Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-01-2006   #1
Zac
Rookie

Default Texans are winning back fans with OPTIMISM!!

This has to be the best off season the Texans have had since the inception of the team.

Now the Texans aren't just happy bringing football back to Houston, they are conducting their business with the end goal in mind being "Wins".

The new Coaching Staff has brought an optimism that hasn't been seen here before the first game was played. "There was optimism after the 7-9 season, but it faded quickly"

Now the FA signed this season have impressed almost everyone except John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

And the Texans will have the top pick of the 1st 2nd and top 2 picks of the 3rd round. Those 4 players should all be at some point in their careers starters and quality reserve players.

The future looks bright. And it's through optimism that is being sparked by this off season. Started by the signing of Kubiak and his coaching staff.

Go Texans
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

You've got a right to be optimistic, Zac. Don't let anyone steal your joy.

I feel better about this next season as much as I have about the first four, so why not drink some of the koolaide. I feel optimistic, too, but I temper it with a realistic perspective in order to avoid over-inflating my expectations. I look forward to the draft and getting to the pre-season so we can start seeing some of Kubiak's plans going into action.
Old 04-01-2006   #3
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
You've got a right to be optimistic, Zac. Don't let anyone steal your joy.

I feel better about this next season as much as I have about the first four, so why not drink some of the koolaide. I feel optimistic, too, but I temper it with a realistic perspective in order to avoid over-inflating my expectations. I look forward to the draft and getting to the pre-season so we can start seeing some of Kubiak's plans going into action.
At least you are tempering your overview with a little reality. However, as I have said, I do not share your optimism nor enthusiasm. I was as you were -- very excited about this team and hoping to see improvement the first four seasons, which I did see except for the last one. I view it as totally unfair and unwise that they fired Capers after one bad season. Then they bring in a guy with no experience who hires a staff that is just as green as he is who goes about tinkering with positions that don't need tinkering with while giving token attention to obvious needs. At this point, I am now simply looking forward to seeing NFL football start up again as I don't support either the new head coach nor the direction he is taking the team. He'll have to get his iron lungs from somewhere else -- and judging from the half-empty stadiums during the last several home games of last year, that kind of support is not a given.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #4
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

We have to be optimistic. That's our nature as Texans! I too am looking forward to the new season. Maybe hiring Kubiak was a good thing.I think that it was. Maybe the green coaching staff can accomplish their goals just because they are green. I am hoping for the best for the team. I am going to support them until proven otherwise.
Old 04-01-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Bobo, it's the ol' glass half empty / half full choice. I certainly understand the darker perspective of pessimistic expectations, especially growing up an Oiler fan.

However, as a diehard Texans fanatic, I feel it is my obligation to choose a positive and hopeful point-of-view at the beginning of every new season. I will always anchor my feet on the ground with realistic understanding, but I have to maintain a hope for the best just to keep it fun. If I'm going to assume that we will suck every year, what is the point of it all?

C'mon, man, you know you're thirsty. Just try a sip of the koolaide.
Old 04-01-2006   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moffat
We have to be optimistic. That's our nature as Texans! I too am looking forward to the new season. Maybe hiring Kubiak was a good thing.I think that it was. Maybe the green coaching staff can accomplish their goals just because they are green. I am hoping for the best for the team. I am going to support them until proven otherwise.
I agree. It's the fresh minds on the sidelines and upstairs that will be driving the bull next season. I have a lot of optimism for the next season.
Old 04-01-2006   #7
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Well, Bobo, it's the ol' glass half empty / half full choice. I certainly understand the darker perspective of pessimistic expectations, especially growing up an Oiler fan.

However, as a diehard Texans fanatic, I feel it is my obligation to choose a positive and hopeful point-of-view at the beginning of every new season. I will always anchor my feet on the ground with realistic understanding, but I have to maintain a hope for the best just to keep it fun. If I'm going to assume that we will suck every year, what is the point of it all?

C'mon, man, you know you're thirsty. Just try a sip of the koolaide.
The point of it all is the game, the NFL. You can love watching a game without being a fan of a particular team. I've done it off and on for years. I watched the NCAA finals earlier tonight. I wasn't a fan of any of the teams and could care less who won, but I enjoy watching them.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2006   #8
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13
I agree. It's the fresh minds on the sidelines and upstairs that will be driving the bull next season. I have a lot of optimism for the next season.
Problem is, the guy on the sidelines spent most of his time upstairs for the last nine years. I have a lot of pessimism for the next season.
Old 04-01-2006   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Problem is, the guy on the sidelines spent most of his time upstairs for the last nine years. I have a lot of pessimism for the next season.
Hey, this is the optimism thread. Be gone!

