Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2006   #1
Texansbacker
Veteran

Default Both Carr and Young

From reading the coverage from the UT Pro Day with QB Vince Young performing extremely well, I think the value of the Texans pick went up significantly, and should definitely keep the door open to trade proposals.

It got me thinking however, if a blockbuster deal is not to be had, then would it not be wise to pick-up Young and keep Carr too? Young will need some time to learn the system as all rookies must and also Carr has an opportunity to prove himself a stud during the 2006 season.

Young would add value and also unpredictability to the Texans offense, ala Slash from Pittsburg........but hopefully that would be the only comparison of Vince Young to Kordell Stewart.

You would also have a solid backup should Sage Rosenfels not be the answer after a Carr injury. Or perhas Carr has taken too many shots (doubt it, but it is a factor) and plays with happy feet.

Reggie Bush will be an exciting player, no doubt, but you win and lose with your quarterback. I am willing to take my chances with Dominick Davis et al as Kubiak was able to work wonders with most any back.

Betting the house on Carr, with only Sage Rosenfels and Dave Ragone available to lead us to victory, should he fall or falter, seems more foolhardy than selecting a hometown fella. A guy with all the size, speed and skills you look for in a QB, along with being a proven winner, who plays at another level when on the big stage. It doesn't get any bigger than the NFL.

The competition at QB would be intense and, since I believe they are both high character guys, it would be good for everyone on the team.

In the process, Carr will undoubtably play much better, with an improved line, and very well could become the quarterback everyone said and wants him to become. That would be a good bet.

Sometimes it is also good to backup your bet, unless you are holding a pair of Mannings.

Especially when a situation (hometown: Houston, college: Texas) and a talent like Vince Young come to town.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #2
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
From reading the coverage from the UT Pro Day with QB Vince Young performing extremely
I understand there were a few scouts who were disappointed with his showing.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #3
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

as much as I would like for us to have young I think we would have way too much money invested at the qb position. I think the only way we get young now is trade down and he's still available or work package to trade carr and get young on draft day.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #4
LoneStarState
Veteran

VY brings nothing to the team for at least 3 years. Sorry...
Old 03-23-2006   #5
Sportsfan
All Pro

I somewhat agree w/that school of thought but i'm pretty convinced it ain't happenin.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #6
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Only way we draft young is if he plays for WR for us.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #7
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Let's just wait until April 2nd (USC Pro Day) before we assume Vince's stock, as compared to Reggie's.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2006   #8
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

with the way that Washington annually spend money I find it hard to believe that we couldn't find a way to financially have both.

and Texansbacker, I am totally in agreement. I would love to draft Young, let him learn for a year, or two even if Carr's potential finds its way to the playing field surface as promised for the last 4 full season's.

We would have our future QB and don't have to commit the unpardonable sin of drafting and playing a rookie his first year and 'ruining' him, like we did poor poor Carr.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #9
el toro
All Pro

If Young wasn't from Houston and didn't play at UT would anyone here want him over Bush? No. Leinhart's the most pro-ready QB in the draft and I've yet to see the 'Draft Matt' movement spring up in here.

Bush provides an impact today. Bush fits the offense. The coach built strong offenses in Denver based on a strong running game. The hometown boy sentiment is nice and all, but at some point reality should set in. Maybe on April 29th?
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
If Young wasn't from Houston and didn't play at UT would anyone here want him over Bush? No. Leinhart's the most pro-ready QB in the draft and I've yet to see the 'Draft Matt' movement spring up in here.
That is the truth VY supporters don't want to admit. Some people have him ranked third at his position and almost everybody (95%) have him ranked behind Matt L.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #11
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:
how did you come to this conclusion? do you have some kind of magic equation you plugged names in?
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
as much as I would like for us to have young I think we would have way too much money invested at the qb position. I think the only way we get young now is trade down and he's still available or work package to trade carr and get young on draft day.

I wonder how much Indy has invested in a QB.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
We've already waited four years on Carr, Kubes expects two more.... I think the fans will be willing to wait one extra year for their pick
Old 03-23-2006   #13
el toro
All Pro

Yeah, we've waited 4 years for a competent offense. Now we have one of the top offensive coaches in the game as our HC. !@#$ waiting.
Old 03-23-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bush provides an impact today. Bush fits the offense. The coach built strong offenses in Denver based on a strong running game. The hometown boy sentiment is nice and all, but at some point reality should set in. Maybe on April 29th?
The big story out of Denver, is their running game....... for what, ten years now?? they word is you can put anyone in Denver, and they'll make him a probowl runner. 1600 yards.. So why is everyone talking about Kubiak's impressive history with resurrecting QBs?? Griese?? I hope not.

Bush doesn't fit the offense.. that's the point. Denver never runs two backs..... Denver never move Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Ruben Droans, Olandis Gary, or Ron DAyne out as wide reciever..... nobody does..... you have to make a spot for Reggie.

When have we ever........ ever, ever, ever....... ask for a hometown kid?? Their are plenty of them out their.
Old 03-23-2006   #15
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I wonder how much Indy has invested in a QB.....

We've already waited four years on Carr, Kubes expects two more.... I think the fans will be willing to wait one extra year for their pick
on the indy thing--they aren't looking to invest another 7-8 million annually in another QB. somewhat of a flawed argument.

on the second point, why don't you go take a poll and see who the people's (that includes people who don't hang out on this MB) choice is.
Old 03-23-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
This is why we have a owner a coaching staff and GM who descides these things for us.

If kubes said he is here to make Carr one of the best and he thinks he can be, why would anyone have a problem with that?

Not being a butt head but Holy Crap you would think Carr is the worst QB that ever touched a football the way everyone talks about him.
I'd like to see that link. Kubes says he'll do everything he can to make Carr successful...
Old 03-23-2006   #17
Doom Capers
Veteran

If the Texans are going to draft a QB, they might as well draft the best one (Leinart) instead of the 3rd best one.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yeah, we've waited 4 years for a competent offense. Now we have one of the top offensive coaches in the game as our HC. !@#$ waiting.
But we know Gaffney didn't fit, Milford doesn't belong on our starting line, McKinney can't play Center........ the poor offense only affects our ability to assess the play of the QB??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
on the indy thing--they aren't looking to invest another 7-8 million annually in another QB. somewhat of a flawed argument.

on the second point, why don't you go take a poll and see who the people's (that includes people who don't hang out on this MB) choice is.
I think the chronicle did.... I'm pretty sure it was Vince.
Old 03-23-2006   #19
el toro
All Pro

They've managed to win a few games with that run game. Davis isn't exactly a sure thing health wise and Bush isn't relegated solely to lining up in the backfield.
Old 03-23-2006   #20
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Bush doesn't fit the offense.. that's the point. Denver never runs two backs..... Denver never move Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Ruben Droans, Olandis Gary, or Ron DAyne out as wide reciever..... nobody does..... you have to make a spot for Reggie.
However, Denver does utilize multiple backs... and often. It keeps them fresh, which is a concern with DD. Everyone questions Reggie's stamina because he never had the typical 30 carry game load. But when Lendale in college took the handoffs, Reggie was often lined up in teh flanker spot and would downfield block. So the guy has played reps on the field.

I don't understand the philosophy of not wanting the best QB in the draft if someone wants a QB. Assuming most people would want a Carson Palmer type QB (minus the whole 'I no longer have ligaments in my knee' thing), why not take Leinart? He is cut from the same cloth. There is much less risk.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read