Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-27-2006   #1
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default Its funny (Young's Wonderlic score & 40 time excuses)

I found it hilarious that the same people who say that VY's wunderlich test and 40 times mean nothing. Yet if he had posted amazing numbers that would be all we hear.

I'm also tired of him calling the scores disrespectful, if it is disrespectful its only to him. I hate people hiding behind terms of racisms and respect to cover their own shortcomings.

VY needs to grow up and be a man and accept that he had a poor combine and workout. He still has the potential to be an Awesome QB, but he needs to grow up, there was nothing disrespectful about the wunderlich test. the next thing is there will be a racial bias.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #2
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I'm too tired to argue about this anymore. Lets go to the next topic already.

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Not to argue...... but did he have a poor combine?? I'm hearing mixed reports. The speed thing, I never thought anybody said he was fast though. Fast for his size, and an elusive runner.
Old 03-27-2006   #4
AJExplosion80
Rookie

Default Young Young Young????

Yeah he had a slow 40 time I mean at least Vick ran like a 4.2 Who knows it will be something we will have to wait and see:brickwall
AJExplosion80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #5
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I had a thought. A lot of people are saying that Vince is ALREADY a better prospect than Michael Vick. Yet Vick was faster & has a more powerful arm. So, I was wondering, If Vick had single-handedly defeated Florida State in the Sugar Bowl the last year at V-Tech, like Vince did to USC, would he of been rated higher than he was ? I know he was a #1 overall, I just don't see how Vince is really a "Better Prospect." I know you can tell that I am a Draft Reggie camper & that isn't what this is about. I am just curious, because I think that Vick was a much more attractive prospect, aside from not actually winning the NCAA Championship. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. Just my opinion.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #6
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags
I had a thought. A lot of people are saying that Vince is ALREADY a better prospect than Michael Vick. Yet Vick was faster & has a more powerful arm. So, I was wondering, If Vick had single-handedly defeated Florida State in the Sugar Bowl the last year at V-Tech, like Vince did to USC, would he of been rated higher than he was ? I know he was a #1 overall, I just don't see how Vince is really a "Better Prospect." I know you can tell that I am a Draft Reggie camper & that isn't what this is about. I am just curious, because I think that Vick was a much more attractive prospect, aside from not actually winning the NCAA Championship. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. Just my opinion.

I dunno I don't think Vick has done really anything since the GB playoff win. Nolan still might make him closer into a pocket QB but he'd likely turn out ala Cunningham. Which isn't bad i liked Randall a lot...he's oneo fthe reasons i became an Eagles fan. That and J Jones is an ***.

That aside i had hooped as a UT fan Vince would opt to stay another year but i understood the decision to strike while the iron is hot. I really thought another year would've helped him develop more. Vince in taller in stature and while he doesn't have the pure speed Vick has he has the same elusiveness. His throwing mmotion will need some work a higher realse point would make scouts more a comfortable. I think Vince will succeed but it'll take a coach who knows what he's got and how to work with him. See Donovan McNabb( who i more think Vince should be compared to instead of Vick)
Please_Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #7
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve
I dunno I don't think Vick has done really anything since the GB playoff win. Nolan still might make him closer into a pocket QB but he'd likely turn out ala Cunningham. Which isn't bad i liked Randall a lot...he's oneo fthe reasons i became an Eagles fan. That and J Jones is an ***.

That aside i had hooped as a UT fan Vince would opt to stay another year but i understood the decision to strike while the iron is hot. I really thought another year would've helped him develop more. Vince in taller in stature and while he doesn't have the pure speed Vick has he has the same elusiveness. His throwing mmotion will need some work a higher realse point would make scouts more a comfortable. I think Vince will succeed but it'll take a coach who knows what he's got and how to work with him. See Donovan McNabb( who i more think Vince should be compared to instead of Vick)
Do you do research? Do you even hear yourself? Do you not remember the Vick-led falcons in the NFC championship game? I seem to recall them destroying the rams with a playoff record rushing total.hasnt done anything huh?

Point 2. His throwing motion. Phillip Rivers had the most bootleg throwing motion i have ever seen and he still got drafted #4 overall

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Vince's running stats in college puts him in Vicks class as a mobile QB. His passing stats put him in a class way above Vicks, then & now.
Old 03-27-2006   #9
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
wunderlich .
wonderlic......good job jacquescas
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

young had a poor pro day. i don't really care about the wonderlic, but the fact that he was unprepared for his pro day, after MONTHS of time to prepare, says a lot
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #11
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
young had a poor pro day. i don't really care about the wonderlic, but the fact that he was unprepared for his pro day, after MONTHS of time to prepare, says a lot
Where did you hear that he had a bad pro day? Everything I have read said the he was in the above average to exceptional range...
Old 03-27-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Not to argue...... but did he have a poor combine?? I'm hearing mixed reports. The speed thing, I never thought anybody said he was fast though. Fast for his size, and an elusive runner.
Don't want to nitpick but Vince didn't do anything at the Combine other than botch up his Wonderlich test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Where did you hear that he had a bad pro day? Everything I have read said the he was in the above average to exceptional range...
There have been mixed reports on how his pro day and private workouts went but I guess none of us will really know on those and will tend to view his workouts as a success/failure depending on our opinion of him. I'm sure there are the same discrepancies on Vince's talent among NFL personnel, but all it takes is one team to like him and want to draft him.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #13
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

While he didn't has a good pro day, he is probably saving it for when he works out for teams.

