Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-29-2006   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Powder Puff NFL

What is wrong with the NFL these days. The days of smashmouth football are coming to an end and soon all we will have is arena football on a bigger field.

The NFL continues to take away the defenses ability to stop almost any offensive player. Now thanks to the NFL a rushing defender cannot forcibly hit a passer who has one or both feet on the ground in the knee area or below, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him...so basically they are officially putting QBs in the same category as kickers.

Basically you cant hit them, why dont you just give them all red jerseys and call it a sack when they get touched. The thing that is killing me is the part that I highlighted," even if the initial contact is above the knee", that means if a DE gets to a QB, hits him the waist initially, then grabs at his lower legs, it is a penalty. This is making it almost impossible to stop the Vicks,McNabbs and Youngs of the world. Its hard enough to hit him already but it just got harder.

Also Horse-collar tackling has been expanded to prohibit grabbing a ball carrier from behind by the inside of the jersey, as well as the shoulder pads.

So now you cant grab the collar of a players jersey!!!!!!!!! What??? We might as well draft Reggie now because no on will be able to tackle him from behind without getting penalty. WOW.

I think the NFL turns more and more into flag football yearly.

NFL.com
Old 03-29-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
What is wrong with the NFL these days. The days of smashmouth football are coming to an end and soon all we will have is arena football on a bigger field.

The NFL continues to take away the defenses ability to stop almost any offensive player. Now thanks to the NFL a rushing defender cannot forcibly hit a passer who has one or both feet on the ground in the knee area or below, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him...so basically they are officially putting QBs in the same category as kickers.

Basically you cant hit them, why dont you just give them all red jerseys and call it a sack when they get touched. The thing that is killing me is the part that I highlighted," even if the initial contact is above the knee", that means if a DE gets to a QB, hits him the waist initially, then grabs at his lower legs, it is a penalty. This is making it almost impossible to stop the Vicks,McNabbs and Youngs of the world. Its hard enough to hit him already but it just got harder.

Also Horse-collar tackling has been expanded to prohibit grabbing a ball carrier from behind by the inside of the jersey, as well as the shoulder pads.

So now you cant grab the collar of a players jersey!!!!!!!!! What??? We might as well draft Reggie now because no on will be able to tackle him from behind without getting penalty. WOW.

NFL.com
Trying to tackle from below doesn't always work. Just look at the missed tackles when someone trys bringing someone down by the legs. Tackle him from above his waist and you'll be sure to bring him down.

The horse collar rule I have no problem with either. I saw it time and time again last year and it wasn't enforced. I don't want to see another injury like TO's.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Trying to tackle from below doesn't always work. Just look at the missed tackles when someone trys bringing someone down by the legs. Tackle him from above his waist and you'll be sure to bring him down.

The horse collar rule I have no problem with either. I saw it time and time again last year and it wasn't enforced. I don't want to see another injury like TO's.
Regardless if it works or not you shouldnt ban it. I have seen plays over and over again where a DE has gotten knocked down and still crawled over to the QB to bring him down. Now he would have to get up first, thats bull.

And as a football player you take down a player anyway you can. Dont intentionally hurt anyone, but if its either make the tackle and take the penalty or dont make the tackle and get scored on, i guarantee that every NFL defender will take the penalty. Thats the risk you take when you put on the pads. This is FOOTBALL, it is a VIOLENT, CONTACT sport. And every year they make it harder to play D and easier to score.
Old 03-29-2006   #4
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

man am i glad u guys agree. to heck with all of the protection of the quaterback BS, lets get back to the days of trying to knock the qb out of the game. and another thing, BRING back the helmet to helmet contact. these guys are warriors out there and as long as they arent playing dirty or taking cheap shots, let them play!
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

This basically isn't even a rule change. Peek, Smith and Walker all got called for personal fouls last year on this. There is still an out:

Quote:
It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him.
They just reworded it to place the "when in doubt" onus a little more on the defender to avoid the contact.
Old 03-30-2006   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I don't understand the problem. Defenses may have to adjust to keep offenses from scoring.

And that's bad because why?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #7
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

football to me is a violent game. People get injured....if im playing defense, i dont want to have to stop and change how im about to take someone down because the rules dont let me. By any means, IMO.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2006   #8
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I like the big hits as well...even the ones on QBs. I just don't recall any big hits that came below the knees (that aren't memorable because an injury occurred). The ones I remember were usually blind-side hits that came up high.
Old 03-30-2006   #9
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

wait..does this meant, lets say, if a rusher is knocked to the ground and the qb is half a yard away- the rusher cant reach out and swipe the qbs legs from in under him (ala merriman on peyton manning last year)....if so thats completely stupid
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
wait..does this meant, lets say, if a rusher is knocked to the ground and the qb is half a yard away- the rusher cant reach out and swipe the qbs legs from in under him (ala merriman on peyton manning last year)....if so thats completely stupid

I agree that the above mentioned type of tackle should be legal, however it's obvious that they've instated this rule in order to prevent broken legs and the such.
Old 03-30-2006   #11
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier

NFL.com
Or since it would almost be impossible to stop Vince Young with the new rule draft him!...

