Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-03-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default When will our coaching staff let us know what they are thinking?

Good question, but perhaps they are with what they are doing in FA. Let's start with the TE position. Most of us having been complaining that our TE play was non-exsistent and I suspect we could say they agreed. We now have a new TE who is far better than what we had with the hopes that BJ might come along. That would be a real plus.

To me the most interesting area is the WR coor. Last year at the start of the season I was not high on Gaffny and was worried whether he would make it back from injuries. I also listened to some of his interviews and my thoughts were he was not the brightest light bulb on the block. Many of us liked people like Armstrong and others, but almost all of us thought Bradford was a waste.

Well guess what folks, the new staff is telling us it was even worse than we thought. If you realize we did not fight for Gaffny and the WR core is essentially a new team except for AJ. We have gone out, it looks like, and gotten a number 1 receiver if AJ can't begin to prove himself. AJ needs to begin to run his routes and catch the ball, because it looks like we have found an older one who can. AJ has a lot of upside, but he's simply not developed as much as he should. I lay much of the blame for that on the previous staff and not AJ. He's a very salvageable #1 player and I believe the new staff believes that's the case.

How about the FB position? Well they have gotten someone who they think fits there scheme better than what we presently have. The gentleman is good on special teams and is a good receiver. This is a toss up and looks like a new player more because he fits the scheme rather than what we had at that position was bad.

How about DD? Right now it looks like they think well of him, but we will probably draft Bush because he's an unusual talent. Both will see a lot of time as both are excellent receivers. Bush of course would be the break away threat when compared to DD. Our pick ups here have nothing to do with the quality of DD's play when he is healthy.

The O-line is even more interesting. Many of us were saying McKinney stinks as a center. They have agreed with us and picked up a probowl caliber center and said McKinney was moving to guard. They released Brown because they said he didn't fit the scheme. The jury is out on Wade at the present time, but it looks more like he will depart the scene because he doesn't fit the scheme. Wiegert does seem to fit in so far, but that as long as he remains healthy. The real surprise in this is Weary who most thought wasn't worth the time of day. Apparently they see something in him and must believe the previous staff didn't know what they had or what to do with it. Wand is the one where we know the least, but many of us felt he was a victum of Pendry. If McClain's logic is correct the whole O-line staff over the last several years has been an abomination and that is being polite about it. I always felt Mr. B didn't hang around and help more because of the staff and what they were doing. That is simply a gut feel statement. So I would say the staff is seeing many of the weaknesses board members saw, but really like a lot of what we have. The draft perhaps might give us a different indication, but it looks more likely we will pick up players for the future with respect to the O-line.

Now about the QB position. I think they are telling us that Carr was a victum of his coaching and WR coor. Much more than any of us thought. If you think back about Carr hitting Bradford in the back with a pass that might sum it up real well. In fact that might have been intentional. I think our receivers have not been running their routes well, selling their routes, or perhaps even worse, not running the routes they were suppose to. In addition when the QB is in trouble the WR's are suppose to break back to the QB to help him. You don't wait for the ball you go back to give the QB a target. Remember, Gaffny saying how the crowd told him what was happening, but I think you will find he didn't break back to the QB. I have a feeling that is what the staff is in part telling us. It will be interesting to see how Carr looks and works with the new receiver coor as I don't think he has any excuses at this point in the game. This receiver coor should be able to adapt to a new QB if necessary. If Wand plays it looks like the receiver could be a TE, WR, FB, HB and even the RT. In other words there are going to be a lot of targets on the field on any given play. All of which it appears are very good at catching the ball.

Not much to be said so far about the Kicking and return games, but they could be improved by the draft. We did pick up a place kicker, however. May be they are worried about the injuries we have had in the kicking game.

Defense is interesting in that we have picked up a left DE. Everyone knew we couldn't stop the run and so we picked up someone who we thought could. Again the staff agreed with the board. Many wanted to see Peek and Babin get a better shot at rushing the passer and it looks like that will happen. Based on the fact that we haven't done much in this area it would appear we are content with what we have, but the draft might indicate otherwise. We have had a number of young players step up at times and I think the new staff feels we have better players than we think they were just being used in a horrible system.

Walker was jetesoned and Payne is still here. PBUC and Greenwood are still here. We have picked up some veterns on defense who should add some stability. Probably getting rid of Glenn was very bad, but there is nothing we could do about that because that occurred a year ago.

