming, or the SLB, WLB kind of thing. Can that safety fall back into coverage fast enough??

Personally, I prefer the 3-4......... always have. I think you have more options, more chances to cause confusion, which puts more pressure on the QB.....
Old 04-06-2006   #11
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
In a cover 2 situation, if you've got 2 recievers on the same side of the ball, that safety will most likely cheat to that extra reciever, in a base package, with a linebacker providing underneath coverage. Depending on how the recievers leave the line, and what kind of moves he makes, the safety will most likely leave that corner on an island. In most cases, the safety is reading the QB, trying to figure out what he's going to do. If you've got a good pass rush, then the QB will be forced to make the first move, giving the safety the advantage. If he's got time in the pocket, the safety has to make the first move, and looses the advantage, unless you've got a true shutdown corner...... my player is better than yours. Then the safety can forget about the covered reciever, and focus on the other. Release a tight end into the pattern(shockey, Dave Thomas, Witten, etc...) and the safeties job get's a lot tougher.

Bringing the safety down for run support(as opposed to cover 2) gives you a bit of that 3-4 unpredictability.... is the safety coming, or the SLB, WLB kind of thing. Can that safety fall back into coverage fast enough??

Personally, I prefer the 3-4......... always have. I think you have more options, more chances to cause confusion, which puts more pressure on the QB.....
A 4-3 is only effective with teams that have VERY STRONG players in their respective position. You do have some more options in theory, but the great thing about a 4-3 defense is that you can hide things from the QB such as if you are in man-to-man or zone. You can do this because you can give the QB the same look and at the last second you can switch man to man or stay in a cover 2.

Not many teams these days can pull off a 3-4 defense and be a top defense. In a 3-4 defense you need continuity with the players to know exactly what someone is going to do, when and where they are going to be. because if you don't you can and will get burned bad.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read