Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2006   #1
newbiefan
Rookie

Default Dumb Question...

Why is it that NFL Qb's hafta be able to take snaps under center as opposed to from shotgun like many do in colledge?
newbiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #2
Akhorahil
Rookie

from what I understand its easier to read the defense and call audibles when taking direct snaps.
Akhorahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

no, it's easier to read the defense from the shotgun. That's why Vince's ability to read defenses quickly is in question, the shotgun gives him an edge.
Old 03-25-2006   #4
The Myth
Rookie

Your more likely to have a better running game lined behind center rather than draws from the shotgun I would think. No proof to that whatsoever just my thoughts as to one of the reasons.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #5
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
no, it's easier to read the defense from the shotgun. That's why Vince's ability to read defenses quickly is in question, the shotgun gives him an edge.
so does his coach dumbing down the offense and letting him do whatever the wants. HC's and O-coordinators in the NFL won't let vince do whatever he wants.
Old 03-26-2006   #6
Texans86
All Pro

Because it's the standard, and the spread offense is rarely used in a pro style offense. I'm not exactly sure why the pro's stopped using it, but it probably has something to do with the faster defenses. It also might have something to do with the fact that there are a lot more plays that can be run. There can be all the plays run out of a shotgun formation, and even more run out from under the center. The more plays available, the less a defense can focus on certain aspects of a quarterback's tendancies. Of course it might have nothing to do with the things I just stated, that just my guess.
Old 03-26-2006   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiefan
Why is it that NFL Qb's hafta be able to take snaps under center as opposed to from shotgun like many do in colledge?
IMO its because it is less predicatable. In Shotgun.... you are more likely to pass the ball in the NFL. Too much talent to try to run out of the shotgun consistently.

The QB under the center leaves the door open for pretty much any play, leaving the defense guessing more if you will. Pass, run, and most importantly the play action.

You just have more options if the QB is under center.... and in the complex world of the NFL...its a necessity.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2006   #8
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I could be wrong, but is there an increased chance of fumbling the snap when using the shotgun formation.
Old 03-26-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

None of that makes any sense to me and I'm not even a Young supporter. It SEEMS to me that everybody should want to just use the shotgun all the time. I don't see how it henders anything, but I'm sure you're right and I'm just not getting it. For instance, I don't see why you necesarilly have to use a spread offense just because the QB is dropped back. I suppose the shotgun would stop you from being able to fake hand-offs. That's one thing that makes sense to me.

edit: Guess another one is calling audibles in a loud stadium.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #10
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Play action, and less likely to fumble. Thats my guess.
jaayteetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #11
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

They want you watching/reading the defense the entire time. They don't want you to have to take your eyes off the defense while you try to catch the ball in the shotgun. It's only a split second but that's the difference between the NFL and college.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #12
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Also, its much harder to run out of the shotgun, because everything is basically a draw. If the defense is looking for run, you are going to get stuffed.
Old 03-26-2006   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I could be wrong, but is there an increased chance of fumbling the snap when using the shotgun formation.
This would be my best guess also. To many factors could easily cause a 40 yard mis-snap. Actually a pretty good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Running out of a shotgun is also a lot easier for the opposing defense to get a pass rush too. In college you don't have the kind of speed coming off the edges that you do in the NFL, so dropping into a shotgun spreads the OLinemen out a lot in order to protect the outside edges so it's generally easier for defenses to blitz around the outside or rush their DLinemen outside and allow blitzes to come up the middle.

Dropping into a shotgun generally allows the QB to throw the ball quicker as well as they don't have to take their 3-7 step drop before they are ready to throw, but it also reduces the options you have for running the ball and makes your playcalling a little more predictable.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #15
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
None of that makes any sense to me and I'm not even a Young supporter. It SEEMS to me that everybody should want to just use the shotgun all the time. I don't see how it henders anything, but I'm sure you're right and I'm just not getting it. For instance, I don't see why you necesarilly have to use a spread offense just because the QB is dropped back. I suppose the shotgun would stop you from being able to fake hand-offs. That's one thing that makes sense to me.

edit: Guess another one is calling audibles in a loud stadium.
Harder to run the ball effectively from the shotgun - especially as you don't the full use of the FB
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #16
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Same reason they don't run the option in the pros.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #17
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Same reason they don't run the option in the pros.

umm no.

teams still use the shotgun in the NFL. no one uses the option, ever.
Old 03-26-2006   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
so does his coach dumbing down the offense and letting him do whatever the wants. HC's and O-coordinators in the NFL won't let vince do whatever he wants.
<sarcasm>And Alex Smith running Urban Myers dumbed-down shotgun spread system really hurt his draft stock as well.</sarcasm>
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #19
newbiefan
Rookie

Based on the lack of a definitive answer, I guess it wasnt a dumb question. But thanks guys for givin me a better idea, I like Mork's explanation, makes sense to me.
newbiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #20
whiskeyrbl

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Running out of a shotgun is also a lot easier for the opposing defense to get a pass rush too. In college you don't have the kind of speed coming off the edges that you do in the NFL, so dropping into a shotgun spreads the OLinemen out a lot in order to protect the outside edges so it's generally easier for defenses to blitz around the outside or rush their DLinemen outside and allow blitzes to come up the middle.

Dropping into a shotgun generally allows the QB to throw the ball quicker as well as they don't have to take their 3-7 step drop before they are ready to throw, but it also reduces the options you have for running the ball and makes your playcalling a little more predictable.
Very well put.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read