Kidding of course, I wanna see us draft Bush or Mario
Farough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #12
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah this doesn't change anything at all, not a thing. Absolutely of no consequence. Who the heck do you guys think your kidding. Lets see, you can't hit a QB in the head area, even a mild slap with a hand trying to grab a jersey is illegal. You can't hit them too hard or its a personal foul for unnecessary roughness. Gone to the days of yesteryear are the old rules of you get one step after the QB releases the ball to hit him. Now days you can't rush him with everything you got, because that would mean you couldn't stop yourself if you had to pull up at the last second.You can't hit them below the knee's, and NOW you can't even grab them below the knees and trip them up. And someone mentioned tackling above the waist. Yeah I see Culpepper dropping like a rock everytime someone goes one on one with him and a helmet to the chest type tackle. Wimpy old Rothlesburger folds everytime anyone gets a breath of air against him with a waving hand, NOT.

The NFL needs to stop changing their uniforms and just start issuing pink tu-tu's to the QB so at least the crowd understands that females are now allowed to play in the NFL at the position of QB.

this is all about protecting the owners investment of the highest paid player on the field, not about protection of QB as a player because he is in some kind of vulnerable position.

call a spade a spade
Old 03-30-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The just helps womanize football. I say we start a wave of WWE players, and just let them Suplex someone from behind. (Sarcasm intended)

Also, for whoever said it is better to tackle above the waist, you are wrong. A proper tackle, which you hardly ever see, is where you have your head across the ball-carriers numbers and you are going full speed, you wrap your arms around their thighs, directly under their buttocks, and explode into them at full speed. You then procede to lift the ball-carier off the ground, using your solid wrap up technique, and then you thrust both yourself and the ball-carrier to the ground. A good tackle should ring your bell for the next play, and his for the next series.

Ex: We were playing St. Thomas this year, and I was at TE, we ran a reverse play to end the half. I cut blocked the DE, and ran back down the line to light some guys *** up. Granted I did not tackle him for obvious reasons, but he didn't even leave the field for halftime, and he didn't play again that game. I had a ringing in the front of my head until we started playing again.

Play hard, at full speed, grow a set or go home.
Old 03-30-2006   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoo-hoo, I hope this goes for HS too. Joke. I play QB and I have no problem being hit below the waist, because when I play D I'll take the guy down however I can.

Used to play MLB before our QB's got injured and I had to step in.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

My knee was taken out by a defensive player while playing QB. I'm a bit sensitive on the subject.
Old 03-30-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
The just helps womanize football.
Just a oft topic suggestion. Please do not use the term "womanize" when you mean to say something is more wussy. I'm not being all PC about this, I am just asking for a little accuracy.

Womens, and especially Texas womens ain't wussy. And if you want to say any different, I am guessing there are any number of Texans womens on the MB to set you straight.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Just a oft topic suggestion. Please do not use the term "womanize" when you mean to say something is more wussy. I'm not being all PC about this, I am just asking for a little accuracy.

Womens, and especially Texas womens ain't wussy. And if you want to say any different, I am guessing there are any number of Texans womens on the MB to set you straight.

haha, sorry about that. No offense meant towards women. They make up a good portion of my life. I wanted to use something along the lines of gaying it up, but couldn't make it work and felt it would be even more offensive. Hope there are no hard feelings for that comment.
Old 03-31-2006   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
haha, sorry about that. No offense meant towards women. They make up a good portion of my life. I wanted to use something along the lines of gaying it up, but couldn't make it work and felt it would be even more offensive. Hope there are no hard feelings for that comment.
Yeah, its cool.

BTW, I think that the result of any new rule is that the roughing the QB calls go against our young guys, but when Carr gets crunched, they swallow the whistle. At least that is what happened last year. I know there is no way to prove this, but it seems like all the chickensheet calls go against our team. And St. Manning and his holy Colts get away with everything.

Call me but that's what I saw. Maybe with more vet guys on our team, we might get less baffling calls against us.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
BTW, I think that the result of any new rule is that the roughing the QB calls go against our young guys, but when Carr gets crunched, they swallow the whistle. At least that is what happened last year. I know there is no way to prove this, but it seems like all the chickensheet calls go against our team. And St. Manning and his holy Colts get away with everything.

Call me but that's what I saw. Maybe with more vet guys on our team, we might get less baffling calls against us.
JMO, but it isn't a bias against the Texans, it is a bias in favor of the big time/expected winners. When in doubt the calls on average tend to fall in favor of the team with the better play-off chances. So far the Texans aren't a respected team so they aren't gonna get the calls especially against the Colts and Manning when they are trying to set TD records or go undefeated.
Old 03-31-2006   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i understand why they made this rule...they're not trying to hide the fact that they will protect the QB by any means possible...this is just the next step...but me being a pro-defense guy i don't like the rule...they think they're protecting their product but in all actuality they're taking the excitement out of it...what's more exciting than watching the teams back-up come in and produce better than the starter and then having that QB situation where one has to be traded

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read