Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2006   #1
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Default Texan fan from NZ

Hi Guys,

I am very new to the wonderful world of Football / NFL. I started following the Texans last year and the Texas Longhorns. Must admit, so far I have enjoyed college football more than the professional league.

I am planning on playing at the end of year in New Zealandís domestic league.
(http://eteamz.active.com/nz-american-football/)
Canít wait to start playing!
Although I have no idea what position I would play yet

I just have a few questions to help clarify my understanding of the game. The main thing I have trouble with is a lot of the positions to me seem to be the same. For example centre back and safety, what makes a good centre back and what makes a good safety?

What makes a good guard and what makes a good OT? Am I right in saying the left tackle is the most important in the offensive line if the quarterback is right handed because it covers his weak side?

Also, is the weak side the blind side of the quarter back? So when I see someone stated as a weak side linebacker they are talking about right hand side linebacker if the quarterback is right handed? So what makes a good weak side linebacker and a good strong side linebacker?

Sorry for all the questions guys Ė but Iím dead keen to get up to speed before the next season of the NFL kicks off.

Go Texans!
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee

I just have a few questions to help clarify my understanding of the game. The main thing I have trouble with is a lot of the positions to me seem to be the same. For example centre back and safety, what makes a good centre back and what makes a good safety?
I think you meant corner back, not center back. A good cornerback is usually the fastest man on the defensive side of the ball. He has to be able to cover a wide reciever and also shed blocks to help in run support. Most cornerbacks are better at covering than tackling, one that is good at both is very valuable for teams.

A team fields two safties most of the time. A Free Saftey and a Strong Saftey. The Strong Saftey lines up on the strong side of the field (the side with the tight end). The Strong Saftey's role is to be the last line of defense in run support and in passing situations he's either in man to man coverage when a linebacker is blitzing or in a deep zone to protect against the long downfield pass. The Free Saftey's job is similar but is usually in a deep zone rather than man to man. Both of the Saftey possitions need to be fast but they're usually not as fast as cornerbacks. They also each need to be able to tackle in the open field very well. Usually when the Saftey misses a tackle a touchdown is about to be scored.

Quote:
What makes a good guard and what makes a good OT? Am I right in saying the left tackle is the most important in the offensive line if the quarterback is right handed because it covers his weak side?
The offensive line plays as a whole and each team asks different things from each spot on the line. Typically the Left Tackle protects the QB's blind side and usually is facing the best pass rusher. He needs to have good footwork as well as being strong in runblocking. Usually the Left Tackle doesnt have help when blocking his man. In running situations, the TightEnd typically lines up on the right side, giving help to the Right Tackle.

Guards are usually faster than tackles. Guards tend to pull on running plays, leading the way for the Runningback. Guards can get away with not being great in pass protection because they can get help but they have to be great run blockers.

Quote:
Also, is the weak side the blind side of the quarter back? So when I see someone stated as a weak side linebacker they are talking about right hand side linebacker if the quarterback is right handed? So what makes a good weak side linebacker and a good strong side linebacker?
The strong side is refering to the side of the line that the tightend is lined up on. Strong Side LB plays the side of the field that the Tight End is on and vice versa for the Weak Side LB. What hand the QB throws with doesnt matter when talking about the strong or weak side of the field.

A Strong Side LB is usually faster than the defensive linemen and slower than the corners and safties. Smaller than the line and bigger than the safties. Linebackers have to be great in run defense and tackling and are usually the first people to the football. A Strong Side backer is a run stuffer. He has to be willing to put his helmet right between a lead blockers number, taking out the first blocker and hopefully being able to shed the blocker and make the tackle.

The Weak Side backer is usually faster and tends to rush the passer more frequently than any other LB spot. The Middle Linebacker is basically the QB of the defense. He calls the plays in the huddle and usually makes the Defense Adjustment calls when on the field. He needs to be a hard nosed player, great athlete, smart and willing to do what it takes to stop both the run and the over the middle passes.

