Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2006   #1
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rating the FA period

How would you all rate the FA period so far. I'm going to say B-.

I like the Flanagan signing as we upgrade two positions with McKinney going to guard.

Putzier means we know have a TE threat and I loved to see Joppru get fit.

Comments on the board have talked about how Weaver is good against the run. Well in my opinion thats good as we were awful in run defence last year.

I get the feeling that Kubiak likes tough physical players who are seen as "solid".
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #2
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Well see yall are not looking at the fact that we went 2-14 last year so any play who comes here will demand a large amount of money.

Sam Cowart- Good MLB - A veteran..Xpro-bowler...Teach our D a few things.

Jeb Putzier- Good receiving TE- Will actually give us a threat in the TE spot.

Anthony Weaver- Good run stopper...Will form into a good pass rusher..

Jameel Cook- Receiving FB...Therefore giving Carr another option to dump off to when in need.

Kevin Walters- I really beleive this guy may prove to be a #2 receiver. He was deep in line in the Bengals WR pack but look at there top 2 receivers...If anything he will be a solid 3 and good special teams player.

Mike Flanagan- Instantly changes our line by moving people to different places...Great improvement.

I think we really have done a A- job...Another star linemen and WR and its a A+.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

id say B..reasons already stated there^
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #4
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Hulk--B+. Although I like all of the signings, both Flanagan and Cowart have had injury issues. Although they appear healthy now, it's always a concern. However, the leadership/experience that they bring should do wonders for our offense and defense.

All of the signings fill key need areas. Maybe with not big name stars, but certainly with players that have potential and offer certain specialties. Weaver solidifies our line. Putzier gives Carr a decent TE. Cook provides versatility from FB position. Finally, Walters adds height and hands to our WR core.

Overall, as a fan, I'm happy. Of course, I'd love a big splash like Arrington, but then again that's why I'm not a pro GM/Coach.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say a solid A.

We got a good head coach and a great assistant in Sherman.

We retained our special teams coach who is simply amazing at what he does.

We got a GOOD tight end, which has never happened until now.

We dumped aging, under-performing vets in Walker, Coleman, and Bradford who were eating up roster spots under the old Capers regime.

We let go a great guy (Gaffney) but a guy who is NOT a number 2 receiver in this league up to now. Best of luck, and I seriously hope he does well in Philly.

A solid center, and a great pass catching FB who compliments our run blocking FB Norris.

A run stuffing LB which was desperately needed. And we retained hard-working LBs who will flourish in the 4-3. I expect a break-out season. In fact, I think Wong is done. Great guy, great leader. Time is almost up, though.

Signed a WR from Cincy that cost a 7th round pick, which is where he was drafted at, and the guy is as big as AJ and is a possession-type receiver like Keyshawn...a guy who can make the 3rd & 4 catch and haul it in.

I think we've done well. I give us a low A. I don't think you have to land Terrell Owens or Shaun Alexander to deserve an A in free agency. And my grading is definitley skewed since the previous off seasons were all C's, in my opinion. So maybe I'm over-optimistic. Sue me.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

id say a B+ but if we can get someone to compliment D. Rob on the otherside, than it will be an A. i mean noone wants to throw d.robs way so we need somone who can step up to the challenge and make our secondary one of the best in the league.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #7
HeartofHouston
Veteran

SIGNED

Terry Pierce
Good LB who could play Strongside LB or Inside LB.. Good intangibles and at the VERY LEAST provide great backup in a number of positions.
Grade = B- (81)

Jameel Cook

Pass Recieving FB, Not Much of a Blocker but adds another threat to our offense, Giving another dump off option to Carr when all else fails.
Grade = B- (80)

Sage Rosenfels

I'm not a fan of this guy at all.. i mean the dolphins QB lineup was dismal last year and this guy was 3rd up to bat..
Grade = D- (68)

Kevin Walters
6'3, 214lbs Sure Handed.. In all honesty i havent heard much from this guy but how could you with the likes of Chad Johnson, Housmezadah (sp?) and Chris Henry on the team with you.. but judging from what the scouts are saying about him and his hands I think he could end up being the complement to Andre Johnson. And a Big Sure Handed Target for Carr to Throw too. Lets have him and Mathis battle for the 2 spot and see how it turns out..
Grade= B- (82)

Anthony Weaver

This guys is STRONG at the point of attack and he did help clear the way for a strong Raven's LB corp when he was with them. Facing numerous double and triple teams in their 3-4 should've helped him prepare for going to 4-3 where 1 on 1s happen a lot more often.. speciality is run stuffing but I really believe that he could give us about 7-10 sacks a year in our defense.
Grade= B (85)

Sam Cowart
Veteran Leadership that our Defense was missing last year is now here.. He can really stop the run big time.. Could end up with 110-130 tackles for us.. and have The Bear and Travis Johnson in the middle our run defense should be patched up alot more..
Grade = B (84)

Jeb Putzier
Averaged 13 yards per catch, played with Kube so he knows exactly what's going on in this offense and he could not only help the O-Line with blocking Techinique in this new system but he could help the rest of the offense's transition even easier cause he's been there and done that. Great intangibles good reciever and a good blocker
Grade = B+ (86)

Mike Flanagan
Talk about veteran leadership.. he's up there in age but with age come knowledge and for an offense that was as horrible as ours was.. he will provide GREAT leadership, provide a better center and allow us to move McKinney to his natural position at Center. He's played with Sherman, who's with our staff, so that will make the transition to our team alot easier. He could hold down the center spot for at least 2-3 more years.
Grade = A- (90)

So Far..
OVERALL FA GRADE: B- (82)
Old 03-25-2006   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
SIGNED

