Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2006   #1
flappst
Rookie

Default Positions as of now

As of right now this is how I see us starting out in training camp. I know we will possible sign a couple more free agents and we still have the draft, but as of right now this is how I see it. The players in brackets are at the positions that I see us upgrading. Make corrections if there is something that I messed up on, and I was just wondering what you all thought.

...........................[Brown]
.................................................. ................Earl
...........................Greenwood...Cowart..... ..Wong
Robinson.............Peek.......Smith.......Payne. ......Weaver............[Buchanon]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnson...........Pitts..McKinney.Flanagan.[Weigart].[Wade]..Putzier
.............................................Carr. ..........................................[Walter]
.............................................Cook
.............................................Davis
flappst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
Samer
Veteran

Not bad at all, much better than last year...my ideal situation for this year, and I dont see why it cant be a possibility would be to trade the #1 pick to Green Bay for #5, and drafting AJ Hawk, and Donald Driver and a couple more picks

...........................Hawk...Cowart..... ..Wong
Robinson.............Peek.......Smith.......Payne. ......Weaver............[Buchanon]
.............................................Carr. .................................................. ........................................[Driver]
Old 03-24-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappst
As of right now this is how I see us starting out in training camp. I know we will possible sign a couple more free agents and we still have the draft, but as of right now this is how I see it. The players in brackets are at the positions that I see us upgrading. Make corrections if there is something that I messed up on, and I was just wondering what you all thought.

...........................Greenwood...Cowart..... ..Wong
.............................................Carr. ..........................................[Walter]
As of now, Moran Norris is still the FB. The rest looks okay.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #4
Dunta_23
All Pro

...........................Greenwood...Cowart..... ..Orr
Robinson.............Peek.......TJ.......Smith.... ..Weaver............[Buchanon]
Johnson........Pitts.McKinney.Flanagan.[Weary].[Weigart]..Putzier
.............................................Carr. .........................................[Walter]
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Default making strides

This offseason is making strides even more than any fan would have expected. I do not see them looking at another WR in FA. They will probably draft one, but it is going to be later rounds if they do, They are going to focus on building the offensive line and defensive backs, maybe a DE and another Linebacker with their picks.

Walter is going to compete for the #2 WR position and as hard as he works and the talent he has he will be the #2 here. He was a better WR than Kelly washington and I believe he is just as good as TJ in Cinci. He was caught up in a numbers game. Kevin is finally going to get his opportunity to be a #2 WR on a growing team that looks like it will be a contender if it drafts as well as they have done in FA this offseason.

I can understand your frustrations as a losing team and want the "big name" WR because you have heard he was good on another team, but give the guy a chance. you'll see. Heck, if everybody treated Tom Brady this way, NE may not have been to the Superbowl 4 out of 5 years.

This guy has flown under the radar for too long.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange

I can understand your frustrations as a losing team and want the "big name" WR because you have heard he was good on another team, but give the guy a chance. you'll see. Heck, if everybody treated Tom Brady this way, NE may not have been to the Superbowl 4 out of 5 years.
three of four
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #7
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
three of four
out of all that you pick the 4 of 5 to 3 of 4???
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2006   #8
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think Wand will be our starting RT he is much better suited for this scheme than Wade and I think he will surprise everybody he is still young and with Wade as backup I don't really see the reason to draft a tackle early in the draft. Weigart on the other hand is in a contract yr. so I could see us easily taking a guard in the third or fourth rd. to groom and step in for him next yr. This will open up some cap space next yr. and upgrade the position. Next yr. I see us drafting a tackle.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #9
samomin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
I could see us easily taking a guard in the third or fourth rd. to groom and step in for him next yr. This will open up some cap space next yr. and upgrade the position. Next yr. I see us drafting a tackle.
Haven't we groomed Fred Weary or Seth Wand? Wouldn't these guys be better for us to groom since they have experience? What I mean to say is how long are we going to keep drafting guys to groom to be eventual starters. I was hoping to see some starters emerge (ones that didn't start last year) this season. At the very least I hope to see some backups compete for the starting job in training camp.
Old 03-25-2006   #10
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by samomin
Haven't we groomed Fred Weary or Seth Wand? Wouldn't these guys be better for us to groom since they have experience? What I mean to say is how long are we going to keep drafting guys to groom to be eventual starters. I was hoping to see some starters emerge (ones that didn't start last year) this season. At the very least I hope to see some backups compete for the starting job in training camp.
Yeah I think Weary is good but after Weigart leaves than McKinney is also getting old and you need a third guard to be a backup. Even though we have a decent core group it is always good to have depth.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #11
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Our only real need now is a FS. Brown is good, but he is a SS. On offense a real number 2 reciever would be nice also.
Old 03-25-2006   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
I think Wand will be our starting RT he is much better suited for this scheme than Wade...
I think you're right about that, but I'd sure like to see D'Brick in a Texans uniform and have Pitts go back to RT by next year, if not sooner.

