Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2006   #1
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.
Default 610's interview this morning with John McClain

Today's weekly report from McClain. McClain said the Eric Mould talks are going well. The problem isn't with the Texans giving up a 4th Rounder, the problem is Moulds wanting number one money when he isn't a number one anymore. If he can come back to reality, the Texans will have him signed and in his opinion, the deal will get done. N.D. Kalu will be a solid backup for Weaver. On passing downs, expect him to come in as left end, Weaver to slide over DT with either Payne or Johnson in, and Peek/Babin on the Right End position. If for some reason, the Moulds signing doesn't happen, don't expect for them to go after Javon Walker. He's coming off major Knee Surgery and wants number one money as well and that simply isn't going to happen. The Texans are setting themselves up the take the best player available after selecting Bush, rather than selecting on needs. If they don't negotiate a trade for Moulds, expect for the Texans to select one of the top 3 receivers in the second round if one of them slips. Projects show that the S. Moss or D. Hagan would be there for that pick. Also note, Moulds will not receive a contract like Issac Bruce. 3 years 15 million is too much for him and he wants to go to Philly, but they are offering less that what the Texans would offer. After the Texans first couple of pics, expect them to either go in two routes. Focusing in this draft solely on the offensive side of the ball, but selecting a DE and or LB, addressing any additional defensive needs in next year's draft or selecting the best player available and just leaving it at that. Expect the Texans to address Corner if possible in Free agency. Andre Dyson is available as well as several other corners. Last, McClain also mentioned that V. Young isn't a lock at go to the Titans at number 3. He is if it's between him and Cutler, but not if all 3 are available.
Old 03-27-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
Today's weekly report from McClain. McClain said the Eric Mould talks are going well. The problem isn't with the Texans giving up a 4th Rounder, the problem is Moulds wanting number one money when he isn't a number one anymore. If he can come back to reality, the Texans will have him signed and in his opinion, the deal will get done. N.D. Kalu will be a solid backup for Weaver. On passing downs, expect him to come in as left end, Weaver to slide over DT with either Payne or Johnson in, and Peek/Babin on the Right End position. If for some reason, the Moulds signing doesn't happen, don't expect for them to go after Javon Walker. He's coming off major Knee Surgery and wants number one money as well and that simply isn't going to happen. The Texans are setting themselves up the take the best player available after selecting Bush, rather than selecting on needs. If they don't negotiate a trade for Moulds, expect for the Texans to select one of the top 3 receivers in the second round if one of them slips. Projects show that the S. Moss or D. Hagan would be there for that pick. Also note, Moulds will not receive a contract like Issac Bruce. 3 years 15 million is too much for him and he wants to go to Philly, but they are offering less that what the Texans would offer. After the Texans first couple of pics, expect them to either go in two routes. Focusing in this draft solely on the offensive side of the ball, but selecting a DE and or LB, addressing any additional defensive needs in next year's draft or selecting the best player available and just leaving it at that. Expect the Texans to address Corner if possible in Free agency. Andre Dyson is available as well as several other corners. Last, McClain also mentioned that V. Young isn't a lock at go to the Titans at number 3. He is if it's between him and Cutler, but not if all 3 are available.
We are a doomed team if they execute on McClain's take of bolstering the offensive in the first two rounds of the draft.
Old 03-27-2006   #3
Sportsfan
All Pro

Cheers for that summary. I only caught a few minutes of it.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #4
kingh99

I can't listen to John McClain.

He's the antithesis of the pregnant pause.

More like a barren rambler.
Old 03-27-2006   #5
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
I can't listen to John McClain.

He's the antithesis of the pregnant pause.

More like a barren rambler.
I agree for the most part, but at least he has finally dropped the brokeback love for Vince.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Ahh, McClain is just a Reggie Homer....... Reggie Hung the Moon.... Reggie this, Reggie that......... he's got a freaking man crush on Reggie Bush.....

