Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-31-2006   #1
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Loverne signed

Who, you say?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo.../players/4740/

Interior o-line depth. Per a report on SR610.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Well he was a starter in 2002 and 2004 for most of the season. I don't know how good those O-lines were though. 2002 was Washington. 2004 was Detroit.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133345
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I could gather has had a history of injuries, but still could be an effective back-up if there are no developmental type prospects.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #4
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When is Carl Shirley gonna sign
Old 03-31-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

good move. Was talking about this with a friend last night. If we have Moulds.. that leaves are two biggest holes at DB, OT, and OG.

We have starters at OT and OG.. but we lack depth.. all in all we would have 1 OT and 1 OG as depth. I figured we would probably make some low key "depth" signings on the line. Glad that the FO agrees with me
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #6
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan
When is Carl Shirley gonna sign
and does Loverne get to wear a large cursive "L" on his jersey?
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans add free agent Gaurd

From the Chronic.

Texans add guard Loverne

The Houston Texans agreed to terms with free agent guard David Loverne on Friday.
Loverne, who spent the last two seasons with the Detroit Lions, did not play last season after suffering a torn biceps.

The 6-foot-3, 299-pound player has started 24 career games and also played for the New York Jets, St. Louis and Washington.
He was a third round pick of the Jets in 1999.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2006   #8
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Already been posted.
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=20547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

He missed last season (2005) with a torn Bicep....

good zone blocking fit in Kubiacs style, not strong but quick if he can stay healthy
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're correct in assuming Wade will be a June 1st cut, I think one of two things must be true:

1. We're actually going to take Ferguson.

2. Kubiak and company have a much higher opinion of both Pitts and Wand than the previous staff. Some, myself included, have argued for two years that most of the OL problems were interior problems. Especially in 2004, I came away from the season quite impressed with Wand. He only committed 3 penalties the entire season (very low total for a tackle) and I thought he rarely was badly beat. Furthermore, the team didn't double or chip often. And, a number of the sacks he was collared with were a result of the inability of Carr to step up into the pocket, either because the interior line was beaten or because of Carr's lack of presence in the pocket.

We have now signed two interior linemen (loevrne, Flanagan) and resigned one (Weary). Meanwhile, other than meeting with Ashworth, I don't think any effort has been made to sure up the tackle position.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dale,

I think the other option is that they believe Weigert plays RT well enough.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Dale,

I think the other option is that they believe Weigert plays RT well enough.

I'm sure they see him as depth at the position. However, I doubt they are counting on a 34 year old, injury-prone guy to start at a position he hasn't really played in three years. I'm sure they will be spending a first day pick on a tackle also. However, if they cut Wade and don't draft Ferguson or sign anyone else at tackle, I think it's clear they like Wand.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #13
outofhnd
All Pro

I think wand will do great on the RT, he does great against power rush the problem is when he has to take on a speed rusher. Then he loses his momentum and instead of holding turns him loose.
Old 03-31-2006   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

loverne is a good signing...it greatly improves our depth of just fred weary...it really has yet to be seen if we're going to move weigert to RT or keep him at RG...obviously it will depend on who we are able to pick in the second round...if winston or scott are there i think we'll let them fight it out with weigert for the RT position and the loser will get the RG position...wade i see either being cut after june 1st or we are going to hear that he as restructured his deal so we can trade him to a team that needs a mauling RT for it's running game...like the panthers or patriots
Old 04-01-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

nothing wrong with adding some depth, and the good thing is that I don't see us paying him that much, but I do not see him really having an impact on this team unless players go down during the season.
Old 04-01-2006   #16
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Well he is 6'3 299, I checked Denver last year and he fits the mold of the guys they had out their, he has been a starter in the past which can't be bad. I hope he comes in hungry for PT and wins a starting job. Heck he can't be worse than what was on the field last year! Another OL addition to the team, ALL RIGHT !!!!!!!!!
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #17
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think your size makes you good or bad. If he can play, he can, I don't think the fact that he's 6ft. 3in. and almost 300 pounds has to do with anything.
Old 04-01-2006   #18
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I don't think your size makes you good or bad. If he can play, he can, I don't think the fact that he's 6ft. 3in. and almost 300 pounds has to do with anything.
Is it a mear coincidence that every OL on Denver is around that size or smaller. A zone blocking scheme needs slimmer, more agile OL to be productive. They did a big wirite up on if at FOXSPORTS but it is clearly evident that the more sucessful OL in Denver were around 290 some were under 290. They had one big bodied kid at right tackle last year and he was a backup that got to play in 4 games and he was like 317. I hope some of the larger bodied linemen on the Texans can be good as well, but thinner line men make it easier for the RB to find holes. Just a proven fact! They are not drive you deep into the linbacker OL they are hit you in the mouth in a hurry and move you latterally left or right into strategic points to open lanes for the RB's.
Old 04-01-2006   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Texas
Is it a mear coincidence that every OL on Denver is around that size or smaller. A zone blocking scheme needs slimmer, more agile OL to be productive. They did a big wirite up on if at FOXSPORTS but it is clearly evident that the more sucessful OL in Denver were around 290 some were under 290. They had one big bodied kid at right tackle last year and he was a backup that got to play in 4 games and he was like 317. I hope some of the larger bodied linemen on the Texans can be good as well, but thinner line men make it easier for the RB to find holes. Just a proven fact! They are not drive you deep into the linbacker OL they are hit you in the mouth in a hurry and move you latterally left or right into strategic points to open lanes for the RB's.
I know what your saying and I think that's why Kubiak wanted him here. But I just don't think that he will do anything here and he will not start for us just because of his size. I don't think he can beat out or even pressure any of our starters for their starting job.
Old 04-01-2006   #20
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

No I understood you, I was just trying to rationalize why this guy could be in the mix of things next year. I mean, Kubiak of Denver, prefered thinner more athletic OL. I believe this is one of the reasons Houston was not jumping out of the gates running after the monster OL in the beginning of the FA. This is also my reasoning on why we will have alot of poetential in this years draft at the OL spot because the kid from OSU, Miami, and even Scott from Texas will all be their in the second, and scott in the 3rd. I Hope!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read