Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A little research on New WR Kevin Walter

This was written going into last season...

Link

Bengals: Depth At Receiver Means Tough Decisions Lay Ahead

In a Dayton Daily News article, Carlos Holmes writes for the first time in years, the Cincinnati Bengals head into training camp loaded with quality depth at the wide receiver position. A good thing, yes! However, it will be no easy task when it comes time to reduce their roster. This means some talented receivers could eventually hit the open market courtesy of the Bengals.

Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are the only two receivers guaranteed a spot, leaving veterans like Peter Warrick and Kelley Washington to fight for a place on the roster during training camp.

Although a number of receivers will be vying for a position, the one guy that may already have a leg up on the rest is Kevin Walter. The 6-foot-3, 218-pound receiver made it extremely difficult to be ignored with his performance during the team's recent minicamp.

Walter showed that he is steadily improving by being consistent and making plays. He was strong off the line, quick, ran good routes and demonstrated outstanding blocking skills. He also showed that he can stretch the field when he blew past CB Tory James and made a nice one-handed grab along the sideline before being pushed out of bounds. The sure-handed receiver was even more impressive during red zone drills when he put a move on CB Deltha O'Neal that left him caught like a deer in headlights, freeing Walter up to catch a touchdown pass in the back corner of the end zone.

To improve his game, Walter said over the off-season he worked on his flexibility and watched lots of film as well as studying teammate Chad Johnson in an effort to try and pick up some of his techniques to become a more well-rounded receiver.

Selected by the New York Giants in the seventh round of the 2003 draft, Walter was released by the team out of training camp and claimed off waivers by the Bengals. There are several NFL scouts who feel that the Giants may have given up too quickly on Walter, much like the organization did with Ed McCaffrey and Joe Jurevicius, who both went on to receive Super Bowl rings with other clubs.

The Bengals have been patiently waiting for Walter to develop, mainly because they love his upside. Some see him evolving into a possession-type receiver and a go-to-guy in clutch situations. Keep in mind that this kid was regarded as the premier receiver in the Mid-American Conference in 2002, so he's no slouch.

Smith's Take: WR Chad Johnson is a stud who could lead the NFL in receiving this season if Carson Palmer can continue to grow as a player. T.J. Houshmandzadeh has worked hard on his game and he is guaranteed a roster spot after his 978 yard performance of a year ago. After that it is anybody's guess who will make this squad and see some playing time. Peter Warrick was a great slot receiver but it is unknown at this point whether he will ever be 100% healthy again. He did catch 253 passes and scored 18 times in his first four full seasons so he is capable of putting up decent numbers. Kelley Washington is a talented kid who has scored seven times over the last two seasons in limited action. This Kevin Walter kid sounds like the real deal and he is almost certain to make the roster. However to further complicate matters; the article doesn't even mention rookie sensation Chris Henry whom the Bengals appear to love. If I had to wager a guess at this point, the top four would be: Johnson, Houshmandzadeh, Walter and Henry with Warrick and Washington battling it out for a roster spot. If either player gets cut loose, you can guarantee some other team will pick either up in a heartbeat.

Selected by the New York Giants in the seventh round of the 2003 draft, Walter was released by the team out of training camp and claimed off waivers by the Bengals. There are several NFL scouts who feel that the Giants may have given up too quickly on Walter, much like the organization did with Ed McCaffrey and Joe Jurevicius, who both went on to receive Super Bowl rings with other clubs.

Man, let us hope so.

Awesome read. We may have gotten a real steal for Walter. With a new coaching staff and the WR positions still up in the air, Walter has a real good shot at showcasing his talents here in Houston. I'm looking forward to seeing him contributing next year.

If Walter was looking for a good opportunity to play, he's come to the right place. I think he will be decent for us, but nothing special.

I beleive if we dont sign a #2 receiver out of the FA or dont get moulds, then kevin walter will prove that he can hang as a #2 receiver and will be a big impact on our offense. The guy in my eyes is good/great and will soon be great. I like him alot and beleive he will really show himself this year. He will also be a great addition to our special teams.

