Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006   #61
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor
 
texanfan2002114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On the front row in the endzone!!!
Age: 37
Posts: 1,097
Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

The Texans have a great chance in picking up a #2 receiver and I can't believe how many people on here are complaining about it. When it was rumored that I. Bruce had interest people loved the idea of bringing him in, but now hatethe idea of bring in an older receiver. There was a poll on this site that asked for peoples top 3 receivers if they had their choice and Bruce was in a lot of peoples top three. I just don't understand whats the difference.

I for one would love for Moulds to be the Texans #2 and would think that AJ would love as well!! GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!!

Bruce #'s last year - 36 rec 525yards 3td 14.6 yards per catch 33 turn 34 in November

Moulds #'s last year - 81 rec 816 yards 4 td 10.1 yards per catch 32 turn 33 in July

Last edited by texanfan2002114; 03-27-2006 at 10:12 AM.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #62
el toro
All Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 509
Rep Power: 9 el toro is ridin' the pine
Default

You are not going to be able to make perfect moves. So far the only knock on this potential addition is that the guy is not a spring chicken. Well, that's life. Don't give up the farm to get him, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I guess I've used up my allotment of cliches with this post.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #63
jacquescas
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 1,323
Rep Power: 12 jacquescas is ridin' the pine
Default

i dont see all the stuff about Moulds being old. Yes he is 32. but Wide Reciever is not running back. There is a world of difference between a 32 year old running back with 9000 career yards and a 32 year old wide reciever with 9000 career yards.

Moulds still has probably about 2-3 years left at a high level. At that point Mathis or whomever should be ready to take over. I like it. I would rather give them the 5th round pick but, i'd do it for a 4th rounder. i'd try and get him to accept a 3 year 12 million contract.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #64
el toro
All Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 509
Rep Power: 9 el toro is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
They friggin better be, we just signed Carr to a 3 year extension and we have no defense.
It's not like the D has been totally ignored this offseason thusfar. And there's still the draft.

In addition, an offense which can move the chains, stay on the field, and score points has significant value for the defense. If we were looking at an offense that does not have the potential to be that next season then the D would be more of an issue. If the offense can control the ball and clock like that, then all you need is an average defense. An extraordinary defense is a need if your offense is going to be abyssmal (ala the Ravens). Otherwise an average defense will work quite well. So the delta between offensive spending versus defensive spending doesn't matter as much to that end.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #65
Texans32
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 25
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 10 Texans32 is ridin' the pine
Default

T.O and Marvin Harrison and Issac Bruce are all 31 or 32.....are they too old to produce????
__________________
GATA
Texans32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #66
David's Busted Carr
Veteran
 
David's Busted Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 256
Rep Power: 9 David's Busted Carr is a team player
Default

If we can get Moulds for a 4th round pick and sign him for 3 years it would be PERFECT! A good veteran WR to take pressure off of AJ and mentor our younger WRs. And 32 is NOT too old to play WR at a very high level. WRs can play into their later 30s. And don't need him to be a #1 anyway. Just his presence will demand a defense's respect.

I just have a hard time believing he'd rather play here over Philly or NE where he would be the #1 WR and has a chance to win a ring. But hey, if it happens more power to our front office...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #67
blockhead83
All Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: College Station, Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 715
Rep Power: 11 blockhead83 is a fan favorite
Send a message via AIM to blockhead83
Default

How in the world does signing a guy like Moulds' hinder our process of building through the draft? Signing a proven, pro bowl caliber receiver (albeit on the downside of his career) does in no way preclude us from still building in the draft. We won't be signing a player of his caliber in the 4th round, and we can't afford to keep signing young players and watching for 3 years to see if they develop with no other viable starters. Trade a 4th for Moulds, let him play for 3 years or however long, that'll give us time to find a young player who can step in for him when he retires/is relegated to the #3 position or the bench. Having a solid #2 to take some heat off AJ for 3 years is not a bad thing. Those are three years we don't have to reach for a WR in the draft, and 3 years Carr will have an enhanced passing attack. I don't see the downside to bringing in Moulds for a 4th, as long as we don't break the bank.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2006   #68
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

The problem the last few years has been, because of the astonomical number of injuries in the 2nd year, to try to fix both sides of the ball at the same time. There have been just too many needs on both sides of the ball to get it done. As a result nothing has been fixed. I believe they have decided the offensive side should be the easiest to fix and that it would be productive. You have to have success somewhere or you simply drive the team into the ground. We have seen that scenario.

