Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-25-2006   #1
jjcorvallis
Rookie

Default I don't get why we need Bush at all.

Our team has so many holes. We have need at almost EVERY position, and we're going to draft a running back? Which is our ONLY strong part?

WR, OL, QB, TE, DL, LB, S, CB All of these positon are our needs, and running back is definitely not our need!

Please trade down, or draft vince.

No matter how far it is trade down. If we can't trade down draft Vince.
jjcorvallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #2
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcorvallis
Our team has so many holes. We have need at almost EVERY position, and we're going to draft a running back? Which is our ONLY strong part?

WR, OL, QB, TE, DL, LB, S, CB All of these positon are our needs, and running back is definitely not our need!

Why do we need a QB then?
Old 03-25-2006   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If QB is such a big hole why not take Leinart, the QB who could help us faster then VY?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

bpa of the entire draft thats why- who has been a winner at every level of competition- a team player with a great attitude- will help Carr more than you think-
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
bpa of the entire draft thats why- who has been a winner at every level of competition- a team player with a great attitude- will help Carr more than you think-
We must help Carr. I am still confused by this notion. Let's help the team.
Old 03-25-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Didn't we just sign a LB, QB, OL, DE, TE, and WR?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A #2 WR is a semi-need, but thats only if you don't expect Walters to contribute. QB was addressed with Sage and extending Carr's contract. TE was addressed with Putzier, and Joppru is looking quite good...he is simply insurance and a back-up now. DL - We are set at DT, in fact we have a surplus. At DE, we have Babin/Peek with Weaver just signed. At LB we have some long term contracts in Greenwood and Wong, Orr proved himself enough to warrent a spot this year, and we just signed Cowart to play MLB if Wong isn't ready. Safty is still a need, but only FS. CB is not really a need, only for depth. Buchanon is fine.

Your right, RB is not a need, but neither is a QB and any of the other positions listed except for FS. I like the trading down idea, but not for Vince. It's not that I like Bush either, but Vince is not our answer. Get over it and move along.
Old 03-25-2006   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
whats to confuse he needs better protection (which they have addressed and will continue to address) more weapons combined with a scheme that better fits his strengths. oh yeah, nothing calls the dogs off like a great ground attack & some skilled recievers that can stretch the field out.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'm still confused who he listed all of the positions that we just filled through free agency as major holes (except CB and S)
Old 03-25-2006   #10
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I think Bush will help the team. He doesn't have to carry the ball every time to influence the game. He can be put in the slot to create mismatches and serve as a go to receiver. IMO he could contribute heavily in the passing game. Teams will have to game plan around him and AJ. We would pick up a playmaker in both the running and passing game and still have three picks that we could use to pick up quality players.
Old 03-25-2006   #11
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
A #2 WR is a semi-need, but thats only if you don't expect Walters to contribute. QB was addressed with Sage and extending Carr's contract. TE was addressed with Putzier, and Joppru is looking quite good...he is simply insurance and a back-up now. DL - We are set at DT, in fact we have a surplus. At DE, we have Babin/Peek with Weaver just signed. At LB we have some long term contracts in Greenwood and Wong, Orr proved himself enough to warrent a spot this year, and we just signed Cowart to play MLB if Wong isn't ready. Safty is still a need, but only FS. CB is not really a need, only for depth. Buchanon is fine.

Your right, RB is not a need, but neither is a QB and any of the other positions listed except for FS. I like the trading down idea, but not for Vince. It's not that I like Bush either, but Vince is not our answer. Get over it and move along.
I don't want to come across as a team hater but after this last season I think I'm allowed to be bitter for a while and I think JJ has a good point. QB is "adressed"? Yes, if Carr can step on the field and contribute well, which is a question mark in my head. I don't know what this surplus of DT's is. I don't know that long term contracts in Greenwood and Wong are good. I don't know how Buchanon can be labeled fine - I mean he was benched by the worst team in the NFL. There are only 4 players on this team who I am really pleased with right now: Dunta, AJ, DD, and Mathis. Hopefully the others will step up, but I have yet to see it.