Funny, but a lot of what has happened is exactly what many board members wanted. Strange the number of complaints out there when you are getting what you want. As I have said so many times this year. Sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. I think its going to be a special one.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
We have gone out, it looks like, and gotten a number 1 receiver if AJ can't begin to prove himself.
There isnt a chance in this world that Moulds would be 1st string WR. Not in my town. AJ doesn't need to "prove" anything. He has repeated shown that, given the chance, he can make the plays that are required of him. He is considered one of the top 10 WR of those playing in the NFL as of last season. Moulds may be too, but Kubes wont be doing that.
Old 04-03-2006   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

IBAR,

I believe that last off-season you and I clashed a few times. I was supportive of the former regime and if memory serves, you were predicting a 4 win season. Last year, it became apparent that this staff was totally out of touch with the team. Bradford starting and Glenn being released were two glaring examples. Especially perplexing to me last year was the treatment of Wand and the fact that Riley was immediately handed the LT job despite his preseason performance and his 9 year track record.

Other personnel decisions that I couldn't understand was the benching of Glenn Earl, the antagonistic treatment of Peek (who was the only defensive player giving consistantly good effort), the disappearence of DArmstrong from the WR rotation, and there were others as well.

IBAR, you were dead on in identifying the problems with Capers and his staff. It took the TB preseason game for me to see it and the Buffalo game for me to acknowledge it. I think we're in agreement now though. It's going to be fun to see the reamergence of talent that wasn't displayed at all last season, as well as a lot of new blood. This team will definitely be better and much more interesting to watch.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
IBAR,

I believe that last off-season you and I clashed a few times. I was supportive of the former regime and if memory serves, you were predicting a 4 win season. Last year, it became apparent that this staff was totally out of touch with the team. Bradford starting and Glenn being released were two glaring examples. Especially perplexing to me last year was the treatment of Wand and the fact that Riley was immediately handed the LT job despite his preseason performance and his 9 year track record.

Other personnel decisions that I couldn't understand was the benching of Glenn Earl, the antagonistic treatment of Peek (who was the only defensive player giving consistantly good effort), the disappearence of DArmstrong from the WR rotation, and there were others as well.

IBAR, you were dead on in identifying the problems with Capers and his staff. It took the TB preseason game for me to see it and the Buffalo game for me to acknowledge it. I think we're in agreement now though. It's going to be fun to see the reamergence of talent that wasn't displayed at all last season, as well as a lot of new blood. This team will definitely be better and much more interesting to watch.
Thanks, I believe by the end of preseason I thought we would be lucky to win 1. Really though I appreciate the comments, but I'm wondering if others are seeing what I'm seeing. The WR makeover is big time. Its the difference between night and day. Equally, I'm watching the O-line and it just seems like a big confirmation of how bad the coaching was in that reguard. They won't criticize the previous staff, but I believe their actions say it all. Again, David should have no excuses this year. He has almost an astounding number of targets if we acquire Bush, and more importantly, they have the hands required to catch the ball. Its actually getting a little scary.

I get impatient at times, but its fun watching them make the moves. You can see a pattern and its exciting. Everyone should be very excited. Could this fall apart? Yea, it could, but I just don't think this will happen with this staff. We have a staff so far superior to the previous one its not even funny. As bad as the previous staff was this one is as good in the opposite direction.

In another post I was mentioning the route running and wondered whether that's why they threw out the play book at the beginning of last season as some have said. Gaffny was supposidly the only good route runner and he was injured and couldn't start the season. Bradford was supposidly just learning to run routes after how many years in the pros? It was crazy and the more they said the more inept they looked. It was a shame that so many years were wasted, but just may be we will have as equally amazing recovery to get back on track.

Last edited by Ibar_Harry; 04-04-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2006   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks, I believe by the end of preseason I thought we would be lucky to win 1. Really though I appreciate the comments, but I'm wondering if others are seeing what I'm seeing. The WR makeover is big time. Its the difference between night and day. Equally, I'm watching the O-line and it just seems like a big confirmation of how bad the coaching was in that reguard. They won't criticize the previous staff, but I believe their actions say it all. Again, David should have no excuses this year. He has almost an astounding number of targets if we acquire Bush, and more importantly, they have the hands required to catch the ball. Its actually getting a little scary.