Terry Pierce
Good LB who could play Strongside LB or Inside LB.. Good intangibles and at the VERY LEAST provide great backup in a number of positions.
Grade = B- (81)

Jameel Cook

Pass Recieving FB, Not Much of a Blocker but adds another threat to our offense, Giving another dump off option to Carr when all else fails.
Grade = B- (80)

Sage Rosenfels

I'm not a fan of this guy at all.. i mean the dolphins QB lineup was dismal last year and this guy was 3rd up to bat..
Grade = D- (68)

Kevin Walters
6'3, 214lbs Sure Handed.. In all honesty i havent heard much from this guy but how could you with the likes of Chad Johnson, Housmezadah (sp?) and Chris Henry on the team with you.. but judging from what the scouts are saying about him and his hands I think he could end up being the complement to Andre Johnson. And a Big Sure Handed Target for Carr to Throw too. Lets have him and Mathis battle for the 2 spot and see how it turns out..
Grade= B- (82)

Anthony Weaver

This guys is STRONG at the point of attack and he did help clear the way for a strong Raven's LB corp when he was with them. Facing numerous double and triple teams in their 3-4 should've helped him prepare for going to 4-3 where 1 on 1s happen a lot more often.. speciality is run stuffing but I really believe that he could give us about 7-10 sacks a year in our defense.
Grade= B (85)

Sam Cowart
Veteran Leadership that our Defense was missing last year is now here.. He can really stop the run big time.. Could end up with 110-130 tackles for us.. and have The Bear and Travis Johnson in the middle our run defense should be patched up alot more..
Grade = B (84)

Jeb Putzier
Averaged 13 yards per catch, played with Kube so he knows exactly what's going on in this offense and he could not only help the O-Line with blocking Techinique in this new system but he could help the rest of the offense's transition even easier cause he's been there and done that. Great intangibles good reciever and a good blocker
Grade = B+ (86)

Mike Flanagan
Talk about veteran leadership.. he's up there in age but with age come knowledge and for an offense that was as horrible as ours was.. he will provide GREAT leadership, provide a better center and allow us to move McKinney to his natural position at Center. He's played with Sherman, who's with our staff, so that will make the transition to our team alot easier. He could hold down the center spot for at least 2-3 more years.
Grade = A- (90)

So Far..
OVERALL FA GRADE: B- (82)
Are you a teacher??
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

considering our reputation and record as a team, i would add a 5 point curve
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #10
Nighthawk
All Pro

It's a low B or maybe a little better. Improved the team at several key positions, but the improvements are incremental, not extraordinary. I like it so far. Shows a real orderly football mind at work. Congrats to the FO.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #11
Dunta_23
All Pro

Id say B+....havent made 1 bad move yet IMO
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #12
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

I say B+ if we get another good Oline (epsically LT) A-. Alot better than capers ever did though.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #13
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Alot better than capers ever did though.
If your grade was just between Capers and Kubiak - even on a curve - Kubiak would get an A+. :yahoo Comparing those two is like pitting a kid who rides the short bus against the National Merit Finalist.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #14
RB5
Rookie

Low A. They were able to get what should be solid players that can step in and fill holes immediately. Cowart and Flanagan bring much needed leadership and Putzier already knows the system. Your getting things stats really don't measure.

They did all this coming off a 2-14 season without really overpaying. The draft could make this team very interesting, to say the least. Pretty impressed so far.
RB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Compared to every other off season we have had.... A++!!

Its a whole nother feel these days...and I like it.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #16
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Terry Pierce: Special team player at best. Grade = D (65)
Jameel Cook: Suppose to be a receiving FB, but he only had 7 catches in the each of the past two years. I don’t see how this helped us. Grade = C- (72)
Sage Rosenfels: Ragone is probably better then this guy. Grade = C- (72)
Kevin Walters: This is actually a downgrade from Gaffney. Still don’t have a proven no. 2 receiver. Grade= C- (71)
Anthony Weaver: Filling in a hole with a journeyman. Grade= C+ (78)
Sam Cowart: Journeyman middle linebacker who has fallen off in recent years. Grade = C (76)
Jeb Putzier: Finally, an acquisition I like. Grade = B (86)
Mike Flanagan: Another acquisition I like. Would get a better grade if Flanagan wasn’t so old nor hurt so often. Grade = B- (82)

So Far..
OVERALL FA GRADE: C (75) Still, this is an upgrade from last year.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #17
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
Anthony Weaver: Filling in a hole with a journeyman. Grade= C+ (78)
Are you saying Weaver is a journeyman?? He's 26 and played for one team his entire career. Hardly a journeyman at all.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would go B-. This has been our best FA season to date, not including, expansion year, with the way we have filled needs with average to good players and not breaking the bank. Cass deserves a bunch of credit in my opinion. Now it is up to Kubiak to do what Capers and staff could not do and that is put together an executable gameplan that the players will tacitly sign off on and have fun finally.
Old 03-26-2006   #19
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm going with B- the main reason i say B- instead of an A is because yet again we have failed to land a proven number 2 receiver
Old 03-26-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

C+
I think they brought in some decently talented role players to fill some holes for us while we continue to build thru the draft, but we didn't really bring in any great players. Jeb Putzier is probably my favorite move because he filled a big need and it means we don't need to look for a TE high in the draft, and I think releasing Gary Walker could end up helping the team in terms of locker room chemistry, and once his signing bonus is off the cap next year we'll have a nice bit of cap room to make some more moves. I would have liked to see them go after one top-end talent on both sides of the ball as a longer-term solution as a significant player, but they had to overpay for many of them as it is, so we'll see what they can do with the team they've assembled before passing final judgment.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read