Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-03-2006   #1
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa
Default The Biggest Reason why getting Bush won't hurt our real needs (OL)

People keeping talking about how Bush won't fill any of our needs and what not, but when its a player like Bush theres a reason why the whole "needs" thing goes out the window. Bush is the Barry Sanders of this decade, that means his type of talent only comes around every 10-15 years and we have the 1st overall pick so then why the heck skip it?!

This is where you say we have bigger needs

and this is where Ima make you think, alright? You takin notes?

We're in a rebuilinding mode so don't kid yourself by thinking we're gonna make the playoffs. If you're still thinking that then get outa ur football immaturity for a second or you won't understand. We won't make the playoffs, we probably will end up towards the bottom of the league yet again and yeah I know miracles can happen but how often do they? Basing my whole theory on the fact that we end up in the top 10 again then thats where we get our Stud OL. Don't think I'm rooting for us to fail, but we got LB DL OL TE WR S and CB problems. Theres no way in the world Kubiak will be able to fix that in just one year. But S and LB can be fixed easily and I'd expect at least one of those 2 to be fixed in this draft. TE as well I beleive will be fixed in this draft in the sorta of way the Bucs fixed their TE thing by getting Alex Smith in the later rounds. And WR IMO is about 80% fixed already. So that leaves OL DL and CB to be done. The DL won't be address this year since the coaches need to see what Babin, Peek, Johnson, and all our new DEs can do. That'll be left for 07. At CB I think they'll give PBuc another chance and posibly draft another CB in the later rounds. So OL will still be the thing. Look for maybe an OT or OG to be taken with one of the 3rds but possibly only 1 maybe 2. Why? That way if Carr craps up again, they'll still have the same excuse AND will get a shot at drafting a stud OT, maybe Joe Thomas? In the 07 draft.

I just wrote this in about 5 minutes at 10 45 after taking a shower, if I rambled on or didnt make total sense just ask me and ill explain again.
Old 04-03-2006   #2
el toro
All Pro

Another way is that a team is going to need to spy on Bush on every down. That should pull a LB or SS away from the line on any number of downs. Add to that the downfield threats that will not enable defenses to keep more guys closer to the line. TE is going to be quite significant in this regard.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

teams don't spy on RB they may game plan for them but they just play defense.....

He is just a running back.... a good one.... perhaps a great one.... but still just a piece in a bigger puzzle
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #4
angeltexus
Rookie

Default I agree, somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
People keeping talking about how Bush won't fill any of our needs and what not, but when its a player like Bush theres a reason why the whole "needs" thing goes out the window. Bush is the Barry Sanders of this decade, that means his type of talent only comes around every 10-15 years and we have the 1st overall pick so then why the heck skip it?!

This is where you say we have bigger needs

and this is where Ima make you think, alright? You takin notes?

We're in a rebuilinding mode so don't kid yourself by thinking we're gonna make the playoffs. If you're still thinking that then get outa ur football immaturity for a second or you won't understand. We won't make the playoffs, we probably will end up towards the bottom of the league yet again and yeah I know miracles can happen but how often do they? Basing my whole theory on the fact that we end up in the top 10 again then thats where we get our Stud OL. Don't think I'm rooting for us to fail, but we got LB DL OL TE WR S and CB problems. Theres no way in the world Kubiak will be able to fix that in just one year. But S and LB can be fixed easily and I'd expect at least one of those 2 to be fixed in this draft. TE as well I beleive will be fixed in this draft in the sorta of way the Bucs fixed their TE thing by getting Alex Smith in the later rounds. And WR IMO is about 80% fixed already. So that leaves OL DL and CB to be done. The DL won't be address this year since the coaches need to see what Babin, Peek, Johnson, and all our new DEs can do. That'll be left for 07. At CB I think they'll give PBuc another chance and posibly draft another CB in the later rounds. So OL will still be the thing. Look for maybe an OT or OG to be taken with one of the 3rds but possibly only 1 maybe 2. Why? That way if Carr craps up again, they'll still have the same excuse AND will get a shot at drafting a stud OT, maybe Joe Thomas? In the 07 draft.

I just wrote this in about 5 minutes at 10 45 after taking a shower, if I rambled on or didnt make total sense just ask me and ill explain again.
I will agree it will take at least three years before we get really good with Vince Young, but with Bush a Decade with 5 diffrent quarterbacks see Detroit, Chicago for them stats.
angeltexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #5
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan
teams don't spy on RB they may game plan for them but they just play defense.....

