Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-31-2006   #1
battlered

Default The Moulds Factor

okay i'm tired of people saying moulds is too old, that he's not gonna be able to get 70catches a season, BLAH BLAH BLAH

All Moulds will need to do is play the game, make crucial catches(unlike Bradford), he's just here really to take pressure off of AJ80, he still at least the beginning of the season command some of the defenses attention.

thus opening up more for our offense, meaning more plays we can run, Draws, bootlegs. i don't care if either Moulds or AJ is our #1 receiver, as long as Moulds proves that he can make the catches, which he has thus being in the league for so long and still demanding attention in the FA all is good. he can mentor aj and our receiving corps, he can front Carr if he does something wrong, never saw any of our receivers bash him, (but carr didn't bash Bradford in the game for missing a ball either)

we will prob have the best players to ever play in the kubiak scheme not counting elway n' terrell davis.

W/ AJ, Moulds, Walter, Mathis, Putzier we could have sucess playin a pass oriented offense,
W/ Bush(if we draft him), DomDavis, Morency, Norris and our other FB's we can also have sucess just playin a run oriented offense.

which means that our offense will/should be great(if our O-line can play the scheme right)

so w/ kubes i'd say we're prob gonna do a 60/40 run/pass offense, the amount of passing plays will depend on the o-line being able to protect carr, but if we can run well, which we should, we have more receiving options in AJ, Moulds, Putzier, Bush, DD, Mathis, Walter.

i think our offense will be our greatest turnaround, i just hope that we can get our D. to play smart and aggressive. Main key to how good our defense will be is if we're able to consistently pressure the QB, i think we're running a 4-3 cover 2 scheme, and hopefully P-buc will thrive, faggins might because he doesn't have great athletisicm, and he could just cover a zone instead of manning up w/ a fast wideout,

but back to the point, i think moulds will do great, he doesn't need to catch a TD everygame to be effective, he just needs to keep the defense in check, by forcing them not being able to double down on AJ and bush,

one play i like! Scenario

---we motion bush out to aj's side forcing ss to man-up on bush
---aj can't be doubled
---fs can double moulds, or cover Putzier but will prob play deep cover1 to
protect against the big play
---lb will prob cover Putzier once he runs his route other OLB will prob blitz, mlb could play a qbspy or cover the middle, but most likely will blitz (b/c our bad rep for our line)
---fb stays in to block
---molds runs a deep out post route,
---putzier runs a 3-5yd flats on molds side
---bush runs a wheel route
---AJ a 3-5yd slant towards the middle

---now if mlb blitzes than the FS has to help w/ either SS on Bush, run to the line to help out w/ AJ, or help out on Moulds,
---play is really designed to be for bush b/c his speed against a SS on a deep route might = a big gain/td
---hot route would be AJ if safety helps out on bush and the mlb is blitzin than AJ should have a short yardage catch w/ a chance for some YAC yards.

--- could also have moulds run a 5-10yd hitch route and send putzier down the field.
and yes i know only in a perfect world would this play work, well really as long as the opposing D isn't play a cover2/3/4 scheme. but motioning bush should give carr a somewhat look at what the d will be running

p.s. sorry my diagram sux(did it in less than 3min), and sorry that it's a small pic.

+ & - Comments welcome

Last edited by battlered; 03-31-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2006   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think you and others are underestimating Moulds by quite a bit. He hasn't lost much of his game physically and he plays the game with intelligence.
I think it's actually more than likely that he will be our best wideout statistically next season. AJ will continue to get the most attention from opposing Ds, and that will be a mistake IMO.
Moulds isn't the homerun threat that AJ can be, but he will be consistant, and consistantly good.
I'm not predicting it (yet), but if someone told me that we could have two 1,000yd recievers and a 1,000yd rusher next year I would not argue with them.
Of course, as always the question will be about protecting DC until we prove we can do it, but I think the OL will be at least average next year which will be a pretty sizeable improvement.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #3
Xman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlered
okay i'm tired of people saying moulds is too old, that he's not gonna be able to get 70catches a season, BLAH BLAH BLAH

