Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2006   #1
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA
Default Defensive Difference Maker?

Let's see...

The year is 2005 - we have a:

A Safety switched out of position.
A corner switched to safety.
A 4-3 DT switched to a 3-4 DE
A college 4-3 DT switched to a 3-4 DE.
A backer switched to another position (Wong)
A backer switched to another position (Greenwood)
An end switched to another position (Peek)
An end switched to another position (Babin)

I understand that moves have to be made in order to play the 3-4 but I think switching guys back to their natural position may be our biggest defensive acquisition yet...and the fact that we're getting rid of Fangio's Quantum dynamic schemes. I really think that we have no idea what we have on defense yet....

Oh well, just an observation on our switch back to the 4-3.
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

and some thought we'd make the playoffs with that D....
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still sad we didn't get Jim Bates as our DC. But anyone has to be an upgrade over Vic Fangio.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense in 2004 wasnt too shabby. I was actually pretty excited about it.. since we seemed to be fairly good at stuffing the run, which forced teams to pass... and with the way we ran our 3-4, passing the ball on us was dangerous. We ended up with like 22 interceptions that year.

But Fangio's defense overall is total crap. He was the coach I was most happy to be rid of.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #5
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

this defense is WEAK. not to be NEGATIVE or anything like that, but i like what weve done on offense, but our d still bites. we have NO pass rush, our safties are below average, our linebackers are weak. pbuc might have a better year, but its going to be the same weak d as last year.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #6
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
I dont think so, I really do believe we are 5X better against the run. That should vastly improve our 2ndary.
Are you taking that from last year's team or the potential of this years?
Old 03-28-2006   #7
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

5X better against the run?????weaver and??
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2006   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4-3
Cowert
Kalu
Kubiak
Sherman
No Fanggio
No 3-4

hell thats 7 reasons.... I was conservative when I said 5
4-3, and no 3-4 constitutes one thing imo. you're down to six
Old 03-28-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Drama. We had too many players out of position. Wong never wanted to play on the inside anyway and now we know why. He can do it, but not very well. He's much better outside. That's one example, but I really think we will be better off not drafting players to play something they weren't really meant for. The O-line had those problems too and the most obvious example is not using McKinney at center. He sucks at center. He was our best center for a long time and that says a lot about the sad state of the O-line for years.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4-3
Cowert
Kalu
Kubiak
Sherman
No Fanggio
No 3-4

hell thats 7 reasons.... I was conservative when I said 5
yes having sherman as our o-line coach does help us stop the run????
Kalu/Babin....big difference??? meh
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our main problem was we drafted 1 legit starter (D-Rob) in the last 4 years. We pick up project players and tweeners and that doesnt cut it. You can get away with one project player in spot situations bt if the core of your D, int his case LB's in the 3-4, are half project players youve lost befor you played. Just my
Old 03-28-2006   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

One legit starter in 4 years?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have neglected the defense immensely. It may very well be by design, but on paper you do not make the second worst defense in the league better by adding Weaver, Pierce, Moreno, Pettway, bringing in a new staff, changing the system and releasing arguably your biggest impact player in Walker.

Hopefully we will address this gap in the draft.
Old 03-28-2006   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
One legit starter in 4 years?
I just dont see any one who stands out and screams "I am a starter". C.C Brown and Glenn Earl have the potential and Babin and Peek could be good down the road, but when you look back and see the draft track record our D has seriously been neglected and we havnt drafted legit starters.
Old 03-28-2006   #15
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
I just dont see any one who stands out and screams "I am a starter". C.C Brown and Glenn Earl have the potential and Babin and Peek could be good down the road, but when you look back and see the draft track record our D has seriously been neglected and we havnt drafted legit starters.
I believe he is talking about D. Robinson.
Old 03-28-2006   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1
I believe he is talking about D. Robinson.
Yeah thats the only legit starter we drafted in the first four years.
Old 03-28-2006   #17
B.Diddy
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

I think in the right system with the right coaches we have future pro bowlers
in D. Rob, Travis , and Peek im still lookin for more out of babin but those three i see alot of fire in them
Old 03-28-2006   #18
Johnny Utah
All Pro

It's imposible for the Texans to address all of their needs this offseason. I'm fine with building a dominate offense then trying to build on the defense over the next few seasons.

We may suck on defense next year, but at least we should be able to score some points.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #19
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I'm still sad we didn't get Jim Bates as our DC. But anyone has to be an upgrade over Vic Fangio.
A monkey could eat the defensive playbook, partially digest and dump it out, and draw on the wall with the leftovers and we'd be running better plays than what Fangio called.

And I still would love to see our FO do the ballsy thing and draft this year's #1 defensive difference maker, Mario Williams, with the #1. Though I must admit, even I am convinced that Reggie could be a great RB/SWR threat for our O ...
Old 03-28-2006   #20
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
A monkey could eat the defensive playbook, partially digest and dump it out, and draw on the wall with the leftovers and we'd be running better plays than what Fangio called....
Ok, I almost choked on my drink!!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read