Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who won't be the starter?
Travis Johnson 15 21.43%
Robaire Smith 3 4.29%
Seth Payne 52 74.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2006   #1
Rovator
Veteran

Default Which DT is the odd man out?

I realize we will probably rotate our DT's and they will all get a lot of playing time, but which of our big 3 DT's will not start/get the least playing time?
Rovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

I think Payne will start the season but by midway TJ will be getting most of the snaps.
Old 04-05-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Without looking it up, who had the most sacks on the DL last year?--in fact almost 3 times more than anyone else (despite being pulled in passing situations)? Hint--it is a guy most folks seem to think should be on the bench.
Old 04-05-2006   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

That's kind of a tricky question. So I'll answer it in a couple of ways. Seth Payne will be the eventual odd man out. He's the seasoned veteran, and he'll end up going the way of Walker & Glenn. I really hope he retires as a Texan as I love his character and his intensity. He will, however, be a starter on gamedays. Being a starting DT on gameday alot like being a starting WR on gameday. You're basically just the first pair of players to head out to the field at your position, but most or all players at your position will rotate in through out the game.

I think that TJ will probably end up being the DT who takes the fewest snaps. He'll likely only come in to give Payne or Smith a break, and for passing situations. Those will likely include TJ & Weaver inside with Babin & Peek/Kalu on the ends. There's a chance that Smith will stay in alongside TJ on some passing situations with Weaver & Babin/Peek on the ends. That particular set up would allow us to be solid against the run & pass. I think TJ will really shine now that we're switching to a 4-3. He'll be able to showcase his skills as a one gap DT. I'm certain he'll be able to make a lot of fans see why he was a 1st round talent. He'll garner more snaps next season, and Payne could perhaps be gone as soon as next year. It would be sad to see him go though.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Without looking it up, who had the most sacks on the DL last year?--in fact almost 3 times more than anyone else (despite being pulled in passing situations)? Hint--it is a guy most folks seem to think should be on the bench.
Very true. I can't find any stats for it, but it would seem to me that Payne was in for more plays than TJ. I would think that his sacks & QB pressures would increase with more playing time & experience. JMO
Old 04-05-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Very true. I can't find any stats for it, but it would seem to me that Payne was in for more plays than TJ. I would think that his sacks & QB pressures would increase with more playing time & experience. JMO
No doubt TJ was in for fewer snaps and I am not taking anything from him. The point was more about Payne being underrated by most Texan fans--dude is a solid two gap player who as it turns out by late season and recent reports is a leader in the lockerroom and can penetrate when he reads a pass, generally after shoving the middle of the pocket back. TJ, Smith and Walker should have benefitted from getting the snaps on passing downs and didn't get the job done in comparison--combined they got less sacks on what had to be far more snaps.
Old 04-05-2006   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
No doubt TJ was in for fewer snaps and I am not taking anything from him. The point was more about Payne being underrated by most Texan fans--dude is a solid two gap player who as it turns out by late season and recent reports is a leader in the lockerroom and can penetrate when he reads a pass, generally after shoving the middle of the pocket back. TJ, Smith and Walker should have benefitted from getting the snaps on passing downs and didn't get the job done in comparison--combined they got less sacks on what had to be far more snaps.

I see your point now, and I agree whole-heartedly. Payne doesn't get the respect he deserves. He's always been solid, when healthy, and a leader on defense. A class guy on and off the field all the way.
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2006   #8
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovator
I realize we will probably rotate our DT's and they will all get a lot of playing time, but which of our big 3 DT's will not start/get the least playing time?
i think robaire smith is set in stone. seth payne will play run situations and TJ plays pass situations....both get equal time.
Old 04-05-2006   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88375 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The D co-ordinator likes to get all his pressure from the D-Line so the two guys who can penetrate and get pressure will start in my book.

Let the LB's tackle... isn't that what we have brought in players like Cowart and Ranier for?
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 102779 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

payne's the best DT on the roster. that is, until we start playing the 4-3, then it's up in the air with robaire looking like he'll benefit most. travis johnson got stood up last year & looked like there wasnt a lineman in the league that couldnt manhandle him. he's got to prove that he's better than one of the other two before i'd give him the nod. yes, i know he's probably more suited for the 1-gap assignment, and payne's probably more suited for NT, but i've gotta go with proven on this one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read