This would keep us in games and we could win a lot of them. Remember, Indy had a great offense and then began to fix the defense. If you only need 1 or 2 people its one thing, but when you need quite a few people on each side its another story.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #69
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod
 
Kaiser Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Straight Outta Austin
Age: 44
Posts: 16,033
Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
The problem the last few years has been, because of the astonomical number of injuries in the 2nd year, to try to fix both sides of the ball at the same time. There have been just too many needs on both sides of the ball to get it done. As a result nothing has been fixed. I believe they have decided the offensive side should be the easiest to fix and that it would be productive. You have to have success somewhere or you simply drive the team into the ground. We have seen that scenario.

This would keep us in games and we could win a lot of them. Remember, Indy had a great offense and then began to fix the defense. If you only need 1 or 2 people its one thing, but when you need quite a few people on each side its another story.
But why the need for more offensive skill players? Everyone and their mother says it was only the offensive pass protection and the playbook. Did we not extend DD, did we not extend DC, have we not resigned McKinney, signed Flanagan, Putzier, Wlater and Cook? Is that not enough? I do not understand how so many people point to the fact that Carr is an amazing talent and we have top notch WR in AJ, but we will still need more?

News flash: The NFL and NFLPA extended the CBA, there will continue to be a salary cap.
__________________
Smell the glove is here
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #70
jacquescas
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 1,323
Rep Power: 12 jacquescas is ridin' the pine
Default

THink of Moulds asa 2 year stop gap until our younger talent is ready to step up. Someone for the younger guys to learn from. Our offense is very young, some vetrans will help.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #71
rockabilly
Veteran
 
rockabilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 30
Posts: 410
Rep Power: 31 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I look at Moulds as a giant upgrade from Bradford. Although I wish we would get ourselves a CB.

I am not even going to recognize this offense next year.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #72
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
But why the need for more offensive skill players? Everyone and their mother says it was only the offensive pass protection and the playbook. Did we not extend DD, did we not extend DC, have we not resigned McKinney, signed Flanagan, Putzier, Wlater and Cook? Is that not enough? I do not understand how so many people point to the fact that Carr is an amazing talent and we have top notch WR in AJ, but we will still need more?

News flash: The NFL and NFLPA extended the CBA, there will continue to be a salary cap.
I'm probably one of the few that does not call AJ a number 1 receiver. At the present time I believe that is the case. He has a lot of talent, but he is not a guy like Moss or TO who you can go to despite the defense that surrounds him. AJ needs help to be open. They are trying to put together and Indy type of offense, not just an average one. Ours will probably feature the running game more than the passing game, but we do want a potent passing game. Again, I trust where are coaches are going we will just have to wait and see.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,339
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I'm probably one of the few that does not call AJ a number 1 receiver. At the present time I believe that is the case. He has a lot of talent, but he is not a guy like Moss or TO who you can go to despite the defense that surrounds him. AJ needs help to be open. They are trying to put together and Indy type of offense, not just an average one. Ours will probably feature the running game more than the passing game, but we do want a potent passing game. Again, I trust where are coaches are going we will just have to wait and see.
Man, we have got to get Moss off that list. He has been dismal the last 2 years. He's not who he used to be, and definitely not who he can be. I was a big fan, but I've been disappointed with him lately, more often than not.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #74
O.G.
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Clear Lake
Age: 37
Posts: 470
Rep Power: 11 O.G. is a team player
Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
i dont see all the stuff about Moulds being old. Yes he is 32. but Wide Reciever is not running back. There is a world of difference between a 32 year old running back with 9000 career yards and a 32 year old wide reciever with 9000 career yards.

Moulds still has probably about 2-3 years left at a high level. At that point Mathis or whomever should be ready to take over. I like it. I would rather give them the 5th round pick but, i'd do it for a 4th rounder. i'd try and get him to accept a 3 year 12 million contract.
That is exactly what the Texans should and probably will give Moulds. He's only going to get that money thru a sign and trade because on open market, he will get less, but then again I've seen crazier things happen this offseason.....like Nate Burleson.
__________________
This Side, Let'z Ride.......Where Ya At, The Whole City's Behind Us!!!
O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #75
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Man, we have got to get Moss off that list. He has been dismal the last 2 years. He's not who he used to be, and definitely not who he can be. I was a big fan, but I've been disappointed with him lately, more often than not.
My point is AJ has yet to show he can do it all by himself and the team has constantly stated they need someone to take the pressure off of AJ. Again, AJ has a lot of talent, he's just not elite as yet.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #76
bigTEXan8
All Pro
 
bigTEXan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The 'No, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 919
Rep Power: 10 bigTEXan8 is a team player
Default ...

