Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Shantee Orr as MLB

I know most of us have presumed that Orr will have a strong chance at starting at OLB on the strong side next season. However, I think he might be well suited to play in the middle. He has an ideal linebacker body, he is short, compact, and very strong. He is also a very good athlete. Unlike those talking about Babin as the MLB position, Orr actually can cover a little. I think with a full training camp he might be able to take over this position.

Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2006   #2
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I'd use Orr there before Babin. But that's just me.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, but isn't Babin going to play weakside DE anyway?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I agree, but isn't Babin going to play weakside DE anyway?
Situational pass rushing DE, coming in for Weaver.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Situational pass rushing DE, coming in for Weaver.
He will go into camp battling Peek for the weakside DE. He actually has more ideal a body for it than Peek does.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He will go into camp battling Peek for the weakside DE.
And those two will probably be joined by Babin. Gonna be a whole gob of tweeners over there, wonder who(s) gonna be the odd man(men) out ?
Could any of those guys have been drafted as a pure weakside 4-3 DE ?
We'll see.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Orr was listed as an ILB for 2004 season, so of the tweeners he seems to be the one who is the most versatile. he seems to have do whatever it takes attitude. My belief is that he will play some version of LB 2006.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2006   #8
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Orr was listed as an ILB for 2004 season, so of the tweeners he seems to be the one who is the most versatile. he seems to have do whatever it takes attitude. My belief is that he will play some version of LB 2006.
He has that tenacity to play MLB, add 10 lbs and have him go at it
Old 03-24-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
He has that tenacity to play MLB, add 10 lbs and have him go at it
If anything Orr is too heavy. He doesn't need to add weight.

Old 03-24-2006   #10
O.G.
Veteran

Quote:
If anything Orr is too heavy. He doesn't need to add weight.
The have him listed at 6'-0", 241lbs.
Old 03-24-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

They list him twice with different weights then (250 on the link). 241 is plenty big enough all the same, but I can't find it on our site.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...l.php?PRKey=52

Old 03-24-2006   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to Evans , It seemed like he might be able to play MLB ?

A MLB does not have to be big , Mike Singletary was 6ft 230 lbs and he's a HOF player . He does have to be smart , quick and tough as boot leather .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #13
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP

Some players are just gifted (Singletary) to play a position at a lighter weight. Currently the Texans don't have a guy with those gifts or heart to do that.
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They list him twice with different weights then (250 on the link). 241 is plenty big enough all the same, but I can't find it on our site.

I think Orr has lost a little weight over time in the transition from college DE to LB. He is plenty big to be MLB.
Old 03-24-2006   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The have him listed at 6'-0", 241lbs.
See the thread aboth the differences between MLB and OLB...Size for Orr is a non-issue for that position.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #16
O.G.
Veteran

Quote:

Look on the opening home page that talks about the signing, they have the four free agents sizes there. That's where I got that. But as Arlington indicated, it doesn't matter....if he can play the position, he can play it.
Old 03-24-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Look on the opening home page that talks about the signing, they have the four free agents sizes there. That's where I got that. But as Arlington indicated, it doesn't matter....if he can play the position, he can play it.
thanks...agreed. He was always a bit small (mostly short though) for a 3-4 olb so switching to a 4-3 should work out in his favor.

Old 03-24-2006   #18
Htown34s
Veteran

I thought Greenwood and Polk would be fighting for the starting spot at MLB until Wong gets heathly. Am I wrong?
Old 03-24-2006   #19
horn_omatic
Rookie

I bet by the end of training camp Terry Pierce will be starting at Mike.
Old 03-24-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown34s
I thought Greenwood and Polk would be fighting for the starting spot at MLB until Wong gets heathly. Am I wrong?
Right now they list him in the middle but Greenwood was a weakside LB in Miami and only played in the middle in a pinch. I don't anticipate him playing anywhere but the will. Never know what the team is thinking though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read