Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-29-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron: What does Carr need to get better? Success.

If it's been posted, lock it up!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3755397.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA. - At the AFC coaches' breakfast Tuesday morning, Gary Kubiak was bombarded with questions about the first pick in the draft.

Reggie Bush or Vince Young?

Kubiak was able to straddle the fence like a seasoned politician. He's getting so much practice he should be able to run for office.

Kubiak attended the University of Texas pro day and called Young's performance "super."

On Saturday, Kubiak will have dinner in Los Angeles with Bush before Southern California's pro day Sunday.

Kubiak will not attend another pro day.

Next week, Young will come to Reliant Stadium to meet with the Texans and put on a private workout for Kubiak and his staff. At some point, Bush will come to Houston and do the same thing.

Perhaps the best way to gain insight into what the Texans might do with the first pick in the draft — selecting Bush, it says here — is to see what Kubiak says about David Carr.

"Anybody can lead when they have success," Kubiak said. "When you start to be successful in this league, you gain confidence, and your teammates start to gravitate to you.

"In Denver, the expectations are high, and Jake Plummer came from Arizona and walked into a totally different environment. Our job as coaches was to help make him successful so his teammates could see him prosper. Our players saw him pay a price, and they started to gravitate to him.

"That's what we have to do with David. His work ethic's going to help him lead. Success will be the key to helping him lead."

Pressure is on

Carr has been meeting with Troy Calhoun, the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. When Kubiak returns from Los Angeles, he'll begin meeting with Carr almost every weekday.

"We've asked him to pay a special price this offseason, more than he's ever paid, and he's been willing to do that," Kubiak said. "We've put a lot on him, and he's doing everything we're asking. In talking to him, I don't have any doubts that it's inside of him.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself, to be honest with you. I've got to get the best out of him. He's got it, and we've got to find it."

Kubiak has watched every play of every game the past two seasons.

"Any time you're not having success, you can get into some bad habits," Kubiak said. "I saw him start to press in a lot of ways. That's common, and if you're a competitor you're going to do that because you're going to try to do more.

"We can't overload him, or the same thing's going to happen. As coaches, we naturally want to go fast teaching him our system, but we've got to slow down and make sure he's comfortable."

Sacks have to stop

One priority is to keep Carr from being the NFL's most sacked quarterback for the fourth time.

"If anything, he's going to take even more responsibility from that standpoint," Kubiak said. "We told him we want people to see you take that upon yourself.

"I want to play to his strengths. I see a quarterback whose athletic ability is his strength. He can present so many problems for the defense.

"We've got to allow him to move around. We want him to throw on the run. I want him to take off. I don't want him to stay in the pocket all the time. I don't want him to be afraid to run on third-and-five."

Kubiak doesn't think it's fair to ask if Carr is good enough to lead the Texans to a Super Bowl victory.

"The key to winning a Super Bowl is having a great team," said Kubiak, who has been to six Super Bowls and owns three rings. "You can't put the pressure of being a Super Bowl team on one player.

"I watched that take place with John Elway. He was one of the greatest ever, but we didn't win a Super Bowl until we got a good team around him. We're not going to put all that pressure on David. We've got to get good as a team and then go from there."

Actually, Elway didn't win a Super Bowl until he got a great running back, Terrell Davis, to help him.

"Well, uh, yes, one of those players might have been a great back," Kubiak said with a smile.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

sounds to me we are gonna keep carr, and d.d yeah we'll be trading down
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Isn't it great to read quotes from the coach and not hear the word "execute"?
TEXANS84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #4
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Isn't it great to read quotes from the coach and not hear the word "execute"?
haha yeah its a nice change of pace, and i have actaully seen kubiak have more than one facial expression WOW
Old 03-29-2006   #5
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
sounds to me we are gonna keep carr, and d.d yeah we'll be trading down
Hmmm... didn't get the impression that a trade down was coming.
Old 03-29-2006   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueToro
Hmmm... didn't get the impression that a trade down was coming.

well me either it was a lil sarcasim of what i want to happen.
Old 03-29-2006   #7
Caesar
Veteran

What Carr needs to attain that success is an offensive line. They better get started.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2006   #8
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I have a confession to make. This is Gary Kubiak. What I said in this morning's Chronic is the exact same thing I've been saying on this board for months. David's got his work cut out for him, but we all believe he's the guy for the job. He can make all the throws, he can be a leader on this team, and we're going to see to it that he does both. Football is about team, and people that try to act as it if it's all David's fault just don't "get it." I hope you'll still come to the games this year, we're going to have a good time winning. Besides, Bob's buying us all free chocolate cake and ice cream after we spank the Cowgirls.

Sincerely,

Gary Kubiak

P.S. We're not drafting Vince. Sorry.
Old 03-29-2006   #9
wrestler4life
Veteran

Let us hope that they try to add some lineman in the draft. I am certainly not sold on anyone we have other than Pitts.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #10
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
Let us hope that they try to add some lineman in the draft. I am certainly not sold on anyone we have other than Pitts.
I agree. I do not know who is going to play LT . I think Pitts should be at RT. I hope we beef up too on the OL.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #11
Dunta_23
All Pro

- Flanagan is a Pro-bowl centre
- McKinney was an above average guard before coming to Houston
- Pitts will be good at LT if he starts training camp there
- Wand showed promise at LT, so he should do well at RT
- RG, between Weigart, Weary and whoever else is available, this spot should be ok
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #12
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I have a confession to make. This is Gary Kubiak. What I said in this morning's Chronic is the exact same thing I've been saying on this board for months. David's got his work cut out for him, but we all believe he's the guy for the job. He can make all the throws, he can be a leader on this team, and we're going to see to it that he does both. Football is about team, and people that try to act as it if it's all David's fault just don't "get it." I hope you'll still come to the games this year, we're going to have a good time winning. Besides, Bob's buying us all free chocolate cake and ice cream after we spank the Cowgirls.

Sincerely,

Gary Kubiak

P.S. We're not drafting Vince. Sorry.
You're the man Gary, but this guy you're talking about Carr becoming;

"We've got to allow him to move around. We want him to throw on the run. I want him to take off. I don't want him to stay in the pocket all the time. I don't want him to be afraid to run on third-and-five."

Well that sure sounds like the guy you're not gonna draft.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

"If anything, he's going to take even more responsibility from that standpoint," Kubiak said. "We told him we want people to see you take that upon yourself."

This would be a refreshing change...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #14
bkimble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
If it's been posted, lock it up!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3755397.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA. - At the AFC coaches' breakfast Tuesday morning, Gary Kubiak was bombarded with questions about the first pick in the draft.

Reggie Bush or Vince Young?

Kubiak was able to straddle the fence like a seasoned politician. He's getting so much practice he should be able to run for office.

Kubiak attended the University of Texas pro day and called Young's performance "super."

On Saturday, Kubiak will have dinner in Los Angeles with Bush before Southern California's pro day Sunday.

Kubiak will not attend another pro day.

Next week, Young will come to Reliant Stadium to meet with the Texans and put on a private workout for Kubiak and his staff. At some point, Bush will come to Houston and do the same thing.

Perhaps the best way to gain insight into what the Texans might do with the first pick in the draft — selecting Bush, it says here — is to see what Kubiak says about David Carr.

"Anybody can lead when they have success," Kubiak said. "When you start to be successful in this league, you gain confidence, and your teammates start to gravitate to you.

"In Denver, the expectations are high, and Jake Plummer came from Arizona and walked into a totally different environment. Our job as coaches was to help make him successful so his teammates could see him prosper. Our players saw him pay a price, and they started to gravitate to him.

"That's what we have to do with David. His work ethic's going to help him lead. Success will be the key to helping him lead."

Pressure is on

Carr has been meeting with Troy Calhoun, the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. When Kubiak returns from Los Angeles, he'll begin meeting with Carr almost every weekday.

"We've asked him to pay a special price this offseason, more than he's ever paid, and he's been willing to do that," Kubiak said. "We've put a lot on him, and he's doing everything we're asking. In talking to him, I don't have any doubts that it's inside of him.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself, to be honest with you. I've got to get the best out of him. He's got it, and we've got to find it."

Kubiak has watched every play of every game the past two seasons.

"Any time you're not having success, you can get into some bad habits," Kubiak said. "I saw him start to press in a lot of ways. That's common, and if you're a competitor you're going to do that because you're going to try to do more.