I get impatient at times, but its fun watching them make the moves. You can see a pattern and its exciting. Everyone should be very excited. Could this fall apart? Yea, it could, but I just don't think this will happen with this staff. We have a staff so far superior to the previous one its not even funny. As bad as the previous staff was this one is as good in the opposite direction.

In another post I was mentioning the route running and wondered whether that's why they threw out the play book at the beginning of last season as some have said. Gaffny was supposidly the only good route runner and he was injured and couldn't start the season. Bradford was supposidly just learning to run routes after how many years in the pros? It was crazy and the more they said the more inept they looked. It was a shame that so many years were wasted, but just may be we will have as equally amazing recovery to get back on track.

For the past 2 seasons I questioned why we would start a 30 year old receiver who runs poor routes and can't catch. It perplexed me greatly. I couldn't comprehend how he was better for the team than Armstrong, Gaffney, or even Mathis. After all, if the knock on Mathis was that he ran poor routes and couldn't catch, at least he was faster than Bradford and certainly was more likely to improve.

It's very exciting what they've done at WR. Moulds is an excellent target with very good hands and he certainly understands route running and getting open. Putzier is a very good pass catching TE, who is a mismatch against most LBs and SS. The aray of combinations we will be able to throw out there to create mismatches is almost too much to comprehend. We could go big: Walters, Moulds, AJ, Putzier, BJ?... We could go fast: Mathis, Moulds, AJ, Bush... We have depth, talent, and most important, guys that can get open and catch the ball.

What is even more exciting is the prospect of the OL changes... not the personnel changes alone, but also what the staff will do with what we already had. Last year's offense was an absolute joke. In 2004, David Carr was statistically one of the best in the NFL at throwing the deep ball. Last year, he never seemed to throw to any receiver moving downfield- except the occasional swing pass to DD. Receivers were never open, a fact that was quite perplexing when I'd watch the other team's offense carve up our secondary.

I look forward to seeing David excel this year. I really thought he was on his way to being a special player through midseason of 2004. Hopefully, he will get back on track and even thrive with the new staff, system, and an array of talent to get the ball to.
Old 04-04-2006   #6
texman8
Veteran

Quote:

Ibar, you have made several good /accurate observations about last year's staff. Most likely, they did a poor job of evaluating the Texans' talent ( i.e. Riley) and of coaching them. It was obvious we needed a change in offensive and defensive philosophy.

So far, Kubiak and his staff have done a good job in indentifying the players that will fit their system which in turn upgraded our talent pool. With our FA signings and our draftees,about 25% of our roster will be changed. So ,it is imperative that the coaching staff do their best in teaching and motivating the Texans to perform to their optimum level.

It should be fun to follow their evolution.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 68425 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13
There isnt a chance in this world that Moulds would be 1st string WR. Not in my town. AJ doesn't need to "prove" anything. He has repeated shown that, given the chance, he can make the plays that are required of him. He is considered one of the top 10 WR of those playing in the NFL as of last season. Moulds may be too, but Kubes wont be doing that.
AJ is the most talented WR in the NFL right now, but to say he is a lock as the #1 is premature. His skill set needs alot of work. It never fails to irritate me when AJ drops a sure TD or takes a huge stride to get his second foot out of bounds instead of dragging his foot for the reception. :brickwall

The comparison between AJ and Moulds is similar to Moss Vs TO. Moss has more talent but TO is a more polished and complete WR. Right now the #1 spot belongs to AJ, but it's his to lose. Dismissing a guy who averages over 1000 yards per season and has made Price and Evans look like Pro Bowlers is crazy.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2006   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese
AJ is the most talented WR in the NFL right now, but to say he is a lock as the #1 is premature. His skill set needs alot of work. It never fails to irritate me when AJ drops a sure TD or takes a huge stride to get his second foot out of bounds instead of dragging his foot for the reception. :brickwall