He is just a running back.... a good one.... perhaps a great one.... but still just a piece in a bigger puzzle

Then who is going to pick him up if he moves into the slot? Having guys who are downfield threats at RB and TE is going to take some pressure off that Oline.
Old 04-03-2006   #6
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Huh? There's a chicken-egg deal going on; in order for threats to get downfield, the O-line must be solid enough to hold blocks. I heard one coach say the way DCs will try to neutralize Bush from getting out of the backfield is by overloading blitzes to his side and forcing him to block. It seems that would open up opportunities to Bush with dump-offs or free up AJ in single coverage, but if he can't pick up the blitz, it won't be pretty...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn
Huh? There's a chicken-egg deal going on; in order for threats to get downfield, the O-line must be solid enough to hold blocks. I heard one coach say the way DCs will try to neutralize Bush from getting out of the backfield is by overloading blitzes to his side and forcing him to block. It seems that would open up opportunities to Bush with dump-offs or free up AJ in single coverage, but if he can't pick up the blitz, it won't be pretty...
An offense that adjusts to the defense can take advantage of that, and other, types of defensive schemes if it has sufficient weapons at its disposal.
Old 04-03-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

How do we have a TE problem?

We just signed Putzier
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
Then who is going to pick him up if he moves into the slot? Having guys who are downfield threats at RB and TE is going to take some pressure off that Oline.
The same guy who would pick up DD if he moved out into the slot...
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A different way of looking at this.

According to nfl.com.....

Last year, a year where the Texans offense was in disarray, our offensive coordinator was fired in week 3, we couldn't move down the field, our total offense was ranked 30th, our offensive line was an unfun game of musical chairs due to significant injuries and poor play, our #1 WR was hurt most of the season, our #1 RB was hurt for a portion of it, our QB spent most 3rd and longs in the fetal position, <catch my breath> our run offense was ranked.......

15th.

Middle of the pack. Really. 15th. If you watched the games last season, don't you find that surprising as heck???? Surprises me given how many times in games the Texans were behind.

If the Texans run offense was 15, with all those problems, I am guessing with a Reggie Bush and some new personnel and some quality coaching, maybe that 15 gets a little better. If that 15 gets a little better, you would hope that it makes your throwing game a little easier too.

I am not saying miracles are gonna happen next season--I am realistic in how hard it is to get teams to change gears, learn a new system and become a team. It is so much easier adding on to stuff that you already know than learning a new way of doing things. I think that is something that people tend to gloss over when looking at a coaching change.

But, what it does give me is some hope for our Oline some. Getting a better zone block going on and getting more used to it. Getting players playing in positions they are more comfortable in. That 15 and some more depth gives our Oline some hope.

Sleep well, my friends.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #11
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
If you watched the games last season, don't you find that surprising as heck????
Im not surprised. What were we supposed to do, give the ball to Carr so many times that we had net passing yards in the negative numbers? All we could do was run, and we even had an offensive line that knew how to work with the run.... somewhat. DD was out but J Wells and Morency are very good 2nd and 3rd string HBs....

I remember being at the Colts game and seeing them hand it to Morency. He did an excellent job. We were tied with the Colts (who were on their 13 game winning streak at the time, but this was only game 6 i believe), 14-14 at Halftime. For those of you who were there... you remember what it was like. The idea that we could beat the Colts was enough to stir a riot. You could feel the excitement pouring off of the people around you. I stood for the 3rd Quarter... but thats when it got ugly. I had faith... but it was our notorious 4th quarter stinkage that killed a good many games. Mathis got his first TD Return that day.

By the way.... I called Mathis's second TD Return. I stood up, shouted "Third times a charm!" And boom, he juked three Chiefs out of their shoes before rolling into the endzone.

Last edited by TexansLucky13; 04-03-2006 at 10:57 PM.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #12
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
An offense that adjusts to the defense can take advantage of that, and other, types of defensive schemes if it has sufficient weapons at its disposal.
Yeah, you can take advantage of it. I was just saying having guys who can receive downfield doesn't make it any easier for the O-line to block, it makes them block longer...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #13
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan
The same guy who would pick up DD if he moved out into the slot...

But DD is in the backfield...
Old 04-03-2006   #14
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
our run offense was ranked.......

15th.

Middle of the pack. Really. 15th. If you watched the games last season, don't you find that surprising as heck???? Surprises me given how many times in games the Texans were behind.
The one thing that people should realize is that Carr accounts for 308 of those rushing yards. If you rank our ground game on running backs alone then we ranked 25th in rushing.
Old 04-04-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn
Yeah, you can take advantage of it. I was just saying having guys who can receive downfield doesn't make it any easier for the O-line to block, it makes them block longer...
My point is if that is what the defense does, then having a coach who can adjust the offense to get the ball to a guy who can catch a 7 yard pass in the area the blitzers vacated and take it 60 yards for a touchdown:

a) doesn't require the line to hold back the blitz for a long

b) slows down the blitz very quickly

Last edited by Runner; 04-04-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

With bush on the team, at least we'll be guaranteed more time on sportscenter.
Old 04-04-2006   #17
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I dont agree at all with that statement.
how is it not rebuilding if over the last 2 years if you've cut at least 7 of your starters and are trying to replace them? All the while your also trying to find a permanant starter for at least another 5 positions? Thats 12 player and if you add in the constant reshuffeling of the OL Thats 17 outa 22 starters. Most of the OL will be raplaced so how in the world is that not rebulding? Just because our 4 main draft guys are still here doesnt mean the rest of the team isnt rebuilding.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read