Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-05-2006   #1
RickDenver
Rookie

Default Bush's Signability

Who is his agent, and how likely is he to sign. I would hate to see the C. Bensen thing happen to us.
RickDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Thankfully, all we need to know is that its NOT the Poston brothers or Rosenhaus!!
Old 04-05-2006   #3
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

As the number 1 pick he will probably agree to a contract before draft day.
Old 04-05-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDenver
Who is his agent, and how likely is he to sign. I would hate to see the C. Bensen thing happen to us.
Joel Segal, don't know a whole lot about him but he has a decent number of players in the league and I think he has a couple other big-time draft prospects this year too (I seem to recall he also has Santonio Holmes among others). I don't anticipate any Cedric Benson-like problems, I'm sure they'll be negotiating his contract long before he is officially made our pick. Since we have the 1st overall pick, we can negotiate terms and even sign him to a contract before the draft, so once they make the final decision that he is our guy then I'm sure they'll get into contract negotiations and sign him ASAP, maybe even before the draft. I doubt his contract negotiations will last until training camp like Benson and some others.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #5
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
As the number 1 pick he will probably agree to a contract before draft day.
That is the intention of the Front Office if they plan to select him.

Actually, that is there plan if they are the #1 pick regardless of the player.

I suspect the amount will be outrageous due to all the hype. So be prepared,it is going to cost us.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #6
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Joel Segal, don't know a whole lot about him but he has a decent number of players in the league and I think he has a couple other big-time draft prospects this year too (I seem to recall he also has Santonio Holmes among others). I don't anticipate any Cedric Benson-like problems, I'm sure they'll be negotiating his contract long before he is officially made our pick. Since we have the 1st overall pick, we can negotiate terms and even sign him to a contract before the draft, so once they make the final decision that he is our guy then I'm sure they'll get into contract negotiations and sign him ASAP, maybe even before the draft. I doubt his contract negotiations will last until training camp like Benson and some others.
The problem with those contracts is the Alex Smith took such a long time to sign, so people under him didnt wanna sign because their contracts are based on how much he gets. Hence, why Benson and Brown took so long to sign, if Alex Smith got more or less than they intended, they'd feel screwed over so they played it safe to hold out afew days in camp. If Bush signs sooner than Smith did, you wont see as many holdouts as last year.
Old 04-05-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nflpa.org/Agents/agentProfile.asp?ID=19585

I would put him in the category of very signable based on what I've seen from him and the Texans history of signing early 1's.

Last edited by aj.; 04-05-2006 at 07:45 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2006   #8
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

i suspect them to open contract negotiations with both players and basically have a contract finalized but not signed just in case they need to trade the pick. they cover all their bases this way.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Its pretty much slotted. Isnt like a 10% raise of the previous years slot? QB's taken #1 always get more then any other position taken in that slot, so look up what Smith got last year and thats a good ballpark as to what Bush will get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #10
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
i suspect them to open contract negotiations with both players and basically have a contract finalized but not signed just in case they need to trade the pick. they cover all their bases this way.
They won't begin contract negotiations with Vince Young.
Old 04-05-2006   #11
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas

According to the chronicle after the USC pro day when it was annouced that Reggie Bush, his agent and someone in charge of marketing for him will meet with Bob McNair and Dan Ferens (he is in charge of negotiations) on thursday. It will also be a time to see the what the Texans might be offering and see what Reggie is looking for.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3766127.html
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #12
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

After we see his going rate of some odd 60 mil over 5 years with 25-30 mil up front we will probably be looking for a way to trade our pick. I do not see him asking for less than Alex Smith did last year because he is rate way higher than Smith was!

"The 49rs made history Monday by signing Quarterback Alex Smith. Smith became the highest paid rookie to the National Football League (NFL) earning $24 million guaranteed. The newest 49er will be paid $49.5 million (ESPN estimate) for a six year contract, with a potential of earning $51 million (Associated Press Estimate). "

http://www.bestsyndication.com/2005/...mith-49ers.htm
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #13
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave350
After we see his going rate of some odd 60 mil over 5 years with 25-30 mil up front we will probably be looking for a way to trade our pick. I do not see him asking for less than Alex Smith did last year because he is rate way higher than Smith was!
I don't think the price will make the Texans trade the pick. If they want Bush, which appears they do, they will pay him. There are ways to do so without breaking the bank all at once.
Old 04-05-2006   #14
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
I don't think the price will make the Texans trade the pick. If they want Bush, which appears they do, they will pay him. There are ways to do so without breaking the bank all at once.

I agree with you!! Mr McNair isn't afraid to shell out the money.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #15
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Looking at Alex Smith this past year, you have to stop and think about paying that huge amount, plus we are alreading forking over some 6 mil a year to D.Davis
Old 04-05-2006   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis is not making 6 million per year. His contract was 5 years 22 million and this will be his last year as a Texan because of a hefty jump in base in '07. His roster bonuses are manageable this year (one has already been paid) and his signing bonus proration is only 1 million per year.

Last edited by aj.; 04-05-2006 at 08:16 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Its the cost of having the #1 pick. Live with it or trade down. In NFL terms, its not that much when your talking about a potential superstar. Think of how much money we threw away with Stevens, Walker, Boselli, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #18
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Seems risky for a guy who will never carry more than 17 carries a game!
17 carries x 16 games if healthy 272 carries 25 mil signing bonus thats 91,911.76 a carry the first year LOL not counting base salary! Lets Say 4 catches a game 4x16 plus 17x16 rushing 21 total plays 21x16 thats 336 plays 25 mil sign bonus that is 74,404.76 a play. Holy crap!
Old 04-05-2006   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
McNair can make it work fiscally speaking, but is it worth it?

And how do you manage the cap with David Carr, Andre Johnson, and Dominick Davis? Take Davis out of the picture and it will still be difficult. It seems to me that Andre Johnson is going to want max money if a rookie RB is getting all that dough and he has paid his dues.

What makes it tougher is that we haven't even fielded a winning season yet or won three games in a row.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #20
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Its the cost of having the #1 pick. Live with it or trade down.
One more reason to trade down.

1. Don't tie up as much money in one player.
2. Pick up an extra pick
3. Finally fill one of our needs (upgrading OL and DE from horrible to great should be higher priorities than upgrading our RB from good to great)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read