Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2006   #1
Akhorahil
Rookie

Default will the real GM please stand up....

ok sorry for the stupid title.... couldnt think of anything.. hehe.
Im not one to throw imagination into it all.... but Ive been thinking about this for a long time.....

Do you think Dan Reeves will be our next GM?

apologies if this has already been discussed.
Akhorahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Dan Reeves doesn't even work with the team anymore.

No he will not be the next GM.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

In a nutshell: nope.

DR has no desire to be a GM, IIRC. He makes pretty good money, from what I understand, just being a consultant. And there is no heat on him from the public, media, or front office about his advice, because he's basically just working for Mr. McNair.

Can't say that I blame him. Reeves has experienced great success at all levels, so there is nothing for him to prove.
Old 03-24-2006   #4
el toro
All Pro

Well, good things have happened since he was brought in to give his advice.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if Casserly is staying with the team in a transitional role right now and will gracefully resign (as opposed to all the re-signing we've seen recently) after the draft. I think it will be his choice rather than at McNair's request. I also wouldn't be surprised if he stayed on. I don't think he is blamed by his superiors for last season's debacle.

I may be all wrong on this. My Magic 8-ball keeps telling me to "ask again later".
Old 03-24-2006   #6
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
Dan Reeves doesn't even work with the team anymore.

No he will not be the next GM.
Why do think that? Just the other day they were saying that Cas and Dan were working on the draft. My understanding is that unless a head coaching job shows itself to him he is going to consult here through this entire year.
Old 03-24-2006   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I may be all wrong on this. My Magic 8-ball keeps telling me to "ask again later".
Listen to that 8-ball, them thingies never lie!! :=)
Old 03-24-2006   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly has always been the GM.

It's just a difference in coaching staff.

If you were GM, would you (A) Ram-rod your own choices of players down a coach's throat, and then when it blows up with a 1-15 record you're the one getting blamed? Or would you (B) Work with Dom Capers and give him the players Capers wants at the positions and with the style Capers wants...letting the blame land where it should: on the coach's head?

The bend-don't-break attitude and the keep-it-close-till-the-4th-quarter philosophy is what BROKE this team and its players, not a GM who gobbled up horrible players. Two years ago, every game was a winnable game until the last game at home vs. Cleveland...and that's when Dom's philosophy blew up (again) and the players had had enough. You could tell it in their body language, and the rest is history.

So many people here have bashed our GM and they don't even stop to think for a second that the guy is a real pro who keeps us under the cap and does his job with character. But you'd never know it by reading the posts around here.

New coach = new style

New coach = acquiring players who actually FIT the style.

What a shocker...

Last edited by GP; 03-24-2006 at 05:12 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
What a shocker...
what a relief
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #10
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Quote:
The bend-don't-break attitude and the keep-it-close-till-the-4th-quarter philosophy is what BROKE this team and its players, not a GM who gobbled up horrible players. Two years ago, every game was a winnable game until the last game at home vs. Cleveland...and that's when Dom's philosophy blew up (again) and the players had had enough. You could tell it in their body language, and the rest is history.

So many people here have bashed our GM and they don't even stop to think for a second that the guy is a real pro who keeps us under the cap and does his job with character. But you'd never know it by reading the posts around here.
Agree 100%.............great post.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Casserly has always been the GM.

If you were GM, would you (A) Ram-rod your own choices of players down a coach's throat, and then when it blows up with a 1-15 record you're the one getting blamed? Or would you (B) Work with Dom Capers and give him the players Capers wants at the positions and with the style Capers wants...letting the blame land where it should: on the coach's head?

New coach = new style

New coach = acquiring players who actually FIT the style.