All Moulds will need to do is play the game, make crucial catches(unlike Bradford), he's just here really to take pressure off of AJ80, he still at least the beginning of the season command some of the defenses attention.

thus opening up more for our offense, meaning more plays we can run, Draws, bootlegs. i don't care if either Moulds or AJ is our #1 receiver, as long as Moulds proves that he can make the catches, which he has thus being in the league for so long and still demanding attention in the FA all is good. he can mentor aj and our receiving corps, he can front Carr if he does something wrong, never saw any of our receivers bash him, (but carr didn't bash Bradford in the game for missing a ball either)

we will prob have the best players to ever play in the kubiak scheme not counting elway n' terrell davis.

W/ AJ, Moulds, Walter, Mathis, Putzier we could have sucess playin a pass oriented offense,
W/ Bush(if we draft him), DomDavis, Morency, Norris and our other FB's we can also have sucess just playin a run oriented offense.

which means that our offense will/should be great(if our O-line can play the scheme right)

so w/ kubes i'd say we're prob gonna do a 60/40 run/pass offense, the amount of passing plays will depend on the o-line being able to protect carr, but if we can run well, which we should, we have more receiving options in AJ, Moulds, Putzier, Bush, DD, Mathis, Walter.

i think our offense will be our greatest turnaround, i just hope that we can get our D. to play smart and aggressive. Main key to how good our defense will be is if we're able to consistently pressure the QB, i think we're running a 4-3 cover 2 scheme, and hopefully P-buc will thrive, faggins might because he doesn't have great athletisicm, and he could just cover a zone instead of manning up w/ a fast wideout,

but back to the point, i think moulds will do great, he doesn't need to catch a TD everygame to be effective, he just needs to keep the defense in check, by forcing them not being able to double down on AJ and bush,

one play i like! Scenario

---we motion bush out to aj's side forcing ss to man-up on bush
---aj can't be doubled
---fs can double moulds, or cover Putzier but will prob play deep cover1 to
protect against the big play
---lb will prob cover Putzier once he runs his route other OLB will prob blitz, mlb could play a qbspy or cover the middle, but most likely will blitz (b/c our bad rep for our line)
---fb stays in to block
---molds runs a deep out post route,
---putzier runs a 3-5yd flats on molds side
---bush runs a wheel route
---AJ a 3-5yd slant towards the middle

---now if mlb blitzes than the FS has to help w/ either SS on Bush, run to the line to help out w/ AJ, or help out on Moulds,
---play is really designed to be for bush b/c his speed against a SS on a deep route might = a big gain/td
---hot route would be AJ if safety helps out on bush and the mlb is blitzin than AJ should have a short yardage catch w/ a chance for some YAC yards.

--- could also have moulds run a 5-10yd hitch route and send putzier down the field.
and yes i know only in a perfect world would this play work, well really as long as the opposing D isn't play a cover2/3/4 scheme. but motioning bush should give carr a somewhat look at what the d will be running

p.s. sorry my diagram sux(did it in less than 3min), and sorry that it's a small pic.

+ & - Comments welcome

I like it.
I have been blowing Moulds' horn for two months - - I admit I thought Buff would cut him a while back but we got him (I hope) so it is all good.

I like the play. I think that is part of what makes Bush so scary - you can't cover him with a LB and probably not a safety (most safetys in the league won't be able to cover AJ, Moulds or Bush). So, I think most defenses will be forced to leave a 3rd CB in most of the game, which will open up the running game.

Also, when we sit Moulds or AJ - Bush and DD in together with a FB/TE or 2 TEs will let us shift into a variety of dangerous formations. (one huge benefit to Putzier is that the backside CB, if Putz is on that side, cannot automatically blitz)
When we sit Bush - DD can step in.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Did I miss something? Are Moulds and Bush signed as Texans?
Old 03-31-2006   #5
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

Default Battle Red I think I love you!