I live here in Cincinnati and I watched him play. He catches the ball with his hands and not his body. Once the ball hits his hands it's like it has super glue on it. He was the main target for John Ketna when Carlson Palmer get hurt in their last game against Pittsburg in the playoffs. I believe he caught 8 passes after he replaced Chris Henry when Henry got hurt the same time Carlson did. Chad and TJ were coverd all day and this guy caught every thing that was thrown his way. You will like this guy alot, he works harder than any one on that team.

so basically he's a WR with the mindset of a TE. Got it. good guys to have on a roster. They aren't me guys.

How's this for "a little research?" Kevin Walter: Cincinnati, three years, 30 catches, one TD. Nuff said, the #s don't lie.

why don't you post the stats for chad johnson and tj houshmandzedah the last couple of years bobo. not everybody can catch 80 balls a year. give the guy a break.

Bobo said:
How's this for "a little research?" Kevin Walter: Cincinnati, three years, 30 catches, one TD. Nuff said, the #s don't lie.

A young WR isnt going to get many balls behind 2 solid WR's like CJ and TJ...Look at players like Warner and Delhomme...never made a roster until they went to Super Bowls...

Dunta_23 said:
A young WR isnt going to get many balls behind 2 solid WR's like CJ and TJ...Look at players like Warner and Delhomme...never made a roster until they went to Super Bowls...
He's a troll, he hasn't made a positive post since he's been here, pay no attention to him.

just check out his post history

I know there are an awful lot of negative people around but I was just trying to prove a point to him, thanks though

I remember reading the same type of stuff in the Chronicle about Gaffney and Bradford while they were here. I have more trust in Kubiak than I do in Capers though, and hopefully this guy turns out to be a steal.

I have been real exited about this pick. Maybe my friend "steeler fan" is busting my bubble but did the deal go through? He said that it fell through? I hope not.:challenge

Bobo said:

Isn't BOBO Michael Jackson's Monkey?

Hmmmm

If you look at Moulds' first couple year stats... NOT much more impressive than Walter, and at least Walter had obstacles... Chad Johnson, TJ, Etc.

Do you even know much about the game of football oustide the Texans...

Bearfan Blue and Orange said:

Hmmmm

If you look at Moulds' first couple year stats... NOT much more impressive than Walter, and at least Walter had obstacles... Chad Johnson, TJ, Etc.

Good logic. This guy is going to have a productive season because he hasn't done anything in his first three years. I guess it would be an even rosier picture if the guy had just 10 catches and O TDs. :brickwall

Carr Bomb said:
He's a troll, he hasn't made a positive post since he's been here, pay no attention to him.

just check out his post history

Let's be honest and realistic. There's not much positive to post about following a 2-14 season -- to be honest. And to try to find a silver lining by touting a guy who has made just 30 catches and one TD in three years is plain fantasy. Heck, I haven't made a NFL catch in my life so, according to the logic I'm hearing around hear, I should have an even better year than Walter! Hmmm ... should I try out for the Texans as a WR or apply as a coach since I haven't had any experience in that capacity as well? Decisions, decisions.

If that means you'll stop trying to play daddy for everyone, telling us what to and not to find silver lining in....well then yeah....go for it. Also, i'm not a real big stickler for spelling or punctuation.....this is just a internet forum....but lets at least try and use the correct usage of words in our posts
I'm hearing around hear
and not repeat points
Let's be honest and realistic. There's not much positive to post about following a 2-14 season -- to be honest.
....especially when your trying to start an argument with a whole board.

Bobo said:
Let's be honest and realistic. There's not much positive to post about following a 2-14 season -- to be honest. And to try to find a silver lining by touting a guy who has made just 30 catches and one TD in three years is plain fantasy. Heck, I haven't made a NFL catch in my life so, according to the logic I'm hearing around hear, I should have an even better year than Walter! Hmmm ... should I try out for the Texans as a WR or apply as a coach since I haven't had any experience in that capacity as well? Decisions, decisions.

