Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I am very happy with the offseason so far

How would you rate the activity so far?

I am in Austin so I don't hear the feedback from the fans and watch the local news. But so far Kub is getting the players and we are making the moves to be a contender....I am looking forward to the season...

I give the team 4 out of 5 stars for the moves...

One more month until Reggie Bush!!

Well, we didn't pick up every big-name player between here and Draft Day, but I think we are doing a good job of filling positions with solid, veteran players. We don't exactly need pro-bowl cailber players to upgrade at all our spots. I would still like to see a new face in the defensive secondary. Like last year, I think being able to stop the pass is going to be key to stopping the AFC South offenses, so trying someone new there would probably solidify our D.

Am I the only one who feels we are correcting all the moves we made during last year's offseason (e.g., replacing veteran leadership on D, adding a lineman, etc.)?

Mycco

Noob
During the iniatial weeks of free agency I was begging to doubt the GM's willingness to build a winner considering all of the veterans he has let go the past 2 years, I have to say the last 4 aquisitions have (Putzier, Flannigan, Cowart, and Kalu) are very solid pick ups and could lay a foundation on which to build. Let's see what happens w/ Moulds. My only hope is that we don't let them go after 2 years or so. We finally addressed some of our major needs w/ veterans who can add leadership to our young team. Casserly is slowly gaining my respect as a good GM based on the last 4 moves. Overall though I'd have to give the offseason about 5 out of 10, simply because we overspent on Weaver and Rosenfels.

Mike Kerns

LYSB Podcast
At first, I wasn't feeling very good about it. I saw my other team (The Falcons) making all these moves to get better & I said "I wish the Texans could be more aggressive like this." I am feeling a little better now though. It has me wondering how much of this is Kubiak & how little is Casserly ?

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Mycco said:
During the iniatial weeks of free agency I was begging to doubt the GM's willingness to build a winner considering all of the veterans he has let go the past 2 years, I have to say the last 4 aquisitions have (Putzier, Flannigan, Cowart, and Kalu) are very solid pick ups and could lay a foundation on which to build. Let's see what happens w/ Moulds. My only hope is that we don't let them go after 2 years or so. We finally addressed some of our major needs w/ veterans who can add leadership to our young team. Casserly is slowly gaining my respect as a good GM based on the last 4 moves. Overall though I'd have to give the offseason about 5 out of 10, simply because we overspent on Weaver and Rosenfels.
Its funny, but the releasing and picking players is a team operation with the Texans. Casserly is not working in a vacuum. He has always worked closely with his head coaches and got or released players based on the coaching staff. Casserly does not walk in and say - "Hey coach I got you a new player, nor does he say Hey coach I just fired the guy you liked what are you going to do about it? McNair has said it, Kubiak has said it, and even John McClain has said it. Casserly works with his coaches and scouts to get the players the coaches want. He is the person who does the job of getting the player once one is targeted by the coaching staff.

titan hater

Waterboy
Ibar_Harry said:
Its funny, but the releasing and picking players is a team operation with the Texans. Casserly is not working in a vacuum. He has always worked closely with his head coaches and got or released players based on the coaching staff. Casserly does not walk in and say - "Hey coach I got you a new player, nor does he say Hey coach I just fired the guy you liked what are you going to do about it? McNair has said it, Kubiak has said it, and even John McClain has said it. Casserly works with his coaches and scouts to get the players the coaches want. He is the person who does the job of getting the player once one is targeted by the coaching staff.
John McClain always has something to say!! ...Reggie...Reggie...Reggie....er....Vince....Vince....Vince....

The guy just throws stuff at the wall and hopes that it sticks...I wish he would move to Nashville. He might as well, he is always there anyway...

Mycco

Noob
Ibar_Harry said:

I understand the perameters of his job, and I agree to a certain extent. I'm basing this on his track record thus far. I doubt the previous regime told him "Hey get rid of Aaron Glenn and Jamie Shaper go and replace them w/ Morlon Greenwood and Phillip "toasty" Buchanon." Those 2 guys were the heart and soul of the defense, and key contributers to the few wins we had in our inagural season and the 7-9 season of '04, and as you can see they both can still pay dividends w/ their new clubs. Why would you replace Sharper, the guy who led the NFL in tackles the previous year w/ another guy who barely played in Miami? Then he released almost all of the other veterans we had left, although I will concede they were cap casulties. And judging on how much money he threw at a career 2nd string QB and a sub-par pass rusher in the opening weeks of free agency, then you can understand why I questioned his motives. We could have easily gave that money to any of the other more polished free agents on the market. The last 4 players we aquired are makeing things look brighter, but I still rate it 5 out of 10 for the offseason. It's almost like the stock market..you have to strike while the iron is hot. i.e. T.O. going to Dallas. (they snatched him up the following 2 days after he was released, you better believe they will be in the playoffs next year) but I still believe in the draft we will make some good picks, that this new regime can mold.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
The moves are so excellent. They are playing good off the field so then they can play good on the field. Seems alot of emphasis is to improve the offense well I just read and confirmed my feelings with this on todays' Houstontexans.com news that tells me that the defense is mostly being taken care of through free agents and existing players leaving even more selective energy acquiring offense as it states, "The Texans now have signed nine free agents, and re-signed another eight players, this off-season counting Monday’s transactions. Four of the nine free agents signed from other teams play on the defensive side of the ball, and seven of the eight players to re-sign also play on defense."

el toro

Rookie
TexanBorn51 said:
The moves are so excellent. They are playing good off the field so then they can play good on the field. Seems alot of emphasis is to improve the offense well I just read and confirmed my feelings with this on todays' Houstontexans.com news that tells me that the defense is mostly being taken care of through free agents and existing players leaving even more selective energy acquiring offense as it states, "The Texans now have signed nine free agents, and re-signed another eight players, this off-season counting Monday’s transactions. Four of the nine free agents signed from other teams play on the defensive side of the ball, and seven of the eight players to re-sign also play on defense."

They can still use the draft to find a prospect or two for the secondary. If you view this as a multi-year turnaround process, then next offseason they can devote some resources to the defense.

Caesar

Waterboy
Do the Texans plan on picking up any NFL caliber offensive linemen at some point this off season? We only have two at the moment, and even they aren't exactly star quality.

This off season can't be considered a success if they ignore the worst o-line in football history, yet again