Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2006   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default The ONLY move I dont like so far

I like quite a few of the moves recently... the only move I dislike is one player from our team from last year has not been signed. Granted, he was the best player the last few years (and behind a horrible O-line, how could you be). Last year, however, he showed me he has improved very well and did some good runs.

Bring back our 3rd backup to Bush and Davis... Bring back Jonathan Wells. You probably can get him for cheap.
Old 03-26-2006   #2
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know he had stated that he wanted to go somewhere he had a chance to be either the guy or at least split carries. Maybe he's told the Texans he won't do anything with them at this moment. I agree with you that a guy that will do whatever you ask is nice to have. He's the epitome of a "team guy." I still hope they can do something. If they draft Bush, though, it's probably not going to happen. I can't see Bush, Davis, Morency, Wells, Norris, and Cook all making the roster. I'd keep Wells as a backup to both spots myself and waive Norris.
Old 03-26-2006   #3
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Johnathen Wells is my starting RB in Madden. I love the guy on the field...he plays b**** to the wall every game I see him play. I just wish he would have split the carries a little bit more during the his years in Houston. No offense to DD fans, but if he left, Wells stayed, then I'd be cool with drafting Bush then.
Old 03-26-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I doubt Wells gets resigned, he didn't seem real content and I don't think Kubiak has much reason to hang on to him. He played special teams and was pretty good at it and was a decent receiver for a RB his size, but he was a 255 lb. RB that tried to dance around people rather than hitting the hole hard and running people over, and he was not a good blocker, so he really has no function in the new offensive scheme. It doesn't seem like he was overly well-liked within the organization anyways, and given the fact that they've already resigned people like Troy Evans, Ramon Walker, Donovan Morgan, Jamal Lord, DaShon Polk, Frank Chamberlin, etc. without resigning him I really don't expect him to be back.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #5
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the longer he sits in FA, the better chance we have of getting him back. Has he drawn interest from any other teams?
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I doubt Wells gets resigned, he didn't seem real content and I don't think Kubiak has much reason to hang on to him.
What makes you believe that he "didn't seem real content?" Just curious because I hadn't seen any of that but maybe I missed something.

He seemed to be a very team guy, and I know that he has really enjoyed having Coach Joe as his ST coach and being one of the leaders on ST. I could completely see him going somewhere else if the money were right, but he would be a guy I'd like to see back as I like his versatility and size and willingness to work.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #7
horn_omatic
Rookie

Insted of signing Cook, i dont know why they just didnt switch Wells to fullback. He said last year he would welcome the transition, plus he has better size than Cook.
Old 03-26-2006   #8
Doom Capers
Veteran

I agree, but I also disagree. Wells deserves a chance to go somewhere and start, or at least get split carries.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn_omatic
Insted of signing Cook, i dont know why they just didnt switch Wells to fullback. He said last year he would welcome the transition, plus he has better size than Cook.

I don't know this for a fact, but just looking at what the Texans are doing and saying, I am thinking they are:

1. Trying to get guys to play in the positions that they are most likely to be successful doing. So instead of having McKinney be a team guy and play center because we don't have an experienced guy there, we go draft an experienced guy there and put McKinney in the best spot for him to do well.

Some of that might just be a matter of how little options we had in our early years, but I would think it is a better practice to have guys play where they are gonna do better instead of trying to convert people.

2. So, it might just be better to have someone specialized as a FB play FB, especially if he is the sort of FB that might excel in Kubiak's scheme.

Also, it may be that we couldn't count on Wells doing that, if he really was trying to get a FA deal somewhere else.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #10
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
I agree, but I also disagree. Wells deserves a chance to go somewhere and start, or at least get split carries.
He should be splitting carries with Bush since it seems like he would be a perfect compliment to him. JM
Old 03-26-2006   #11
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
He should be splitting carries with Bush since it seems like he would be a perfect compliment to him. JM
What would that make DD?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #12
el toro
All Pro

Nothing wrong with keeping a stable of backs considering who is coaching the team now.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #13
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Lose Davis and use Wells as a change of pace for Bush.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #14
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

the reason you haven't seen Wells re-signed is because there isn't much use for a 255 lb wimp RB, who gets tackled by 180 CB's, using their arms only, who couldn't block a high school player, and his great special teams players must code speak for "he can't find anyone to block" even if he is the left side of the 'wedge' because I have sat there several times watching someone run right by him and tackle Mathis.

Wells = Waste of a draft pick for a RB. Davis runs harder and is smaller. Neither of them will be noted for their blocking skills though.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #15
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

the worst move made this off season was giving david carr pro bowl money we could of let him hit the free agent market and got him for pennies on the dollar instead of making him the most over paid texan.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #16
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the worst move made this off season was giving david carr pro bowl money we could of let him hit the free agent market and got him for pennies on the dollar instead of making him the most over paid texan.
zackly
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #17
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
What would that make DD?
I have no problem with DD. To me though, he's not going to have that big-time run. It's just my personal opinion on how I like my RBs. I've always preferred 1 guy who will burn you *** to the outside, and another guy who's going to run it right down your throat. DD just doesn't do it for me. I think he's a solid RB...
Old 03-26-2006   #18
done88
Veteran

We need a resign Wells petition.
Old 03-26-2006   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I concur , Bring back Wells . Special teams Stand Out ..... does all the little things . Kinda reminds me of the things Troy Brown does for the Pats but to a lesser degree ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
What makes you believe that he "didn't seem real content?" Just curious because I hadn't seen any of that but maybe I missed something.

He seemed to be a very team guy, and I know that he has really enjoyed having Coach Joe as his ST coach and being one of the leaders on ST. I could completely see him going somewhere else if the money were right, but he would be a guy I'd like to see back as I like his versatility and size and willingness to work.
He wasn't content with his participation on offense, it sounded like he whined a lot about not getting more carries (probably should have gotten a few more) and created more conflict among people than he resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn_omatic
Wells is not a very good blocker to be our main FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I don't see Wells being a "perfect complement" for Bush. We could use a bigger, power RB but Wells doesn't like to use his size and run with power, he tries to dance around like a scatback when he is 6'1", 255 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
We need a resign Wells petition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I concur , Bring back Wells . Special teams Stand Out ..... does all the little things . Kinda reminds me of the things Troy Brown does for the Pats but to a lesser degree ....
Let's not, we have enough good special teams type players rather than players that are good at the positions they are supposed to be playing. You shouldn't dedicate so many roster spots to special teams players.

Assuming we draft Reggie Bush, I'd probably prefer to keep Morency to Davis. He is a little bigger, a little faster, and the same type of runner although he probably doesn't catch the ball as well. Although he is already older than Domanick, he has less miles on his legs and has no injury concerns to this point in time and I think he can be as effective if not more effective of a runner as Davis is, and right now he's a lot cheaper to keep but at the same time Domanick Davis is also pretty expensive to trade. I think drafting Bush could mean trading one of these two guys and getting more of a power RB or just let Cook/Norris run the ball get a guy more along Hollings as emergency depth at RB.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 03-26-2006 at 06:11 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read