Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-01-2006   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John McClain has officially lost it

I've never said one bad thing about McClain and respect his opinion on many issues. I've realized he was caught up in the Vince Young hype, but with this new bit he has totally contradicted himself.

will it be Bush or Young

He said after the Rosebowl there would be no problem keeping Carr and taking Vince Young and letting Young come into his own under Carr.

Now he says "You can't have Carr and Vince on the same team, because it wouldn't be fair to Carr, you would hear "we want Vince" everytime Carr sneezes" and then he goes on to make excuses for Carr.

After the Rosebowl he said we should take Young for many reasons, one of which was, because he is a fan favorite and the fans want him.

Now he says, "You don't draft, because of what the fans want that is the DUMBEST thing you can do".

Then he goes on to praise Bush.

This is just some of the flip flopping he does in this bit.

Before the Rosebowl he was on Bush, after the Rosebowl he was on Young, now he's going back to Bush.

Does he listen to anything he says.

Oh well I don't blame him, many are starting to come to the realization that Young isn't comming here.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 04-01-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #2
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1858 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

He should have ran with Kerry.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #3
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3006 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a few links down, he goes on and on saying there's no way Texans would take Bush over Young.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Aw C'mon guys!

It's his right to be a flip-flopper. He's sports columnist. Go with whichever way the wind blows. That's his job.

Or so aj always tells me when I slam him for this crap.:brickwall
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #5
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
I've never said one bad thing about McClain and respect his opinion on many issues. I've realized he was caught up in the Vince Young hype, but with this new bit he has totally contradicted himself.

will it be Bush or Young

He said after the Rosebowl there would be no problem keeping Carr and taking Vince Young and letting Young come into his own under Carr.

Now he says "You can't have Carr and Vince on the same team, because it wouldn't be fair to Carr, you would hear "we want Vince" everytime Carr sneezes" and then he goes on to make excuses for Carr.

After the Rosebowl he said we should take Young for many reasons, one of which was, because he is a fan favorite and the fans want him.

Now he says, "You don't draft, because of what the fans want that is the DUMBEST thing you can do".

Before the Rosebowl he was on Bush, after the Rosebowl he was on Young, now he's going back to Bush.

Oh well I don't blame him, many are starting to come to the realization that Young isn't comming here.
Thats no different than anybody else around here. Including me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Thats no different than anybody else around here. Including me.
I know thats why I said I don't blame him. He painted himself into a corner, now he is back stepping out of it.
Old 04-01-2006   #7
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

Quote:
"You don't draft, because of what the fans want that is the DUMBEST thing you can do".
That statement is 100% correct. Teams draft to benefit themselves, even if it is not popular with some of the "fans".
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2006   #8
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:

will it be Bush or Young

This guy's just another fan who happens to write a column in a newspaper I don't read too often anymore.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #9
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Default John McClain

I don't read too much of his work anymore or listen to him on radio, either. He's been around a long time, but he's not very smart.

I remember years ago when Ricky Williams came out of Texas and hired Master P's firm to represent him. McClain went ON and ON and ON about how people were wrong to slam Ricky for that decision, pointing out that his agent had a degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. So what happened? Williams' agent didn't know what the heck he was doing and Williams signed a horrible contract for a rookie of his stature.

Just last year, McClain was dumping on Cedric Benson, saying that he was going to fall deep into the first round of the draft and NO WAY was he going to be a top 5 pick. He may have corrected himself shortly before the draft actually took place, but he was just plain wrong for the longest period.

My point? McClain is at his best when he's telling stories about the NFL that he's witnessed, but don't count on him for good "inside" information or quality original thinking. I think NFL guys play him like a fiddle to serve their own purposes.

The Chronicle's sportwriters are a mediocre bunch. That's why I'm going to let my subscription lapse when it comes due.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
The Chronicle's sportwriters are a mediocre bunch. That's why I'm going to let my subscription lapse when it comes due.
I dunno.....what do you think of Megan Manfull ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #11
pearland
Rookie

Quote:
He's been around a long time, but he's not very smart.

I agree and I disagree with this statement.

Why McClain is NOT smart: He makes poor predictions and does not know all of the football he thinks.

Why McClain is $MART: He knows who pays his his $alary. He make$ several po$itive comment$ on the Texans, no matter if he really knows if they are good or not. He know$ that he needs to paint a pretty picture for the team that he cover$ and help to contiube to create interest. He is part of the martketing team and he know$ it pay$ him to be po$itive on the local team.

