Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-04-2006   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default Jonathan Wells

Has anything happened to him, were is he, did he resign?????
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

He ain't a "zone blocking scheme" back. I thought Pittsburg would make a run at him with the buss gone. Good power back . He'll land on his feet somewhere.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
He ain't a "zone blocking scheme" back. I thought Pittsburg would make a run at him with the buss gone. Good power back . He'll land on his feet somewhere.
I don't know about that. He's big enough to be, but DD was/is a better red-zone back. I'm going to miss Wells, but we just don't need him anymore.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I don't know about that. He's big enough to be, but DD was/is a better red-zone back. I'm going to miss Wells, but we just don't need him anymore.
Agreed, Wells has the size to be a good power back but he doesn't run like one, I'm not especially going to miss him. I've heard he whines a lot and isn't an overly hard worker, and although he was a pretty good special teams player he isn't going to contribute anything to our new offense with Bush, Davis, Moulds, Andre, Putzier, etc., so I'd prefer he goes somewhere that will actually let him be involved in the offense.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #5
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Agreed, Wells has the size to be a good power back but he doesn't run like one, I'm not especially going to miss him. I've heard he whines a lot and isn't an overly hard worker, and although he was a pretty good special teams player he isn't going to contribute anything to our new offense with Bush, Davis, Moulds, Andre, Putzier, etc., so I'd prefer he goes somewhere that will actually let him be involved in the offense.
once dd leaves and bush thrives, he can be the #2 big guy and come in like tatum bell and the other guy from denver
Old 04-04-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
once dd leaves and bush thrives, he can be the #2 big guy and come in like tatum bell and the other guy from denver
I don't think they're going to leave Wells on the roster until Davis leaves, assuming they even send Davis away in the next couple years. I'm sure Wells will create more problems if he is held on the roster in this type of role as well. Face it, Wells is gone, and his absence is not going to negatively impact this team, he is a decent special teams player, but that can be found anywhere, and if we feel we need a power RB then they'll go find a cheaper guy that actually likes to use his size and run people over. If anything, letting Wells and his sour attitude go will benefit this team more than it hurts it, similar to the release of Gary Walker.
Old 04-04-2006   #7
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think wells is gone too..... sounds like he complains in the locker room... and this staff is all about the character from what I hear
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I don't think they're going to leave Wells on the roster until Davis leaves, assuming they even send Davis away in the next couple years. I'm sure Wells will create more problems if he is held on the roster in this type of role as well. Face it, Wells is gone, and his absence is not going to negatively impact this team, he is a decent special teams player, but that can be found anywhere, and if we feel we need a power RB then they'll go find a cheaper guy that actually likes to use his size and run people over. If anything, letting Wells and his sour attitude go will benefit this team more than it hurts it, similar to the release of Gary Walker.
Well the first year I agreed with this. Posted in fact and ridiculded him on this board. I don't know about the whiney part, but from what I saw last year..he well earned his money. He was never a nifty runner, but last season I thought he ran with great athority. Someone is going to get a very good power back cheap. I still believe DD recieves too many touches per game. If Wells was upset with his PT, I believe he had a good argument. We'll see this year for sure won't we ? I wonder what DD's 'tude will be when we draft Bush and his PT goes down ? I bet he gets a 'tude also ? Watcha think ?
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully they will do a little better with the first pick on Day 2 this year than they did with this one.

I didn't care for Wells at all the first two seasons. It seemed like it took pt threats and that one-year deal last year to shake hm out of his laissez faire (sp) attitude. Anyone who picks him up this year would be wise to do the same.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #10
NeViKaN
Rookie

I like Wells. He runs hard and is pretty productive. I have not heard about his locker room problems.

I met him in Baltimore and he seemed like a nice guy.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is the only place I've ever heard/read of Wells having any kind of locker room problem or propensity to whine. I can't put much stock in that. I like the guy and I'd like to see him come back. If he doesn't I hope he does well somewhere else.
Old 04-04-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
This thread is the only place I've ever heard/read of Wells having any kind of locker room problem or propensity to whine. I can't put much stock in that. I like the guy and I'd like to see him come back. If he doesn't I hope he does well somewhere else.
Same here. Let's not have this turn into a manufactured fact that everyone just "knows".

I hope all the players that leave the Texans find success. It's just further proof that we had a bad system and the players that remain may be better than we thought.
Old 04-04-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

he does fine in zone blocking... he has shown that.

he is big but he isnt a power back..he is very durable though.

We could really use him back on the squad.

Last I heard we had tendered him a good amount, and a team would have to pay a 3rd rounder to get him from us. Something like that.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Last I heard we had tendered him a good amount, and a team would have to pay a 3rd rounder to get him from us. Something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_tlmn
I thought we cut him, right?!
Wells finished his 4th year in the league and thus completed his contract and was no longer eligible for restricted free agency. He went straight from on the roster to unrestricted free agent without any action, tender cut or otherwise by the Texans.
Old 04-05-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_tlmn
I thought we cut him, right?!
We didn't really cut him (his contract expired), we just haven't resigned him and I don't see them doing that with Bush, Davis, and Morency all on the roster. He is a decent special teams player but hopefully this coaching regime isn't going to reserve spots on the roster for special teams players like the last one did (probably half of our players last year should have only been special teams players).
Old 08-20-2006   #16
Sportsfan
All Pro

Where did Wells end up? I looked on NFL.com under players and didn't see him listed. Does that mean he hasn't made a roster yet?
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Wells is on a team. I think I remember reading somewhere that he wanted to see if he could be a starter somewhere. I am surprised that he hasn't even found a job. Maybe he's injured...
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #18
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Big like Tarzan, runs like Jane.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I don't think Wells is on a team. I think I remember reading somewhere that he wanted to see if he could be a starter somewhere. I am surprised that he hasn't even found a job. Maybe he's injured...
He isn't on a team, not especially surprising, and I don't know what team he thought he'd start for. If a team like the Jets that don't even have a decent starter (not sure if Kevan Barlow counts, assuming he passes his physical) doesn't even want Wells, I'm not sure where he expects to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Nice post, I wish I'd come up with it.
Old 08-21-2006   #20
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
+rep

Good one.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read