Seriously, you have to be the perfect woman, good looking and football smarts too. The diagram blew me away and "Cover 1" are you kidding, thats some knowledge to be sportin. Moulds is a HUGE step in the right direction.
twinkletwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #6
KSig44
Veteran

I was about to say, if that was her posting I would be hitting on her. I look forward to battlered posts just to see that picture. Lucky man.
KSig44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle
Seriously, you have to be the perfect woman, good looking and football smarts too. The diagram blew me away and "Cover 1" are you kidding, thats some knowledge to be sportin. Moulds is a HUGE step in the right direction.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=40744212

that's who you fell in love with.
Old 03-31-2006   #8
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

She is not my girlfriend. Not yet anyways.
Old 03-31-2006   #9
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle
She is not my girlfriend. Not yet anyways.
HAHAHAHahahaha
Old 03-31-2006   #10
twinkletwinkle
Rookie

Wow thats funny BattleRed is a my space Asian Dude. Just kidding about all that other nonsense. Wow. I thought it was too good to be true. Should have known better, Hot Chicks dont know defensive schemes.
Old 03-31-2006   #11
zeplin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Personally, I think you and others are underestimating Moulds by quite a bit. He hasn't lost much of his game physically and he plays the game with intelligence.
I think it's actually more than likely that he will be our best wideout statistically next season. AJ will continue to get the most attention from opposing Ds, and that will be a mistake IMO.
Moulds isn't the homerun threat that AJ can be, but he will be consistant, and consistantly good.
I'm not predicting it (yet), but if someone told me that we could have two 1,000yd recievers and a 1,000yd rusher next year I would not argue with them.
Of course, as always the question will be about protecting DC until we prove we can do it, but I think the OL will be at least average next year which will be a pretty sizeable improvement.

You may be right. And I agree he will make a formidable number2 RX.
I think we are having a exceptional offseason..
We have been aggresive and smart about the aquisitions we are making unlike past years..

Go GARY!!!
Old 04-01-2006   #12
Bobo
Hall of Fame

My comment is this: If the Texans don't do something about the offensive line, then there will be just more of the same thing that Jabbar Gaffney talked about after leaving -- that is, Carr being sacked before the receivers even get halfway through their routes. I don't care if you have Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss as your WRs. If you don't have an OL that can keep away the rush, then you will experience nothing but frustration. And when Moulds gets frustrated, he has proven that he can be more of a detriment to his team than an asset.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlered
LOL! yeah that pic was from 2yrs ago! the girl in my profile is an old friend of mine, i put her up just in case my ex-gf sees it she'll be pissed b/c she thinks we're "talkin", anyways long story.

but yeah!
if the opposing defense plays nickel, than we should run
if they play in a regular base then we have the option of motioning bush out.
the play is dependent on LBs. If the drop into coverage, they could tip Vince Young's pass. If they rush, Reggie Bush can't hold them. If only one rushes, D'Brick will stop them. BTW, I run this play in Madden a lot and what would set it over the top would be to have the FB or the HB go from out of the backfield to an empty area.

Last edited by mexican_texan; 04-01-2006 at 09:41 AM.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

This might seem like an interesting idea, but what about putting DD in the FB spot when we first line up? If we resign Wells, he would work even better. The reason being that when Reggie goes in motion, DD can just take his spot as the running back, forcing the defense to also protect against the run, as opposed to just a pass. However, if DD cant block very well, it might be a little obvious as to what we will be trying to do...
Old 04-01-2006   #15
Bobo
Hall of Fame

