Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2006   #1
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default Lance Z's comments on our new look offense

On 610 this morning Lance said he thinks people shouldn't get too excited just yet about the new offense b/c he believes the Texans will be lucky to have 2 games where they score at least 20 points. What??? (by the way, Granato emphatically disagreed)

I agree w/the part about fans getting too excited just yet, i mean the team has to gel and master the new schemes before putting up the big numbers and that doesn't happen overnight. But c'mon, 2 games w/at least 20 points???

Discuss.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
el toro
All Pro

They scored 20 or more points in five games last season. Not the first time a talking head has said something incredibly stupid...
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

You misheard him. Granato was talking about having a top 10 O and somehow 23 ppg got thrown out. Lance doubted they would average 23 ppg but said they should do better than scoring more than 21 points in just two games--a reference to last year when the O only had two games with more than 21 points.
Old 04-05-2006   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont give me that "Gel" crap. Or that "master the new scheme" crap. Im tired of everyone letting crappy play slide, because they need time to "gel"

Some other teams shuffle the lineup every year, and sometimes all season long.

A good team/coach will make it work. Not use excuses like we need time to gel.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #5
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think this is the perfect time for fans to be excited. It's a new year, a new scheme, a new head coach, the first pick in the draft...if you can't be excited now, you need to up your meds.

BTW, I think the Texans will have more than two halves where they score over 20 points. I may be wrong, but I'll always choose happy optimism over bleak hopelessness.

Lance needs to up his meds.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #6
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
You misheard him. Granato was talking about having a top 10 O and somehow 23 ppg got thrown out. Lance doubted they would average 23 ppg but said they should do better than scoring more than 21 points in just two games--a reference to last year when the O only had two games with more than 21 points.

Hmmm, possibly, but i'm 99.9% sure thats what i heard. Is this Lance by the way? LOL

But hey if i'm wrong, sorry, just delete this thread b/c its pointless now i guess.
Old 04-05-2006   #7
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

This came from the same guy who said his dream scenario for the draft is to trade down to #4, then trade back up to #2 to take Vince
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags
This came from the same guy who said his dream scenario for the draft is to trade down to #4, then trade back up to #2 to take Vince
No--that was Rich Lord in the afternoon after saying it was his fantasy to keep his man crush no VY alive (his words).
Old 04-05-2006   #9
el toro
All Pro

Quote:

The talent and coaching will be there to average 23 a game, assuming that they select Bush.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #10
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No--that was Rich Lord in the afternoon after saying it was his fantasy to keep his man crush no VY alive (his words).
I think Rich Lord's man-crush on VY is because his wife is a UT alum. He might still like him, but I think she's behind the curtain.
Old 04-05-2006   #11
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

John is just a realist. I'm high on the Texans as well... but will keep my distance from playoff talk just yet.

I just don't want to hear anymore excusses about how this team needs time, your time is fading fast, and the Cowboys fans are just getting more ammo every year to run their mouths.
Old 04-05-2006   #12
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
You're right, my bad. He's an idiot too. I like Charlie on 790. He sees things from every side & he actually replies to emails. Oh yes, he talks about sports too, that helps.
Old 04-05-2006   #13
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:

This guy is dumb especially when you can get Vince (if they wanted him, ANOTHER THREAD) around the 10th pick of the draft. Leinart is going to be the FIRST QB taken in the draft.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #14
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
The talent and coaching will be there to average 23 a game, assuming that they select Bush.

You only need to average 1 point more than your opponent, because if I am correct, THAT IS A WIN!!!
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #15
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

anyone who doesn't think this offense will be leaps and bounds better than last year just doesn't see the picture in front of us...we now have a ligit #2 reciever, we now have a ligit TE, and we now have both a head coach that understands offense, and an offensive coordinator who has never been discribed as a very conservative mind...the only part of the team i think might need to gel is the o-line...but mckinney and pitts have played together for 4 years now...flanagan is all-pro center who knows how to get the job done...and weigert is a guy who is gonna do his part as long as he's healthy...now we just need wand and weary to start doing their part and then we'll be just fine
Old 04-05-2006   #16
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
Dont give me that "Gel" crap. Or that "master the new scheme" crap. Im tired of everyone letting crappy play slide, because they need time to "gel"

Some other teams shuffle the lineup every year, and sometimes all season long.

A good team/coach will make it work. Not use excuses like we need time to gel.
Wow, that's kind of harsh. Yes, many team infuse new players every year. But rarely do you see a team who gets a new coach, new system and lots of new players, and then goes on to do well imediately. Usually, one of those is taken out. i.e. New coach comes in with slightly different system, same players still ahev chemistry. Or same coach, same system, some new players. But when all three are new, theres going to be days where they take off the training wheels and fall flat on their face.
Old 04-05-2006   #17
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
You only need to average 1 point more than your opponent, because if I am correct, THAT IS A WIN!!!
If you game by game that is true. Over the course of a season that can be skewed. If you win one by 16 and lose the next 15 by 1 you are still going to be averaging more than your opponents, but you'll be 1-15. As long as the wins are there, I don't care how many points are scored. I would love to see some fireworks, though.
Old 04-05-2006   #18
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Wow, that's kind of harsh. Yes, many team infuse new players every year. But rarely do you see a team who gets a new coach, new system and lots of new players, and then goes on to do well imediately. Usually, one of those is taken out. i.e. New coach comes in with slightly different system, same players still ahev chemistry. Or same coach, same system, some new players. But when all three are new, theres going to be days where they take off the training wheels and fall flat on their face.
I was just about to reply to mr. know-it-all but ya beat me to it. The key word you said was 'immediately'. For sure the Texans' O is gonna be leaps and bounds better, but its not happening overnight, they gotta work hard and yes i agree they will make plenty of mistakes. But in the long wrong assuming everything goes to plan, we will have an offense to be reckoned with.
Old 04-05-2006   #19
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
You're right, my bad. He's an idiot too. I like Charlie on 790. He sees things from every side & he actually replies to emails. Oh yes, he talks about sports too, that helps.
I started listening to Pallilo alot more as well. It's amazing how he doesn't have to talk over someone else, he's incredibly smart, he actually takes calls, AND there are fewer commercials to listen too.

After 5pm, I'm 790 all the way....I just wish they had something to take the place of that crap on 610 mornings!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #20
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Yeah, I wish 790 would do local sports in the morning instead of Mike & Mike.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read