Go Texans!
Old 04-01-2006   #10
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moffat
I didn't see much optimism from Houston fans two games into last season. I saw a lot of pessimism then. I see just as much, if not more, reason for pessimism this coming year. Our nature as Texans is not to be optimistic -- it's to play the blame game and get rid of folks before you give them a chance to bounce back. Thank goodness for Seattle and Pittsburgh that those characteristics aren't in their nature!! Capers and his staff were experienced, so they weren't going to make rookie mistakes. Kubiak and his staff are rookies so they will have a tendency to make boneheaded first-year faux pas in addition to the regular mistakes -- and they have already lived up to that expectation. I am not supporting this coach -- he's taking the team down the wrong path and I'm not going to board a train that is headed in the opposite direction of where it should be going. Instead, I'll go to Reliant and just sit back, drink the $3 bottled water, munch on the $4.50 Red River Dog and watch what I've enjoyed for more than 40 years now -- NFL football. Period. Won't get excited, won't yell, scream or cheer for the home team or any of that. Just enjoy watching the NFL and be thankful that McNair brought a team here so we can enjoy the league -- even though he doesn't have the slightest idea of how to run it.
Old 04-01-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hey, this is the optimism thread. Be gone!

Go Texans!
You mean the rose-colored glasses thread.
Old 04-02-2006   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
I didn't see much optimism from Houston fans two games into last season. I saw a lot of pessimism then. I see just as much, if not more, reason for pessimism this coming year. Our nature as Texans is not to be optimistic -- it's to play the blame game and get rid of folks before you give them a chance to bounce back. Thank goodness for Seattle and Pittsburgh that those characteristics aren't in their nature!! Capers and his staff were experienced, so they weren't going to make rookie mistakes. Kubiak and his staff are rookies so they will have a tendency to make boneheaded first-year faux pas in addition to the regular mistakes -- and they have already lived up to that expectation. I am not supporting this coach -- he's taking the team down the wrong path and I'm not going to board a train that is headed in the opposite direction of where it should be going. Instead, I'll go to Reliant and just sit back, drink the $3 bottled water, munch on the $4.50 Red River Dog and watch what I've enjoyed for more than 40 years now -- NFL football. Period. Won't get excited, won't yell, scream or cheer for the home team or any of that. Just enjoy watching the NFL and be thankful that McNair brought a team here so we can enjoy the league -- even though he doesn't have the slightest idea of how to run it.
I have sat back and looked objectively at this situation. The only things ive collected from your intellect so far is as follows:

1)You are obsessed with Dom Capers. His philosophy, to you, was going to benefit the long-run, but was bagged on a bad season.

2)You say that Holmgren and Cowhers should have been yanked for their bad seasons. You resent it that the short-sighted McNair took this chance to get a pick-up on ticket sales by bringing a new optimism by grabbing a new coach.

3)Kubiak has done absolutely NOTHING right so far. He is a flop and he will lead the Texans to worse than a 2-14 season. He has overloaded the Offense with pass-oriented players and neglected the line.

Here are the faults in your ideas-

1)Capers is gone. Bagged. Cut. Fired. His philosophy was too conservative and he was only brought here because of his experience with expansion teams, like the Panthers. He couldn't cut it in the NFL as a HC. It's tough, but true. He may have more luck as OC at Miami. Yay.

2)Holmgrens worst season was a 6-10. Cowhers worst season was a 6-10. A 2-14 attracts some negative attention. Stop acting like Capers got a bad rap. He was lucky to finish out the season. Holmgren also has a SB Ring!! Capers has nothing. Stop acting like these two coaches got some kind of executive treatment.

3) Kubiak used the FA to build up options for a long suppressed David Carr, so that relief can be found by him as well as AJ. TE, 2 WR who can get open and give him options. Good. He added Flanagan to the line. This helps the center, and moves McKinney to a more familiar spot. The draft is reserved for OT such as D'Brick (if we trade down) or McNeil in the 2nd round. This improves our line. The off-season is not over, stop acting like it!

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2006   #13
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have sat back and looked objectively at this situation. The only things ive collected from your intellect so far is as follows:

1)You are obsessed with Dom Capers. His philosophy, to you, was going to benefit the long-run, but was bagged on a bad season.

2)You say that Holmgren and Cowhers should have been yanked for their bad seasons. You resent it that the short-sighted McNair took this chance to get a pick-up on ticket sales by bringing a new optimism by grabbing a new coach.

3)Kubiak has done absolutely NOTHING right so far. He is a flop and he will lead the Texans to worse than a 2-14 season. He has overloaded the Offense with pass-oriented players and neglected the line.

