Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2006   #1
Mightymike
Veteran

Default now that we have flanagan...(no need to draft a center?)

we don't draft a center and leave flanagan to groom hodgon for future?
helps our draft out alot, not to mention the team
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #2
el toro
All Pro

They could still draft a lineman prospect at #33.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #3
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Some scouts have Winston projecting to be a RT. A possibility at 33.
Old 03-23-2006   #4
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
They could still draft a lineman prospect at #33.
hopefully not mangold at #33 or eslinger in the 4th
Old 03-23-2006   #5
texman8
Veteran

Yeah, maybe This gives Texans more flexiblity....They could go after CB,FS,DE,or WR with 2nd round. Even better if we can get some extra picks.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #6
el toro
All Pro

This signing provides even more reason to take Bush at #1.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #7
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
This signing provides even more reason to take Bush at #1.
Too true, and also we may not have to go O-line in the second. We just go with the best available need player, and look for Jonathan Scott or Daryn Colledge to fall.
Old 03-23-2006   #8
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
Too true, and also we may not have to go O-line in the second. We just go with the best available need player, and look for Jonathan Scott or Daryn Colledge to fall.

yea take winston if he's there, but if not we should take scott if he falls to round 3
Old 03-24-2006   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Eric Winston will be the best available player in the 2nd imo if he falls
Old 03-24-2006   #10
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default with flanagan signed, whats next?!

what are the most pressing needs left?

my thoughts: assuming we already have reggie bush

1. CB
2. WR
3. MLB (if wong is not in this spot)
4. RT
5. safeties for depth
Old 03-24-2006   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
what are the most pressing needs left?

my thoughts: assuming we already have reggie bush

1. CB
2. WR
3. MLB (if wong is not in this spot)
4. RT
5. safeties for depth
have to consider the bpa with the 2nd pick between CB, WR, MLB, RT & Safeties as you accurately noted. with the signing of a Center, TE, WR, FB & QB it almost has to be defense, especially with Bush beign the consensous #1 pick.

CB Johnathan Joseph looks to be gone as does Eric Winston by the second rd. WR Sinorice Moss is a possibility, but defensively the Texans could use another pass rushing DE Kiwanuka if he falls, or ILB to fill the open MLB position like Abdul Hodge. there are still some attractive free agents on the market & they may still influence the direction the Texans will take...
IMO
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we still need an OT because wade isnt likely to do well especially with the new scheme (and i think he's better than weigert at the position). we'd need someone to start LT and move pitts to the right, or someone to come straight into the RT job. the 33rd's more of a guessing game because there's no telling who's going to fall. if a LB like carpenter falls i think we've gotta go that route, but i'm positive that we'll take a linemen on the first day.
Old 03-24-2006   #13
whiskeyrbl

If Joseph is gone do you think Cedric Griffen deserves a look?
Old 03-24-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Cedric Griffen is a 3rd round pick for us. Maybe if we had a late second rounder.. but #33 is too high for him.

If I was gonna pick up a CB in the second, it would be either Youboty, or Marshall (who I wanted in the 3rd, but has been flying up draft boards)

Another Possibility if he falls is Donte Whitner... who could fill our need at FS. I was a big Ko Simpson supporter..but his wonderlic turned me off to him. FS is a thinking man's position.

Id REALLY like to see us address the secondary in the 2nd round. We need a strong secondary in our division, and we saw how great Robinson was when he had help from his FS and #2 CB. We have the SS position locked down, thankfully.

Anyway, if we didnt address the secondary, other possibilities are MLB Abdul Hodge, Sinorice Moss, Nick Mangold, Eric Winston, and Davin Joseph. Other than those 5.. I cant think of anyone else id be REALLY interested, outside of the DBs I mentioned.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #15
Snapple
Veteran

I think our two biggest sore spots right now are WR and RT.

After that, CB, FS, and RG.

Of course, I'd rather get a proven WR right now, rather than waste a second round draft pick on a draft that's weak at the receiver, and try and force a rookie into the #2 receiving spot on our team.

But if we don't get a WR in FA, we MUST get a RT or WR with our second pick.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see RT as a sore spot. Wade Wand and Wiegert are all possible RTs. It would be nice to get a young tackle to groom.. and wouldnt MIND getting Winston in the 2nd, but we could address the problem with Colledge or Setterstrom in the 3rd. We arent gonna implode if we dont have a new RT next season.

As far as WR goes.. I see the need to get a legitimate #2..but do not see it as a game breaking need. I think we could make do with what we have if it was necessary. We may not have the greatest WR corp in the league, but it would be good enough to win games. Again, i wouldnt mind getting Moss, but we arent going to implode.

Looking at the team, I see holes at 2 positions. MLB and FS. These are the two places where we dont really have a sure starter. CB isnt necessarily a hole..but it is a weak spot for us. So if I was listing our needs..it would probably go like this.

1. FS
2. MLB
3. CB
4. WR
5. RT

For that reason.. im hoping for Donte Whitner, Richard Marshall, Ashton Youboty, or Abdul Hodge with the #33 pick. FS/CB are positions that are better addressed in the first 2 rounds. Olinemen can be addressed in the 3rd and later. WR is also a position that is best addressed in the first two rounds, imo....at least if you want a starter...but we dont have enough picks to address everything ..I honestly think we will be ok next season with our current WRs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I still want to take a lineman at #33 and finish shoring up this line.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #18
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
I still want to take a lineman at #33 and finish shoring up this line.
I'm with you. David & Reggie will need some blockers.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont mean to sound like a nay sayer, but do you have a link to the signing?
Old 03-24-2006   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I would still look for them to address the o-line with the 2nd round pick. We took care of our needs in the middle of the line by signing Mckinney to play guard, and Flanagan to center. Our TE problem looks less chaotic with the Putzier signing, and our DE need was filled by Weaver.

We still need a tackle, safety, or WR.

I think you have to go tackle with so many grade 1's this year. I dont know how you can pass on Scott. He will be a LT for some team for a long time. And I dont see as much support on this board as I would like.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read