Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2006   #1
barzilla
Veteran

Default Liking the Offense

I realize that some people are skeptical (although the Flanigan signing is turning that around), but I'm thinking right now that the off-season on the offensive side of ball has been pretty good.

1. The offensive line should be improved more than just Flanigan based on the fact that McKinney should be a better guard than center and Pitts will be an improvement at tackle simply because he's spending a second consecutive season there and Victor Riley is stuffing his face on a couch rather than getting his doors blown off. Wiegert is decent at right guard and Wade was solid in Miami, so maybe they can find a way to make him decent here. When you have five decent linemen you should have a decent line.

2. The signings of Cook and Petzier give this team a more dynamic offensive attack. When it's third and four or five you have two additional weapons you can put in there and get the first down. A lot of people have been knocking the Cook signing, but having a full back that can catch 30-40 balls simply gives you more options offensively. The same is true when your tight end can do that too.

3. The money for Kevin Walter does seem excessive, but look at what Bradford got from Detroit? We know Bradford sucks while Walter has been stuck as the number four reciever on a great reciever core. No, Walter won't be a number two guy on a good team, but if you put him in the slot on third and short (or the goal line) you get yet another option. When you consider Putzier, Cook, and Walter on third and short you will see an offense that will be more efficient on those plays. When you convert more third downs you stay on the field and score more points. You also keep your defense off the field.

Yes, there is still work to be done. We need a second reciever and a right tackle would be nice to have, but bringing in a Bush would make this offense that much more dynamic. If this team can sign Sam Cowart I think they will have had a very solid off-season. I agree that the Rosenfels signing is very questionable as I would rather see that money go to a safety, but I think they've done well so far.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
A lot of people have been knocking the Cook signing, but having a full back that can catch 30-40 balls simply gives you more options offensively.

The money for Kevin Walter does seem excessive, but look at what Bradford got from Detroit? We know Bradford sucks while Walter has been stuck as the number four reciever on a great reciever core. No, Walter won't be a number two guy on a good team, but if you put him in the slot on third and short (or the goal line) you get yet another option. When you consider Putzier, Cook, and Walter on third and short you will see an offense that will be more efficient on those plays.
First cook has never caught more than 20 passes in a season for 120 yards so dont expect him to be a major passing threat. Putzier and Flanagan are the prizes. We still need a number 2 wide reciever but the offense has gotten alot of attention this offseason and it is moves that for the most part make sense.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #3
el toro
All Pro

Right, then add Bush to the mix.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #4
Mycco
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Mycco

The Flanagin signing is by far the best signing so far this off-season. It addresses one of our major team needs and allows McKinney to move back to guard (his natural position), so it's almost like adding 2 linemen. Now, if we could pick up one of the top OT with our 2nd round pick i.e. W.Justice from USC, Max Jean-Gilles from Georgia, we could have the makings of a much improved o-line. Let's hope they can land one of these guys come draft day
Mycco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5
Johnny Utah
All Pro

If the Texans draft Bush in the 1st round, and then Moss in the 2nd they can potentially have one of the best and most explosive offenses in the NFL.

Lining up AJ, Mathis, and Moss at the WR postions gives you 3 guys that run in the 4.3's. Drafting Bush gives you lightning speed out of the backfield that can also lineup as a 3rd or 4th WR. Throw in the mix that the Texans added a above average receiving TE, and this offense looks scary. So many weapons and playmakers.

Carr will be out of excuses if he couldn't produce with that bunch around him.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6
el toro
All Pro

If he doesn't then you have Rosenfels to give a shot. But I have a feeling that if Carr actually has time in a real pocket with those options that he will be able to produce.

On every down opposing defenses will have to respect the pass and run.
Old 03-24-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I think we are fine with the tackles we got, we need another Gaurd.
Agreed. McKinney could certainly be upgraded, and then he could back-up Weigert if/when Weigert gets hurt. However, I'm not certain McKinney even starts over Weary. We'll see in camp.
Old 03-24-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
If the Texans draft Bush in the 1st round, and then Moss in the 2nd they can potentially have one of the best and most explosive offenses in the NFL.

Lining up AJ, Mathis, and Moss at the WR postions gives you 3 guys that run in the 4.3's. Drafting Bush gives you lightning speed out of the backfield that can also lineup as a 3rd or 4th WR. Throw in the mix that the Texans added a above average receiving TE, and this offense looks scary. So many weapons and playmakers.

If we draft Bush #1, I do hope we take the best defensive player we can at #2. The biggest difference between last season and the previous seasons is that our defense was pretty durn feeble--couldn't stop the run, couldn't do a pass rush, and was out of sync and really thin in the secondary.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #9
Mycco
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I think we are fine with the tackles we got, we need another Gaurd.
A guard would help also, but our OT's are not as good as you think. I think we need to develop and groom one of our own thru the draft and this draft is deep at o-line. Pitts might do a slightly better job at LT, but he holds a lot and has a tendancy to get beat on the outside pass rush. He's not a natural LT, he might be a better suited for RT.
Old 03-24-2006   #10
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Really liking some of the signings on offense and IMO its making some serious and much needed progress in becoming a true "Diverse" nfl offense. I think Toro said it best that now teams will have to respect both the "Pass & Run" parts of our offense which will help a whole lot in giving DC time to throw, make reads and develop into the franchise QB he was picked to be when we started the team. Ive said all along I thought Dom's "Ball control" offense is whats ailing the Texans Offense and that if David ever got into a system where Passing was more of the focus he would really shine as he was a really good passer at Fresno state and lit up the record books esp his senior year in passing. With all the new tools, a possible elite RB in Bush coming on and Putzier at TE we now have a legitime triple threat on offense and can make defenses have to start guessing again. This is a really great thing and bodes well for the future offenses success. Having other teams defenses have to sit back and try to play cover 2 all day because they dont knwo which way were goign to run will help everyone on the offense esp loosen up and hopefully start playing as a team.
Old 03-24-2006   #11
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Agreed. McKinney could certainly be upgraded, and then he could back-up Weigert if/when Weigert gets hurt. However, I'm not certain McKinney even starts over Weary. We'll see in camp.
McKinney was a great guard for Indy. He will be for the Texans also. He will makr the pro-bowl in the next 3 years.
Old 03-24-2006   #12
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah

A lot of that does depend on Carr but I'm in this camp with you. If we draft Bush 1 and are able to get a Moss or Chad Jackson at 33, then we may indeed have a core that in time will put up some solid attacks on other teams. Also, don't forget about Bush going out to slot in this scenario.

Carr
DD
Cook
Putzier
AJ
Walter
Bush
Moss

That's certainly enough to work with!

Last edited by DRAMA; 03-24-2006 at 10:50 AM.
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #13
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA
A lot of that does depend on Carr but I'm in this camp with you. If we draft Bush 1 and are able to get a Moss or Chad Jackson at 33, then we may indeed have a core that in time will put up some solid attacks on other teams. Also, don't forget about Bush going out to slot in this scenario.

Carr
DD
Cook
Putzier
AJ
Bush
Moss

That's certainly enough to work with!
They'd get called for having too many men on the field, but I'm with you.
Old 03-24-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
McKinney was a great guard for Indy. He will be for the Texans also. He will makr the pro-bowl in the next 3 years.

I admit stats indicate McKinney is a good run blocker in the zone scheme at guard or center, as I pointed out in this other thread:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=18519

However, at this stage in his career I think he gets over powered in the pass rush.
Old 03-24-2006   #15
el toro
All Pro

Carr
DD
RB
Putzier
AJ
Walter or Moss or other

Bush is a threat to go to the slot on any number of downs. At a minimum you'll have 3 receivers downfield with a RB in the flat and another to perhaps take the handoff. Defenses will have to respect both the pass and run.
Old 03-24-2006   #16
Mycco
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
Really liking some of the signings on offense and IMO its making some serious and much needed progress in becoming a true "Diverse" nfl offense. I think Toro said it best that now teams will have to respect both the "Pass & Run" parts of our offense which will help a whole lot in giving DC time to throw, make reads and develop into the franchise QB he was picked to be when we started the team. Ive said all along I thought Dom's "Ball control" offense is whats ailing the Texans Offense and that if David ever got into a system where Passing was more of the focus he would really shine as he was a really good passer at Fresno state and lit up the record books esp his senior year in passing. With all the new tools, a possible elite RB in Bush coming on and Putzier at TE we now have a legitime triple threat on offense and can make defenses have to start guessing again. This is a really great thing and bodes well for the future offenses success. Having other teams defenses have to sit back and try to play cover 2 all day because they dont knwo which way were goign to run will help everyone on the offense esp loosen up and hopefully start playing as a team.

Let's not get too carried away with cudos for the offense just yet. Remember a QB needs time to make his reads before our recievers can be any kind of a threat. Having speed at reciver is great and all, but what good is it if the QB is on his back before they can even get out of their breaks? Putzier will help us on 3rd down situations tremendously, but a lot of people seem to be proclaiming him as a top notch pro bowl TE. He'll be a huge help but not how a lot of people are envisioning him. Also, don't expect Moss to be around by the time we pick in the the 2nd round, if he does then he will have slipped far in the draft. This draft is too deep w/ 1st day linemen to pass on any of them. I'm sure Sherman will have his eye on some of them w/ the 2nd pick. Our best bet for reciver is to either pick up one in FA if any good #2's are available or to look for a sleeper in the 3rd round.
Old 03-24-2006   #17
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
They'd get called for having too many men on the field, but I'm with you.
I meant these guys would be our weapons...but with Bush in the slot or in the backfield, it WILL DAMN WELL seem like 12 men!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #18
barzilla
Veteran

I think the key on draft day is to draft players we know should be good pros. I'd rather take a player who should have been higher on the board than a player that will fit a hole. There is no way we can fill every hole on a 2-14 football team. We can do that through free agency and the draft in 2007. So, I'm really open on the three picks after the first round. I want to see what's there. If linebacker is the best spot on the board take linebacker. If safety or corner is the best spot on the board take one of those. If Moss is on the board and he is the best available player take him.

I'm of the opinion that we simply didn't have enough talented football players in the last regime. Yes, coaching was awful and did the very least with what we had, but even if you acquire a solid player at every position you still suffer because you don't have many studs.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #19
el toro
All Pro

If they added a Moss, then that with Mathis would give them two burners of which one they could use to send downfield for the possible homerun ball while sending Putzier over the middle, AJ up the left side and then perhaps Bush in the slot. All the while having Davis in the backfield.
Old 03-24-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycco
A guard would help also, but our OT's are not as good as you think. I think we need to develop and groom one of our own thru the draft and this draft is deep at o-line. Pitts might do a slightly better job at LT, but he holds a lot and has a tendancy to get beat on the outside pass rush. He's not a natural LT, he might be a better suited for RT.
Reading the tea leaves, which is admittedly prone to error, I think Sherman is fairly happy with our options at tackle. At least publicly, the Texans have looked at more interior lineman than tackles so far.

There are some different views of this, in the order of probability as I see them:

1) Sherman likes the tackles we have on the roster and will draft for depth.

2) We add a starting tackle via free agency.

3) Sherman thinks we are one tackle short and likes D'Brickashaw, and the Texans select him in the first round.

4) Sherman thinks a second round tackle that is starter quality will be available later, and the Texans select a projected starter later, probably the second round.

5) We go unhappily with what we have and plan on fixing tackles next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read