I've probably drank less of the optimism kool-aid then anybody on this board, but if your going to pull stats, pull all of them. How many times was he targeted? How many catchable balls did he miss or drop? Its not about finding a silver lining, its about refusing to judge somebody i'm willing to bet you've never watched play a down in your life. I havent seen him yet, when i do i'll have an opinion. Until then, what do you really know?

Bobo said:

Given Walter's role in the offense, how many of those 30 catches were for 1st downs? That is the real question for me. If Walter was the number 1 or 2 WR then I would be worried. Like the old saying goes "figures lie and liars figure". I am not calling anyone a liar, but stats are decieving. I would suggest using the stats in the context that they are intended to compliment.

rittenhouserobz said:
Given Walter's role in the offense, how many of those 30 catches were for 1st downs? That is the real question for me. If Walter was the number 1 or 2 WR then I would be worried. Like the old saying goes "figures lie and liars figure". I am not calling anyone a liar, but stats are decieving. I would suggest using the stats in the context that they are intended to compliment.

I have been there as a Bear fan so many years... remember Dave Wandstadt (however you spell it) and DICK Juron. The only good coach we have had since DA COACH is Lovie and I believe the jury is still out on him.

I know what it is to be cautious, but to be nieve about your team and the players that are coming onto it is just careless. 95% of the fans here talk FOOTBALL like they know what they are talking about and see the writing on the wall.

If you cannot see that the changes made so far are HUGE improvements over the past 5 years, you better take off your blinders and take a look around, or maybe you are just the type of person that likes to bring everyone else around you down so you can justify how bad you are feeling over the years. If you cannot be happy, noone can???

Don't just be a Texan fan, be a FOOTBALL fan!!!

NeViKaN said:
I have been real exited about this pick. Maybe my friend "steeler fan" is busting my bubble but did the deal go through? He said that it fell through? I hope not.:challenge

Does anyone know?

TexanFan881 said:
If Walter was looking for a good opportunity to play, he's come to the right place. I think he will be decent for us, but nothing special.

I think he could be one of those guys that is a fan favorite and makes some occasional big/significant plays, but his overall stats will not be that impressive. Joe Jurevicius or Ricky Proehl come to mind when I think of the role he could play.

I think that he'll definitely become the Texans version of Jurivicious. D's probably won't mind him any attention, and he'll be open. Hopefully it will work out that way. *praying happy face*

Hmmmm

ok I really have to ask now, are you of any relation to Kevin Walter?

brother, father, son, husband, sister, whatever?

stevo3883 said:
ok I really have to ask now, are you of any relation to Kevin Walter?

brother, father, son, husband, sister, whatever?

no relation at all... I work in Illinois where he went to high school and followed his career through college and into the pros. Hometown hero so to speak.

Makes football a little more interesting when you know of the person.

No just trying to get educated before judging. It is a legit question if the Texans are using him as a possession WR. and he is compared to Ed McCaffrey and Joe Jerivicious

You might want to compare him to Armstrong. You see, the Texans already have a "possession" receiver and a pretty darned good one who has outproduced Walter. So why the heck did the Texans pick this guy up anyway? :spy:

Bobo said:
You might want to compare him to Armstrong. You see, the Texans already have a "possession" receiver and a pretty darned good one who has outproduced Walter. So why the heck did the Texans pick this guy up anyway? :spy:

Probably because he played exceedingly well in a playoff game and has proved he can play under those conditions. Probably because he runs routes very well. While I like Armstrong, he has done none of the above.

Bobo said:

and who would that be???

Bobo said:

BOBO, your stock is going down. Your opinions at first were for good reasons, but now your logic is not making any sense, because regardless of who says anything, your have negative comments. You would be better to cancel your name BOBO, and start with another identity. The only thing is you must re-compute your brain. (only an opinion, trying to help you)

Back