I personally don't even care to hear about any new player on this team unless they are associated with the offensive line or the defense as a hole. These are the real needs of this team -- not WR, QB, TE or FB. I don't care if you have Jimmy Brown, Johnny Unitas, Jerry Rice or Antonio Gates. Those guys won't be productive at all unless you have an offensive line that can keep the opposing pass rushers off the QB and give the WRs enough time to complete their routes. And the greatest RBs, QBs and WRs in the world won't be productive if the opposing team eats up yardage at seven yards a clip by running the ball down the field and keeping your offense off the field. So let's get realistic. This is not fantasy football where all that matters is what kind of "skill players" you have on the team. There's a reason Dan Marino did that commercial where he gave the Flextoner gloves to his offensive linemen, you know.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #16
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats great, other then watching Vicotr Rilley and Todd Wade play matador on the outisde, what else did you notice about the O-line play? Personally, I saw a whole bunch of pressure up the middle (Flanagan signed) and a whole lot of miscomunication, reulting in linebackers coming free a lot! While it would be nice to get D'Brick, and Im sure he would really help us, but by adding a new center, and most importantly, a new scheme, the offenseive line should look much better this season. Also, for the first time in team history, we have a qualified O-line coach!
Old 04-01-2006   #17
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Just because Madden rates him good he'll be good
Old 04-01-2006   #18
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans>Colts
Just because Madden rates him good he'll be good
Who are you talking about?
Old 04-02-2006   #19
IroquoisJoe
Rookie

Morning Texan Fans!!

Calling in here from the north woods someplace outside Buffalo.

I've been following Moulds his entire carreer, and loving it.
Just signed onto your board, reading some of your threads. So what I have to say has probably been gone over numerous times.

First off, I agree that some of you have been underestimating Moulds. He may have lost a step, but he was fast to begin with and is STILL a deep threat.
He's big, he's tough, and can play with a mean streak.

If he had a QB tossing to him like Farve, Manning or Green his entire carreer, or just one consistant guy playing with him behind centre, he'd be a candidate for the hall of fame by now. The constant turnover in Buffalo, and the rag-tag, less than stellar collection of nobs at QB have stunted his stats big time.

Look at his numbers with Bledsoe (Frankensloe). If he had that going for him for 5 years he'd be up there with the best.

Buffalo's loss is the Texans gain. He will make you proud. Wish he finished out his days up here.
He's well worth your 4th. He's a sure thing for at least 2 more years and longer. How many 4th round picks can you say that about, stepping into the line up.

Thanks again,I wish a great season for you and may God Bless!.

Last edited by IroquoisJoe; 04-02-2006 at 10:05 AM.
IroquoisJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IroquoisJoe
Morning Texan Fans!!

Calling in here from the north woods someplace outside Buffalo.

I've been following Moulds his entire carreer, and loving it.
Just signed onto your board, reading some of your threads. So what I have to say has probably been gone over numerous times.

First off, I agree that some of you have been underestimating Moulds. He may have lost a step, but he was fast to begin with and is STILL a deep threat.
He's big, he's tough, and can play with a mean streak.

If he had a QB tossing to him like Farve, Manning or Green his entire carreer, or just one consistant guy playing with him behind centre, he'd be a candidate for the hall of fame by now. The constant turnover in Buffalo, and the rag-tag, less than stellar collection of nobs at QB have stunted his stats big time.

Look at his numbers with Bledsoe (Frankensloe). If he had that going for him for 5 years he'd be up there with the best.

Buffalo's loss is the Texans gain. He will make you proud. Wish he finished out his days up here.
He's well worth your 4th. He's a sure thing for at least 2 more years and longer. How many 4th round picks can you say that about, stepping into the line up.

Thanks again,I wish a great season for you and may God Bless!.
Thanks for the comments. Its not a done deal yet, but I think Moulds and the Texans can go a long way this year. New coaching, a number of new players, and the draft all add up to something very different than prior years. I have high hopes that our receiver coor along with AJ and Moulds leading the way are going to be a nightmare to defend. Obviously we should have an above average running game to add to it. I keep thinking we are going to be a big surprise if it all fits together like I think it will. You might want to watch a few of the Texans games this year. May be you will even become a fan....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read