Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2006   #1
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Default Texan's Roster

OK, so this is just some random fact that i thought was pretty interesting. as of now, we have 70+ players listed on our teams roster. Plus we still might make a few more free agency moves, and we have the draft. By the time camps roll around we could very well have 85 players on our roster. Looking at the Roster currently on the main website, there are quite a few solid players that could be shown the door in a few months. I think this is the first time that we have actually looked like our roster had some deep talent to it. This is going to be tough this year i think on Kubes to go and make cuts. Yeah there are the obvious no names that will probably be shown the door almost immediatly, but the last few final cuts we might be actually letting go of some semi talented players. I am just happy to see that we finally have enough depth to know that when we are releasing players, its because we have to much talent already on the team
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #2
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers said the same thing last year on the last round of cuts.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #3
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
read my mind.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #4
mapleleaf
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
OK, so this is just some random fact that i thought was pretty interesting. as of now, we have 70+ players listed on our teams roster. Plus we still might make a few more free agency moves, and we have the draft. By the time camps roll around we could very well have 85 players on our roster. Looking at the Roster currently on the main website, there are quite a few solid players that could be shown the door in a few months. I think this is the first time that we have actually looked like our roster had some deep talent to it. This is going to be tough this year i think on Kubes to go and make cuts. Yeah there are the obvious no names that will probably be shown the door almost immediatly, but the last few final cuts we might be actually letting go of some semi talented players. I am just happy to see that we finally have enough depth to know that when we are releasing players, its because we have to much talent already on the team
Rosters pretty much tells you nothing about a teams ability, I mean the Knicks have well good names but they're a horrible team in the NBA.
Old 03-27-2006   #5
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
But I am way more intelligent than Capers, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf
Rosters pretty much tells you nothing about a teams ability, I mean the Knicks have well good names but they're a horrible team in the NBA.
thats totally different. you look at the Knicks roster and you see a lot of cast offs from other teams. a lot of overrated players and a lot of players that never lived up to the hype they were given. And "Starbury", which is a joke by the way, he hasn't been good since he was with the Timberwolves, and Kevin Garnett made him better. The Texans roster is full of potential, and Kubiak is the coach that can tap into it. What I should have said is that there is a lot of players with potential on this roster that will end up back on the free agent market
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #6
mapleleaf
Veteran

Well I hope Kubiak can lead this team, but nonetheless rosters are just as the equalivent as to a books cover.
Old 03-28-2006   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

There are always going to be controversial cuts. I remember one year we cut Sloan Thomas, and a bunch of people wondered about that. We cut Reggie Swinton, and that ruffled other feathers.
Old 03-28-2006   #8
B.Diddy
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

Im still wondering why we cut reggie swinton he could of helped us last year
Old 03-28-2006   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the sloan thomas cut still gets me because if you tell everyone the players who play the best will make the team then why did thomas not make the team since he had the best receiving numbers out of the bunch...armstrong made the team and he didn't even take a pre-season snap...personally i still think thomas has more potential than armstrong...i think capers really screwed up this team with his inability to put together an offense...i don't mind conservative offenses when they work...our offense last year was simply this...stretch right...stretch left...drop back carr scramble...and the opposing team cheers play (any pass play)
Old 03-28-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I kind of got my feathers ruffled.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ton#post224931

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...mas#post158603

Last edited by HJam72; 03-28-2006 at 10:46 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think this proves my point. No Parthian shot needed!

Last edited by Texans Horror; 03-28-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #12
|The.Brand0n|
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Im still wondering why we cut reggie swinton he could of helped us last year
Ehh... even though we had a Pro Bowl KR...
Old 03-28-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

be ready for some surprising cuts. New coaching staffs will evaluate the talent differently than the previous staff. That is how we ended up getting Marlon McRee before. Too bad we didnt hold onto him.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Sloan Thomas cut ticked me off cause we kept Bradford.

Not only did we keep Bradford but we started him!!!! Last year's head-scratchers all exposed the coaching staff to be out of touch with the team and the game:

Buchanan
Bradford
Victor Riley
Glenn- release
Pitts at G
McKinney staying at C
Wand forgotten about
Peek benched for bogus late hits

It's going to be a lot of fun to see how things develop during the preseason. This staff will have an entirely different perspective of the talent on this team. My bet is that there will be a number of 3 and 4 year players that we've ripped on these boards or forgotten about who have excellent seasons... My prediction is that Wand, Peek, Babin, McKinney, Ramon Walker, and Greenwood will be some of them.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #15
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Last year's head-scratchers all exposed the coaching staff to be out of touch with the team and the game:

Peek benched for bogus late hits
Ok , I like Peek and his motor ALOT... but let's call it what it is... Peek did have quite a few legit late hits that really cost us...

Unfortunately, he's building a reputation as a late hit guy, and so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on borderline calls. But seriously, dude gets takes some steps after the play and unloads. I like it, but it is costly.

I HOPE PEEK IS ONE OF THE 3 OR 4 PLAYERS THAT HAVE A HUGE YEAR.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
Ok , I like Peek and his motor ALOT... but let's call it what it is... Peek did have quite a few legit late hits that really cost us...
Really, how many? As I recall there were 4 called on Peek last year and 2 of them were BS. Capers jumped him in that game and then came back later and stated they were BS. Robaire had at least 3 last year--not sure why he gets a free pass.
Old 03-28-2006   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Really, how many? As I recall there were 4 called on Peek last year and 2 of them were BS. Capers jumped him in that game and then came back later and stated they were BS. Robaire had at least 3 last year--not sure why he gets a free pass.

Peek played with so much more energy and passion than the rest of the defense that he stood out. More than anything other than chance, I think that's the reason why he had those penalties called on him. I said this before last season and willl state it again: I think Peek has Charles Haley type potential. In the right environment, I think he can really create havoc for the offense. However, he can't be tied down to a read-first system. He needs to be given freedom- In today's NFL that probably means he'll platoon with someone and play situationally.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #18
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

I'll be honest, I don't remember how many penalties every Texan had, but I remember those that he had, perhaps because I pull for him a lot to succeed. But obviously, if he got BS calls, then someone else notices the same thing as well.

I'd like to see Peek utilized in a role that he can focus on. I fewar that if he gets used part time, that he doesn't develop as much and never achieves what a lot of us here think he can.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read