Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-03-2006   #1
corvallis149
Rookie

Default I have a question for all Reggie lovers.

How can Reggie Bush help our team?

When we have a Runningback that rushed for 1000+ yards every season, and when we have one of the NFLs best returnman?

I don't get it. If he will only play wideout is he worth No.1 pick?

And even if he develop into one of the best runningback in NFL, he will not lead our team to playoffs. Let's take a look at some of the greatest running backs who have ever played the game and how they did when it comes to the Super Bowls which, after all, is why they play the games. O.J. Simpson never even played in one. Eric Dickerson didn't win one. Negative for Barry Sanders too. Emmitt Smith won a bunch but he also had Troy Aikman. Walter Payton didn't win a Super Bowl until the Bears had one of the best defenses in league history in 1985. Gale Sayers, the guy who Bush is most often compared to, never even played in a playoff game! How about some of the most productive runners from recent years. Curtis Martin? LaDainian Tomlinson? No and No. The bottom line is that even some of the best to ever play the game did not take their team to the Promised Land. (I copied this information from nfldraftcountdown.com)

How will bush help our team?
corvallis149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #2
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

What about DD? What about Mathis? I do not know how he helps.If we needed a running back, I would be all about drafting Bush.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #3
tiger06
Veteran

He can line up in the backfield, out wide, or in the slot. He'll take attention off guys like AJ and DD. He'll keep DD fresher throughout games and add a much needed playmaker to our offense.
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #4
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Will he be the QB when Carr is on his butt? Reggie would be a great addition to any team . Why do we need him?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #5
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

we have a running back DD who has proven in 3 season he cannot be durable and play in all our games.

Splitting time with Bush will help both DD with his durabilty and Bush. Bush is versatile enough to line up all over the field so playing them in the same backfield is not nearly the problem one would expect.

True a fantastic running back will not win a championship, but the same can be said about any position. look at Dan Marino's career. Payton Manning is heading that way.

Football is the ultimate team sport. More players on the field at any time than any of the major sports and larger rosters. Winning a championship is not equated to getting 1 good player. Basketball is different 1 player is 20% of a team.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #6
MasterC25
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvallis149

When we have a Runningback that rushed for 1000+ yards every season, and when we have one of the NFLs best returnman?

And even if he develop into one of the best runningback in NFL, he will not lead our team to playoffs. Let's take a look at some of the greatest running backs who have ever played the game and how they did when it comes to the Super Bowls which, after all, is why they play the games. O.J. Simpson never even played in one. Eric Dickerson didn't win one. Negative for Barry Sanders too. Emmitt Smith won a bunch but he also had Troy Aikman. Walter Payton didn't win a Super Bowl until the Bears had one of the best defenses in league history in 1985. Gale Sayers, the guy who Bush is most often compared to, never even played in a playoff game! How about some of the most productive runners from recent years. Curtis Martin? LaDainian Tomlinson? No and No. The bottom line is that even some of the best to ever play the game did not take their team to the Promised Land. (I copied this information from nfldraftcountdown.com)

"How can Reggie Bush help our team?"
Is this a serious post?If it is feel free to never post again! Thank you and have a nice day
MasterC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #7
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible
Will he be the QB when Carr is on his butt? Reggie would be a great addition to any team . Why do we need him?
DD is a middle of the pack RB who only ran for 976 yards last year. Yes, he only ran for that many yards because he was injured, but that is nothing new.

Reggie Bush is a gamebreaker who can score a TD whenever he gets his hands on the ball. These guys are rare to find and that is why the Texans need him.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2006   #8
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody keeps saying that DD has got 1000 yards every season but for a run oriented offense 1000 yards is not that impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Davis didn't get 1000 last season.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #10
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible
Reggie would be a great addition to any team .

Why do we need him?
This post reminds me of Alex Trebek.

First give the answer.

Then ask the question.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Bpa
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #12
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There is a difference between a guy like Dominick Davis who can run for around 1000 yards to a guy like Bush who's break away speed can get him up to 1500. Look at Denver's team for an example. Terrell Davis ran for over 1500 as did Clinton Portis. Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, and Tatum Bell this year did not. Take a guy who can hit a home run with singles, doubles, and triples over a guy who can only hit singles and doubles. That's Bush over DD.
Old 04-03-2006   #13
AtheGreat
Veteran

i dont know what im more excited about during April 29th.is it because we'll get some great additions to an improving team, or is it that i know people will have to stop making VY or RB posts that have been talked about for 3 months already.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #14
Mailman04
Veteran

He is the best player in the draft. Who do you want Young? I wouldn't draft Young if I had the 20th pick in the first round.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