Here are the faults in your ideas-

1)Capers is gone. Bagged. Cut. Fired. His philosophy was too conservative and he was only brought here because of his experience with expansion teams, like the Panthers. He couldn't cut it in the NFL as a HC. It's tough, but true. He may have more luck as OC at Miami. Yay.

2)Holmgrens worst season was a 6-10. Cowhers worst season was a 6-10. A 2-14 attracts some negative attention. Stop acting like Capers got a bad rap. He was lucky to finish out the season. Holmgren also has a SB Ring!! Capers has nothing. Stop acting like these two coaches got some kind of executive treatment.

3) Kubiak used the FA to build up options for a long suppressed David Carr, so that relief can be found by him as well as AJ. TE, 2 WR who can get open and give him options. Good. He added Flanagan to the line. This helps the center, and moves McKinney to a more familiar spot. The draft is reserved for OT such as D'Brick (if we trade down) or McNeil in the 2nd round. This improves our line. The off-season is not over, stop acting like it!

Thanks!
1.) Capers was a good coach and was right for this team, as I have shown in previous posts. And yes, I am obsessed with keeping good coaches. When they fire a good one and hire an inexperienced, green one whose accomplishments are limited, it turns me off when I am paying the kind of money I am paying for season tickets. 2.) You should read very carefully what I say before making comments about it. I said if you fire Capers for one bad year, then Holmgren and Cowher should have been fired for the same reason before their SB runs. My point is, just like it would have been a mistake to fire Cowher and Holmgren over one bad season, it was a mistake to fire Capers. 3.) If the goal is a "pick-up" in ticket sales, there are plenty of ways to do that without firing a coach. You can give away stuff for one -- or reduce the amount of clothing on your cheeleading squad for another. 4.) I never said Kubiak would lead the team to a season worse than 2-14. What I did say is he would lead the team to three more years of between three and five wins a season and never experience the success that Capers did. And I never said he didn't do anything right since I believe I saw a picture of him where he put his hat on straight for his press conference announcing his hiring. Good for him. 5.) The fact is, a record of 6-10 for the Steelers and Seahawks is just as bad, if not worse, than 2-14 for the Texans since the Steelers and Seahawks had been around a long time and were much better teams than were the Texans. Capers did get a bad rap, and if you don't see it then you are either failing or forgetting to recognize where he took this team during his first three years. Holmgren got a SB ring, but did he do it with an expansion team that he had to stock himself? Uh, I don;t think so. 6.) Your statement about Capers is untrue. Capers was a good coach who did very well with an expansion team for three years before he had one bad year -- just like Holmgren and Cowher did. He got a bad rap and was treated very poorly. There's no telling what he could have done with this team if he would have been given a chance to right the ship. 7.) Kubiak added an old guy to the line who won't be around long and will just have to be replaced before the Texans regain competitive status. His other additions are either cosmetic (Cook, Rosenfelds) or ludicrous (Walter, Putzier). And why you think McKinney is going to suffice when he hasn't done very well up to now simply by placing him in a different location on the same offensive line is a mystery to me.
Old 04-02-2006   #14
el toro
All Pro

Quote:

I'm glad we had Capers to make the veteran mistakes over and over and over again.

If the season's already over, spend your time on something fun. That is, if you can stand not being bitter.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly Bobo I question whether or not you even understand what you're looking at when it comes to the Houston Texans and their actions since the Monday following their last game. You either don't understand what's happening or you're being intentionally obtuse in order to stir the pot IMO.
Old 04-02-2006   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
1.) Capers was a good coach and was right for this team, as I have shown in previous posts. And yes, I am obsessed with keeping good coaches. When they fire a good one and hire an inexperienced, green one whose accomplishments are limited, it turns me off when I am paying the kind of money I am paying for season tickets. 2.) You should read very carefully what I say before making comments about it. I said if you fire Capers for one bad year, then Holmgren and Cowher should have been fired for the same reason before their SB runs. My point is, just like it would have been a mistake to fire Cowher and Holmgren over one bad season, it was a mistake to fire Capers. 3.) If the goal is a "pick-up" in ticket sales, there are plenty of ways to do that without firing a coach. You can give away stuff for one -- or reduce the amount of clothing on your cheeleading squad for another. 4.) I never said Kubiak would lead the team to a season worse than 2-14. What I did say is he would lead the team to three more years of between three and five wins a season and never experience the success that Capers did. And I never said he didn't do anything right since I believe I saw a picture of him where he put his hat on straight for his press conference announcing his hiring. Good for him. 5.) The fact is, a record of 6-10 for the Steelers and Seahawks is just as bad, if not worse, than 2-14 for the Texans since the Steelers and Seahawks had been around a long time and were much better teams than were the Texans. Capers did get a bad rap, and if you don't see it then you are either failing or forgetting to recognize where he took this team during his first three years. Holmgren got a SB ring, but did he do it with an expansion team that he had to stock himself? Uh, I don;t think so. 6.) Your statement about Capers is untrue. Capers was a good coach who did very well with an expansion team for three years before he had one bad year -- just like Holmgren and Cowher did. He got a bad rap and was treated very poorly. There's no telling what he could have done with this team if he would have been given a chance to right the ship. 7.) Kubiak added an old guy to the line who won't be around long and will just have to be replaced before the Texans regain competitive status. His other additions are either cosmetic (Cook, Rosenfelds) or ludicrous (Walter, Putzier). And why you think McKinney is going to suffice when he hasn't done very well up to now simply by placing him in a different location on the same offensive line is a mystery to me.
This is the only response to this.

