Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-05-2006   #1
TJFord
Rookie

Default A legit question for RB/VY fans

As it is likely that Reggie Bush will be the guy, let me ask both sides of this debate a question.

For the Bush contingent:
If we draft Bush and he turns out to be just above average playing for us and VY turns into the second coming of Steve Young, will you guys take the ribbing for being wrong?

For the Young posse:
If RB turns out to be Barry Sanders-esque with Faulk's ability to catch the pill and Young ends up spending his career running around like a chicken with its head cut off, will all of you take your lumps?
TJFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFord
As it is likely that Reggie Bush will be the guy, let me ask both sides of this debate a question.

For the Bush contingent:
If we draft Bush and he turns out to be just above average playing for us and VY turns into the second coming of Steve Young, will you guys take the ribbing for being wrong?

For the Young posse:
If RB turns out to be Barry Sanders-esque with Faulk's ability to catch the pill and Young ends up spending his career running around like a chicken with its head cut off, will all of you take your lumps?
I will be the first in line to eat crow if reggie is successful in the NFL. I am probably the most vocal Vince supporter on this board, but if i am wrong I am wrong and i will own up to it. I ate crow over Sean Taylor.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #3
whiskeyrbl

Bush supporter here, IF ........ yea will take it,also wonder if the VY supportes will be amongst the Thousands chanting REGGIE....REGGIE....REGGIE,as he amazes people in disbelief of "How in the hell does he do that?"week after week.
Old 04-05-2006   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
Bush supporter here, IF ........ yea will take it,also wonder if the VY supportes will be amongst the Thousands chanting REGGIE....REGGIE....REGGIE,as he amazes people in disbelief of "How in the hell does he do that?"week after week.
I can answer that. Yes. Like i said, once they put on the uniform, they become texans and i support them 100% blindly. Adolf Hitler could be a player for us and he would still have my undying support once the first game is kicked off. Im a team fan, not a prospect fan.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #5
BeReal
Rookie

As a Bush guy, I'll definitely concede that it didn't turn out as expected. However, I would still believe it was the right decision to make.
BeReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #6
el toro
All Pro

I think Young can be a special player in this league...in 2010 or so. Bush will be a special player next September. To me, that's the major difference between the two.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #7
TJFord
Rookie

Obviously from my name i'm a UT guy, but all of that aside i really think that Bush is being set up to fail by how high some of these expectations are. I can see how talented he is, but he is one guy playing a position that really isn't just a have to have on this team. I am willing to trust that those who get paid to make these decisions know more than I do, but I do not think that either of these guys (Bush and Young) are going to be all-pro next year or that either will make us significantly better next year. You guys are kidding yourselves or just too young to understand how horrible this team was last season. We will be lucky to have a below average offense and an average defense next season...
TJFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2006   #8
KSig44
Veteran

Your right on Young, he won't start next year no matter where he goes. He is considered a project wit ha huge upside by most NFL teams.

Bush probably won't be OROY, and there will be some focus on him. But with the moves made this offseason, opposing defenses will have to watch 5 (Johnson, Davis, Putzier, Moulds and Bush) guys instead of two last year (Johnson and Davis). This will open up things a lot more and everyone should see more success.
KSig44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
I'd like to have said something like this in VY's favor, but chose not to in fear of "VY isn't superman" backlash.

But I think both will be amazing players........ I think both are rare talents. I don't think Reggie will mean anymore to his team, than D'Angelo, Mauroney, or Addai, regardless of when they get drafted. Vince on the other hand...... is worth waiting a year before he hits the field... there is no position on any team more important than QB......

So..... the only way I'll eat any crow, is if Vince Fails....... regardless how Reggie does.....

I'll have another serving, if David Carr leads us to a play-off victory, and if he wins us a SuperBowl, I think I'll have to run naked through Houston, or something to that effect.

But I truly expect Reggie to do most of the things expected of him.
Old 04-05-2006   #10
BeReal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig44
Your right on Young, he won't start next year no matter where he goes. He is considered a project wit ha huge upside by most NFL teams.

Bush probably won't be OROY, and there will be some focus on him. But with the moves made this offseason, opposing defenses will have to watch 5 (Johnson, Davis, Putzier, Moulds and Bush) guys instead of two last year (Johnson and Davis). This will open up things a lot more and everyone should see more success.
Probably won't be OROY? I think he stands as much chance as anybody if not more. I'm not saying he'll be all-pro his 1st year but he'll definitely get his reps and opportunity to show what he can do.
BeReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #11
KSig44
Veteran

I think whichever rookie RB that goes to Indy will be OROY. nothing against Bush, but that is the optimal opportunity for any player coming into the league.
Old 04-05-2006   #12
Tejaspro
Veteran

I am a Texan fan.... not a Bush or Young fan. Who ever the Texans pick will get my loyalty and support. Which ever one turns out to be the best... I hope the Texans pick him. However, since we don't know the answer to that question, I believe the best bet is to pick the player with the least amount of concerns. In other words.... the safest pick. I believe that player to be Reggie Bush.
Tejaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they will both be great players but you can take away a great back when you play them (ask Earl). It's much harder to deny a great QB. Just because you like one guy doesn't mean the other guy is chopped liver.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I like both and think they will both be good to great players in the NFL. I just prefer Bush for our needs. Others (like Vinny) like them both, but prefer VY. What stuns me is how many people that want one scenario (Bush, Young, trade down, or draft someone else at #1) feel so negatively about the other scenarios. It is like watching a junior high debate team in action.
Old 04-05-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
It is like watching a junior high debate team in action.
Wow, that's a generous description.
Old 04-05-2006   #16
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I will eat crow if that is the case. I want us to take Reggie, but I do believe they will both be terrific players.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #17
Eyeguy
Veteran

We can play Bush and DD this year, if we draft VY he sits this year. Bush help the team right away.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig44
I think whichever rookie RB that goes to Indy will be OROY. nothing against Bush, but that is the optimal opportunity for any player coming into the league.
Indy is gonna have a rough year this year. Edge had alot to do with the sucess of that O and it will show this year. Besides, they arent a run first O, so I doubt the rookie RB steps in and smashes it up like that. Look out for the RB Denver takes in the first round, that is gonna be your OROY.
Old 04-05-2006   #19
KSig44
Veteran

I don't toally disagree with Denver, throw in a New England Rookie RB also. Denver is a RBBC though, Dayne and Bell will see a lot of touches. Indy is a pass first team, but with so many weapons going long, it frees up the line of scrimmage on play action and allows more room for the RB. Teams will focus on pass first against Indy, this is why a RB will succeed there.
Old 04-05-2006   #20
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
...What stuns me is how many people that want one scenario (Bush, Young, trade down, or draft someone else at #1) feel so negatively about the other scenarios....
Aside from the "homerism" that can't help but exist because we are human...

I think it's because everybody believes they know what's best for the Texans and they really care. They know the stakes this year.

I'll take the Houston Texans Junior High Debate Team over a sad bunch of apathetic, previous millenium glory dwelling, white wine swilling, sushi-with-chopsticks eating Niner fans every single time.

bad is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read