Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-18-2004   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Champ Bailey on offense?

From www.denverbroncos.com

Not long after he broke the huddle with the offensive unit for the first time at training camp, Bailey took off on his route, stopping and starting to freeze cornerback Willie Middlebrooks just after he got past the line of scrimmage. With that little bit of separation, Bailey zipped by and sprinted downfield, catching a pass from Jake Plummer in perfect stride, as if the two had connected hundreds of times before.

With that catch and some others during Tuesday afternoon's practice at the Broncos' facility, Bailey achieved a dream of which he spoke at his introductory press conference on March 4.

"I'm not shy about wanting to play offense," Bailey said in March. "I'm not shy about telling (Head) Coach (Mike) Shanahan that I want to do it. I will say it everyday that I want to do it, but it's up to him (Shanahan) to give me that opportunity. All I can do is take advantage of it. All I look for is the opportunity, and if he presents me with that, then I will take advantage of it."

Bailey then reiterated that sentiment a national television audience on ABC's Monday Night Football on Aug. 9, expressing once again a desire to reprise the two-way role at which he excelled at the University of Georgia.

Monday afternoon, the opportunity to do so arose.

"(The coaches) said they were going to do it, but you never actually know what you're going to get until they give you the packet, which they gave me about a week ago," Bailey said as he walked off the field following practice. "I've just been studying, trying to figure out what I'm going to do."

Bailey's efforts proved he'd been taking notes and doing his homework. He went long for that pass to beat Middlebrooks, but also did well going short for a pass from Plummer in front of rookie cornerback Roc Alexander.

He doesn't consider the offensive work to be a mere lark.

"Why waste your time? I don't think we're wasting any time," Bailey said. "They know I can play. They know I can do it, so they're not going to put me out there, and get my hopes up. I told them I wanted to it. They put me in there. We're going to do it."

Bailey last saw extensive action at receiver during the 1998 season at Georgia, his final campaign for the Bulldogs. He amassed 47 catches for 744 yards with five touchdowns during that year, one in which he participated in an average of 79.8 plays per contest.

But he only has three NFL receptions in five years. All came during the final four weeks of the 2000 season, with one grab for 24 yards at Dallas and then two catches for 54 yards in the Redskins' season-ending game against the Arizona Cardinals. He hopes more such opportunities are forthcoming.

"Hopefully (the work) will increase as time goes by, but I've got to get productive as time goes by, but I've got to get productive first," Bailey said. "I've got to get some catches first."
Old 08-18-2004   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

He is too valuable a CB to risk him at WR. Although that WR corps is a big question mark....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
He is too valuable a CB to risk him at WR. Although that WR corps is a big question mark....
Although logically I agree with you, Deion served as a part time WR, a KR and CB while being the best CB the NFL has ever seen. That is clearly what Bailey is angling for--IMO he will never top Deion in any of those categories, but hey go for it.
Old 08-18-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

What makes this intresting is the trade. The Broncos gave up Portis to get Bailey to be the shutdown CB for their defense, just imagine what would happen to Shanahan if Bailey got hurt on offense and missed some time.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #5
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
What makes this intresting is the trade. The Broncos gave up Portis to get Bailey to be the shutdown CB for their defense, just imagine what would happen to Shanahan if Bailey got hurt on offense and missed some time.
Just imagine what would happen to shanahan if he did something stupid like trade clinton portis for a CB.

2 superbowls buys you alot of mistakes I guess.
Old 08-19-2004   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

You're kidding....right?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #7
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

When Denver Goes 7-9 you won't think I was kidding.
Old 08-19-2004   #8
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

If they go 7-9, it won't be because they lack a running game. Shanahan always has a running game no matter who the RB is (Davis, Anderson, Gary, Portis). They'll miss Alex Gibbs (former OL coach now in Atlanta) more than Portis.

Their running game may take a hit...they can afford that. They can't afford to have another weak secondary (last in INTs last year).
Old 08-19-2004   #9
Huge
Hall of Fame

Denver had the 2nd best rushing offense in the league last year. They can take a hit and still be top 10...good enough to remain competitive.

Basically they're better off with Quentin Griffen (or whoever else steps up) and Champ Bailey than they are with Clinton Portis and no Champ Bailey.
Old 08-19-2004   #10
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Basically they're better off with Quentin Griffen ... and Champ Bailey than they are with Clinton Portis and no Champ Bailey.
What they really needed was a second year player who played at a high level (Portis) AND played out his contract. Instead, they got an expensive CB and the Redskins got an expensive RB. We've got a reasonably priced Gaffney, Pitts, Davis ...
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Every report on Quentin Griffin has been excellent so far. His running style seems to fit well to take advantage of the holes that the Denver OL creates. Funny though, haven't seen as many people questioning his ability to carry the load at 5'9" 195 lbs as about DD at 5'9" 220 lbs.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004   #12
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
What they really needed was a second year player who played at a high level (Portis) AND played out his contract. Instead, they got an expensive CB and the Redskins got an expensive RB. We've got a reasonably priced Gaffney, Pitts, Davis ...
Portis wasn't willing to play out his contract. It's part of the reason he was traded.

Quote:
Griffin sure looks like he goes down easily when not running thru gaping holes. Jury is out on if they are "better off" with Q as opposed to the proven Portis. Griffin seems to have more trouble running between the tackles than Bronco backs of the past from what I have seen. If he can't do it Bell probably can though.
I didn't say they were better off with Griffen. I said they were better off with Griffen AND Bailey than just Portis. I don't expcet Griffen (or whoever else takes the starting job) to put up as good as or better numbers than Portis did. But I do expect their secondary to be much better. Which will help them more.
Old 08-20-2004   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Watts looks like he might be the real deal, but Vinny hit it on the head when he said Lelie is looking like Bradford. In fact, I think that might be a bit of a stretch and an insult to Bradford. The kid just can not seem to find any sort of consitancy. I look for him to be the 3rd WR rather than the 2 when the season gets going.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004   #14
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Portis wasn't willing to play out his contract. It's part of the reason he was traded...
That's my point.

Some posters love to suggest that we would have been better off drafting Portis than Chester Pitts, but drafting someone who thinks they are going to be drafted a lot earlier has it's risks. Therefore you have to evaluate character as well. The big risk is that they will get full of themselves and not play out their contract. The Broncos could really lose another quality starter who is paid a fraction the cost of a free agent. That's what they lost, although by getting a 2nd round pick as part of the trade, they had a chance to roll the dice again and try to pick that quality starter who actually plays out his contract.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Didn't they pick up Tatum Bell with that 2nd Round pick they got in the trade? So essientially they traded Portis for Bailey and Bell.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

...Well...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read