First of all, Dominick Davis would be more effective if he got 15 touches a game instead of 30. He isn't the RB that gets stronger as the game goes along. Secondly, like most RBs, he isn't healthy all season. Third, Bush has special abilities that Davis does not. I like DD. I would like to trade down, but I'm also aware of how Bush could help the team. Look, if Bush is the player most people think he will be, we will have the best/deepest backfield in the NFL. I'm sure Kubiak is figuring out how to utilize each of them most effectively. You'll see Bush in motion and in the slot. He'll be much more effective on screen passes. Mathis doesn't return punts, only kickoffs. Bush has speed that Davis doesn't and requires more defensive attention than Davis Does. If it's 3rd and 1, I want DD in there. If it's 1st and 10, I want to see more of Bush than Davis. I also would like to see them both in the backfield and one of them go in motion, pulling a LB into coverage and away from the line of scrimmage. Imagine Moulds, Mathis, AJ, Davis, and Bush all as eligible receivers. That puts a heck of a lot of strain on any defense.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #16
ToroFan
Rookie

I think Reggie Bush could help in a variety of different ways. Some of the ways he could help

- Defenses would be put in a pickle in trying to decide what formations to put out. Do you put in an extra defensive back? If so it makes it a lot easier to run the ball. Do you leave in a lb/safety? Bush would win that battle in my estimation when he lines up in the slot or as a receiver out of the backfield. Of course, all of this is predicated on Bush being able to run in-between the tackles some of the time (a determination that Kubes will make). But if so, he will draw away coverages designed to limit AJ, and get more looks for the other wide receivers.

- Some say he should be doing punt returns or line him up with mathis in kickoffs. I doubt he will do punt or kickoff returns, because in the salary cap era, it's just too much risk exposure. Cleveland paid the price for having Kellen Winslow on the coverage team, and he didn't get #1 pick money.

- I wonder how long DD and Bush are going to be in the same backfield. Although DD is a tough runner and gets tough yards, in order to punish defenses for putting in lighter packages to counteract Bush, you need a bigger back that wears on them (i.e. what Len Dale White did for USC this year).

Just my
Old 04-03-2006   #17
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen others stress this point before and I want to throw it out here now. The 1st pick in the draft is not based on "needs", but rather on "wants". Needs are addressed through the rest of the draft, and even after that. God forbid that we go a season without improving one position.

It is not like we have avoided the O-line (which seems to be the trash talk about Kubiak, that he is apparently too caught up in Reggie to pay attention to that). We picked up Flanagan, a Veteran at Center, and moved a "not awfully terrible" McKinney back to his native position. If you challenge me with the idea that Flanagan is only good for two more seasons, so what! Thats why we have next years FA and Draft, and the next. To deal with things as they come up.

And if you want to challenge me and say that VY is what we "need", that is a different story altogether. But truth be told, we dont "need" either of them. So it comes down to the choice. We now have to pick the player who is considered the best. This is a hard job since it is almost impossible to compare a RB and a QB... you just cant do it with numbers. The three things I see in Bush that I think are his best merits are as follows:

1) Ability to take the ball quickly and find an opening.

2) An intense cutting ability due to a high agility. This makes him excellent for the quick routes that Kubiak has been known to run.

3) He has an unchartedly high vision. He can see holes opening and well understands how to counteract a defender when faced 1v1.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a VY basher. He has merits as well.

1) Extremely athletic.... can break a run when he sees a hole, and can scramble to find openings in zone coverage.

2) Has above average accuracy and power. He's not just known for his legs, after all.

3) VY is agile enough to juke huge linemen who have broken through the tackles, and shake off a bad tackle.

I just think that our investment in Carr is too much for us to go and draft another QB. Besides... he would need years of training and sideline observing before he can be a definitive starter. Reggie will make an immediate, lasting impact... and can take pressure off of an often fatigued DD.

Either way... we are all Texans fans here. In the end, we will be kickin **** and takin names next year.

Go Texans!!
Old 04-03-2006   #18
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13
The 1st pick in the draft is not based on "needs", but rather on "wants".
good point ... 31 other teams would love to have the 1st pick ... that's not true most years (last year is a case in point) ...
Old 04-03-2006   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
good point ... 31 other teams would love to have the 1st pick ... that's not true most years (last year is a case in point) ...
Good point. This year is a huge Draft, and even the 32nd pick will be extremely talented, compared to last year especially.
Old 04-03-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
we have a running back DD who has proven in 3 season he cannot be durable and play in all our games.

Splitting time with Bush will help both DD with his durabilty and Bush. Bush is versatile enough to line up all over the field so playing them in the same backfield is not nearly the problem one would expect.

True a fantastic running back will not win a championship, but the same can be said about any position. look at Dan Marino's career. Payton Manning is heading that way.

Football is the ultimate team sport. More players on the field at any time than any of the major sports and larger rosters. Winning a championship is not equated to getting 1 good player. Basketball is different 1 player is 20% of a team.
I've heard rumors that Davis has somewhat questionable work ethic too, so maybe adding Bush will get Davis to get himself more prepared for the season and he'll be more effective in addition to adding Bush's unique abilities to teh offense.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read