What a shocker...
uhhhh, eeee...yeah.... that's the ticket......... Sure, we weren't in Cap Hell, but don't we have another guy that takes care of that?? Ferron?? The coach should tell me what he needs(if I'm the GM)... he can tell me who he prefers, but I'm going to be the one to OK the contract...... I'm going to be the one who says what the max I will offer said player. If I'm paying someone top ten money, but he isn't worth top 20 money, I can't see how that isn't my problem..... doesn't matter if we are winning or not. If I'm going to go the safe route, and only consider who the coaches tell me to consider, then what does he need me for?? Especially if I have a finance guy doing all the figurin..

Capers tells me he needs an offensive tackle, I'll give him a folder on ten guys I think we should pursue..... I'll rank them, and I'll put a money tag on them.... most likely based on my ranking..... Capers can then pick & rank three of the ten. I will then negotiate those contracts. If I get through all three, and I can't get them to play in Houston for the money I'm offering, I'll start all over again.... Now, I'm not going to loose a guy if we're close....... if he's within 25% of what my Max, and he is the guy coach wanted, I'll get him..... if not, NExxxxxt.
Old 03-24-2006   #12
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

great post!!
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"uhhhh, eeee...yeah.... that's the ticket......... Sure, we weren't in Cap Hell, but don't we have another guy that takes care of that?? Ferron?? The coach should tell me what he needs(if I'm the GM)... he can tell me who he prefers, but I'm going to be the one to OK the contract...... I'm going to be the one who says what the max I will offer said player. If I'm paying someone top ten money, but he isn't worth top 20 money, I can't see how that isn't my problem..... doesn't matter if we are winning or not. If I'm going to go the safe route, and only consider who the coaches tell me to consider, then what does he need me for?? Especially if I have a finance guy doing all the figurin..

Capers tells me he needs an offensive tackle, I'll give him a folder on ten guys I think we should pursue..... I'll rank them, and I'll put a money tag on them.... most likely based on my ranking..... Capers can then pick & rank three of the ten. I will then negotiate those contracts. If I get through all three, and I can't get them to play in Houston for the money I'm offering, I'll start all over again.... Now, I'm not going to loose a guy if we're close....... if he's within 25% of what my Max, and he is the guy coach wanted, I'll get him..... if not, NExxxxxt." -- thunderkyss

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting philosophy.

I am of the opinion that Casserly is a coach's GM and gets the coach the players the coach wants. How that all shakes out is a mystery to me, but I don't think Casserly brain-farted for four years and just started reeling in quality players (like we have the past few weeks) in free agency and it's just out of the blue that this is happening.

I envision Casserly and Capers going at it in heated debates over this sort of stuff with Casserly relenting and getting Dom what Dom wanted...and telling McNair that it was against his (Casserly's) judgment but that it's Capers' ship to sail or sink. You play devil's advocate with the coach, challenge his request for certain players you think are not a valid option, and then you back off and give in if the coach is passionate enough about it. At least that's the kind of GM I would be. It's ultimately the coach's team.

I mean, what GM holds a coach hostage and determines what the coach gets? It's why some coaches want to wear the coach AND the GM hat at the same time (Shanahan, for example)...a head coach can't cook the dinner with only what the GM allows him to purchase for the recipe (Parcells). And franchises that operate in such a manner where the GM lords over the coach do not attract quality coaches because of this very reason. Casserly is a coach's GM...and that's a pretty good thing when you get a GOOD coach on the team. Hopefully Kubiak is the guy to get it done.

I guess we'll find out.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I think Reeves will be gone as soon as the draft is over.

Casserly likes to get the players his coaches want, and now he has new coaches. It wouldn't have mattered what his style was with Capers, though. If Capers misused the players he wanted, I can only imagine what he would have done if he was working strictly with GM-selected players.
Old 03-24-2006   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

At McNair's news conference where Reeves was introduced as a consultant, John McClain asked Reeves, "How's your health?".

Reeves: "Not bad considering. I got a couple of knee replacements coming up in the near future".

That told me right there that he doesn't have the slightest interest in being any team's GM, not to mention any position where he has to stand up a lot.

