Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2006   #1
latim06800
Rookie

Default Jets looking to Move up

While driving home from work yesterday morning on Sirius NFL radio the analysts alluded to that from within the Jet's organization there was strong urgency to move up in the draft with the pick that they acquired from Denver in the Abraham trade. While this leads alot of speculation as to if they want to move up from the #4 pick in a package with the later first rounder from Denver or if it just means that they want to move higher than late first round on the second pick and leave the #4 pick alone. Now I am totally for the Texans drafting Reggie with the #1 but if there were a very lucrative trade offer I would not be too opposed. So I guess my proposed question is what would it take to move up to #1 for the Jets and who would you take with the compensated draft picks?
latim06800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

This is a pretty easy question and answer here. They send us their two first round picks and next year's second and they acquire the first pick in the draft. Now one speculation on this is it could be made on draft day if Mario Williams falls to them at 4 if not then we keep Bush as our pick. Mario and Reggie are the only players worthy of our pick in the top 4.

So if the trade is made my picks for the first round would be:
4 Mario Williams
29 Nick Mangold
Old 03-23-2006   #3
latim06800
Rookie

Makes sense Coach...My choice would be that the Jets offer us their #4, 29 and 36 in the draft to move up to the #1. With these picks I would choose as follows:

4: Mario Williams
29:Nick Mangold
33 (already our pick):Best WR available
36: Best Safety, DB or MLB available
latim06800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem trading down for their 2 #1's, and their #2 this year, or next year.

#4 Vince Young
#29 Nick Mangold
#33 Jonathan Scott
#35 Darnell Bing

What a haul.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Would you make the trade if they didn't give us a 2nd but instead gave us a 3rd?
Old 03-23-2006   #6
PokerStar
Veteran

The second next year that Coach was speaking of is considered a third rounder in value. I cannot see the Jets trading their first 3 picks to move up 3spots. I can see them making a trade similar to Coach C's take, but them giving up their second or third this year is just not benificial to them. I mean we have to convince them that Bush is worth Mario, Mangold or BPANEED and next years second rounder that should be high also. That is a tall order in its self, but one that I can see happening. I am going to go with Coach C's prediction on this one but Mangold is not my pick.

Mario Williams
Jonathan Joseph or Bobby Carpenter (Mangold will either be gone or available at 33)
Nick Mangold
Chris Chester
Daneal Manning
Old 03-23-2006   #7
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Would you make the trade if they didn't give us a 2nd but instead gave us a 3rd?
a 3rd this year is the same as a 2nd next year. Yes, I would most likely make that trade.
Old 03-23-2006   #8
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Ther would be no way that the jets give us more than the 2 1st rd'rs. The #4 is not that "2nd fiddle" to the #1 in this years draft. Last year maybe, but not this year.

The real question is....Who in the hell do the Saints and Jets want in this draft?
Old 03-23-2006   #9
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

I would rather have one first rounder this year (#4) and thier second rounder this year, plus their first round pick next year. That would give us two solid (probably mid) first rounders next year. We could keep both or trade and move to try to get a better pick for someone like Peterson.

This Year
#4 Mario DE
#33 Simpsom FS or Mangold C/OG (who ever is still there)
#36 Joseph CB
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #10
Dime
Hall of Fame

Not us.

Jets | Trading up for Leinart?
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:00:59 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets have been rumored to trade up with the New Orleans Saints for the No. 2 overall pick in the first round and selecting Southern Cal QB Matt Leinart. "I know there's a lot of speculation out there," said Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who admitted he has heard those rumors. "I can't sit here and comment on any specific situation. We'll see what opportunities are presented to us. I won't rule anything in or anything out.
Old 03-23-2006   #11
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I hear the Titans want Leinart also. So what is to stop them from trading first round picks with us if the Jets/Saints trade goes down?
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech
From what I hear the Titans want Leinart also. So what is to stop them from trading first round picks with us if the Jets/Saints trade goes down?
Musical chairs, lol.

Hey, maybe we could do that and then trade with the Jets to go back up to #2 and take Bush.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech
The Jets/Saints trade probably wouldn't go down before the draft. More likely they would have a contingent trade that is activated if nobody took Leinart 1st overall.
Old 03-23-2006   #14
el toro
All Pro

Hmmm...who out there wants Leinhart bad enough to move up to #1?

Another thought, if the Titans wanted to ensure that they landed Young they could swap picks with the Texans. Titans at #1 take Young, Jets (assuming they deal with the Saints) at #2 take Leinhart and the Texans at #3 take Bush. That would trim Bush's price a little and allow them to pick up something extra from the Titans.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #15
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
Hmmm...who out there wants Leinhart bad enough to move up to #1?

Another thought, if the Titans wanted to ensure that they landed Young they could swap picks with the Texans. Titans at #1 take Young, Jets (assuming they deal with the Saints) at #2 take Leinhart and the Texans at #3 take Bush. That would trim Bush's price a little and allow them to pick up something extra from the Titans.
the titans know vince will last to #3 easily.
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

hmmmmmmmmm......... who would want Reggie bad enough to move up to #1??
Old 03-23-2006   #17
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
the titans know vince will last to #3 easily.

Unless someone who wants Vince is talking to the Texans...
Old 03-23-2006   #18
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Sorry, I still believe that Reggie will go number 1, regardless of who has that pick. This draft is deep enough that I will be rather shocked if we get a so called "Godfather Offer."

"Yes, I will take one Battle Red Reggie Bush jersey, please. "
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #19
el toro
All Pro

Works for me. If the Texans were more of a threat to take Young might they be able to get a lucrative offer for the pick. Of course, that would've meant at a minimum not going after a competent backup QB and perhaps not re-upping Carr for 3 seasons.
Old 03-23-2006   #20
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Would the Texans take Matt and then later trade him?
I think that he is a close to the real deal as you get.His knees worry me so I would not want the Texans to take him anyway.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read