Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-29-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Future of NFL?

Here's something interesting from the Falcons --

Quote:
Falcons coach Jim Mora on changes to the Atlanta offense in 2006: "What we've done this offseason is we've looked at Texas, West Virginia and Missouri and some of their shotgun run stuff and the way they use their quarterbacks in their system. Some of the stuff they do out of the shotgun is kind of like the old veer stuff with the quarterback making reads, putting the ball in the running back's stomach, reading the end and either dropping it off and pulling it out. We have a quarterback that's capable of that. It's great stuff. Working from under center, it's tough to see. In the shotgun, you can see it. We're trying to learn from anyone we can."
Means to me that the Titans will follow Mack Brown's brainstorm when they get Vince Young.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #2
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Um.......this is a Texans Message Board

So I dont really care about the falcons but thanks for your time.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #3
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Thank god ! Falcons are my other team & I think this is great. West Coast is not right for Vick. Much like Vince, stop trying to control him & just let him do what he can do. Now, if he only had anyone to throw to. Finneran & Roddy White.......Not going to get it done. We complain on here about not wanting Walter as out #2, but at least we do have a #1. Alge Crumpler gets more catches than those two do...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix Kube
This is the NFL section and the style of the offense is the subject.
This was originally placed in the Texans Forum not the NFL Forum.
Old 03-29-2006   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be interesting to see what they add to their playbooks.

I have always thought that the Falcons system didn't suit Vick at all.

If they do add a lot of Texas style shotgun-run stuff it will be interesting to find out if all those people who say that it can't work against NFL level defenders are right or not.

You never know it could become the next offensive revolution, like the West Coast offence was back in the day......
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

So now that a good spy defense has proven to be able to stop Vick, it will be interesting to see what his arm is all about. This separates the good from the great QBs at the end of the day, not running abilities.

It will be interesting to see how offenses scheme to use the shotgun. But I think there are reasons why the NFL hasn't had a pure shotgun offense in a long time.
Old 03-29-2006   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to remember Roger Staubach was in the shotgun offense alot and very successful at it. Of course that was eons ago; defensive guys are much bigger and faster now. I'd kind of like to see Vick in the shotgun. He's a fun guy to watch.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The zone offense would work well for Vick. He would have a bit more emphasis on the run than Young/Texas did. They might also be able to throw downfield a lot too, though, since Vick has such a cannon. The West Coast offense just doesn't seem to play to Vick's or the receivers' (fast but unreliable) strengths.
Old 03-29-2006   #9
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Yeah, the Falcon's offense, esspecaily their passing game, has really been inconsistent for a while. Obviously the running attack works, and works well, but while Vick is a special talent, he requires a special system, one that the Falcons are yet to provide.
Old 03-29-2006   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I seem to remember Roger Staubach was in the shotgun offense alot and very successful at it. Of course that was eons ago; defensive guys are much bigger and faster now. I'd kind of like to see Vick in the shotgun. He's a fun guy to watch.
The Cowboys always used the shotgun as a situational tool, not a base offense.

As an aside--heard an interesting unverified stat this morning. A caller on 610 am claimed (no independent verification disclaimer) no QB of a SB winning team had more than something like 326 yds of rushing during their SB winning season--Roger Staubach in 1973 I think. Just a tid bit.
Old 03-29-2006   #11
jgite
Rookie

It will be interesting to see if the zone read will be successful in the NFL. You would think with the proliferation of zone defenses that a formation that was designed to beat the zone wouldn't work. I know there are more factors involved, but it makes you think. I really hope it works so Vick can do what he does best and the team that picks Vince will have some guts to do it.

P.S. I still think VY is perfect for the Kubiak offense, oh well. I guy can dream.
jgite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #12
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

If being in the Shotgun suites your QB then that is what you should do. For several years Steve McNair was very sucessful as a one read then run QB. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Elway and Marino used the Shotgun allot as well. Again, it wasn't their base defense, but they used it quite a bit and was quite sucessful at it.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I don't think you're going to see them running this offense exclusively or even the majority of the time. But it'd benefit them to add it in here and there.

What I don't understand about the debate against the "simplified spread" offense in college is why it's so tough to defend? I mean if it's such a simplistic offense, it shouldn't be a problem for defensive coordinators to handle it...right?

But look at some of the top offenses around the country and check out what offense they're running.

And more teams are jumping on. Baylor has installed it and will be running it this year.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read