I really hope this made sence... I didnt realize how much of this game i take for granted. Trying to explain the nuances was pretty tough.
Old 03-27-2006   #3
mapleleaf
Veteran

Wow, maybe we should have a franchise in New Zealand in the next decade or two.

Well football is basically the favorite sport of America and well we're the worst, but we'll get there.
Old 03-27-2006   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey JayCee, as you can tell from the handle I am from NZ too.

With you on board I now know 3 people in NZ who are Texans fans.

Go the Texans!!
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #5
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Cheers for the info HardKnockTexan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
The Strong Saftey lines up on the strong side of the field (the side with the tight end). The Strong Saftey's role is to be the last line of defense in run support
So the running back usually runs towards the strong side?
Old 03-27-2006   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On most teams, yea. The usual team has a righty qb so the left side of the line are usually pass blockers to protect the blindside. The right side of the line has the mean run-blocking guys.

At least, thats how I understand it.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #7
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Cheers for the info HardKnockTexan!

due to the extra blocker on the strong side teams do tend to run that way more often than not. Ofcourse football is a game of adjustments and strategy. Teams do run to the weakside aswell but the strongside does give you one extra blocker but also gives you one extra guy that needs to be blocked.
Old 03-27-2006   #8
JayCee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan

Go the Texans!!
Small world!
I see that youíre based in Auckland as well.

Bummer that the Texans donít get much coverage on Sky / ESPN. I think i only saw 1 game advertised on SKY last year that was a Texans game.
Will be investing in a DVD recorder this year so i can actually watch a whole game rather than just the end when i get home from work.
Old 03-27-2006   #9
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Small world!
I see that you’re based in Auckland as well.

Bummer that the Texans don’t get much coverage on Sky / ESPN. I think i only saw 1 game advertised on SKY last year that was a Texans game.
Will be investing in a DVD recorder this year so i can actually watch a whole game rather than just the end when i get home from work.

There has been a grand total of two Texans games on since they came into the league. Their very first game vs. the Cowboys, and last year vs. the Seahawks.

I would advise if you want to see if a bit of a the Texans that you record the pre-game show too... or sportscentre...
Old 03-27-2006   #10
mapleleaf
Veteran

I wonder who televises the football games in new zealand.
Old 03-27-2006   #11
JayCee
Veteran

we get ESPN 24/7 through SKY - which is a subscriber satellite service.
Old 03-27-2006   #12
Texandiver
Veteran

Quote:

Go the Texans!!
Well I'm a Texan, but I visited NZ during the diasterous America's Cup 2003 campagin. since no American sailing syndicate was left I was rooting for the Kiwis so can I be consider an honorary Kiwi?
Texandiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #13
GanadoUHCoog
Rookie

Default question to New Zealanders

I am considering studying abroad in New Zealand for a semester. Would you recommend it and why? Thanks.
GanadoUHCoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #14
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texandiver
Well I'm a Texan, but I visited NZ during the diasterous America's Cup 2003 campagin. since no American sailing syndicate was left I was rooting for the Kiwis so can I be consider an honorary Kiwi?
Hey why not, NZ is the proverbial melting pot, the more the merrier
Old 03-27-2006   #15
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanadoUHCoog
I am considering studying abroad in New Zealand for a semester. Would you recommend it and why? Thanks.
Depends what you wanted, and what you were studying.

NZ is a pretty friendly place, and there wouldn't be too huge a culture shock.. (although you might think that you are in America of 5 years ago)
Every american that I have known that has come here has loved it.
Old 03-27-2006   #16
Texandiver
Veteran

Quote:
Depends what you wanted, and what you were studying.

NZ is a pretty friendly place, and there wouldn't be too huge a culture shock.. (although you might think that you are in America of 5 years ago)
Every american that I have known that has come here has loved it.
Yes all of the above is true!

