Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2006   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where are all of the people complaining about FA?

To all the people who were slamming the new coaching staff about not being active enough in FA, I would like to hear how you think we are doing now.

I think we are doing great in this offseason, I think Kubiak is making alot of good moves at getting this team off to a great start. There were alot of us that have been saying, just have faith in the new staff and be patient.

It certainly looks like good things are happening, we have signed some quality players, and we still have the draft.

So let's hear it from all the people who were ready for "Another Dismal Season", I want to know how you feel now. Starting to get hungry for some Fried Crow and a side of Humble Pie perhaps?

You gotta admit, things are looking good!
Old 03-24-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
So let's hear it from all the people who were ready for "Another Dismal Season", I want to know how you feel now. Starting to get hungry for some Fried Crow and a side of Humble Pie perhaps?

You may have misunderstood. As I recall, they were predicitng another "dismall" season. Until I know what dismall means, I'm not going to comment.
Old 03-24-2006   #3
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
To all the people who were slamming the new coaching staff about not being active enough in FA, I would like to hear how you think we are doing now.

I think we are doing great in this offseason, I think Kubiak is making alot of good moves at getting this team off to a great start. There were alot of us that have been saying, just have faith in the new staff and be patient.

It certainly looks like good things are happening, we have signed some quality players, and we still have the draft.

You gotta admit, things are looking good!
I think those folks will respond about the same time all the 's admit they were wrong about last year, so don't hold your breath.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I'm not a huge fan of some of the moves they've made (as much for the salary they've paid the players as much as the player selection itself) and my personal strategy in free agency would have been a little different, but overall I've seen some moves that appear to be productive and I will trust that the coaches are getting guys that they think will fit their system the best and until I am given sufficient reason to doubt them (as we were given plenty of with the former regime) I will maintain my trust/hope in their ways.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty much with Mork on this. We signed a few role players and this week really helps shore up some massive roster holes, but you can only do so much in one off season. Guys like Putzier, Walters and Cowart are role players. Good signings since we had holes, but they are certainly upgradeable if the right players are available when our picks come up. I'm still scratching my head over Weaver and Rosenfels.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'm pretty much with Mork on this. We signed a few role players and this week really helps shore up some massive roster holes, but you can only do so much in one off season. Guys like Putzier, Walters and Cowart are role players. Good signings since we had holes, but they are certainly upgradeable if the right players are available when our picks come up. I'm still scratching my head over Weaver and Rosenfels.

I have got a feeling Weaver is going to have a very productive year. Flanigan and Putzier are great signings IMO.

I think Kevin Walter will turn out to be a good choice as well, he's probably itching to show what he can do after being on deep WR corps like Cinci's.

Rosenfels, well I guess Kubiak sees something in him, hopefully can develope into a quality back up. Kubiak's track record in this arena is encouraging.

I see Cowart as a formentioned role player, a nice addition to LB.
Old 03-24-2006   #7
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We are not going to know anything until the middle of next season. We need to get some good quality wins and at least win three games in a row (still hasn't been accomplished by the Texans).

As mentioned by Vinny, you can only do so much in one offseason and I am sure Kubiak has more of a three year horizon of being playoff competitive given current state of the team. Maybe two years if the coaching is completely outstanding and few injuries.

It looks good what they are doing the right thing but you better be ready for a long-haul of two to three years. That's the reasonable expectation.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
I'm still scratching my head over Weaver and Rosenfels.
Rosenfels for sure was a curious addition. I think we overpaid a bit for Weaver, but I like him. He will play every down, is good against the run, and has enough pass-rush skills to merit having him in on 3rd downs (granted as a DT and not a DE). Next year we can spend our 1st rounder on a DE, we can cut Payne, and we will have Weaver able to rotate between LDE, and the two DT positions.

Last edited by TheOgre; 03-24-2006 at 05:10 PM.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #9
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
We are not going to know anything until the middle of next season. We need to get some good quality wins and at least win three games in a row (still hasn't been accomplished by the Texans).

As mentioned by Vinny, you can only do so much in one offseason and I am sure Kubiak has more of a three year horizon of being playoff competitive given current state of the team. Maybe two years if the coaching is completely outstanding and few injuries.

It looks good what they are doing the right thing but you better be ready for a long-haul of two to three years. That's the reasonable expectation.
Indeed. Two to three seasons to implement his system, for the players to grasp it, for drafts and free agency to find players who fit it, etc...It's good to have direction, especially from a guy who knows what it takes to win.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #10
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Default Get this

Quote:

People are not going to like this, but when it happens... you will.