"We can't overload him, or the same thing's going to happen. As coaches, we naturally want to go fast teaching him our system, but we've got to slow down and make sure he's comfortable."

Sacks have to stop

One priority is to keep Carr from being the NFL's most sacked quarterback for the fourth time.

"If anything, he's going to take even more responsibility from that standpoint," Kubiak said. "We told him we want people to see you take that upon yourself.

"I want to play to his strengths. I see a quarterback whose athletic ability is his strength. He can present so many problems for the defense.

Kubiak doesn't think it's fair to ask if Carr is good enough to lead the Texans to a Super Bowl victory.

"The key to winning a Super Bowl is having a great team," said Kubiak, who has been to six Super Bowls and owns three rings. "You can't put the pressure of being a Super Bowl team on one player.

"I watched that take place with John Elway. He was one of the greatest ever, but we didn't win a Super Bowl until we got a good team around him. We're not going to put all that pressure on David. We've got to get good as a team and then go from there."

Actually, Elway didn't win a Super Bowl until he got a great running back, Terrell Davis, to help him.

"Well, uh, yes, one of those players might have been a great back," Kubiak said with a smile.

Watching the Texans' games I have noticed three things:

1. David Carr holds onto the ball too long and doesn't know how to throw it away
2. Carr rarely throws the ball over the middle of the field

3. David Carr isn't a leader. He's a cry baby!

I just don't think he is a QB that can take you to the next level and I don't think adding Reggie Bush will do all that much for him. Besides our most consistent player on offense is Dominick Davis. Drafting RB is like the lions drafting 3 WR in a row when they had huge holes elsewhere. Its make no sence!
bkimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't forget to fluff his pillow, turn down his bed and place the chocolate juussst right.

If #8 isn't capable of fast tracking after 4 years in the NFL, especially after cashing over 20 million in checks, then maybe he isn't the right guy after all.

I can hear it already.... "give him time, he's learning a new system."

Remember what Big Daddy always said in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?"

Where is that 'devil on my shoulder' smilie anyway?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #16
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:

Well that sure sounds like the guy you're not gonna draft.
yeah it really is amazing how seemingly perfect vince fits the type of system we want to run, oh well the fate was decided i guess 4 years ago when carr was drafted #1.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #17
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

I really wish Vince would have stayed in one more year......
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #18
bkimble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfrancis
yeah it really is amazing how seemingly perfect vince fits the type of system we want to run, oh well the fate was decided i guess 4 years ago when carr was drafted #1.

Dude, Carr's own lineman hates him...many of his sacks were because he would run out of bounds a few yards shy of the line of scrimmage rather than throw the ball away, which of course counts as a sack, think about how much crap the Texans OL got from their buddy and think about how many of those sacks wouldn't have occurred if our great QB would have simply thrown the ball away. This guy is a joke.

Think about this, when the game on the line, the OL has to believe in their QB, respect their QB, the Texans OL does neither.

The word around the NFL is he will never, ever be successful (he doesn't even take his OL out to lunch, nor do they want him too). And dude has the rep for being lazy! Please draft VY...Good luck Texans.

Old 03-29-2006   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkimble
Dude, Carr's own lineman hates him...many of his sacks were because he would run out of bounds a few yards shy of the line of scrimmage rather than throw the ball away, which of course counts as a sack, think about how much crap the Texans OL got from their buddy and think about how many of those sacks wouldn't have occurred if our great QB would have simply thrown the ball away. This guy is a joke.

Think about this, when the game on the line, the OL has to believe in their QB, respect their QB, the Texans OL does neither.

The word around the NFL is he will never, ever be successful (he doesn't even take his OL out to lunch, nor do they want him too). And dude has the rep for being lazy! Please draft VY...Good luck Texans.

Please give me proof that says his own lineman don't like him. I'm pretty sure that would be public knowledge if it were true. It would be nice if you showed me where people around the NFL believe he's not going to succeed.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #20
bkimble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Please give me proof that says his own lineman don't like him. I'm pretty sure that would be public knowledge if it were true. It would be nice if you showed me where people around the NFL believe he's not going to succeed.

I am talking about players not GM's and coaches. Talk to some of the players and they'll tell you about anothers players rep.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read