Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-04-2006   #1
DreDaMan05
Rookie

Default Just Wandering

With Moulds and Walters now with the Texans and the possible draft of Reggie Bush, where do that leaves Mathis as a reciever? Help me out with this please!!!!
DreDaMan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We need more than two receivers, 'eh? Maybe he'll make the three spot.
Old 04-04-2006   #3
DreDaMan05
Rookie

Well I was thinking that Bush if we draft him will be the slot man in pass situations.
DreDaMan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Who knows how they'll use Bush (if they pick him). He has the potential for lining up in many places. We'll still need a solid #3, tho', especially a pure WR. With the NFL, you never know when one of your primary receivers could get hurt. *knocks on wood*
Old 04-04-2006   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Leaves Mathis right where he should be... our return man.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #6
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Mathis was never intended to be anything more than a 4th/5th receiver. If it wasn't for his 4.2 speed he wouldn't have gotten drafted, he is undersized, doesn't have great footwork (track speed as opposed to football speed) and the punter got the ball better than him during the all-star obstacle course. I hope the guy doesn't completly lose his job to Bush returning punts (punt return is more dangerous for blockers than returners), but I've never expected much in the way of receiving from him...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #7
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Mathis wil be a situtational player...he will go for the deep balls..Walters will probably be our #3 man
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2006   #8
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
We need more than two receivers, 'eh? Maybe he'll make the three spot.
the third reciever...nah maybe the 4th. i think kevin walter is the #3 mainly bc he is the kind of reciever that u can throw it to anywhere in the field. mathis is primarily a streaker to burn people deep, a more situational WR.
Old 04-05-2006   #9
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I think that you guys underestimate Mathis. I think that in three to four years he will be a solid #2, and this year he will get alot of the snaps at #3. He has amazign speed as we have seen. His route running will only improve as he receives new coachig, and if he has worked out with Carr this offseason like he should have, then he will definitely have better hands. I think that if he could just hang on to the ball, hed be very dangerouse.
Old 04-05-2006   #10
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I think that you guys underestimate Mathis. I think that in three to four years he will be a solid #2, and this year he will get alot of the snaps at #3. He has amazign speed as we have seen. His route running will only improve as he receives new coachig, and if he has worked out with Carr this offseason like he should have, then he will definitely have better hands. I think that if he could just hang on to the ball, hed be very dangerouse.
here is what I think.

With the addition of Moulds, a veteran, I pray he will be a great influence on these younger WRs including AJ. Continuing to challenge them and educate them on tricks of the trade of being a WR in the NFL. I do not think anyone underestimates Mathis, I just believe they want him to develop more, but until 3 years from now comes he needs to contribute and with AJ, Moulds, and Walter currently on the roster he will probably be the #4 and main KR because of his speed. I think if you sent Mathis over the middle against a Ray Lewis, he may not get back up
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #11
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

HULK, your avatar is freaking awesome !!!
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #12
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I still remember seeing Mathis catch that absolutely perfectly threaded TD pass Carr chucked him against the Browns last season, and thinking, where the hell has that been all year long.

I don't think Mathis runs precise enough routes or is handsy enough to be an every down WR, but I hope to see him at slot and in 4 wide.
Old 04-05-2006   #13
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I still remember seeing Mathis catch that absolutely perfectly threaded TD pass Carr chucked him against the Browns last season, and thinking, where the hell has that been all year long.

I don't think Mathis runs precise enough routes or is handsy enough to be an every down WR, but I hope to see him at slot and in 4 wide.

Oh you gotta have him in 4 WR sets. He is small enough compared to AJ, Moulds, and Walter that he will shoot out of nowhere like hot knife through butter for that long ball. I hope he catches it.

Here is a way to use Mathis now... With gaining Moulds and Walter (good blockers, you can use him on an end around... FAST FAST... You can start it with Bush taking the ball one direction making the defense bite on the run and then hand off to Mathis on the reverse. Then later you do the same thing and let bush keep the ball.

2 positive yardage plays!!!
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

He is a KR and a 4th/5th WR. He will come in every now and then and run a streak. I think he gets 2-3 TDs and a couple of long yardage plays and thats about it. Walters is the #3 and Bush is a situational slot when DD is in the back field. Maybe in 3-4 years with development Mathis becomes our #2 or #3 and has a nice little career, but thats years down the road.
Old 04-05-2006   #15
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Who knows how they'll use Bush (if they pick him). He has the potential for lining up in many places. We'll still need a solid #3, tho', especially a pure WR. With the NFL, you never know when one of your primary receivers could get hurt. *knocks on wood*
I like those combination of words. I think that it the WR core will look as follows:
1. AJ (der)
2. Moulds (still productive, and will draw D away from AJ)
3. Walters (will be a good posession WR)
4. Armstrong (I think is more established that Mathis)
5. Mathis (still unproven)
Old 04-05-2006   #16
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDaMan05
With Moulds and Walters now with the Texans and the possible draft of Reggie Bush, where do that leaves Mathis as a reciever? Help me out with this please!!!!
Walter has caught 30 passes in three years with one TD. Is that production so daunting?
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mathis won't be ready to be an every down player until the 2007 season. Although, if we need a Hail Mary pass, he's the perfect target.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #18
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Any word on Armstrong's status? I wouldn't discount him winning the number 3 job. He might not draw the paycheck that Walter does but he catches absolutely everything thrown in his direction.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #19
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
Oh you gotta have him in 4 WR sets. He is small enough compared to AJ, Moulds, and Walter that he will shoot out of nowhere like hot knife through butter for that long ball. I hope he catches it.

Here is a way to use Mathis now... With gaining Moulds and Walter (good blockers, you can use him on an end around... FAST FAST... You can start it with Bush taking the ball one direction making the defense bite on the run and then hand off to Mathis on the reverse. Then later you do the same thing and let bush keep the ball.

2 positive yardage plays!!!
Now you're talking! Misdirections and going deep quick has got to effect defense. If Mathis only catches one pass a game, the defense has got to consider him, which offers a better opportunity for the other guys. I want some excitement this year. I think I hear Carr drooling at all the options. If he can just stand up for 4 seconds. I would have Mathis catching about 80 passes a day to get the routes down and hold on to the ball.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Any word on Armstrong's status? I wouldn't discount him winning the number 3 job. He might not draw the paycheck that Walter does but he catches absolutely everything thrown in his direction.
According to Bengals fans Walter also catches everything thrown in his direction.... And perhaps a little more athletic as well...
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read