They are not going to take Reggie nor Young. They will trade down picking up a lower pick and I am guessing a 2nd round or 3rd round. I believe they will then take Stud OT Brickshaw or Winston Justice or if lower mario Williams or Jimmy Williams in the first round.

They will then address another CB and LB position with the 2nd round and maybe a WR with the pick they got in the trade down.

personally I believe you add a Bush or Young when you are 1 or 2 pieces away from winning a superbowl. Right now I have to believe Kube wants to solidify mostly Offense (being that he is an offensive minded coach) and also strengthen the defense to ba a top 15-20 would be reputable and with that you can make the playoffs by winning the division!!!

Stick it to em!!!

Don't mess with Texas
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #11
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
I think the expectations of many on this board via free agency was blown way out of proportion. People have no clue of the salary cap and it's effects. Let's get David Givens at Wideout, Julius Peterson at Linebacker, La Charles Bently at Center, Steve Huchinson at Guard, Edge at Running back, Adam Archueta at Safety, and Trade for John Abraham as well. Oh and move up and obtain 2 first round picks to get Reggie/Vince and whomever else we can get in the first round as well as sign everyone, stay under the cap and have everyone in ontime in training camp. That can happen.......in fantasy football, but not when you have real money involved.
Old 03-24-2006   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan

I agree and understand it is results based, and I am anxious to see those results along with my fellow fans. I was addressing activity in FA more so than anything, and especially not the "finished product". I don't want us to just be a blip on the radar, I want us to be a contender, year in and year out.

THere was a lot of complaining about us not ever doing enough in FA, so has that opinion change much?
Old 03-24-2006   #13
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Default y

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
I think the expectations of many on this board via free agency was blown way out of proportion. People have no clue of the salary cap and it's effects. Let's get David Givens at Wideout, Julius Peterson at Linebacker, La Charles Bently at Center, Steve Huchinson at Guard, Edge at Running back, Adam Archueta at Safety, and Trade for John Abraham as well. Oh and move up and obtain 2 first round picks to get Reggie/Vince and whomever else we can get in the first round as well as sign everyone, stay under the cap and have everyone in ontime in training camp. That can happen.......in fantasy football, but not when you have real money involved.

AMEN!!!!
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #14
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange

They are not going to take Reggie nor Young. They will trade down picking up a lower pick and I am guessing a 2nd round or 3rd round. I believe they will then take Stud OT Brickshaw or Winston Justice or if lower mario Williams or Jimmy Williams in the first round.

They will then address another CB and LB position with the 2nd round and maybe a WR with the pick they got in the trade down.

personally I believe you add a Bush or Young when you are 1 or 2 pieces away from winning a superbowl. Right now I have to believe Kube wants to solidify mostly Offense (being that he is an offensive minded coach) and also strengthen the defense to ba a top 15-20 would be reputable and with that you can make the playoffs by winning the division!!!

Stick it to em!!!

Don't mess with Texas

We'll see. The thing with a Bush selection is that gives you the chance for an immediate impact. Think Kubiak doesn't have some ideas as to how to use him in his offense? He gives you versatility. He gives a franchise still looking for an identity and coming off a horrid season some buzz. Yes, taking Young would do that too, but Bush can be on that field on opening day. Bush would go a long way to getting that offense to above average status soon. I'd be more inclined to say they weren't going to take him if they hadn't made the moves they've made in free agency. They are building something and Bush is going to be at the heart of it.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
Close this thread because this sums a lot of it up rather nicely.

etc...

Weaver - nice signing, too much jack
Walter - nice signing, McCaffrey II will surprise some people
Putzier - nice signing, clutch player fills a glaring need
Cook - take him or leave him, although Kyle Johnson II adds a slightly different dimension to the FB position
Rosenfels - head scratcher
Flanagan - IF he can stay healthy, a solid pickup.
Cowart - nice signing IF he can stay healthy and depending on the $$$ which I haven't heard details. Fills another glaring need.