Here is a very good lesson to be learned: Don't make your boss (or your customer) look stupid in public. Just ask Gerry Hunsicker. He was good. But what got he fired was not his performance but he did not defend his boss. Drayton did deserve some of the comments and pressure to make changes, but IT IS YOUR BOSS. If I make my boss stupid in public, I will be fired - within seconds.

Last edited by pearland; 04-01-2006 at 07:40 PM.
pearland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point? McClain is at his best when he's telling stories about the NFL that he's witnessed, but don't count on him for good "inside" information or quality original thinking. I think NFL guys play him like a fiddle to serve their own purposes.

I agree. I think too many of these guys try to be like Chris Mortenson or other insiders at ESPN. I don't like ESPN's east coast bias that much, but I do respect Mortenson and all the other's about getting information. They are usually reliable. McClain is not.

David Justice, I just can't stand when it comes to football. Most of his baseball stuff I like because that's what he's good at. But football, I wish he would stay out of. I like John Lopez the best.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
That statement is 100% correct. Teams draft to benefit themselves, even if it is not popular with some of the "fans".
I know,

I was quoting McClain, because it wasn't even a couple of months ago that he was arguing for drafting Vince, because and I quote, He's a hometown hero and would be fan favorite and Mcnair would have to add a whole other section on the Reliant Stadium and yada yada yada.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 04-01-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2006   #14
old football fan
Veteran

John McClain hasn't lost it.....he naver had it. If all the media types knew so much about football then why don't they own teams, or be at least the GM of one one or coaching one. My advise is leave the draft to the ones in the know.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #15
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan
John McClain hasn't lost it.....he naver had it. If all the media types knew so much about football then why don't they own teams, or be at least the GM of one one or coaching one. My advise is leave the draft to the ones in the know.
Well, it does take a lot of money to own a team and having been in the newspaper business myself, those guys don't make a lot of it. And you definitely have to have connections to become a GM.
Old 04-01-2006   #16
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My point? McClain is at his best when he's telling stories about the NFL that he's witnessed
I think he's pretty boring when he does that, too. These guys aren't hired for their charisma, you know. They are hired because they can write and spell -- something most HS students can do.
Old 04-01-2006   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Well, it does take a lot of money to own a team and having been in the newspaper business myself, those guys don't make a lot of it. And you definitely have to have connections to become a GM.
I'm pretty sure McClain and Justice and every other writer for a major papper gets paid pretty good.

Newspaper writers aren't really different than many posters on this board (atleast the smart ones ), the only difference is that they have a degree in journalism and get paid for their opinions.
Old 04-01-2006   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I dunno.....what do you think of Megan Manfull ?
Middle school must have been hell for her...
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #19
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearland
Why McClain is $MART: He knows who pays his his $alary. He make$ several po$itive comment$ on the Texans, no matter if he really knows if they are good or not. He know$ that he needs to paint a pretty picture for the team that he cover$ and help to contiube to create interest. He is part of the martketing team and he know$ it pay$ him to be po$itive on the local team.
I'd call it selling out. The NBA Lakers had a radio/TV announcer for about 3000 games (Chick Hearn, you may have heard of him), who would just trash the Lakers for their mistakes. He was honest no matter how bad it hurt. Granted, the Lakers didn't make a lot of mistakes back then but when they did he was the first to point it out, because he was the first to see it and he believed it was his job to let the fans know the true facts, as he saw them, to the best of his ability. The man never backtracked, not once.

Nobody fired him, and in fact there will probably be some award named in his honor sometime in the future.

There is a newspaper columnist at the L.A. Times, Bill Plaschke, who's won a Pulitzer with a style consisting of brutal reality mixed with a bit of humor and not even a touch of patronization towards his readers.

I understand that the situation is vastly different with the Texans than with the Lakers or Dodgers, who have both been around longer than most of us have been alive. Still, wouldn't you prefer the cold winds of harsh reality to the unnerving wash of smoke up your *****?

If the airheads in L. A. can deal with the truth I would think the people of Houston would deserve the same amount of credit. You are the fourth largest city in the United States. You can do better than McClain, who never saw a bandwagon he didn't like.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
I'd call it selling out.

................... I understand that the situation is vastly different with the Texans than with the Lakers or Dodgers, who have both been around longer than most of us have been alive. Still, wouldn't you prefer the cold winds of harsh reality to the unnerving wash of smoke up your *****?

If the airheads in L. A. can deal with the truth I would think the people of Houston would deserve the same amount of credit. You are the fourth largest city in the United States. You can do better than McClain, who never saw a bandwagon he didn't like.
hehe . . . good post.

Maybe we don't really deserve any better than the likes of Justice and McClain. Afterall, this is pretty much a bandwagon type of town.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read