Also, everyone keeps putting Peek at weakside DE and I really think Babin is going to beat him out.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #13
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Why would we take AJ hawk when we just signed ANOTHER linebacker and already have depth there. I see us looking more now to improve the offense.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #14
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
have Pitts go back to RT by next year, if not sooner.
Pitts has never played RT. He will ultimately end up at OLG when we get our Pace/Boselli type LT drafted. Till then he is the best LT we have, has played almost every down in the Texans history, and is doing a fairly good job.

with Pitts and McKinney on the left side I am more worried about the right this season than anything else. Hodgden did a decent job and we just signed Flanagan so that should give us both depth and experience at Center.

The right side of the line though is still anyone's guess at who will be the starters.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I think you're right about that, but I'd sure like to see D'Brick in a Texans uniform and have Pitts go back to RT by next year, if not sooner.

Also, everyone keeps putting Peek at weakside DE and I really think Babin is going to beat him out.
Thats how I think it should shake down. It won't, but it should. I garentuee that D'brick would win the LT spot from Pitts within this first week of TC. Also, you seem to be one of only a few people, including me, who think babin will be our weakside DE instead of Peek. Bonus points for you!

p.s. Pitts has never played RT, thus he will not be moving back.
Old 03-25-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63868 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
This is the Texans o-line roster from the home page:

Center
McKinney, Steve
Washington, Todd
Hodgdon, Drew
Walter, Tyson
Flanagan **added**

Guard
Weary, Fred

Guard/Tackle
Pitts, Chester
Wiegert, Zach

Tackle
Jones, Garrick
Wade, Todd
Wand, Seth

I have labeled the players by positions that are listed on the roster. I thought both McKinney and Washington were guard/centers, but for this discussion that really doesn’t matter.

We currently have 11 o-lineman on the roster. Training camp will thin that down some. If we assume Washington, Walter, and Jones get cut before the final roster is set, that leaves us with 8 lineman.

If we sign one free agent and draft one, that leaves 10 lineman on our roster. We normally dress about 8 on game days.

I don’t know all the rules for using the practice squad to protect players, but if we add 2 more lineman through whatever means we are going to have to make some deeper cuts.
I'm resurrecting this post from another thread, and I've changed some numbers throughout the post since we've picked up Flanagan.

This could be done for all of our positions. The question is: who gets cut to make up for the FA and draft acquisitions? We are going to be seeing some more familiar names leaving.
Old 03-25-2006   #17
bdiddy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samomin
I believe that either Wand or Weary will be a starter next year along the line. It depends on a number of things (1) which one of the two preforms better in training camp, (2) which positions is Weigart better at guard or tackle, and (3) the coaches believe in the continued growth of the line with any one given player.

If Wand comes in and has a great training camp this means that the team would move Weigart back to RG and have Wand start at RT with Wade as the backup. Otherwise, Wand will be the backup LT (as of now, might change after the draft).

If Weary comes in and continues to improve as he did late last season it could keep Weigart at RT and Wand as a backup.

Both Weary and Wand move well for their size. I would say that Weary has better technique than Wand, but Wand has more overall potential. It will be a good competitive training camp. I like it.

With the free agent signings I think we draft only one OL this year (probably follow the same pattern for next several years). The staff will groom Weary, Wand, and Hodgdon. I would look for us to add a guard in the draft seeing that we have Wand and Wade at the back up tackle positions as we currently stand. I think the team will look to draft RT next year as Weigart is getting older and Wade is likely to be cut.
Old 03-25-2006   #18
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Walter, Tyson
Walter is already gone.
Old 03-25-2006   #19
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

so is gerrick jones he signed with the atlanta falcons back in feb.

as far as the offensive line is concerned...why continue to draft guys to groom because personally i believe if we keep having drafts where the a certain position in the draft is deep at say tackle this year you should make sure you draft one of the tackles...IMO every ball club should be drafting atleast one o-lineman a year if not more...this year i would not be surprised to see the texans draft up to three offensive lineman...two tackles and a guard...with every sign pointing towards jonathan scott in round two i would expect us to use two second day picks 5th round and 6th round on guys like michael toudouze from tcu and chris kuper from north dakota state...then we will probably loot the UDFA's this year for guys like will allen from UT and some other o-lineman who dropped off of radar due to their lack of size
Old 03-25-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63868 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
...this year i would not be surprised to see the texans draft up to three offensive lineman...two tackles and a guard...
This is the point of my question. If Pitts, McKinney, Flanagan, and Weary will be on the team for sure (I include Weary because we just signed him) AND we draft 3 rookies as you say, that is seven players. Say we have 8 on the active roster and one on the practice squad. That's 9. So out of Weigert, Wade, Wand, Hodgdon you have to cut two.

I don't think we'll be drafting 3 linemen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read