Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Offensive Line..... Do we Draft for Depth, or Starters??
We're still in desperate need for OL Starters... 42 57.53%
Our Starters are fine, we should look for grooming material 31 42.47%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2006   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default More Offensive Linemen...Do we Draft for Depth, or Starters??

On Paper, We've penciled in our Starters....... Pitts @ LT, McKinney @ LG, Flanagan @ Center, Weary @ Right Gaurd, Wiegart/Wade @ Right Tackle.

Do you think we're done, or do you think we should add more talent to the OLine?? Should we be drafting for Depth, or Starters on the Line??
Old 03-28-2006   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak & Co probably have a couple of tackles they think very highly of but
for obvious reasons are keeping mum about, but might use their #2 if still on
the Board. Of course they have other needs for that #2, including a CB and a
WR (if the Moulds deal does not materialize).
I'd be surprised if they don't use one of their third rounders on a guard or tackle, depending on wheter they take a OL with the #2, along with another
OL pick on Sunday. Afterall, Hodgdon is the only OL they drafted in the last
2 years, and he was a mere 5th rounder.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

"....desperate need for starters" is a little too strong for me, but I do think "a need" exists. Not sure if it's worse than our need at some of those other positions though.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only position you could say we need a new starter at is the RT. Now do we need to draft one or is he on the roster already, thats a good question. My thinking is if Joe Pendry didnt like Seth Wand and felt he wasnt a good OL, then Wand should start this year. I have no faith in the old staffs evaluation skills and wouldnt mind letting Wand have a chance at the RT spot. But no harm comes from drafting a solid tackle for depth.
Old 03-28-2006   #5
el toro
All Pro

Winston at #33 feels like the logical choice for RT. I think Wade is gone.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

winston @33/colledge @66, joseph @65 and id be very happy and confident about our o-line
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #7
el toro
All Pro

Hopefully they can land Moulds, then they can draft exclusively for the Oline and secondary with the 2nd and 3rd round picks.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2006   #8
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Guards available in link below. Tackles are few and far between.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=9...83&rc=16&pid=6
coachdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Winston going to be available at 33? I mean what are the chances exactly?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think the signing of Flanagan will go a long way in improving the play of our OLine. I would love to see a starting line with Pitts at LT, McKinney at LG, Flannagan at C, Weigart at RG, and Wand at RT. I think that would be our best lineup, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Weary at RG & Weigart at RT. I think Wand can really excell under Sherman if given a chance.

I think one of our goals for this draft is to find some young OLinemen who can provide depth as well as be groomed to take the places of the veterans when the time comes. My guess is that the earliest we take an OLineman is in the 3rd, but that might change if Winston falls into the second. I'd say it's more likely that we don't take an OLineman on the first day of the draft.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Time is the crime right now. We can get a few seasons out of Flanigan and Wade/Weigert, but I suspect the Texans will look toward a Tackle to groom if one is available in the second or third rounds.
Old 03-28-2006   #12
Mailman04
Veteran

Not all, but most projections have Winston still there at 33.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Not trying to change this into a college draft discussion, but I think Winston would be an excellent addition to the line. It would be in his best interests, too, because he is recovering from a knee injury. The extra time to heal would help him out, and I think we are good in the tackles area for this year.
Old 03-28-2006   #14
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

We still need 1 more to step in and take our weakest OLmen spot
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #15
SA Fan
Rookie

More Linemen!

....And the More Offensive, THE BETTER!!
Better Than Bucs
SA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #16
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

I wish both was a choice. If we can land a starter (say Winston or Mangold) great, plus look to add better depth late day one and on day two .
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
I wish both was a choice. If we can land a starter (say Winston or Mangold) great, plus look to add better depth late day one and on day two .
I agree.

Winston/Mangold at #33

and then on Sunday look for guys like Chris Chester, Mark Settersom, Chris Cuapa from ND State.
Old 03-28-2006   #18
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Why is it that signing Flanagan and having Kubiak magically fixes our O Line? I wont suggest anything that makes the board cringe and want smite me, but Wade, Wiegert, and McKinney are still . . . Wade, Wigert, and McKinney no matter how you put it. We need some STARTING O Linemen!!
Old 03-28-2006   #19
Wild.Bill
Rookie

I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't be surprised if Kubiak and the gang didn't have their eyes on J. Scott as a Right Tackle with one of our 3rd round picks if he's still on the board. He seems to be the kind of 'Athlete' that they would look for in the zone blocking scheme. He really moves well, even though he needs to work on his strength and agressiveness. He has good feet and is a good athlete that could be a very effective RT in a zone blocking system.
Wild.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #20
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
winston @33/colledge @66, joseph @65 and id be very happy and confident about our o-line
Any two of these players would make for a helluva haul.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read