Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-05-2006   #1
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Default Career Numbers on RB/VY Take a LOOK...

Reggie Bush Career Stats
Games Played 39
RUSHING ATT 433 YRDS 3312 LOSS 143 NET 3169 TD 25 AVG 7.32
PASSING ATT 3 COMP 1 YRDS 52 TD 1 INT 0
Two Point Conv 0
Receiving NO 95 YDS 1301 TD 13 AVG 13.69474
Punt Returns No 44 559 TD 3 AVG 12.70455
Kick off Returns NO 67 YDS 1522 TD 1 AVG 22.71642
CAREER TOTAL TD 43 POINTS 258

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDet...g=657&player=5

Vince Young Career Totals
Games Played 37
RUSHING ATT 457 YRDS 3448 LOSS 321 NET 3127 TD 37 AVG 6.84
PASSING ATT 718 COMP 444 YRDS 6040 TD 44 INT 28
Two Point Conv 2
Receiving NO 1 YDS 48 TD 0
CAREER TOTAL TD 81 POINTS 488

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDet...=703&player=10

Who is your #1 now that you can see the total career numbers!
I though Bush was a TD freak on Special Teams????? ONLY 4 TD's total???
Bush has a career Yard Per Carry higher at 7.32 VY 6.84
WOW I was a for sure gunner for Reggie Bush, I think this has me questioning the choice. I think Reggie Looked awsome, is the man more hype than truth??

Last edited by Frank_The_Tank; 04-05-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

...........Yawn...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #3
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

It is obvious that the realization we are taking Bush hasn't sunk in for some fans. Compare all you want. It won't alter the outcome.
Old 04-05-2006   #4
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

NOTE: I am Bias towards the #1 pick, I just found this mind blowing! And Vince played two fewer games as well!! Really odd in my opinion how the media makes things look in comparison to fact's!
Old 04-05-2006   #5
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

I wonder if the non-bias scouts look at these numbers. I mean alot of people make comments based on either their hate towards Reggie or their hate towards Vince. If you are a bias thrid party, the numbers speak a different language than what the media prevails. There are alot of comments like, Bush average Yards per carry is what makes him special, Vince Youngs is higher. Vince is super sccurate, he had 28 INT. Just food for thought!
Old 04-05-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI--3127 yds in 457 attempts is 6.84 ypc not 7.55. Whoever did the ypc calculation used net yards for Bush and gross yards for Young--not exactly apples to apples.

You also cannot just look at ypc on a QB and RB and conclude who is a better runner. The running is done at different times. By that standard, David Carr was a better rusher than every starting RB in the NFL last year since none averaged more than his 5.5 ypc. The comparison is simply spurious.
Old 04-05-2006   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave350
Reggie Bush Career Stats
Games Played 39
Two Point Conv 0

Games Played 37
RUSHING ATT 457 YRDS 3448 LOSS 321 NET 3127 TD 37 AVG 7.55
Two Point Conv 2

I also thought Bush had a higher Yards Per Carry than VY??? VY 7.55 RB 7.32
WOW I was a for sure gunner for Reggie Bush, I think this has me questioning the choice. I think Reggie Looked awsome, is the man more hype than truth??

2006 is a scary good draft. Arguably, last year, both Young and Bush had performances that could easily rank among the best years ever for a college athlete AS JUNIORS.

See e.g.: Link: ESPN pg2 Best individual college football seasons

And you have Mario (measurables compared to Peppers), D'Brick and any number of guys that could be pretty dang good.

And you say "Only 4TDs?" Do you want him to walk on water too? After a while a great returner will stop getting challenged because they know what he can do and they will kick away.

We are gonna get a remarkable player. McNair has expressed an interest in a player that means we win faster. It is looking like that translates into a show of support for Carr and getting Bush.

You might be sad that VY is not likely to be a Texans player, but Reggie ain't chopped liver. We are not gonna be settling.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2006   #8
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Stat lines don't define either of these players.

In regards to VY and his rushing avgerage, QB's should have a high ypc average because the defense is so spread out when they take off. You know who had the highest YPC for the Texans last year? David Carr at 5.5 YPC.
Old 04-05-2006   #9
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Reggie Bush Career Stats
Games Played 39
Two Point Conv 0

Games Played 37
Two Point Conv 2

I also thought Bush had a higher Yards Per Carry than VY??? VY 7.55 RB 7.32
Give it up, it's BUSH. The cards have been played.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #10
KSig44
Veteran

WOW, VY was the better college player. But who owns a Heisman?

You can scrap those rushing yards for Young though, no way he runs like that against bigger and faster LB's and safteys. Esspecially at a 4.57.
KSig44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #11
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
FYI--3127 yds in 457 attempts is 6.84 ypc not 7.55. Whoever did the ypc calculation used net yards for Bush and gross yards for Young--not exactly apples to apples.