The comparison between AJ and Moulds is similar to Moss Vs TO. Moss has more talent but TO is a more polished and complete WR. Right now the #1 spot belongs to AJ, but it's his to lose. Dismissing a guy who averages over 1000 yards per season and has made Price and Evans look like Pro Bowlers is crazy.
This is a silly argument. It's all about perception. #1 Wr is just an expression developed in the media used to describe the best WR on the team. AJ couldn't win or lose the "#1 spot" on the team. There is no such thing. I'm sure game to game the gameplan might reflect which player is most effective. Perhaps some special effort will be made to get AJ open or get him on a mismatch one play- does that make him #1? I'm sure Putzier will be given the same treatment sometimes. Does the Wr the opposing team doubles most often determine whose #1? That could change game to game as well. It's not like being the first trumpet on the high school marching band. Or maybe that is it. The #1 WR is the receiver that gets introduced first at home before the game. Okay. Then I'm going to say that Andre Johnson will be our #1 receiver this year. Now, it's settled!
Old 04-04-2006   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 68425 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a silly argument. It's all about perception. #1 Wr is just an expression developed in the media used to describe the best WR on the team. AJ couldn't win or lose the "#1 spot" on the team. There is no such thing. I'm sure game to game the gameplan might reflect which player is most effective. Perhaps some special effort will be made to get AJ open or get him on a mismatch one play- does that make him #1? I'm sure Putzier will be given the same treatment sometimes. Does the Wr the opposing team doubles most often determine whose #1? That could change game to game as well.
I was reffering to texansLucky13 saying Moulds could not be a #1. It's true that in an offense that features 2 elite recievers niether will be featured more than the other. However it is a pride thing for alot of guys to be at the top of the depth chart, and every year we see revievers leave their team via free agency to be a #1 somewhere else.

Quote:
It's not like being the first trumpet on the high school marching band. Or maybe that is it.
It sounds silly, but thats more or less what it ammounts to

Quote:
Now, it's settled!
It was never really an issue, just pointing out AJ isn't head and shoulders above Moulds and he has a long way to go before he reaches his peak. After all, Clark Kent had to learn how to fly before he became Super Man!
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Very nice post Ibar, despite the relative subjective aspect to any of these discussions, you have managed to produce fairly objective thoughts on the subject. Even more importantly, I agree with most of it!

Props up, good read, and thank you!
Old 04-04-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

When will our coaching staff let us know what they are thinking?

To answer your original question, I pulled this from another thread.

Quote:
The sports media would rather ask 10 questions about drafting Vince Young or about the shape of David Carr's hair, and the interesting questions like, "how does your opinion on 'x player' differ from the previous staff's opinion?"... Or, "after looking at tape, why did Wand lose his job to Victor Riley last season?" or "do you think Greenwood is more suited for WLB in a 4-3 than the inside of a 3-4 and why?'
Old 04-04-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One way to find out is to go to the Houston Texans Draft Luncheon:

Link to more information

Kubiak, Casserly and McNair will be there.

I've been to a bunch of these luncheons and always learn something new. Usually they answer questions at these, so you can go ahead and ask.

But basically, if you were asking that as more of a rhetorical question, I think the answer is that the organization has realized that it was too inexperienced at too many key positions. That with the sign-nobody-over-age-30 mindset that was almost a reaction to Capers' Panthers experience, that the team was too young and that there weren't enough leaders on the team to show the young talent the ropes.

As much as people wanted to just slag the coaching staff last year, I think the offseason is an illustration that they also thought we need better personnel and more depth. (Though I am wondering a lot about our secondary).
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
As much as people wanted to just slag the coaching staff last year, I think the offseason is an illustration that they also thought we need better personnel and more depth. (Though I am wondering a lot about our secondary).
This is true to a degree, but I know a lot of people thought we needed to dump 3/4 of our players. I remember some threads discussing this, because I thought that was a ridiculously high number that in reality (salary cap, available talent) would be very tough to do.

We've signed a small number of key starters, a few good players for depth, and a bunch of training camp fodder that won't make the roster. More of a quality makeover than a quantity one.
Old 04-04-2006   #14
trane
Rookie

Default They Don't Need To Let Us Know What They Are Thinking?

