Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-04-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Time to give Charley a little credit...

We have all been quick to bash him (and rightfully so on many occassions), but this offseason I think he has done a FANTASTIC job in free agency. I don't know, maybe it's Kubiak behind the madness, but whoever it is deserves some praise!

And this Moulds deal is just a plain STEAL if we managed to sell them on our 5th round pick. I still like it even it was our 4th.

Now if we just carries this momentum into the draft! He really can't screw up the Reggie pick, unless he does something stupid and doesn't draft Reggie. But I think that's pretty much a done deal too!

Now I'm really getting excited for '06!!!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #2
stevo3883
All Pro

well im inclined to think its a combo of kubiak and mcnair realizing cass' philosophy sucked.

they know the fans want to win, and not another 5 year plan.
Old 04-04-2006   #3
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

I've heard (and read) from numerous sources that Casserly got the players that the coaches wanted ..... has he screwed up? Yes? Does he deserve a pat on the back for this offseason? Yes? ...
Old 04-04-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

heck, if that's all you gotta do, then I want his job........
Old 04-04-2006   #5
Tex-fan0604
Rookie

Charley doesn't deserve any credit because it was all Dan R. and Kubiak.
Tex-fan0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-fan0604
Charley doesn't deserve any credit because it was all Dan R. and Kubiak.
Reeves has not been with the team for awhile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #7
Sportsfan
All Pro

I for one have never bashed him, i like some of what he's done and dislike some of what he's done.
As for this offseason, i say the jury is still out. Wait until we get a few games into the season and then grade the offseason moves they made.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2006   #8
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
We have all been quick to bash him (and rightfully so on many occassions), but this offseason I think he has done a FANTASTIC job in free agency. I don't know, maybe it's Kubiak behind the madness, but whoever it is deserves some praise!

And this Moulds deal is just a plain STEAL if we managed to sell them on our 5th round pick. I still like it even it was our 4th.

Now if we just carries this momentum into the draft! He really can't screw up the Reggie pick, unless he does something stupid and doesn't draft Reggie. But I think that's pretty much a done deal too!

Now I'm really getting excited for '06!!!
Totally disagree with your steal idea. It is manageable with our 5th round pick and 4th would be very hard to swallow.

Keyshawn Johnson got cut and it looks like the Panthers picked him up for the same money we are going to pay Moulds. Both got a $5 million signing bonus. The Panthers didn't lose a draft pick.

But we needed the guy and we overpay a little with a 5th round pick. A 4th round pick and Buffalo got a very good deal considering they were going to cut the guy anyway.

At some point, I would like the Front Office to show some hand and walk on a deal like this and make the team cut the player. That would help in future negotiations, but we seem to drive the market up instead of paying the market. Remember Buchanon? I know the players are totally different, but there wasn't that much interest in him from other teams except for some appearance that we perceived.

Other teams don't trade for players before they get cut but we paid a premium with 5th round pick (hopefully) to land him and go for wins immediately.

Let's understand, Moulds could be on a significant decline in his career. That's why there were no other teams interested and they just would have waited for him to get cut and see if they could land a steal.

Moulds needs to maintain his same stats of about 80 rec and 800 yds and this will work just fine with the 5th round premium to guarantee him to come to Houston.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i for one have been one of the ones to burn casserly for last year's offseason and for the way the season went...but i will say this...this offseason has opened my eyes...i beleive the majority of the problem now falls on capers and i know beleive it was capers who wouldn't allow casserly to get the players we needed...i'm happy that we're starting to look like a competitive team that is not simply waiting for the draft...i hope casserly stays with us now...but i would not be surprised if he left to take the job for the NFL senior VP in new york
Old 04-04-2006   #10
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
Totally disagree with your steal idea. It is manageable with our 5th round pick and 4th would be very hard to swallow.

Keyshawn Johnson got cut and it looks like the Panthers picked him up for the same money we are going to pay Moulds. Both got a $5 million signing bonus. The Panthers didn't lose a draft pick.

But we needed the guy and we overpay a little with a 5th round pick. A 4th round pick and Buffalo got a very good deal considering they were going to cut the guy anyway.

At some point, I would like the Front Office to show some hand and walk on a deal like this and make the team cut the player. That would help in future negotiations, but we seem to drive the market up instead of paying the market. Remember Buchanon? I know the players are totally different, but there wasn't that much interest in him from other teams except for some appearance that we perceived.

Other teams don't trade for players before they get cut but we paid a premium with 5th round pick (hopefully) to land him and go for wins immediately.

Let's understand, Moulds could be on a significant decline in his career. That's why there were no other teams interested and they just would have waited for him to get cut and see if they could land a steal.