You also cannot just look at ypc on a QB and RB and conclude who is a better runner. The running is done at different times. By that standard, David Carr was a better rusher than every starting RB in the NFL last year since none averaged more than his 5.5 ypc. The comparison is simply spurious.
3127, where did you get that number???? OHHH I made a mistake, my bad, you are right 6.84
Old 04-05-2006   #12
el toro
All Pro

The shotgun and ad-lib rushing play won't exist in the NFL so you can take Young's #s and flush them.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3127, where did you get that number???? OHHH I made a mistake, my bad, you are right 6.84
A little further along the stat line in your original post:

Quote:
If you do the calculations you can see whoever did the calculation used gross yards on Young and net yards on Bush. Either way one should be used for both--I gave you the net since it is the more conventional measure.

Young gross ypc 7.55, net ypc 6.84
Bush gross ypc 7.64, net ypc 7.32

Italics being the original comparison. As you can see, Bush actually averaged higher in any apples to apples comparison.
Old 04-05-2006   #14
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

The correction have been maid!
Old 04-05-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Let's look at this point of view from a different direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Stat lines don't define either of these players.

In regards to VY and his rushing avgerage, QB's should have a high ypc average because the defense is so spread out when they take off. You know who had the highest YPC for the Texans last year? David Carr at 5.5 YPC.

If you look at Carr's YPC in college, they were dinky.

93 rushes for 74 yards, .8 av yards per attempt, 5 rushing TDs in his final season.

David Carr has better than average wheels for a QB, but he does better when he stays in the pocket.

If Carr had 5.5 YPC after the anemic running he did in college, what would a Young be able to do, whose college stats are beyond comprehension?

I know people like to denigrate Young, partially because of the ardor of some of the pro-Young posters, (and maybe partly to make themselves feel a little better that he isn't coming here or is gonna go to a competitor), but if I were a betting person, looking at VY's stats and play, I wouldn't bet against him succeeding on the next level.

I just don't understand why people have to be ugly on this subject. It is funny to me because folks accuse us women folks about being all emotional about stuff, but the whole VY/Bush rhetoric is beyond hysterics.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #16
KSig44
Veteran

And defenses don't expect Carr to run. He can't beat them running. defenses will be expecting Young to run, will he have some success, sure. But if Michael Vick struggles to scramble while running a sub 4.4, how will young do if he runs the same speed as most LB's?
Old 04-05-2006   #17
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

The numbers prove that they are going to both be better at the next level! I just wanted to bring to life actuall facts based on performance of these two players. Agruments have been maid about their ability, I just found if funny that stats show a much more productive player out of Young, and the hype of Reggie Bush as this super special teams player is bogus! hE IS A GOOD special teamer but Mathis is way more of a threat!
Old 04-05-2006   #18
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
If you look at Carr's YPC in college, they were dinky.

93 rushes for 74 yards, .8 av yards per attempt, 5 rushing TDs in his final season.

David Carr has better than average wheels for a QB, but he does better when he stays in the pocket.

If Carr had 5.5 YPC after the anemic running he did in college, what would a Young be able to do, whose college stats are beyond comprehension?

I know people like to denigrate Young, partially because of the ardor of some of the pro-Young posters, (and maybe partly to make themselves feel a little better that he isn't coming here or is gonna go to a competitor), but if I were a betting person, looking at VY's stats and play, I wouldn't bet against him succeeding on the next level.

I just don't understand why people have to be ugly on this subject. It is funny to me because folks accuse us women folks about being all emotional about stuff, but the whole VY/Bush rhetoric is beyond hysterics.

I wasn't knocking Young or comparing him to Carr. Just pointing out that QB's who scramble should have a high YPC.
Old 04-05-2006   #19
KSig44
Veteran

But they are two differant animals. With Young, running will be a focus of defenses, with Carr it isn't. If D's focused on Carr running, it would be closer to the college YPC.
Old 04-05-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick

I know people like to denigrate Young, partially because of the ardor of some of the pro-Young posters,
There is nothing denigrating in what wags or I was observing. It is a simple fact that there is a difference between running as a RB and running as a QB. There is no relation between ypc for Young and for Bush just like there isn't for Carr and DD. Guaranteed you line up Carr and Young as RB's and they won't have the same ypc.

As for the Carr .8 ypc in college vs. 5.5 ypc in the pros you have a classic case of having to look beyond the stats. Carr had decent to good protection in college and no designed run plays. Folks have been very surprised at his mobility in the NFL because he didn't have to display it in college, but he still isn't such a rushing threat that teams are game planning against his rushing. The situation isn't the same for Young where he has had all sorts of designed running plays, option plays and has been game planned against as a rusher. There just isn't any realistic connection between .8 is to 5.5 so 6.8 is to 40 ypc.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read