Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2006   #1
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Vs Opponents Time of Possession etc...

So I put together some numbers.
To see our total time of possession and total number of plays per quarter -VS- our opponents total time of possession and total number of plays per quarter. I wanted to see if someone was correct in saying that our defense is better than it seemed last year due to their being on the field all the time...i.e. they got tired. So here are the numbers.

Opponents
Time of Possesion
First 143:22
Second 111:01
Third 111:47
Fourth 142:06

Texans
Time of Posestion
First 96:38
Second 128:59
Third 128:13
Fourth 97:54

NOTE:michaelm noticed a time discrepancy...I fixed it but couldn't fix the number of plays so I tossed them...with the fix, one may see that actually we REALLY stunk in the first and fourth.

Something definately went wrong in the fourth, but it doesn't really seem like we can blame it solely on them being tired. I know that is pretty obvious from watching them....

Last edited by UberDork; 03-23-2006 at 09:39 PM.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting post. The huge difference in the 1st quarter makes it seem like the coaches didn't adequately prepare the defense for the opposing offense, or they failed to take into account they team might be trying unique plays as opposed to what they see on tape. By the second quarter the Texans looked to have figured out their opponents and game planned accordingly. By the fourth, it would seem we had given up
Old 03-23-2006   #3
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are some more numbers...Again they are totals per quarter throughout the season.

Texans
Fieldgoals:Touchdowns
First 4:4
Second 9:12
Third 5:7
Fourth 8:3

Opponents
Fieldgoals:Touchdowns
First 7:9
Second 8:12
Third 2:9
Fourth 10:14

I noticed some discrepencies here too...now it shows exactly which quarters the points were scored...

Hope that makes sense...
Our team just shut down in the fourth.

Last edited by UberDork; 03-23-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2006   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

FGs we were about even, but other than the second quarter, we were smoked in the TD area particularly in the 4th. Mmmm, seem to remember not being able to hold a lead.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #5
outofhnd
All Pro

The Jags, The infamous Rams game, Baltimore, Cincinatti, 49ers, are all games that going into the 4th quarter we had an oppurtunity to win but something just died for us in the fourth i dunno if it was just the coaching staff trying to play it safe or what...
Old 03-23-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out Carr's splits as well. Interesting stuff for both sides to rail for or against. The whole dang thang about this guy is ambiguous, except for his hair. It is perfect, but only in a Warren Zevon type of way.
Old 03-23-2006   #7
touttail
All Pro

Great post UD. Something I never would have looked at!
Seems we could hold our own until the fourh quarter, for whatever reason.
Again, good info!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2006   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do the total minutes per quarter vary so much?

Total minutes per quarter (both teams) using your numbers:

1st - 277.11
2nd - 202.22
3rd - 278.05
4th - 204.52

What I mean is, we played 16 games, so we had 16 1st quarters. 16 1st quarters multiplied by 15 minutes equals 240 total 1st quarter minutes for the entire season.
Shouldn't every quarter be equal to 240 for the season, or are there some lost minutes that aren't acounted for in T.O.P.?
I never thought about it, but I always assumed that every minute was accounted for by one team or the other. Are there minutes in a game that don't count as possesion for either team?
Even if there are unaccounted for minutes, these numbers vary pretty widely.

Ok, you guys take it easy on me. I haven't had my coffee this morning, and I'm sure I'm missing something monumentally evident to you all.
Where am I going wrong with this idea?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #9
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do the total minutes per quarter vary so much?

1st - 277.11
2nd - 202.22
3rd - 278.05
4th - 204.52

What I mean is, we played 16 games, so we had 16 1st quarters. 16 1st quarters multiplied by 15 minutes equals 240 total 1st quarter minutes for the entire season.
Shouldn't every quarter be equal to 240 for the season, or are there some lost minutes that aren't acounted for in T.O.P.?
I never thought about it, but I always assumed that every minute was accounted for by one team or the other. Are there minutes in a game that don't count as possesion for either team?

Ok, you guys take it easy on me. I haven't had my coffee this morning, and I'm sure I'm missing something monumentally evident to you all.
1st quarter we're running the ball alot trying to establish the running game.
2nd quarter we're behind and trying to score. Passes out of bounds and incompletions.
3rd quarter are like the 1st
4th quarter is like the 2nd.

Something to ponder. When the QB is sacked the clock keeps running.
Old 03-23-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

And the 4th quarter the other team is running if they are ahead. Taking time off the clock.

And in the 4th quarter, a lot of times our team was conservative if it was close.

And though this is not something proveable, I wonder how much of losing at the end of games is just a lack of quality depth. That we have had starters who really should be backups on teams. And maybe our backups are really more practice squad guys. Though sometimes our practice squad guys were our starters. !!

I do not like to think of last season.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #11
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Yea notice how there was two games last year where we led by a margin in the fourth and then ruined it. This could well be the reason!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #12
UberDork
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm

1st - 277.11
2nd - 202.22
3rd - 278.05
4th - 204.52

Good eye...I didn't notice if a drive begain in the say the first or third quarter...and went well into the second or fourth respectively then the time was just counted as the first or third...I didn't write something to fix that into the program I made...hence that variation...if you add the total first and seconds you should have the right amount of time.

Sorry about that...I will fix it and see what it looks like.

Last edited by UberDork; 03-23-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2006   #13
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Interesting stuff. If you want to look at how good a defense is take a look at turnover ratio and 3rd down efficency. I can't remember what ours were last year, but they were pretty bad.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
Interesting stuff. If you want to look at how good a defense is take a look at turnover ratio and 3rd down efficency. I can't remember what ours were last year, but they were pretty bad.
Houston was -8 on turnovers. That looks a little worse than it was considering there were 5 turnovers in week 1. In any event it ranked 26th. The Texans were actually 17th on 3rd downs allowed.
Old 03-23-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Houston was -8 on turnovers. That looks a little worse than it was considering there were 5 turnovers in week 1. In any event it ranked 26th. The Texans were actually 17th on 3rd downs allowed.
How about 1st downs allowed on first and second down?
Old 03-23-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Never seen those stats. If you find a source please link it. I'd bet it was bad though--Houston had the 4th least 3rd down attempts against us while having the 12th most offensive plays run against us.
Old 03-23-2006   #17
UberDork
Veteran

Quote:
Our opponents had 348 total first downs with 260 of them coming on 1st or 2nd downs...75%. We had 243 total first downs with 160 of them coming on 1st or 2nd down...66%
Old 03-23-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDork
Our opponents had 348 total first downs with 260 of them coming on 1st or 2nd downs...75%. We had 243 total first downs with 160 of them coming on 1st or 2nd down...66%
My question was actually rhetorical; I felt it had to be bad given our middling third down performance.

However, you've found some interesting numbers. Where did you find them? Now I would really like to know how many 1st and 2nd down plays we defensed to give up 260 first downs, and how many we ran to get 160.
Old 03-23-2006   #19
UberDork
Veteran

Quote:
Where did you find them?
I just got them from the Texans stats page...there is a lot of info burried in there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read