Moulds needs to maintain his same stats of about 80 rec and 800 yds and this will work just fine with the 5th round premium to guarantee him to come to Houston.

Being willing to part with the pick limits your competition for the player. If Moulds was cut by the Bills does he still sign with the Texans? I don't see that as a given.

As for Casserly, if all he is doing is getting the players the coach wants, that is important. Sure, he's not providing the grand football vision but it's not any less vital.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #11
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

el toro, agreed.

I just don't think paying for a 4th round pick to squeeze out any competition is worth it. I really don't like the 5th round pick trade, but you don't get everything in life.

Sometimes you have to play hard ball and be able to walk away.

What we do know also impacts future negotiations.
Old 04-04-2006   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Its hard enough to get quality guys to come here. Giving up a 4/5th pick isnt a big deal. Were we not willing to give up a 3rd for Buerlson (sp?)? I say no big deal as long as we can draft or develop one of our young guys to be a #2 by the time Moulds retires/leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #13
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't consider a 5th round pick a premium pick. I realize talent is still available in the 5th rounds, but you're talking about the final 100 players that will get drafted. It's not a 1st day pick, which is what I consider premium. It's not the 1st pick in the 4th round, which also has some good value. This was a necessary move for the Texans. There was no guarantee that he would sign here if Buffalo released him.

As a franchise that has yet to produce a winning team the Texans are not going to be in the driver's seats in these situations. Once the team starts winning and building the franchise they can force the situations by waiting until the player gets released because they will have the knowledge that the players will want to come here. The fact that we've been able to add a few probowl players this year tells me that we may be heading towards that point.
Old 04-04-2006   #14
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93
I don't consider a 5th round pick a premium pick. I realize talent is still available in the 5th rounds, but you're talking about the final 100 players that will get drafted. It's not a 1st day pick, which is what I consider premium. It's not the 1st pick in the 4th round, which also has some good value. This was a necessary move for the Texans. There was no guarantee that he would sign here if Buffalo released him.

As a franchise that has yet to produce a winning team the Texans are not going to be in the driver's seats in these situations. Once the team starts winning and building the franchise they can force the situations by waiting until the player gets released because they will have the knowledge that the players will want to come here. The fact that we've been able to add a few probowl players this year tells me that we may be heading towards that point.
Another thing to consider is that the team has two 3rd round picks. To me, turning a 5th rounder into a proven vet #2 WR is worth it on it's own. When you already have five picks in the top 100, I don't see it as a huge expense. You're already slated to end up with a good bit of incoming talent with those top five picks.

This team turned their 5th and 7th rounders into #2 and #3 WRs in the pros, not just prospects who might be good...someday.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93

Again, I totally disagree. I need to do the research on this, but I have a hunch that teams that win over and over and get to the playoffs, they have a lot higher percentage of their 5th round picks starting on their teams than the league average.

You are using the same rationale that Casserly used for the Buchanon trade.

I believe Domanick Davis was a 5th round pick.

Ummmmmm...

We overpaid a little but it can work.
Old 04-04-2006   #16
SESupergenius

All I heard since Capers firing was how these were the players Capers wanted and Casserly only got them for him, it was the coach that asked for these players. Hence Capers gets fired. Now Casserly is going to get credit for all the new acquisitions? No sir. Kubiak will get credit for these acquisitions just Capers got credited for his.
Old 04-04-2006   #17
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
Again, I totally disagree. I need to do the research on this, but I have a hunch that teams that win over and over and get to the playoffs, they have a lot higher percentage of their 5th round picks starting on their teams than the league average.

You are using the same rationale that Casserly used for the Buchanon trade.

I believe Domanick Davis was a 5th round pick.

Ummmmmm...

We overpaid a little but it can work.
Davis was the 4th pick in the 4th round.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6437
Old 04-04-2006   #18
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Kubiak and Reeves are making all the evaluations and personnel decisions. Cass is making all the phone calls. So he deserves credit for knowing how to work his Blackberry and having some command of the English language...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Thanks for clearing that up.

My point still stands though.
Old 04-04-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
All I heard since Capers firing was how these were the players Capers wanted and Casserly only got them for him, it was the coach that asked for these players. Hence Capers gets fired. Now Casserly is going to get credit for all the new acquisitions? No sir. Kubiak will get credit for these acquisitions just Capers got credited for his.
Bingo. Casserly shouldn't get too much credit for this, but he should be absolved from most of the problems in Caper's regime. I know that some will say that the GM should be more responsible for what goes on, but hey the system is working so why rock the boat?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read