Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our Starters, and the weak spots

I am posting this mainly for my own benefit, so that I can get a visual idea of what our weaknesses are.

Here are our starters(as I see them)..and I highlighted the positions which I think we are weak at, and could use depth or an upgrade.

QB: David Carr
HB: Reggie Bush
HB2: Domanick Davis
FB: Jameel Cook
TE: Jeb Putzier
TE2: Marcellus Rivers(do we still have him?)/Matt Murphy
WR: Andre Johnson
WR2: Kevin Walter
LT: Chester Pitts
LG: Steve McKinney
C: Mike Flanagan
RG: Zach Wiegert
RT: Seth Wand

LDE: Peek/Babin
LDT: Robaire Smith
RDT: Travis Johnson/Seth Payne
RDE: Anthony Weaver
LOLB: Shantee Orr
MLB: Sam Cowart
ROLB: Kailee Wong
SS: Glen Earl
CB: Dunta Robinson
CB2: Phillip Buchanan/Demarcus Faggins
FS: C.C. Brown

Last edited by Grid; 03-25-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

this is actually a lot like the thread under mine isnt it? sorry
Old 03-25-2006   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

You've got Seth Wand starting at RT & RDT. That's one way to get your money's worth out of a player. Typos happen to the best of us.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

You forgot our current starting FB, Moran Norris. Disregard, I see what your doing now.

You think Orr could beat out Greenwood for a starting OLB spot? Didnt Greenwood play OLB in Miami and do very well there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #5
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Does know one think that Greenwood is going to be playing WLB? Isn't that what he played in Miami? I would just think that is where he'd play again since the Texans are going to the 4-3
Old 03-25-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

whoops..thanks for pointing that out.. meant Seth Payne.

I think that our new defensive coordinator values aggressive play. Greenwood was a pretty good OLB in Miami... he had lots of tackles and wasnt too bad in Coverage. What he DIDNT have was sacks, and tackles for a loss. Because of that, I think Orr will beat him out. Honestly I think Orr is going to be our best OLB coming out of TC.
Old 03-25-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

I think McKinney'll be fine at LG and also that Wiegart is OK at RG. Otherwise, I agree.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2006   #8
Holden135
Veteran

We are paying Greenwood too much to have him as a back up. I think Wong is gonna be on the bench. You gotta remember he is coming off season ending surgery and still isn't healthy, he is a little old to comeback 100%.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #9
pskinny
Veteran

Quote:
I am posting this mainly for my own benefit, so that I can get a visual idea of what our weaknesses are.

Here are our starters(as I see them)..and I highlighted the positions which I think we are weak at, and could use depth or an upgrade.

Nice post. I mostly agree, though I see Seth Wand at RT as a weak spot. One I hope we address in the 2nd round. And McKinney at LG is solid. At least our coaching staff believes so, or he wouldn't have got the extension.

I like what you did with our linebackers. I'm not a Greenwood fan at all. Him, Wade, and the Marcus Coleman extension have to be the worst decsions this franchise has made.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskinny
And McKinney at LG is solid. At least our coaching staff believes so, or he wouldn't have got the extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
We are paying Greenwood too much to have him as a back up. I think Wong is gonna be on the bench. You gotta remember he is coming off season ending surgery and still isn't healthy, he is a little old to comeback 100%.

I think that for the amount of money McKinney is getting they could easily have signed him as veteran back up to the guard and the center positions. Remember they also extended Weary for (going from memory) similar money.

I think McKinney or Weary will have to earn a starting role. For that matter, I think that most players will have to earn their positions in training camp, and the decision certainly won't be made by starting the highest paid players at each spot.
Old 03-25-2006   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskinny
I'm not a Greenwood fan at all. Him, Wade, and the Marcus Coleman extension have to be the worst decsions this franchise has made.
I think you have to add the Walker contract in there also.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #12
bkimble
Rookie

Quote:

Why isn't David Carr highlighted? And what about Peek/Babin, Robaire Smith and I'm not sure about Travis Johnson either. We still have some major holes to fill. However, I do feel that Kubas is inching us in the right direction. I know some on this board will disagree with me on this but David Carr will not be the Texan QB after this year. Don't you see the writing on the wall. Kubas will not be able to turn this guy around and both him and CC will be somewhere else after this year. Some of you may not remember the Brian Griese expriement in Denver. They cut Griese after Kubas couldn't make him into a NFL QB. The same thing will happen to Carr. And don't start with the rediculous comments that David Carr isn't Brian Griese, I agree he's worse.
bkimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Brian Griese went to the Pro Bowl when he was in Denver. I guess you don't remember that.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #14
bkimble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Brian Griese went to the Pro Bowl when he was in Denver. I guess you don't remember that.

No i don't. However, David Carr isn't going to the Pro Bowl. Nobody can make that happen, not even Kubas. This guy is a joke.
Old 03-25-2006   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkimble
No i don't. However, David Carr isn't going to the Pro Bowl. Nobody can make that happen, not even Kubas. This guy is a joke.