He'll be here for the draft at the very latest. Then, it's back to that cush job at NFL Sirius Radio.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

*Stands Up*
Old 03-24-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So, can all the Casserly hating come to a halt? For every bad pick, he made a good one or made up for it. What he hasn't been good at until now is FA signings, which is mostly credited to the coaching and system in place.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #18
Tayton
Veteran

Greenwood and Buchanan.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So many people here have bashed our GM and they don't even stop to think for a second that the guy is a real pro who keeps us under the cap ...
Dan Ferens is the VP of Contract Negotiations and the Texans cap guy, not Casserly.

One of the typical roles of the NFL GM is to be a caretaker of the franchise - the owner's advocate who makes sure that a head coach doesn't run amok with self-interest personnel decisions that could jeopardize the long term future of the organization. There should be healthy tension by design between GM and head coach. The GM and head coach work together but the GM typically makes the final call on major decisions.

Charley doesn't have close to that authority now, if he ever did. Apparantly all he's ever done (from what he has said about the past 4 years), is to get the players that the coaches want - within the cap limits of the team. A NFL head coach's order desk clerk if you will. That, plus run the scouting staff and rank players.

He's not a strong GM (think strong mayor in city govt.) by the owner's design.

Last edited by aj.; 03-25-2006 at 06:50 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
"uhhhh, eeee...yeah.... that's the ticket......... Sure, we weren't in Cap Hell, but don't we have another guy that takes care of that?? Ferron?? The coach should tell me what he needs(if I'm the GM)... he can tell me who he prefers, but I'm going to be the one to OK the contract...... I'm going to be the one who says what the max I will offer said player. If I'm paying someone top ten money, but he isn't worth top 20 money, I can't see how that isn't my problem..... doesn't matter if we are winning or not. If I'm going to go the safe route, and only consider who the coaches tell me to consider, then what does he need me for?? Especially if I have a finance guy doing all the figurin..

Capers tells me he needs an offensive tackle, I'll give him a folder on ten guys I think we should pursue..... I'll rank them, and I'll put a money tag on them.... most likely based on my ranking..... Capers can then pick & rank three of the ten. I will then negotiate those contracts. If I get through all three, and I can't get them to play in Houston for the money I'm offering, I'll start all over again.... Now, I'm not going to loose a guy if we're close....... if he's within 25% of what my Max, and he is the guy coach wanted, I'll get him..... if not, NExxxxxt." -- thunderkyss

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting philosophy.

I am of the opinion that Casserly is a coach's GM and gets the coach the players the coach wants. How that all shakes out is a mystery to me, but I don't think Casserly brain-farted for four years and just started reeling in quality players (like we have the past few weeks) in free agency and it's just out of the blue that this is happening.

I envision Casserly and Capers going at it in heated debates over this sort of stuff with Casserly relenting and getting Dom what Dom wanted...and telling McNair that it was against his (Casserly's) judgment but that it's Capers' ship to sail or sink. You play devil's advocate with the coach, challenge his request for certain players you think are not a valid option, and then you back off and give in if the coach is passionate enough about it. At least that's the kind of GM I would be. It's ultimately the coach's team.

I mean, what GM holds a coach hostage and determines what the coach gets? It's why some coaches want to wear the coach AND the GM hat at the same time (Shanahan, for example)...a head coach can't cook the dinner with only what the GM allows him to purchase for the recipe (Parcells). And franchises that operate in such a manner where the GM lords over the coach do not attract quality coaches because of this very reason. Casserly is a coach's GM...and that's a pretty good thing when you get a GOOD coach on the team. Hopefully Kubiak is the guy to get it done.

I guess we'll find out.
I think we are on the same page. I understand they were Capers' picks, I'm just saying some of the money we paid for those picks is ridiculous(sp). I wouldn't shove picks down Capes' throat, but I won't over pay to get the guys he wants...... I've got no problem accepting responsibilty for doing the job I'm being paid well to do. If I'm just going to get the guys the coach wants, at all cost, then that makes Capers' GM/Coach, & I'm just collecting a paycheck.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read