Last edited by aj.; 03-24-2006 at 04:56 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I wasn't one of the doubters..... I've always thought FA was the route you go to fix your team now, and the draft is used with more of an eye on the future. What I like.... impressed about actually, with what Kubes has done, is that he's signed FAs from succesful systems....GB, TB, Denver,Baltimore........ & these guys are so young really, it's almost like draft picks without the risk. He also hasn't reached for "star" players..... Buchanon.
Then he's brought in veteran players, Flanagan & Cowart..... Flanagan also from succesful systems..... both having leadership roles in their older systems..... I'm really happy with what we will put on the field in 2006. I'll be getting season tickets for the first time this year(VInce, Vince, Vince) and was a bit worried about how the team would play. I'm still a little concerned, but looking forward to it as well.
Old 03-24-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

etc...

Cowart - nice signing IF he can stay healthy and depending on the $$$ which I haven't heard details. Fills another glaring need.
How much should we have paid Weaver?? What is your basis for this??

Same thing with Rosenfels........ who did you have in mind??
Old 03-24-2006   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
How much should we have paid Weaver?? What is your basis for this??
Darren Howard signed for less than Weaver, has many more sacks, and is versatile as well. There is no doubt we overpaid for Weaver. He is a nice player but he likely should have gotten about 65-70% of what we gave him.
Old 03-24-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

etc...

Walter - nice signing, McCaffrey II will surprise some people
Putzier - nice signing, clutch player fills a glaring need
Cook - take him or leave him, although Kyle Johnson II adds a slightly different dimension to the FB position
My thoughts:

Weaver - he is a nice run-stopping DE but he isn't going to provide much of a pass rushing threat. I think we overpaid a lot for him, and I don't mind us getting him but I'd rather it have been as a more athletic DT rather than a DE, especially since there are so many big DEs in this draft that are more athletic and would provide a better pass rushing presence while still being a strong run stopper, namely Mario Williams, but there are plenty of others. I don't expect him to get more than 4-5 sacks a year but if he can draw attention away from Peek on the other side of the line to free him up for more sacks and pick up 40+ tackles and help our run defense I won't mind other than I still think we paid him too much and he won't be able to provide the overall production to warrant that kind of money, but that's the way of free agency.

Walter - Don't know much about him, 30 total catches in three seasons doesn't sound real good. He's a big target, but is slow (around 4.65 40) but is supposed to have pretty good hands. I don't see him being a very good #2 but think he could be a pretty good option as our #3 guy, so hopefully they're not closing the books on adding a quality WR somewhere in there. I have no problems adding Walter for WR depth, but he shouldn't be counted on to be a good #2 guy for us and should only be expected to be a solid 3rd option, we need to look elsewhere for our true #2 guy. I expect about 25-50 catches a year out of him depending on who else we bring in at WR (more towards the 50 end if he's our #2 guy, less if we bring in a more solid #2 or Armstrong emerges).

Putzier - Pretty solid TE, he has played for Kubiak the last several years and knows his system. He's nothing to get especially excited about but he's a better option than anyone we currently and we didn't overpay him. Pretty solid pickup, I expect 35-45 catches for 400-500 yards out of him.

Cook - Decent FB, more athletic than Moran Norris, which is what Denver's system usually calls for, and likely means Norris is gone after camp. I personally don't like paying a FB $1 million a year, but if he's that important then ok. I don't expect much production out of him in terms of statistics, especially if we draft Bush (Bush and Davis should be getting 98% of the carries anyways) but Cook could end up getting a decent amount of catches.

Rosenfels - Well, he also hasn't produced much throughout his career, but if Kubiak thinks he's his kind of QB then I'm fine with them bringing him in. He obviously isn't going to seriously challenge for the starting spot but if Kubiak is confident enough in Carr that he is their #1 guys, then I have no problems saving some money and getting QBs that are purely meant as a backup.

Flanagan - I haven't seen enough of him to really know and OLinemen don't really have any stats to look at, but Sherman coached him in Green Bay and obviously liked him and he is probably a better short-term option at C than Hodgdon is. I think they overpaid him a little too, but if he's going to be a solid starter for at least two out of those three years then I don't care about the money. They still need to find a longer-term solution, whether that be Hodgdon or some other new player.

Cowart - Fairly solid MLB although he is definitely aging. I don't know how much money they paid but he adds veteran depth to our LB core and is a fairly solid player in there. He definitely is not a long-term solution at MLB, but he's solid enough to fill in for a year or two or backup Wong if they decide to align them that way. He should be a solid acquisition but is also not anything to write home about and hopefully they did not overpay him.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange

Stick it to em!!!

Don't mess with Texas
I hope you are right in the direction you described.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read