Why would they tell us what they are thinking and tip their hand to the rest of the league? If you read between the lines, it is pretty obvious what the Texan's M.O. is. I think Casserly/Kubiak are doing a wonderful job of rebuilding the team. They are not overreacting like the Texans have done in the past and overspend on guys like Todd Wade and Morlon Greenwood. What they are doing is bringing in veteran leadership ,on the cheap, and building a team that is more mental than physical. In my opinion, the main problems the Texans had last year was no offensive creativity and no veteran leadership on defense (after they let Sharper and Glenn go). Kubiak of course is spearheading the changes on offense and once Moulds' signing is confirmed and Bush is drafted...the offense will be much improved. One more thing, the condemning of the O line is not deserved. Blame the coaching and the scheme. The defense will still have some needs to be addressed but the best method of improving the defense is keeping them off the field. That mission should be accomplished.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
Why would they tell us what they are thinking and tip their hand to the rest of the league?
There is a lot of information a reporter could ask them about that wouldn't be "tipping their hand" to the rest of the league, but would still be interesting reading. We're not talking about asking for a definitive "who are you going to take with the first pick" statement. We're talking about a discussion of the 70 people on the roster who get no press. What would be tipping our hand if we asked how they felt about Armstrong, or Ragone, or Greenwood's likely status?

Do you think the other teams are waiting for us to slip up about the position where they are projecting Greenwood so they can start scheming against the mighty Texans?
Old 04-04-2006   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak will make the right decision. He said he has watched every game of RB and VY for the last 2 years more than once. I just hope he has watched the same amount of game tape of Super Mario.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #17
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Good post Ibar - I recall all to well the tongue lashing and beratement from the "Boarders" last year during TC and pre-season after comments were made about how bad the team looked in camp. In fact I started a few of those comments myself and remember getting it with both barrels from several others for saying the team looked lifeless, ill-prepared and lacked focus after spending 3 weeks going to TC, special practices etc. How we were goign to really suffer on defense after loosing both defensive captains and placing rookies and 2nd yr players in so many spots. After the Cowboys game I remember coming back here and agreeing again with your posts and saying how we would be lucky to get the 4 wins you talked about much less the 5 I predicted.

Fast forward a year - Man how things have changed. I must admit i'm excited by alot of the staff moves and the knowledge/experience this staff brings to work. One other thing I see that has me more excited is the coach's appear to all be on the same page which was a problem with Dom's staff. Kubes staff also seems to be bringing a much different "Attitude" to the team - A mental attitude and an approach that says there will be competition at every level on this team and everyone will compete or will find themselves unemployed. That everyone will be accountable. I think Dom just didnt get that part of being a coach and his staff, players and choices reflected that attitude.

Totally agree on the retro-fitting for the new squad - This staff went right away after veteran leaders to lead at the core positions and still are shopping with a mind towards giving them every possible angle in the draft.

Its this new approach/attitude that impresses me most about this staff. Its that mental edge part of being a real football team that most other succesful franchises have that goes hand in hand with your work ethic. That players are coming to work, can still have fun, but at the end of the day everyone feels like a team thats working together toward a goal. That team concept the Texans always seem to lack when I listened to Dom talk to the players. He seemed to always focus on just identifying a problem, never seemed one for making solutions to pull everyone together which as the leader of the team- You have to do - otherwise people just wander any direction they want and end up lost which we obviously saw a lot of over the past 4 years.

I think Kubes and co are mkaing serious strides in helping this team re-establish itself and creating an identity and team work ethic thats been missing all along. Based o nthe moves thus far, I think we will have a truly special year and look forward to the next few years making huge strides in establishing this team as a "Real" NFL squad and not just another expansion club.
Old 04-04-2006   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
I think Kubes and co are mkaing serious strides in helping this team re-establish itself and creating an identity and team work ethic thats been missing all along. Based o nthe moves thus far, I think we will have a truly special year and look forward to the next few years making huge strides in establishing this team as a "Real" NFL squad and not just another expansion club.

The other thing I think they are adding is that they are bringing leadership to the team who are winners. The Texans need to expect to win, not just hope for it. I know that sounds trite but it is so true.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #19
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Maybe on Playbook Handout Day in August?
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
The other thing I think they are adding is that they are bringing leadership to the team who are winners. The Texans need to expect to win, not just hope for it. I know that sounds trite but it is so true.
There is also the X factor. That is when you are in a critical situation you will not have a coach who is paralized in trying to make a decision. Kubiak is a proven decision maker on the fly and Capers wasn't. Has nothing to do with a person as a person. You either are able to make decisions on the fly or you are not. You will also have Sherman there assisting Kubiak so I doubt much is going to get by them. There is just a world of differences between the two staffs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read