Why because he didn't go to Texas like your precious Vince Young. Carr may not be one of the best QBs in the league right now, but the guy has talent. He did throw for 3500 yards and rushed for another 300 in 2004. That was when he was only sacked 49 times and had only 1 playmaker.
Old 03-25-2006   #16
bkimble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Why because he didn't go to Texas like your precious Vince Young. Carr may not be one of the best QBs in the league right now, but the guy has talent. He did throw for 3500 yards and rushed for another 300 in 2004. That was when he was only sacked 49 times and had only 1 playmaker.

ok...we'll see how he does this year. Oh yeah, I love the Unversity of Texas, and I love Vince Young.
Old 03-25-2006   #17
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 19944 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

No kidding? Wow, couldn't tell from your post there For a knowledgeable fan, I'll go with Grid, also the new Redskins fan has some great insight, they are moving up my list of must read posters. Others are falling faster than VY's draft position.... I've been a trade down supporter from the beginning, nothing I've seen, including the highlight film of RB has changed my mind. Jerry Glanville had a name for his style..."Boola Boola back", to much east and west instead of north and south. Ferguson, or Williams are the only logical choices, and I don't see us taking either with the first pick. Remember, I don't hate UT, I hate UT fans <excluding Texans Chick, she's too smart for me to debate with hehe>
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #18
stevo3883
All Pro

DT: Robaire Smith
DT: Seth Payne
DT: Travis Johnson
ROLB:Kailee Wong

red = immediate upgrade needed
blue = could use upgrade
black = legit starter
Old 03-25-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

The more I think about Walter, the more I believe that he could potentially be our #2 receiver, and be a decent/good one too.

My reason behind this is that you can't have a team full of deep threats. You have to have some players on the roster who can do the dirty work and give you those 8-12 necessary yards to get the first down. So far what we know about Walter is that he is a big bodied, tough receiver who isn't incredibly fast, but at 4.56 for the 40, he isn't a turtle either. We know that he is a great blocker and he has pretty good hands as well.

Now could we upgrade and make him the third receiver? Sure, but with the other weapons that we are going to have on offense (Putzier, AJ, Bush, Davis) we don't need to reach to get a receiver if there are better prospects available in other need positions.

Right now I would say that the most likely scenario for the first day of the draft is:

1. Bush
2. CB (unless Eric Winston is available)
3. OT (unless we took Eric Winston)
3. WR

With our second pick of the third round we can still get a quality receiver who we can bring along slowly rather than relying on a rookie to be our #2 receiver.
Old 03-26-2006   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

thanks for the replies. I just want to clarify a few things.

The highlighted spots are places where I feel we either need an upgrade (new player) or depth (someone to groom, or at least a quality career 2nd stringer)

I highlighted both guard spots because we need depth there. I like McKinney and Wiegert as starters.. but if one of them goes down, who do we have? Weary? Wade? I dunno.. I think we need a solid OG in the draft. Davin Joseph in the second, Mark Setterstrom in the 3rd/4th.. or, perhaps Nick Mangold in the second..he may be good depth for us at Guard and a guy to groom at Center.. I dunno. Ive heard that he may be able to play OG in the pros though.

I actually agree with alot of Stevo3883's post (omg I cant beleive I said that). He basicly has it highlighted in the same way that im thinking, except for a couple things.

For example.. I dont feel that we need to worry about upgrading Jameel Cook. He is there to be a receiving threat that can also be the FB. If he sucks for some reason.. we still have Moran Norris.

I dont think we need an immediate upgrade at the #2 WR spot. I think we can wait a season and see if any of our guys emerge as a legit #2. We can just play musical chairs with them and see if anyone steps it up a notch. I think we will be ok doing that considering that our offense actually did pretty well sometimes with Bradford at #2. Protection and a knowledgeable, offensive minded HC can work wonders.

I dont think an immediate upgrade at RT is necessary either. I think it may not be a bad idea.. considering the depth of OT in this draft.. but I dont think it is necessary. Wand got a bum rap and could very well be a great RT, and Wade can fill in for a season if necessary. Basicly, we dont know what we have in Wand, but we do know we have someone solid to start with Wade.. so it isnt an "immediate upgrade necessary" position.

Peek/Babin seem solid to me as well. If 4-3 defenses like Indi and Atlanta can start DEs in the 265-275 range..and be successful..then so can we.

Travis Johnson I completely disagree with. We have no real knowledge of what we have in Johnson at this point. We do have pretty good depth behind him though, so im not too worried about it if he turns out to be a bust. It is a position we can address later if necessary.

We could use someone young to groom at MLB. For sure.

so.. actually I guess I agree with PART of what Stevo said... which makes me feel a little better ...but still isnt good.

SS does NOT need any upgrades or depth. One of our strongest positions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read