kaulu is a nice sing...JMO. I'm excited to see Moulds possible come here, and could be very worth it...teach the youngin' WRs tricks of the trade.
__________________
The Lord is my refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble.
bigTEXan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #77
el toro
All Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 509
Rep Power: 9 el toro is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
But why the need for more offensive skill players? Everyone and their mother says it was only the offensive pass protection and the playbook. Did we not extend DD, did we not extend DC, have we not resigned McKinney, signed Flanagan, Putzier, Wlater and Cook? Is that not enough? I do not understand how so many people point to the fact that Carr is an amazing talent and we have top notch WR in AJ, but we will still need more?

News flash: The NFL and NFLPA extended the CBA, there will continue to be a salary cap.

Are we seeking to be average on both sides of the ball? You need one side of the ball to be well above average. So what if you spend more jack on that side? Reggie Bush has just fallen into your lap. Don't overthink this.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #78
tulexan
Hall of Fame
 
tulexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 30
Posts: 5,080
Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
But why the need for more offensive skill players? Everyone and their mother says it was only the offensive pass protection and the playbook. Did we not extend DD, did we not extend DC, have we not resigned McKinney, signed Flanagan, Putzier, Wlater and Cook? Is that not enough? I do not understand how so many people point to the fact that Carr is an amazing talent and we have top notch WR in AJ, but we will still need more?

News flash: The NFL and NFLPA extended the CBA, there will continue to be a salary cap.

Maybe when Reeves and the coaching staff evaluated the talent, they came to the conclusion that the players on the offensive side were significantly worse than the players on the defensive side and the defensive problems had a lot more to do with the lack of coaching.

I'm not saying this is the reason for their one sided approach, but it could be a reason.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #79
Hawg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SHSU, Huntsville, TX
Age: 30
Posts: 65
Rep Power: 9 Hawg is ridin' the pine
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
How in the world does signing a guy like Moulds' hinder our process of building through the draft? Signing a proven, pro bowl caliber receiver (albeit on the downside of his career) does in no way preclude us from still building in the draft. We won't be signing a player of his caliber in the 4th round, and we can't afford to keep signing young players and watching for 3 years to see if they develop with no other viable starters. Trade a 4th for Moulds, let him play for 3 years or however long, that'll give us time to find a young player who can step in for him when he retires/is relegated to the #3 position or the bench. Having a solid #2 to take some heat off AJ for 3 years is not a bad thing. Those are three years we don't have to reach for a WR in the draft, and 3 years Carr will have an enhanced passing attack. I don't see the downside to bringing in Moulds for a 4th, as long as we don't break the bank.
I agree with you one hundred percent. If we dont put a legitimate #2 on the other side of AJ then how can we expect him to produce at the high level that we know he can. I think that Moulds gives us that #2. This offense would be very exciting if we got him, escpecially since we will have Bush. GO TEXANS. (Draft Bush)
Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #80
el toro
All Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 509
Rep Power: 9 el toro is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Maybe when Reeves and the coaching staff evaluated the talent, they came to the conclusion that the players on the offensive side were significantly worse than the players on the defensive side and the defensive problems had a lot more to do with the lack of coaching.

I'm not saying this is the reason for their one sided approach, but it could be a reason.
Well, obviously they felt like some offensive players were worth keeping around. The HC's experience and talent lies in putting together proficient offenses. The front office has obviously made moves in free agency to add players who fit his style of offense.

It's not like improving the offense comes at the expense of the defense. If the defense finds itself on the field less during games due to the ability of the offense to put together sustained drives, that's a plus defensively. You don't need a spectacular defense in this scenario, you need an average one who can get the job done. With a great offense, you'll have a well-rested defense when it's their turn to take the field. You'll also have opposing offenses that are forced to wait on the sidelines while yours is on the field, thereby disrupting their chance to develop a rhythm.

I'm not sure why the team must clip their efforts to build a potent offense in order to add a defensive player or two. Why regress to the mean on both sides? Become exemplary on one side and use that to your advantage on the other side.

Last edited by el toro; 03-27-2006 at 11:37 AM.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger