Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2006   #1
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Default Thats all? (should the Texans sign additional free agents and who is left?)

Yo so far in FA we have had good picks, by taking Sam Cowart,Mike Flanagan, Travis Weaver,and Jameel Cook.

We also kept our sack leader, Shantee Orr, Decent LB, DaShon Polk, Back-up S Ramon Walker, and another LB Frank Chamberlain, so ya pretty good so far, but my Real Question is, Should the Texans be ready to sign anymore Free Agents, or are we pretty well set till the Draft.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
el toro
All Pro

They signed Putzier and Rosenfels too.

Also, I thought Weaver went by "Anthony"?
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #3
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

O yea!
Old 03-24-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

A 2nd WR is a must, IMO. Armstrong, Walter, or Mathis aren't #2 WR's. Hopefully we pick up talks with Burleson or maybe Javon Walker or Eric Moulds wouldn't mind being #2 behind AJ. We'll see. I wouldn't mind trading our second #3 and #5 pick to move into the 1st round and get Santonio Holmes. I don't think that's likely though.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
A 2nd WR is a must, IMO. Armstrong, Walter, or Mathis aren't #2 WR's. Hopefully we pick up talks with Burleson or maybe Javon Walker or Eric Moulds wouldn't mind being #2 behind AJ. We'll see. I wouldn't mind trading our second #3 and #5 pick to move into the 1st round and get Santonio Holmes. I don't think that's likely though.

I'd rather see a vet for the #2. Not too seasoned, of course.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't mind trading our second #3 and #5 pick to move into the 1st round and get Santonio Holmes.
And he would instantly be labeled "Santonio Babin" by about 99% of this forum.
Old 03-24-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
And he would instantly be labeled "Santonio Babin" by about 99% of this forum.
But at least most of us on here have heard of Holmes. When we got Babin I instantly said "Who?!?"
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2006   #8
titan hater
Veteran

Default Who is Left?

How about Nat Clements or Carles Woodson at the other CB? What about Safety? Would Tank WIlliams fit the bill? And Finally, what about OLB? Is Lavar Arrington still out there? Help!! I am so confused and excited after all the recent additions...
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #9
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing us take one more OLman out of FA, he does have to be great, just one that can either start, or challenge our starter, to push him to get better

(Both Positives)Hurray!
Old 03-24-2006   #10
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Um... Tank Williams already agreed to terms with the Vikings, so no on that one, and Charles Woodson charges to much, so no on that one too, so im not sure either. :brickwall
Old 03-24-2006   #11
Dunta_23
All Pro

I'd have to agree that all the moves weve made this offseason have been good so I have trust in the front office and coaches that if they arent looking at WR, CB, and S in FA, then they are priorities in the draft
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #12
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan hater
How about Nat Clements or Carles Woodson at the other CB? What about Safety? Would Tank WIlliams fit the bill? And Finally, what about OLB? Is Lavar Arrington still out there? Help!! I am so confused and excited after all the recent additions...
I would love for us to get Nat Clements and Nate Burleson. Draft a few o-linemen, MLB, safety and wr in the draft.
Old 03-24-2006   #13
whiskeyrbl

With these signings if we take Bush #1,I think we look at a WR at #33,CB at# 65,FS at #66,then BPA'S the rest of the way.
Old 03-24-2006   #14
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Default hmmm

Quote:

what make you think Walter is not a #2 WR? On the Texans he will probably be your #2 WR and you may just be shocked at what you will get.

Walter was a steal, but do you honestly think that they went after Kevin on the FIRST DAY of free agency and made him an offer that would almost guarantee Cinci would not match. and let him be the #3 WR. Very generous money, but that is not why Kevin came here and I am sure Kevin is going to challenge that #2 WR spot, IT is just like him.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Burleson would be an ok WR but I don't want to have to give up one of our 3rd rounders to get him in addition to overpaying him.

Javon Walker has been a nice WR and is young but coming off his knee injury I'd be a little concerned, but I wouldn't mind getting him at a reasonable price.

Eric Moulds is a no, he's been a good WR but is on the decline and is asking for $7 million a year so until he drops that salary requirement at least in half I wouldn't look at him.

If some team is dumb enough to give us a mid-1st round pick for one of our 3rds and our 5th and we can get Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson (or Eric Winston or someone at another position) then I'm all for it, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
With these signings if we take Bush #1,I think we look at a WR at #33,CB at# 65,FS at #66,then BPA'S the rest of the way.
I don't know if I agree with that, I think Bush at #1 will likely mean a defensive player at #33, and unless Chad Jackson, Santonio Holmes, or maybe Sinorice Moss falls to #33 then we should not look to get one there, none of the other WRs are worth that high of a pick and there's not much difference in who we would be able to grab at #33 and who will be around at #66 and even #97, so unless one of those big 3 is there then no WR at #33. I could definitely see them going CB or OT at #33 depending on who's available. I think they'll definitely look at a CB, WR, OT, interior OL, MLB, a DE and/or maybe a FS in the draft (not necessarily in that order). I would have expected them to make a run at one of the FA safeties, FS is a pretty important position on defense and we already have two young guys with a combined three years of experience starting back there, so if they were going to add another one I would have thought they'd add an experienced veteran in there rather than another young guy in the draft, but they have let some good FS slip by apparently without even making an offer to any of them, so I don't know what they're expecting to do on that.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 03-24-2006 at 04:20 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #16
Mailman04
Veteran

You can forget Burleson, Seattle signed him to a 7 year offer sheet. Minny has a week to match like Bengals had on Walter. I don't know what kind of money they paid him
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #17
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Default long contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman04
You can forget Burleson, Seattle signed him to a 7 year offer sheet. Minny has a week to match like Bengals had on Walter. I don't know what kind of money they paid him

That long of a contract has to be small per year with a larger signing bonus so they can allocate the bonus out the length of the contract with less cap hit. With their other signing that is the only way they would be able to stay below that cap.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #18
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman04
From: http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/webx?14@764.8PbSa5bcgFW.0@.ee856b4!discloc=.ee95ff b

Hawks sign Burleson to offer sheet

The Seahawks signed Vikings WR Nate Burleson to an offer sheet today, giving Minnesota seven days to match or lose the three-year veteran to Seattle.

Get this (and I am not making this up): The offer is a seven-year, $49 million deal with $5.25 million guaranteed and two hilarious poison pills guaranteeing the entire $49 million if he plays a certain number of games in the State of Minnesota, or if his average-per-year exceeds the average of the highest-paid running back on the team (I need to confirm the specifics on the second poison pill, but you get the point: The Seahawks have a running back who averages more money per year, while the Vikings do not).

The poison pills are obviously direct retribution for the contract Minnesota used to sign LG Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks. More than anything, it appears as though the Seahawks are making a point about just how ludicrous these poison-pill clauses can be. Now we'll see if the league and its players address the issue. Just on principle, it's hard to imagine the Vikings contesting these clauses after using a similar one with Hutchinson.

Obviously this deal will be reworked after a few years, but they did what they had to do to make this look like the seven-year, $49 million offer the Vikings made to Hutchinson. I hope to have more on the financial breakdown, but like I said, the fact that $5.25 million is guaranteed tells you this is, in reality, a four-year deal dressed up as a bigger package to make a point.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #19
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Ok we just signed three more ppl

Troy Evans-Resigned
Mike Flanagan-Agreed to terms
Sam Cowart-Agreed to terms

A Few more key signings and we could contest for a wildcard spot

I also think this will be the year we finally be Indy, as long as they dont take someone good like laurence Maroney, even if they do, we still might, if our team plays like a super bowl team!

Man we have a lot of planning to do, for next year
Old 03-24-2006   #20
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Don't know what the asking price for Charles Woodson is, and whether or not he wants to go to a "contender", but he could be good for us. Yes, he's aging (29) and seen better days, but he'd be fantastic with Dunta taking pressure off of him. Our secondary would be significantly upgraded. We've been pretty frugal with all of our moves except Rosenfels, I wonder if we could fit Woodson in there.

I read today Seattle was a player for him, but after the Alexander,Burleson, and Peterson deals they can't have too much cash to throw around.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read