Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cap Status Pre-Moulds = 11.6 Million under

So according to the estimate at HPF.com, we are about 11.6 million under the cap. I expect Moulds to count about $5-6 million towards the cap, and our rookies to count about 5-6 millino towards the cap, leaving us just barely underneath. I guess we're done with signings!!

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html
Old 03-30-2006   #2
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

June 1st cuts should free up even more room...
Old 03-30-2006   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
June 1st cuts should free up even more room...

i agree with you
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is in line for the cutting?
Old 03-30-2006   #5
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

wong might be cut
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #6
el toro
All Pro

Wade.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #7
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
wong might be cut

i dont think so, he was a big reson to our defensive melt down last season when he was out with his injury. he is a good LB and still fairly young.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2006   #8
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Walker already in line with that cap? Because he would free up about 4 million right?
Old 03-30-2006   #9
gtexan02
Working?

His cap savings was calculated, yes. But prorating it that way gives us $5.5 million in dead money for the 2007 season
Old 03-30-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
So according to the estimate at HPF.com, we are about 11.6 million under the cap. I expect Moulds to count about $5-6 million towards the cap, and our rookies to count about 5-6 millino towards the cap, leaving us just barely underneath. I guess we're done with signings!!

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html
Our #1 pick alone will likely cost $6 million against the cap this year, much less the rest of our guys too, so I think we'll have even less money than you're figuring.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #11
outofhnd
All Pro

Wiegart, Wade, Bruener, Morency, Maybe DD if someone offers a good deal. Deloach, Anderson (Id really like to keep him I liked him in his limited role) Murphy, thas all I can think of off the top of my head. Isnt DD in a contract year?
Old 03-30-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?

I don't know about that. Alex Smith's contract was record breaking 49 million dollar contract over 6 years with $24 million in guaranteed money, which should only leave about 4 million per year towards the cap and whatever the bonus number is (which would probably be less than $6 million total). He was a QB, and if we draft Bush, it will be much cheaper
Old 03-30-2006   #13
outofhnd
All Pro

the contract was 5 years because the collective bargaining agreement was not extended yet.

That was a driving force because if it was not extended after the capless year, in 2010 all the top prospects now would be free agents. 04 draft picks signed 6 year deals, 05 picks 5 year deals. and with no cap how crazy would that year be?
Old 03-30-2006   #14
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
Wiegart, Wade, Bruener, Morency, Maybe DD if someone offers a good deal. Deloach, Anderson (Id really like to keep him I liked him in his limited role) Murphy, thas all I can think of off the top of my head. Isnt DD in a contract year?

i thought D.D last year he signed a new 4 year contract. i dunno but i'm pretty sure it was 3 or 4 yrs.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
I don't know about that. Alex Smith's contract was record breaking 49 million dollar contract over 6 years with $24 million in guaranteed money, which should only leave about 4 million per year towards the cap and whatever the bonus number is (which would probably be less than $6 million total). He was a QB, and if we draft Bush, it will be much cheaper
$49 million - $24 million in guarantees = $25 million in base salaries over 5 years = an average of $5 million per year, which is almost surely backloaded so his base salary for this year probably only counted $2-2.5 million against the cap. However that $24 million bonus divided evenly over 5 seasons = $4.8 million a year that will count against their salary cap every season in addition to his base salary for that season, unless of course he is cut or traded, in which case that bonus will be accelerated onto that year's cap. This means his contract counted somewhere in the neighborhood of $7-7.5 million this year. Bush will likely be a little cheaper since he's a RB, but then again it's one year later and he's considered a better prospect so he could get the same amount of money, maybe even a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
Davis just completed the first year of his 4 year extension, so it would be very expensive to trade him for the next year or two.

Back to the original point, if Moulds is going to cost us $5-6 million against our cap then we shouldn't get him. I think the combination of he's old enough, not good enough anymore, and is only going to be our #2 WR means that he should not count more than $4 million against our cap.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #16
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Any news on E. Moulds?
Old 03-30-2006   #17
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:

Yes he was a QB, but Bush's agent is going to pull for that kind of contract;easily. Bush is the #1 pick, the BEST player coming out of college in a long time and can do so many things. He is a complete package as of right now. Everyone has talked him up so much that how can his agent justify to Bush that he is not worth that kind of money. This deal is going to be CRAZY!!!
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #18
outofhnd
All Pro

yea but 49mill over 5 years with about 24-25 mil guaranteed, thats more than thats more like 8 Mill a year. if he doesnt play its 5 mil a year thrown away,
Old 03-30-2006   #19
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
Yes he was a QB, but Bush's agent is going to pull for that kind of contract;easily. Bush is the #1 pick, the BEST player coming out of college in a long time and can do so many things. He is a complete package as of right now. Everyone has talked him up so much that how can his agent justify to Bush that he is not worth that kind of money. This deal is going to be CRAZY!!!
With all of the FA action is it now possible we will trade down to avoid the Bush pay day? I don't think we will, but just kind of wondering out loud.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Lets see. I assume Smiths' contract, if it was 25 million over 6 years, would be something like

1, 2, 2.5, 5, 6, 8 millino for each year
the 4 million would be prorated for each year, giving his number around $6 mil this year, $5 mil last year.

I best Bush would command a $20 millino bonus easily, prorated at $4 per year, then added to his salary which will probably be 1 or less than 1

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read