BPA........... I like that approach. For now. If McKinney get's hurt, and he slides Pitts over to guard, I will come out of my seat and strangle him though.
Old 03-27-2006   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'd rather we wait until 2007 to draft a DE (1st or 2nd) and get our offense taken care of with at least 3 of our first 4 selections this year.
Old 03-27-2006   #8
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I'd rather we wait until 2007 to draft a DE (1st or 2nd) and get our offense taken care of with at least 3 of our first 4 selections this year.
yes! bring in some older experienced players to shore up the defense. draft offense because it takes longer for them to gel. then next year get some defensive talent.

somehow this sounds all to familiar?
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #9
Trenches
Veteran

OR, spend 80% of your cap dollars on offense and watch you team go 5-11 as the 'great offense' gets stopped by a great defense (see Indy playoffs last x years) and your defense giving up 20+ points a game.

Offense is sexy but defense is where the championships are won.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches
OR, spend 80% of your cap dollars on offense and watch you team go 5-11 as the 'great offense' gets stopped by a great defense (see Indy playoffs last x years) and your defense giving up 20+ points a game.

Agreed.

Segue into my vote for Mario Williams
Old 03-27-2006   #11
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
The Texans are setting themselves up the take the best player available after selecting Bush, rather than selecting on needs.
What John, we are not taking Vince Young??

That's it, I am now officially a Cowboys fan. Are T.O. jerseys available on ebay yet?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches

I don't know about all that. Every thing we've done so far shows a strong commitment to stopping the run...... if we can make teams one dimensional, we can have a very good year.
Old 03-27-2006   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

last year he said the Texans wanted Troy Williamson remember? so at least he is consistant........

here is my take even though he (John) did not make mention of it and that is the Texans are repeating what they did to build this franchise the very first year of expansion, they are adding experienced stop gap veterens to return to competitivness with the exception this time they don't hamper the cap structure past the next two to three years and the Texans can build through the draft by taking the bpa.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #14
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
What John, we are not taking Vince Young??

That's it, I am now officially a Cowboys fan. Are T.O. jerseys available on ebay yet?
If you go and listen to John at the Chronicle web site you will find that's exactly what he said.....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #15
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I don't know about all that. Every thing we've done so far shows a strong commitment to stopping the run...... if we can make teams one dimensional, we can have a very good year.

Yep. Then add a ball controlling, point producing offense to that scenario. Not bad.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #16
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the way kubiak has changed this franchise is good...we are now being quietly aggressive in FA picking up player after player that is making this team overall better...we already added two starters on offense (flanagan and putzier) and one of defense (weaver) with the potential of more after trainging camp (cook and walter)...with the possibility of getting either moulds or javon in through a trade for the number 2 receiver spot...funny how espn hasn't been mentioning any of this...going into the draft with the ability to draft simply the BPA is the best way to go...unlike with capers where we were trying to draft our needs...adding veteran leadership is always a good thing and now i'm hopeing that we might just have the people in place to do what the san diego chargers did in 2004...shock a bunch of people and win around 9 games
Old 03-27-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
they are adding experienced stop gap veterens to return to competitivness with the exception this time they don't hamper the cap structure past the next two to three years and the Texans can build through the draft by taking the bpa.
[font="Century Gothic"]
I don't know if I'm reading too much into this. But you appear to not be happy with the some of the signings we've made. STop Gap, I think is an ugly word. R You saying we should have signed only big name FA, and fill every other spot with Rookies?? that would be interesting for sure.

Defensively, I think Weaver is too young to consider him Stop Gap. I think he's going to be a Texan for a long time to come. Cowart...... he looks like starter material at a position we need.... at the very least, he'll be a back up in years to come, and I thin also will be a Texan for quite some time.
Old 03-27-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

To me Flanagan, Cowart, and Moulds - if we get him - are stop gap (stop the bleeding) types to me. But stopping the bleeding is not a bad thing. You can't reasonably expect any of them to contribute more than 1-2 seasons. If they do... bonus.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
We are a doomed team if they execute on McClain's take of bolstering the offensive in the first two rounds of the draft.

i agree if its reggie and a wr in the 1st 2 rounds but if we take winston or some1 @33, id be happy
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the direction of the offseason, and would be okay with the first couple picks being on offense.

BUT, it would be really nice to pick up a quality corner, safety, or LB with the third pick, BPA at one of those positions. Or take a safety or corner with the second pick, and use the third for WR.

Who knows what Kubes has planned, he still may trade that pesky #1 pick and address both sides of the ball.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read