Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-03-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Titans: Steve McNair's days with team probably numbered

Surprised no one has brought this up....

KFFL -

Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:41:11 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair's days with the team are probably numbered after the team told him he was not welcome at Baptist Sports Park, where the team is working out. McNair's agent, James "Bus" Cook, said, "A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life. They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team. To just to throw him out? After this, I don't think Steve would want to go back any more." The Titans are concerned about McNair getting injured while working out, which would make the team liable for his $9 million in base salary for 2006.

--------------------------------

Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:19:42 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract status was resolved, according to his agent James Cook. Cook said there was no warning to the team's position and added, "Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility. Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason." Titans sources said Titans owner Bud Adams made the decision out of fear any offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract. Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said, "Things got blown out of proportion. ... We'll get it straightened out."

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair will sign with Baltimore if he is released.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #3
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
Surprised no one has brought this up....

KFFL -

Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:19:42 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract status was resolved, according to his agent James Cook. Cook said there was no warning to the team's position and added, "Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility. Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason." Titans sources said Titans owner Bud Adams made the decision out of fear any offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract. Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said, "Things got blown out of proportion. ... We'll get it straightened out."
Imagine that ...
Old 04-04-2006   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the Titans more than I hate the Cowboys..............But McNair deserves to be shown more respect than that. After all he has suffered and done for that team. Now maybe people will understand why we left that rugg wearing S.O.B leave this city....................Even though he still lives in river oaks and people continue to shop at his dealership......Southwest Lincoln Mercury.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #5
jlwevans
Rookie

This is so much BS!! McNair has done everything that the Titans have asked of him including continously restructuring his contract to allow money for the team to bring in other players and now when it comes to paying the piper-Bud Adams bans him from doing his job so that he can keep from paying McNair what he deserves. If you did not hate Butt Adams before (like that was actually possible) then this should finally convince you otherwise.:brickwall
jlwevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #6
MikeMc
All Pro

Well, this is no longer a game.......football is a business. You can't say it is a business one day, and then get mad at incidents like this and bring team loyalty into the equation.

McNair is trying to do what is necessary to get his paycheck, and the Titans are doing what they need to in order to prevent from having to pay more money.

Look at the Astros and Bagwell. Similar situation, but the fans do not see that baseball is also a business, they see it for what it once was in the "glory days". Free agency ruined professional sports...thank Curt Flood!

Yes, he has done a lot for the organization, but the NFL is a business......end of discussion.
Old 04-04-2006   #7
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 23352 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
Well, this is no longer a game.......football is a business. You can't say it is a business one day, and then get mad at incidents like this and bring team loyalty into the equation.
It's how it was done, not what. Then again, fans here warned us a thousand times there would be days like this when Jeff Diamond was shown the door. I shouldn't be surprised but I am.
Old 04-04-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

If you are at all familiar with Bud Adams, this story is no surprise.

I wish Steve McNair all the best, and the Titans all the worst.
Old 04-04-2006   #9
MikeMc
All Pro

And waiting until June is a better way to release a player??

NFL.....Not Fair League

Since early 90s (Reggie White), the game was no longer a game...all of this "it is a business" talk started then and players wanted to get paid to "secure their families"......wow, I didn't know it takes millions to secure your family.....or maybe they just wanted the really cool stuff that they could buy with all the extra jack.....family was not in the picture....just $$$
Old 04-04-2006   #10
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 23352 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And waiting until June is a better way to release a player??
Steve hasn't been released. Have you read the articles about this?
Old 04-04-2006   #11
TitansGiantsBears
Rookie

Steve has been the centerpiece of our organization since the Houston days. I really hate to see it come down to this but like they say, it's a business. This has been brewing for awhile now though. Steve's not too happy that we're leaning toward drafting a QB. He feels bringing in a young QB means the team will ask him to spend his final years as a backup and he doesn't want to do this. His agent, Bus Cook, said Steve has no interest in serving as a mentor. Now the club locks him out.

I understand that it's all a business but you hate to see this happen to a classy guy like McNair. He's played his last game in a Titans uniform, I believe.
TitansGiantsBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #12
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79515 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
If you are at all familiar with Bud Adams, this story is no surprise.

I wish Steve McNair all the best, and the Titans all the worst.
Yep. Hate to say "I told you so" to some of the Bud lovers in Tennessee, but....

Pretty classless to have someone like McNair be told he has to leave by a trainer. What...was the waterboy busy?
Old 04-04-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be interesting to get a pulse on Titan nation. I wonder if there is huge want for Cutler when Leinart and Young would be inviting to different factions within the Titans organization.
Old 04-04-2006   #14
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
McNair will sign with Baltimore if he is released.
You're probably right and then Kerry Collins will definately retire. I have a lot of respect for Steve and wish him well in the future.
Old 04-04-2006   #15
MikeMc
All Pro

Well, if Steve McNair is too "big" to serve as a mentor for some young QB, who is really the one bing "classless"?

He is under contract, so he will do as he is told, otherwise the org can do what they want to....and yes, sending the trainer to tell him to leave is but one thing they can do.

Next thing he will do is throw the "I feel like a slave".......like most of the "disgruntled" FB players.....not sure where slaves make millions of $$, but I am all for slavery and will volunteer my services into slavery for millions of $$ a year!!
Old 04-04-2006   #16
Yvette
Veteran

Quote:
Well, if Steve McNair is too "big" to serve as a mentor for some young QB, who is really the one bing "classless"?
TGB forgot to mention Steve came back and said he has no problem being a mentor, he has a problem being a backup. You really need to read the news
Old 04-04-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jevon Kearse is with the Eagles.

McNair was told to leave because he might get injured and Satan didn't want to pay an injured player to sit on the bench.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #18
geofb
Veteran

Anything that causes turmoil with the Titans and K.S. (Bud) Adams is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. This goes in that category. Hopefully they will also make the mistake of taking Young with the number 3 pick. Then when he bombs, the Titan faithful can moan for years as to why they picked Young. Good stuff. Keep up the good work K.S. (Bud).
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #19
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Oy.
I am not a hater on the Titans. I don't hate Bud, but reaaaaly dislike what he did to the former Oiler fans here in Houston. His rep sucks eggs here. And it should.

Sorry to hear of this, Yvette. I think Steve is a great player whom should get to play his days out in Nashville. I thought this would be his last year, along with Favre. Maybe they both will hang it up instead to taking the BS. Looks like both are less than thrilled at the lack of respect given to many years of dedicated service. Can't say I blame them if they did end it all now.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking j/k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
Oy.
I am not a hater on the Titans. I don't hate Bud,
And you call yourself a Texans fan. YANKING YOUR CHAIN

It is our duty to not only hate our mortal enemy, Bud, but to extend that hatred to our division rival, as well.

Death (proverbial) to the baby blue flaming meatball!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read