Now that I've gotten my negativity out... I'll be the first to tell you that I want VY because I am a fan of his, I am a lifelong UT fan. For me having my favorite Longhorn go to my favorite pro team would be a dream come true. From an objective good of the team viewpoint, trading down makes the most sense. I really don't understand the good that Reggie will do us (comparitively). Dominique is already putting up some of the best all-purpose yardage in the league. Mathis has the return game on lock down. I don't get how drafting one guy to get 10-15 carries a game is supposed to turn the franchise around. As I saw someone else post: I think RB could make an average team better, I think he could make a good team great, I don't think he can make a bad team good (thanks TJ). Unfortunately, we fall into the last category.
Old 03-25-2006   #12
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Bush is simply the best player available. Mario is right there with him, but with the recent signings I think the Texans are reserved to work hard on defense.
Old 03-25-2006   #13
Dunta_23
All Pro

Quote:

As soon as your post said draft Vince it became useless....IF we stay at # 1 we draft the BPA...which is Reggie...NOBODY in the world except UT fans think Vince is the BPA
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #14
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler
Default aw man

hey not all UT fans are sold on him being the BPA. I personally wanted Vince to stay another year. I like Vince and i'll cheer for him...long as he doesn't go to the Titans. I just can't bring myself to ever cheer for that organization.
Please_Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #15
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
I think Bush will help the team. He doesn't have to carry the ball every time to influence the game. He can be put in the slot to create mismatches and serve as a go to receiver. IMO he could contribute heavily in the passing game. Teams will have to game plan around him and AJ. We would pick up a playmaker in both the running and passing game and still have three picks that we could use to pick up quality players.
Anybody who thinks Bush is going to have much affent on defenses for more than a few games is living in a dream world. Bush will be a good and effective player, nothing more. Whenever he faced tough competition in college his numbers started looking quite human. In the NFL he'll be faced with people who are quicker and just as agile and athletic.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #16
CITY CAT
Veteran

In order to win championships, you need clutch playmakers. Therefore it is why we need Bush. Who on the Texans has the "IT" factor? Nobody!!! Bush is not a RB he is an IF for It factor.
CITY CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
If QB is such a big hole why not take Leinart, the QB who could help us faster then VY?
Is Tim Couch a better QB than McNabb?? Is he better than Culpepper?? You do know he was "rated" Higher than those two right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Didn't we just sign a LB, QB, OL, DE, TE, and WR?
Good point......... I hate to admit it........ but good point.

Doesn't change the fact that I want the Texans to draft Vince though

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
whats to confuse he needs better protection (which they have addressed and will continue to address) more weapons combined with a scheme that better fits his strengths. oh yeah, nothing calls the dogs off like a great ground attack & some skilled recievers that can stretch the field out.
The New Orleans Saints showed everybody how to get to Kurt Warner, even with Orlando Pace protecting him......... Even with the real deal Marshall Faulk in the back field. Since then, teams tee off on Kurt Warner........ Much like they will Tee off on David Carr & Peyton Manning for the rest of their careers......... Kurt hasn't been able to consistently beat the blitz, so teams will continue, Carr hasn't been able to recognize when it's coming... They will not stop, until they find out that Carr/Kurt can beat them more often than not. I think that will be the case with Peyton, with most teams....... not so with Kurt, or Carr.
Old 03-25-2006   #18
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

1.Dom Davis can't stay healthy, that makes RB a semi-need
2.The Texans biggest need on the entire team is another game changer and gamebreaker, they only other one they have is AJ.

You draft Bush because they believe Carr is good enough to win a championship, espically with a talent like Bush.

Carr and Bush sounds alot better Than VY and DD to me....and most importantly I think thats what Kubes, Cass and Uncle Bob think.

SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
The New Orleans Saints showed everybody how to get to Kurt Warner, even with Orlando Pace protecting him......... Even with the real deal Marshall Faulk in the back field. Since then, teams tee off on Kurt Warner........ Much like they will Tee off on David Carr & Peyton Manning for the rest of their careers......... Kurt hasn't been able to consistently beat the blitz, so teams will continue, Carr hasn't been able to recognize when it's coming... They will not stop, until they find out that Carr/Kurt can beat them more often than not. I think that will be the case with Peyton, with most teams....... not so with Kurt, or Carr.

Is that why the Rams looked just as impressive and returned to the Super Bowl the next season? The Rams collapsed because the next season Kurt Warner went down with a finger injury and Marshall Faulk went on a 5 season stretch of being injured for large portions of the season.
Old 03-25-2006   #20
Headlights of a Carr

This is silly you draft the BPA, plain and simple. He is 100% better than DD and I like DD. He is going to be better than Faulk and he (in college at least)could pick up the blitz. Then in the second round pick a WR that slips into the second round. Just hope the WR will be better than Gaffney was when he came out. And we have more picks that day to fill needs/BPA. You don't pass on a talent like this. I never thought we would be in position to draft him at the end of last year and look what happened. I am happy about the off-seasn so far and we need to top it off with selecting Reggie Bush.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read