1) Dom Capers was here to create the expansion Texans. He WAS a good coach. I have told you repeated (though you never seem to learn anything) that I never wanted to see him go. But just the same, I am realistic in that I understand the modern NFL. Get over it!
2) A 2-14 with our strength of schedule was pathetic. A 6-10 for Cowhers is something that can be overlooked, regardless of what you attempt to explain about how long the team has been around. They both had consistent success. A 2-14 shows that whatever Dom was doing for the team 3 years before '05 obviously was not working. Would you expect a team to shape up in 3 years? Why wouldnt you! There is NO position that requires that much patience, other than QB. Carr did what he could, but a rookie as a starter for an expansion team? What did you expect?
3) How do you explain that the O-line is bad this year? And last year? You blame that on Kubiak, maybe? No way. Capers overlooked it. It was folly on his part, and its his fault for the condition of the team. Period.
4) Flanagan is an immediate fix to a problem that needed fixing. Who cares if he is gone in 2 years? Most mock drafts show us picking up a Center in the 3rd round. Go read up, buddy.
5) Putzier was a perfect addition. You prefer Billy Miller? Or an injury proned Joppru? Bruener?? You must be joking! TE problems has been a PLAGUE on the Texans! Kubiak is familiar with him and knows how to use him.
6) Carr now has options downfield. Did Capers EVER want to do that for him? No! Why is it so bad, anyways? You must just not like David. Stop it.
Old 04-02-2006   #17
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Honestly Bobo I question whether or not you even understand what you're looking at when it comes to the Houston Texans and their actions since the Monday following their last game. You either don't understand what's happening or you're being intentionally obtuse in order to stir the pot IMO.
And in the same way, I honestly don't understand how people can forget what Capers did for this team and this town during the first three years and fire him like they did. He was a good coach and a good leader who had one bad year with a fourth-season expansion team and he got the bum's rush. That to me was very unwise and unfair as well.
Old 04-02-2006   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And in the same way, I honestly don't understand how people can forget what Capers did for this team and this town during the first three years and fire him like they did. He was a good coach and a good leader who had one bad year with a fourth-season expansion team and he got the bum's rush. That to me was very unwise and unfair as well.
What Capers did for this team? I'll tell you exactly what Capers did for this team. He took the "First Coach" hickey that is 99.9% inevitable with any expansion team. For that I take my hat off to him but that's about where my applause stops. He hired and then stood by some of the crappiest assistant coaches that could be found and I would argue that the only reason the Texans came within sniffing distance of .500 on his watch was because of Chris Palmer and the "relatively level" amount of talent in the NFL. For crying out loud man Dom is known for defense and our defense was horrible. They were horrible year after year.

You have this man up on some sort of pedestal and I guess that's understandable since you're really a Titans fan anyway and would probably prefer to see the team muddling around south of .500 for as long as possible

You're just stirring the pot Bobo and I'm being stupid enough to feed your troll.
Old 04-02-2006   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
What Capers did for this team? I'll tell you exactly what Capers did for this team. He took the "First Coach" hickey that is 99.9% inevitable with any expansion team. For that I take my hat off to him but that's about where my applause stops. He hired and then stood by some of the crappiest assistant coaches that could be found and I would argue that the only reason the Texans came within sniffing distance of .500 on his watch was because of Chris Palmer and the "relatively level" amount of talent in the NFL. For crying out loud man Dom is known for defense and our defense was horrible. They were horrible year after year.

You have this man up on some sort of pedestal and I guess that's understandable since you're really a Titans fan anyway and would probably prefer to see the team muddling around south of .500 for as long as possible

You're just stirring the pot Bobo and I'm being stupid enough to feed your troll.
I've fed into it a good bit, and for that I apologize. But I cant resist the urge to correct it, especially when some of his facts are just plain wrong!
Old 04-02-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really can't believe that Bobo is even serious about anything he says on this board. I'm afraid he may be my split personality. Sorry.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read