Last edited by Texandiver; 03-27-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2006   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This may sound dorky, but if you want to learn about the game, buy and play Madden 2004, 2005, or 2006. They have detailed player descriptions including positions and how each stat affects that positions overall ability (Ie a faster cornerback gets a large bonus to his rating, whereas a fast OT doesnt receive as much). It will help you with formations, plays, etc. It sounds dorky, but it really can teach you a lot about football
Old 03-27-2006   #18
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Jaycee, If you ever make it down to Texas you can find me in section 115 or in the yellow parking lot I'll have a cold lonestar or shiner bock waiting for you and I'll even buy you a cowboy hat.

Good to have you on board!

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #19
Texandiver
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan
Jaycee, If you ever make it down to Texas you can find me in section 115 or in the yellow parking lot I'll have a cold lonestar or shiner bock waiting for you and I'll even buy you a cowboy hat.

Good to have you on board!
A great host might also try to find some Kiwi brew just in case....
Old 03-28-2006   #20
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Quote:
Must admit, so far I have enjoyed college football more than the professional league.
You know what...for the first time in about 10 years I enjoyed college more then professional football in 2005. The USC/Notre Dame game was an alltime classic, one of the best games that I have ever seen. And the Orange bowl was truely exciting, I even called a friend after not talking to him in 3 years down in Tomball Texas (just outside of Houston) just to congradulate him. He's a big Texas fan.

This year in pro football was kind of a shoulder shrugger. There were some pretty good stories like the Saints beating Carolina right after Hurricane Katrina wiped the city out, the Giants making the playoffs after their owner passed away, and of course Jerome Bettis winning a Superbowl ring. And you take take anything away from those moments but for the most part it was uneventful for the Texans. It was just a very long season. We're all hoping that it will be better in 2006. All of these free agents signings have to have a positive impact.

Quote:
Although I have no idea what position I would play yet
Well first how are you built? Are you a bruiser 6'5 270lbs.? or are you 5'9 and 185lbs.? Because that's a very important factor to consider when trying to find a position. Playing out of position does your team no benefit.

Do you have strong hands? How good are you at catching a football? Throwing? How fast are you? These are all good questions to ask yourself.

Also, what gets you more excited? Offense or defense?

Quote:
The main thing I have trouble with is a lot of the positions to me seem to be the same. For example centre back and safety, what makes a good centre back and what makes a good safety?
I saw one person go into the difference between a strong safety and a corner back. And that was good to clarify. What I think that you may have also been talking about was a Free Safety. Because there is a significant difference between the two positions. The Free Safety (C.C. Brown on the Texans) is like the quarterback of the defense. He calls all the defensive signals for the defense. A typical Free Safety is smart and alert in pass coverages. His counterpart - The Strong Safety (Glen Earl on the Texans) is typically a little more stocky and stronger and able to not only provide pass support but also cheat up to the line and help with run support on short yardage distances like 3rd and 1 or 2nd and 2.

Quote:
So what makes a good weak side linebacker and a good strong side linebacker?
Great question. Linebackers do their best to get to the football. And they help each other in this effort. You'll often times find that linebackers on a team become the best of friends because of the teamwork that is required to play the position. It's also one of the most physically demanding positions on the field. If the play ends up coming back to the weak side of the field it is the weak side linebackers job to ensure that he get's up field quickly and takes the ball carrier down as far behind the line of scrimmage as possible. That means he has to be aggressive and fast and has to react instantly to the ball carriers every move. If on the other hand, the flow of the play continues to the strong side, then the weakside backer had better attack his blocker to the outside with the opposite arm that the play is moving in. That way you are able to reach out with your free arm and get a hold of the runner as he comes charging through. So that means get low, keep your head up, and use your center of gravity to your advantage. Then explode into your blocker with everything that you have. Hopefully you'll knock him back into the runner, jam up the play, and you or your teammates collectively take him down. Watch the line backing core from Pittsburgh. Look how they use their shoulders to penetrate the line of scrimmage. They are excellent at attacking the run.

I hope that that has answered some of your questions...

I am definately going to New Zealand. We're going to terrorize the female population and get sauced from local inebriants.

Last edited by DominatorDavis; 03-28-2006 at 12:41 AM.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read