Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-31-2006   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default will farve retire or not

personally i think the man is retiring and here's why...if you are having to wait and see the if the packers are going to sign key free agents or not then it's obvious your not heart is not just in it anymore...i know it's hard for him to walk away from the game but i seriously think it's time for him to do just that...personally i think he is one of the top 5 qb's of all-time...everyone has their own opinion on that but that's mine...i wish farve a good retirement and i can't wait for his HOF induction speech
Old 03-31-2006   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Brett is the football equivalent of Roger Clement.

He "may" retire every offseason; he's thinking hard about it but nah at the last minute he's going to play.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

LINK

The Green Bay Packers aren't pressuring Brett Favre to make a retirement decision by Saturday's due date for a $3 million roster bonus. And even if they were, the quarterback doesn't think he owes the team a decision this weekend anyway.

In his most recent comments about his murky football future, Favre made one thing clear: If he does return, he told a newspaper in his native Mississippi there is "no doubt" it will be his last season.

Favre's retirement saga has turned into pro football's version of Groundhog Day, as fans and the media try to predict the future based upon brief public glimpses of the iconic QB during the winter.

Saturday's bonus due date recently has been interpreted as a deadline from the team's management for Favre to make a decision. But Favre doesn't seem inclined to meet it, and the Packers aren't going to hold him to it.

"If I don't tell them by Saturday, what will they do, cut me?" Favre told the Sun Herald in Gulfport, Miss.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson already has moved the roster bonus deadline back to accommodate his star quarterback, and he seems willing to do so again.

"No, it never has been (a deadline)," Thompson told The Associated Press on Friday. "It's just another date in the spring."

Thompson, who has remained in contact with Favre during the offseason, said he hasn't heard anything that would indicate a decision is imminent.

"We've talked to Brett and (wife) Deanna, and I've said all along that they'll decide when they decide," Thompson said.

Favre said he wants to play again but will return only if the Packers can assemble a winning team.

"Last season, expectations were high and it was a bad situation," Favre said of the team's 4-12 season, his only losing one in Green Bay. "If we can't compete at a high level, I can walk away and my legacy will speak for itself."

Thompson said Favre's unclear future isn't having a negative effect on the team's preparations for next season. But the sooner Favre decides, the better.

"It's OK now," Thompson said. "I think everybody would like to know. I think Brett would like to know."

The Packers did not pursue experienced quarterbacks such as Aaron Brooks and Brian Griese in free agency, but Thompson said that was not an indication that the Packers are assuming Favre will return.

Aaron Rodgers, the team's first-round draft pick last season, is presumed to be in line to take over the starting role if Favre retires. But Thompson said the team would look to add a more experienced quarterback, possibly through a trade, if Favre does retire.

"Obviously, with Brett not in the equation, we might have to add another type of player," Thompson said.

But Thompson hopes it doesn't come to that.
Old 04-01-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Favre said he would come back if they (the packers) brought in more free agents and improved the team. So far they haven't done that. If Favre doesn't come back, it's almost like the Packers were asking him to leave.
Old 04-03-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

from www.kffl.com

Packers | Chmura chides Favre
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:56:32 -0700

The Capital Times reports former Green Bay Packers TE Mark Chmura ripped QB Brett Favre, his former friend and teammate, during his Sunday morning radio show, April 2. Commenting on Favre's inability to make a decision on whether to retire or return for one more season, Chmura said: "People who don't think that it's all about him are fooling themselves. With a quote like 'What are they gonna do, cut me?' It's all about him." Chmura made his comments during the Miller Lite Football Show, which airs Sunday mornings from 8 to 10 a.m. on Milwaukee's ESPN Radio, WAUK-AM/1510. Chmura added that he isn't sure why Favre would want to return in 2006.
Old 04-03-2006   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Favre is a major league waffler on the retirement issue but there is no need for Mark to get ugly about it. Jerk.
Old 04-03-2006   #7
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Favre is going to really screw up his team especially if he retires. He's acting like he's the whole team and everyone has to wait for Lord Favre.
Old 04-03-2006   #8
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 16 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Mark Chmura of all people should not be bad mouthing anyone about anything.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale Gator
Mark Chmura of all people should not be bad mouthing anyone about anything.

You said a mouthful there.
Old 04-03-2006   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I got to say, I am suprised at Favre. It seems he is being selfish, always thought he was more of a "team comes first" kind of guy.
Old 04-03-2006   #11
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
from www.kffl.com

Packers | Chmura chides Favre
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:56:32 -0700

The Capital Times reports former Green Bay Packers TE Mark Chmura ripped QB Brett Favre, his former friend and teammate, during his Sunday morning radio show, April 2. Commenting on Favre's inability to make a decision on whether to retire or return for one more season, Chmura said: "People who don't think that it's all about him are fooling themselves. With a quote like 'What are they gonna do, cut me?' It's all about him." Chmura made his comments during the Miller Lite Football Show, which airs Sunday mornings from 8 to 10 a.m. on Milwaukee's ESPN Radio, WAUK-AM/1510. Chmura added that he isn't sure why Favre would want to return in 2006.
I heard that too!

I wonder what Mark Chmura said when he was with that teenage girl?

"what are they gonna do, arrest me?"

