Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2006   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default N.D. Kalu

Just saw this this Morning.

N.D. Kalu

Seems like we are interested in Eric Moulds........ & we signed another D.E. over the weekend................ I don't think Kubiak sleeps.........

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Texans are expected to sign another free agent today. Philadelphia defensive end N.D. Kalu agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract during the weekend.

The former star at Rice is a 10-year veteran who spent the past five seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Kalu, 6-3 and 265 pounds, played in 15 games last season, including eight starts. He had 30 tackles and two sacks.

Kalu follows defensive end Anthony Weaver, fullback Jameel Cook, quarterback Sage Rosenfels, tight end Jeb Putzier, center Mike Flanagan, middle linebacker Sam Cowart and receiver Kevin Walter as free-agent additions.
Old 03-27-2006   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Kalu at that price is pretty much a bargain and not guaranteed to make it through training camp, but this Eric Moulds non-sense is just terrible. I mean essentially we give him a two year contract that lets us cut him when he turns 34. The guy is good, but old, and beginning to have those nagging injuries and slower recovery times. I dont like the idea of signing him, but Kalu is a whatever type of pick up.
Old 03-27-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Kalu at that price is pretty much a bargain and not guaranteed to make it through training camp, but this Eric Moulds non-sense is just terrible. I mean essentially we give him a two year contract that lets us cut him when he turns 34. The guy is good, but old, and beginning to have those nagging injuries and slower recovery times. I dont like the idea of signing him, but Kalu is a whatever type of pick up.
Agreed.
Old 03-27-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just surprised that we were even looking at another DE, I thought we'd sit tight, till the draft. To me, this just shows Kubes/Casserly, are burning the midnight oil..........

I like it.
Old 03-27-2006   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
WRs, particularly good ones are showing to be effective players well into thier mid-30s. Rod Smith, Jimmy smith and McCardell serve as examples of guys who are 3 or 4 years older than Moulds. Moulds had 80 catches last year with a sorry QB situation. A couple of years out of Moulds will give the Texans a chance to develop Walters, mathis or some other young WR.

My concerns would be the money and draft pick involved.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #6
Mailman04
Veteran

Look at Moulds' production and tell me he won't help the Texans. He would be a great pickup.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm reading the tea leaves, (1) We re-signed Carr, so we're not drafting Vince Young, (2) I think we're not drafting 'Brick...we went out and got a solid center and will probably rely on our current roster of linemen, (3) We signed two defensive linemen and retained everyone but Walker...so I don't think we're drafting Mario Williams, (4) We picked up a run stuffing middle linebacker in Cowart, so I don't think we're drafting AJ Hawk, and (5) We signed a FB to couple with Norris. Wells is hungry for more money or a chance with another team, Hollings was cut, Domanick Davis is injury-prone, and Morency is still raw. Kubiak likes a strong trio of RBs in the Denver system.

My conclusion is that we are drafting Reggie Bush as the moves we made signal to me (at least in my opinion) that we are patchingother positions with free agents and it would not make sense to log jam other positions by drafting an extra LB, DL, OLs and/or QB with our top pick.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2006   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
If I'm reading the tea leaves, (1) We re-signed Carr, so we're not drafting Vince Young, (2) I think we're not drafting 'Brick...we went out and got a solid center and will probably rely on our current roster of linemen, (3) We signed two defensive linemen and retained everyone but Walker...so I don't think we're drafting Mario Williams, (4) We picked up a run stuffing middle linebacker in Cowart, so I don't think we're drafting AJ Hawk, and (5) We signed a FB to couple with Norris. Wells is hungry for more money or a chance with another team, Hollings was cut, Domanick Davis is injury-prone, and Morency is still raw. Kubiak likes a strong trio of RBs in the Denver system.

My conclusion is that we are drafting Reggie Bush as the moves we made signal to me (at least in my opinion) that we are patchingother positions with free agents and it would not make sense to log jam other positions by drafting an extra LB, DL, OLs and/or QB with our top pick.
I think you are reading too much into the signing of these guys. Kalu, cowart, etc are just placeholders and would not preclude the Texans from drafting any of those positions at any point in the draft. These positions go from a desparate to those which need upgrading.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #9
MikeMc
All Pro

I agree with AT. These are experienced players that will help with the transition to the 4-3 D. Peek & Babin will be the DEs of the future.

Cowart is in the same boat....filling a need now. I would not doubt they draft at least one or two LBs to add depth (future starters) to the roster.

OL will probably also be addressed, but maybe in the 2nd rd.....I think Bush will be the pick. I do not like it, but I think that is the way the stars have aligned with the Texans FA pickups as well has the other NFL teams FA adds.
Old 03-27-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
If you're just talking about our #1 overall, I agree. that's what it looks like. These other positions are no longer in need of a 1st day pick IMHO, except I'd still like to get at least one OL with our 2nd/3rd pick.
Old 03-27-2006   #11
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Look at Moulds' production and tell me he won't help the Texans. He would be a great pickup.
I agree simply for the fact that it will give Andre Johnson more single coverage chances. Hope this deal gets done myself.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #12
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I live in reality, and your right on. We will take Bush is that so bad, a guy that can take it to the "hizouse" everytime he touches the Football.

Indeed. Bush will fit the offense. If you didn't have a coaching staff that could utilize him then I might think differently about taking Bush at #1. But they have the track record and they've made the moves this season to make the most of his talent. That justifies his selection, IMO.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #13
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

the guys on the eagles mb dont seem to think to highly of him.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #14
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
the guys on the eagles mb dont seem to think to highly of him.
Plummer wasn't thought of very well either and Denver made a difference. Philly has been somewhat in disarry the last couple of years despite their record. Sometimes one man's garbage is another man's treasure. Who knows, but our people feel he will be a good addition so we shall see.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Plummer wasn't thought of very well either and Denver made a difference. Philly has been somewhat in disarry the last couple of years despite their record. Sometimes one man's garbage is another man's treasure. Who knows, but our people feel he will be a good addition so we shall see.
Awful comparision. Plummer was six years in and history has shown that QB's get better with age. Kalu is a DE entering his tenth year. I am sorry to bridle my enthusiasm for an unspectacular DE over the course of his career who could wind up being a quality back up.
Old 03-27-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry

I seriously doubt there are many fans who wish Jake was their QB.
Old 03-27-2006   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

ESPN take on Kalu...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2385814
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #18
el toro
All Pro

It looks like the team is focusing on stopping the run, first and foremost. If your D can prevent teams from putting together sustained drives and running the clock while your offense can...put together sustained drives and run the clock, then you're setting yourself up to control the time of posession and force the opposing offense to force their passing game to beat you. I think this is a solid first step heading into next year.

You do still have the draft to work on your secondary and, of course, next year's free agency and draft.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #19
The Preacher
Veteran

Hopefully he can return to his old form after a year back on his feet. It took Edgerrin a year N.D. could be a solid value pickup that Philly gave up on. I guess he became expendable with the Howard pickup. Kubes is making the transition to the 4-3 seem effortless. The best part about this is it will push Babin and Peek even further.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #20
whiskeyrbl

I think the signing of another DE is telling Babin/Peek,they better work their collective ***** off . Maybe they are getting vets in here to teach these guys what it takes to win. Cowart,Kalu,Flannigan are at the ends of their careers,yet it gives us an upgrade at positions that we really need and allows us to compete while our draft picks get groomed IMO. I may be wrong but I hope I am right.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read