Also, Hulk no offense, but the first part of your post has to have some of the worst grammer I have ever read.
Old 03-27-2006   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

While he didn't has a good pro day, he is probably saving it for when he works out for teams.
Old 03-27-2006   #15
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 33 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67

Also, Hulk no offense, but the first part of your post has to have some of the worst grammer I have ever read.
Hello pot, meet Mr. Kettle.
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJExplosion80
Yeah he had a slow 40 time I mean at least Vick ran like a 4.2 Who knows it will be something we will have to wait and see:brickwall
40 times are overrated. There is more to football than running a straight line for 40 yards. ya know, like running with your blocks, evading defenders, that kind of nonsense.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #17
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
Bad Pro Day? He completed 49 of 54 passes with one drop. Ran the 40 in 4.56. Most everyone left very impressed with his arm strength and accuracy. Had a great pro day.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #18
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
I had a thought. A lot of people are saying that Vince is ALREADY a better prospect than Michael Vick. Yet Vick was faster & has a more powerful arm...I just don't see how Vince is really a "Better Prospect."...
Michael Vick (2000)
87-161 (54%) 1234 yards 8TD's 6 INT's
104 carries for 617 yards (5.9 avg) 8 TD's

Vince Young (2005)
212-325 (65.2%) 3,036 yards 26 TD's 10 INT's
155 carries for 1050 yards (6.8 avg) 12 TD's

So, in their final years Vince threw for more than twice as many yards and more than 3 times as many TD's (with a higher percentage.) He also averaged almost a yard more per carry. By the way, Vince is the size of a linebacker so injuries don't have to be such a concern. I'd call him a better prospect.
Old 03-28-2006   #19
HoustonianStuckinCali
Rookie

Default The real reason why Young is Criticized

First of all a QB's job at a pro day is to throw the ball effectively not post a fast 40 time. I think I can trust Sean's Salisbury an ex. QB instead of some unnamed scouts Chris Mortensen talks about (Who consequently is pulling for Jay Cutler). 49 out of 54 for passes in my book is getting it done. I really don't understand the comparison between Young and Vick. They're games are not even similar the only thing they have in common is a shared ethnic background and the fact that they are both great runners. Next Young's Forty time, have you ever seem him run, does he look fast like Vick, (no) but he's elusive and he runs very fluidly, making him a dual threat. He prepared himself which is obvious did you even see clips of him dropping back and hitting receivers before they came out of brakes (I know I did). I have never seen any draft prospect with as much scrutiny as Young. And don't give me the b.s (well he did it to himself). How? This Young man who had one of the best season's not just game's of any college Quarterback in history . (Remember Oklahoma State anyone). He also gives a great deal of his time off the field to community service he was one of eleven players named to the 2005 American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team for commitment to community service off the field. He's a leader, he has tremendous pose under pressure and he will in time be the greatest QB to ever play the game. People attack this guy because he will single handily change the game forever with his success which could have a detrimental economic impact on the game i.e. (The wavering fan base of the present day NBA) If you understand the demographics of America and understand which demographic is the quote on quote paying public and the importance of the Quarterback position in will all become clear. No longer will the All- American drop back passer (Code Word) be able to excel in the league. The league will have to have a QB with precession passing as well as athleticism (Code Word). That's why he draws so much scrutiny plane and simple. Wake up people these so called scouts are telling you not to believe your own eyes. I may not be a scout (part of the good old boy network) But I can tell you I have never seen anyone with the athletic talent, and all the intangibles that Young has. The only reason you knock him is because deep down inside you hate Young for playing the way he does and looking how he looks. I hate to be so blunt but someone had to say it. I know this post may cause some criticism but if you've heard of Occam's Razor the simplest explanation usually is the correct one. It just stands to reason the most scrutinized Quarterbacks in the league McNabb, Vick, Brooks, Cullpeper all seem to share one thing in common and it's not the fact they were all in the NFC at one time.
HoustonianStuckinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Welcome HSC.

Good 1st post.

The guys will say "Paragraphs Plz" but all in all a good post. You can expect some kick-back on this.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read