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"

Last edited by Bullpen Drew; 04-03-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #12
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

They should cut him!
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #13
4th&inches
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
"what are they gonna do, arrest me?"

I think that he will come back and the Packers are trying to get Charles Woodson so that could be a big name to bring him back.?.
Old 04-04-2006   #14
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler
Default the writing is on the wall

the fact is greenbay wants to start rebuilding. They've been sending the message the past year or so with the moves they have been making. the dismantling of the oline, the so-so drafts, Javon Walker and the firing of Sherman. The organization wants to rebuild. The only reason they haven't gone Fullbown is Favre.

Selfish? No I think Favre wants to see a commitment to winning now and in the future. I think the past year was obviously hard on Brett since he is very used to being a competitive team at least. Injuries did mount up last year and parts of poor drafting and lack of key free agent signings has shown in depth.

I wonder about the Status of Ahman Green now. Is anyone else here not really sold on Aaron Rodgers being able to lead a team? The Oline? Defensive Secondary?

I think the organization is trying to nicely push the greenbay football hero out of town. The organization jsut hasn't been the same since Ron Wolf left. BTW i would love to see him emerge as a Commish candidate.
Please_Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve
the fact is greenbay wants to start rebuilding. They've been sending the message the past year or so with the moves they have been making. the dismantling of the oline, the so-so drafts, Javon Walker and the firing of Sherman. The organization wants to rebuild. The only reason they haven't gone Fullbown is Favre.

Selfish? No I think Favre wants to see a commitment to winning now and in the future. I think the past year was obviously hard on Brett since he is very used to being a competitive team at least. Injuries did mount up last year and parts of poor drafting and lack of key free agent signings has shown in depth.

I wonder about the Status of Ahman Green now. Is anyone else here not really sold on Aaron Rodgers being able to lead a team? The Oline? Defensive Secondary?

I think the organization is trying to nicely push the greenbay football hero out of town. The organization jsut hasn't been the same since Ron Wolf left. BTW i would love to see him emerge as a Commish candidate.
I disagree with you on the fact that Favre is being selfish. But I do agree with you on the point that Favre wants to see a commitment to winning this year. With the most cap room out of any team before free agency started (and probably as of now too) they haven't done anything
Old 04-04-2006   #16
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

I hear Mark Cmhrura is a fan of R Kelly

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Of all people to reply, they had to pick Chmura?! SHADUP ALREADY!

Favre should just let it go. Dude has nothing left to prove, has a ring, a record that nobody will touch for a long time, and a trip to the HoF in his future.

If he's questioning his desire to play, then I think he's lost it. No use playing for a rebuild team just to prove the point.
Old 04-07-2006   #18
texan279
Hall of Fame

Default Favre to announce his plans Saturday morning

LINK

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Brett Favre has scheduled a Saturday morning news conference, where he is expected to announce whether he'll return to play for the Green Bay Packers this season.

Becky Stuart, a personal assistant to the Favre family, confirmed that the news conference would be held at Favre's charity golf tournament in Tunica,
In a story in Friday's Green Bay Press-Gazette, Favre said that he told general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy earlier this week that he may have a decision by the weekend or early next week.

"I want to do what's best, obviously, for me and my family," he said. "But regardless of what people might think, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the team. I don't want to do that. I think that the people that know me, including those in the organization, know that."

Favre, who spoke with the Press-Gazette reporter at his golf tournament, said he wouldn't want to play for anyone but the Packers, who finished 4-12 last season, Favre's only losing one in Green Bay.

The 36-year-old Favre, who would be entering his 16th season in the NFL, still feels he can play but said last season rattled his confidence a bit.

"I had a lot of chances to pull us out of the fire last year and I didn't do it," he said.

Favre said he wouldn't return just to collect his $10 million salary or to try to break more records. If that were the case, he said, he already would have made his decision.

"That's sort of my dilemma right now. If I felt like we really could compete for the Super Bowl, I would come back. Or am I coming back just to play and to have fun, and in the process maybe we lose," he said. "Last year was no fun for the fans or for the players, and nobody wants to go through that again."

Favre said he has concerns about the team's offensive line, which struggled last season after the departure of stalwart guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera to free agency.

"From a coach's standpoint, you have to say the right things, that we'll be competitive and we'll win, and I truly believe Mike McCarthy will do a fine job," he said. "But really, what have we done to replace the guys that we've lost on the line?"

Favre said McCarthy isn't letting uncertainty about his star quarterback affect his preparation, which includes getting Aaron Rodgers, the team's first-round draft pick last season, ready to start.

Favre said his greatest dilemma is figuring out whether he can get up the energy to have fun, something he didn't have last season.
Old 04-07-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Of all people to reply, they had to pick Chmura?! SHADUP ALREADY!

Favre should just let it go. Dude has nothing left to prove, has a ring, a record that nobody will touch for a long time, and a trip to the HoF in his future.

If he's questioning his desire to play, then I think he's lost it. No use playing for a rebuild team just to prove the point.
It's not the playing players retire from, its the offseason conditioning, according to many retired players.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #20
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

There will be an announcement at 8:30 am eastern time. It will be broadcasted live on the NFL Network. I'm not a Packers fan, but Brett Favre is an NFL great and I guess I can find my way out of the bed by 7:30

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read